Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

No but the link is busted in my browser too. Let's try this instead :

https://gfycat.com/BriefBlaringGeese-mobile.mp4

That's doing the same thing in the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, sniped even before my own expected stealth edit

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If I remember correctly, the forums code automatically "fixes" the video url so it becomes "..-mobile-mobile-..."
I thought JoY fixed that but apparently it's still a thing.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BriefBlaringGeese-mobile.mp4

E: welp thumbs.com is NOT sfw I guess

Sereri fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 29, 2020

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

zenguitarman posted:

After the latest update my phone freezes for a few seconds after I go back from Twitter when I open it through Awful App, is this a thing?

Edit: major lag going back to the awful app from any app apparently

So I guess it's not just me. Or you if you came here to report this :v:

It's also slow when just toggling to the app switcher and back as well as to the reply screen and back.
I'm guessing it's a webview update or something but hadn't had time to investigate.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah getting odd freezes at the moment too

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol the app thinks the s20 ultra is a tablet I think. At least in thread view.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Settings > device and navigation

Maybe we should, instead of automatically using tablet mode, instead show a pop-up once that asks the user "yo is this a tablet y/n?", then use that to populate this setting initially.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I looked it up and we calculate the screen size in inch. Everything above 6.5" is considered a tablet.
:allears:

I guess we can update this to like 7.0 but lol if you buy a phone this big maybe you should be stuck with tablet mode.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sereri posted:

Settings > device and navigation

Maybe we should, instead of automatically using tablet mode, instead show a pop-up once that asks the user "yo is this a tablet y/n?", then use that to populate this setting initially.

Thx. And ya probably. Or just make 6.9 inch the max since this is big even for my Shaq hands

App is great otherwise

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 4, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google just needs to get rid of Tablet Mode, because that poo poo's ugly, dumb, and useless on an actual tablet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Instead of looking at screen size you should probably just look at aspect ratio. A tablet will not have anywhere near the kind of aspect ratio that a phone will have and tablet mode is built around a screen that is more square.

Tablets are usually around the standard 4:3 and 16:10 sizes, while modern phones are typically around 20:9. Maybe use both stats? Large screen and square aspect ratio?

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 4, 2020

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Sereri posted:

I looked it up and we calculate the screen size in inch. Everything above 6.5" is considered a tablet.
:allears:

i have a regular pixel 2 with the 5" screen and this is happening to me as well, suddenly

e- current device & navigation screen

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
On my ancient phone running Android. 6.0 text in posts won't load. Tried different fonts and themes, no luck. I can see thread titles and my own posts as I type them bht not any actual posts

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

On my ancient phone running Android. 6.0 text in posts won't load. Tried different fonts and themes, no luck. I can see thread titles and my own posts as I type them bht not any actual posts

Works fine on my phone running 6.0.1. So, the first question is, do you have an update for Webview?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Just mentioning here that the app is now freezing for a couple seconds when fast switching back from another app (Pixel 3, newest os update).

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

Just mentioning here that the app is now freezing for a couple seconds when fast switching back from another app (Pixel 3, newest os update).

Pixel 2, same thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I get the same thing on mine (Moto G6 Play) but it very obviously got way worse after my system update a week or so back. Same as a lot of other apps, so I figured it was related to that.

stratego
May 6, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Pixel 2, same thing.

Pixel 4xl same thing.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

smoobles posted:

My Pixel 3a was fine until today. I installed the March feature update thing this morning. Think webview updated last week though.

I'm seeing it on page load as well as app switching

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Also I loving love this app, it's the only way I read SA anymore. Wanted to drop a positive comment instead of only showing up to dump a bug report here.

Is there any way to throw OP a few bucks for their work on it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Where does the app export settings to? I need to reinstall but when I go to Restore settings I can't find the backup. Android 10.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what OS version and Chrome/Webview version are youse all on with the slow problem thing

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does the app export settings to? I need to reinstall but when I go to Restore settings I can't find the backup. Android 10.

In the import picker it's Internal Storage > awful and it should be in there

But it looks like if you hit Export and you haven't granted write permission, if you say yes it doesn't actually do the export - you have to hit Export again after granting the permission

that said it should pull in your prefs from the online backup when you install the app? doesn't hurt to export the settings just to be sure. All that stuff's pretty old but as far as I'm aware it still works?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

what OS version and Chrome/Webview version are youse all on with the slow problem thing

A10 and whatever the most current chome version is. It doesn't happen for me right away, it will take on or two threads until I notice the slowdown when coming back to the app.
I also noticed that it happens in the previous version as well, I have an old beta build of 3.6.8 and it does the same thing.
I checked and there is no error in the web console. Haven't checked the logcat though.

Oh and it's just when you tab out on the threadview , anything native is fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pixel 4 XL, Android 10, Webview version 80.0.3987.132.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

A10 and whatever the most current chome version is. It doesn't happen for me right away, it will take on or two threads until I notice the slowdown when coming back to the app.
I also noticed that it happens in the previous version as well, I have an old beta build of 3.6.8 and it does the same thing.
I checked and there is no error in the web console. Haven't checked the logcat though.

Oh and it's just when you tab out on the threadview , anything native is fine.

oh right guess I should update that emulator from 9 :v: love that there's no info on what this new update involves

I'll have a go at profiling it and see if I can spot anything

smoobles posted:

Also I loving love this app, it's the only way I read SA anymore. Wanted to drop a positive comment instead of only showing up to dump a bug report here.

Is there any way to throw OP a few bucks for their work on it?

cheers bud! but we're aight

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 14, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

LastInLine posted:

Same specs for me, too. Experiencing the odd freeze issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Same software on a Pixel 3.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Same specs, same issue

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Pixel 2
A10 build QQ2A.200305.002

Webview version 80.0.3987.132

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Just for an additional data point, I'm on a Galaxy S8+ with Android 9 and Chrome 80.0.3987.132, and haven't noticed anything like that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Pixel 4 XL
Android 10
Build QQ2A.200305.003
Android System WebView version 80.0.3987.132

And I'm also getting the couple second freeze when I switch back to Awful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got a WebView update that seems to solve the issue, although I only tested for a few minutes.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
hmm I just did an update and the problem still occurs :( :( :(

happens as well if you view an image and then press the back button.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird it happened to me too but only after I tardily applied the monthly update

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slowdown happened immediately after phone update :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Might revert OS because this app is actually my most used app now, tragically

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, even after the recent Webview update it's still slow switching back.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

edit: misread

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My posts are no longer highlighted. Nor are posts by the OP. I checked the settings and they're still selected. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was just starting initial research to post about my app crashing when I use the "find on page" function, and whaddaya know:

Thanks folks :toot: