Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, it's deffo looking that way after this week.

Also, I saw Greta Thunberg in Bristol today, by which I mean I stood around in the mud while it pissed down with rain for an hour and a half, then Greta rocked up and spoke for 4 minutes. It was... kinda inspiring, I guess. It was pretty funny to see the long series of preliminary speakers wibbling on with the crowd all applauding politely but visibly thinking: "Just get Greta onstage ffs, it's cold and I'm soaking wet!"

(Or maybe that was just me projecting.)

I tried to watch a video of her speech on my phone (hence no adblock) and Bristol Post made me sit through two 30 second ads, first for an SUV and then for a leafblower :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Please Like and Retweet. And clap.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Apraxin posted:

Ah, so you're one of the monsters responsible for this terrible atrocity:
https://twitter.com/BeebJournalist/status/1233371686403280897

gosh, imagine the horrors of having to look at that for a week until its back to normal

genuinely amazing work avoiding the flower patches though

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They destroyed the grass which is GREEN so much for the """"green""" lobby ahaha GOTCHA!!! :smug:

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

crispix posted:

They destroyed the grass which is GREEN so much for the """"green""" lobby ahaha GOTCHA!!! :smug:

angling for a writing job on HIGNFY, eh?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In all honesty, I fully expect those pics to be circulating on Facebook soon, with "Green hypocrisy!!!" Written all over then.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

I tried to watch a video of her speech on my phone (hence no adblock) and Bristol Post made me sit through two 30 second ads, first for an SUV and then for a leafblower :v:

I think the Post is owned by the same faceless conglomerate that's bought up most local newspapers and in consequence is utterly unreadable without ad and script blockers.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

angling for a writing job on HIGNFY, eh?

Writing? But it's a hilarious topical panel show :confused:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think Thunberg is past her fifteen minutes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Anyone here gone through a remortgaging process before?

We're just in the process of doing one and get the gist of it save for house valuation.

The advisor we're speaking to said he tried to look up comparable house prices and couldn't find anything concrete, but said he thinks our house has dropped in value by about 10k since 2 years ago (it's a new build in an estate that's not quite finished but all the houses have been snapped up).

What does a drop in value mean in real terms? Presumably we still have to pay back the sum of the initial value when we bought the place so if we go with a new provider we still pay the £x + 10,000 - [2 years of repayments] to them?

The drop is a bit of a surprise though. I haven't been following house prices, but like I said, the ones around me have all been snapped up and new builds are popping up just a 5/10 minute drive away at almost 60% higher prices (though they're different builders.

Do you typically get a proper house evaluation when you go through this or just rely on the mortgage advisor with a bit of Googling and Zoopla?

Edit: funny anecdote. My only previous exposure to remortgages is in references from TV shows where it seemed to be painted as a thing that needed done because folk were struggling to pay bills. :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 28, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

Who would like some delicious tory whining this lunchtime, from the telegraph, a paper whose dumb old bastard staff don't realise you can bypass their subscription block by stopping the page before it fully loads? Careful this one is spicy! World's tiniest violin for this hard done by lady.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/tired-friends-bullying-right-wing/

Like oh no your friends like to have a dig at your lovely opinions. They're still your friends, clearly you still get invites to social functions be they fancy parties or just lunch with a couple of mates. Meanwhile, trans people get, you know, abandoned by people, booted from their families and homes, verbally abused, beaten, raped, murdered. Maybe delegitimizing us and both directly being an arsehole as well as contributing to the culture that enables such treatment is actually something you shouldn't do and your friends have amazing largesse (Or more likely cowardice) in letting you hang out with them when they know you're an industrial grade melonhead.

Cunts whining because society has advanced to the point where people will actually call you out for being a oval office is an evergreen source of :qq: but it does get a bit tiresome at times. Why in the entire gently caress should your opinions get respected when you don't even respect the core of my being?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 28, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Kin posted:

No, but I had to learn all about mortgages because they're making me teach it.

Yeah, the value of the house is unrelated to the amount you owe. A mortgage is just a loan, the house is just security. When people talk about "negative equity", that means the house has decreased in value to less than the total amount you owe, meaning that if you default they can take the house and you still owe them money.

With regard to the valuation, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Mortgage lenders tend to err on the low side when making their calculations these days, apparently there was some furore a decade or so ago about sub-prime mortgages?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

meaning that if you default they can take the house and you still owe them money.

That's true either way. Legal fees are added to the amount you owe, and if they can't sell the house quickly they'll take a low offer on it. If you're behind enough that they're repossessing the interest and fees can easily put you deep into the red even once the house is gone.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

if they can't sell the house quickly they'll take a low offer on it.
But they are under a duty of care to get the best price that they reasonably can, so it's only if it's a hard sell this might happen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

With regard to the valuation, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
It is a topical joke. :v:

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Kin posted:

We're just in the process of doing one and get the gist of it save for house valuation.

The advisor we're speaking to said he tried to look up comparable house prices and couldn't find anything concrete, but said he thinks our house has dropped in value by about 10k since 2 years ago (it's a new build in an estate that's not quite finished but all the houses have been snapped up).

What does a drop in value mean in real terms? Presumably we still have to pay back the sum of the initial value when we bought the place so if we go with a new provider we still pay the £x + 10,000 - [2 years of repayments] to them?

The drop is a bit of a surprise though. I haven't been following house prices, but like I said, the ones around me have all been snapped up and new builds are popping up just a 5/10 minute drive away at almost 60% higher prices (though they're different builders.

Do you typically get a proper house evaluation when you go through this or just rely on the mortgage advisor with a bit of Googling and Zoopla?

Edit: funny anecdote. My only previous exposure to remortgages is in references from TV shows where it seemed to be painted as a thing that needed done because folk were struggling to pay bills. :/

The value matters mostly for working out what rates are available to you. There’ll be different packages at different interest rates, available for different LTV (loan to value) percentages. £75k owed on a £100k value house is 75% LTV. Generally a better LTV (lower %) will give you better interest rates which will give you lower repayments.

It’s really only a problem if you end up owing more than your house is valued at (I.e. your house dropped in value more than you’ve paid off so far) because no one offers a >100% LTV mortgage and you’d end up losing money if you were forced into the position of selling your house.

I remortgaged with Halifax twice and they just estimated the value based on (I assume) the area/similar properties. Which is nice because you don’t have to tidy up for someone to poke around your place.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Kin posted:

What does a drop in value mean in real terms?

It means nothing directly until you sell. The only thing it will have an impact on is the LTV (Loan to Value) ratio, and hence the %age interest they will try to charge you.

For example, on my recent remortgage the 'value' of my house mysteriously dropped by £25k meaning I had >75% LTV and had to pay an additional 0.3% interest.

E: Beaten like an algorithmic trader which keeps trying to prop up the market.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

Eh, find a new advisor, or just do it yourself using a price comparison website. Remortgaging is much the same as car insurance: one place'll quote you £500, the next'll quote you £1,800 on exactly the same inputs. It all comes down to whatever algorithm they're using. Given the nationwide housing crisis, I highly doubt that your flat has 'dropped' by £10k in the last few years (Unless its got that Grenfell cladding or something).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm wondering whether we will even be able to remortgage when our current fixed rate expires, we were both working full time when we got it, and I'll be working part-time and she'll be self-employed by then. We can still trivially afford repayments, and the value of the house has dramatically increased, so I guess we'll see as and when the mortgage comes up.

I've been more or less ignoring it for a while, but I suspect I'm going to have to actually think about it before the interest rates skyrocket because of Brexit.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I seem to remember there's a UKMTer that works for the National Trust. Are you still posting, as I have a job interview with them and wanted to ask some questions about working for them. I have PM's if that helps!
Thanks

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It is worth remembering Mortgage advisors are less inclined to do what is best for you and more inclined to do what makes them the most money. A recommended mortgage advisor quoted us a full 50k under what the bank directly offered us with our deposit when house hunting. Yes the rate wasn't as favourable as it perhaps could have been, but it got us the house we wanted.

Definitely shop around, as others have said it is odd that your property value has dropped when it has seemingly gone up across the country.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm wondering whether we will even be able to remortgage when our current fixed rate expires, we were both working full time when we got it, and I'll be working part-time and she'll be self-employed by then. We can still trivially afford repayments, and the value of the house has dramatically increased, so I guess we'll see as and when the mortgage comes up.

I've been more or less ignoring it for a while, but I suspect I'm going to have to actually think about it before the interest rates skyrocket because of Brexit.

I serially remortgaged with the same company (RBS) and never once was I asked about my job.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

thespaceinvader posted:

If you stay with the same lender but switch to a retention product there shouldn't be any looking into your finances.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cheers for the advice, that's a lot clearer now.

This kinda feels like the stuff like taxes and economics they should be teaching as standard in schools.

As an aside, i think the advisor is maybe a bit off the mark too. He basically based the price drop being because it's a new build which "typically drops in value like a new car" and because he couldn't see any houses in my estate selling for the value we paid for it.

The thing is, the estate i'm in is made up of about 6 different house types. Some are technically the same because they've got the same number of bedrooms etc, but they're different sizes and the purchase price for them when new fluctuated by quite a bit per model and by where they were in the estate.

I.e. the models just like mine at the side of the estate right next to the busy A road were about £20k cheaper.

On top of that, zoopla said the average price for houses in my area has actually increased by 3% over the last 12 months.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

As an aside, i think the advisor is maybe a bit off the mark too. He basically based the price drop being because it's a new build which "typically drops in value like a new car" and because he couldn't see any houses in my estate selling for the value we paid for it.

Yeah I'm no expert, but definitely shop around a bit

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Catzilla posted:

I seem to remember there's a UKMTer that works for the National Trust. Are you still posting, as I have a job interview with them and wanted to ask some questions about working for them. I have PM's if that helps!
Thanks

Yes, still posting and still working. PM me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
itshappening.gif

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1233497573459140619?s=19

Genuinely might be the dumbest "smart" person.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Emma Kennedy is the sort of person that would have seen Buttigieg's poorly manufactured attempt at making a viral video the other day and find it inspiring.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Can I suggest getting in touch with professional mortgage services (pms-uk.org) - while they charge a fee each time I’ve used them the total charge was always less than going direct. For instance my Santander mortgage should have at a £999 fee to set up directly, but they managed to get this waived so I paid a £300 fee to them and nothing to Santander. It’s worth seeing what they can find you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The great thing about twitter is that is shows that every last public "intellectual" is either hilariously credulous, or riddled with brain worms.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

She peaked at "flighty"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Can I suggest getting in touch with professional mortgage services (pms-uk.org) - while they charge a fee each time I’ve used them the total charge was always less than going direct. For instance my Santander mortgage should have at a £999 fee to set up directly, but they managed to get this waived so I paid a £300 fee to them and nothing to Santander. It’s worth seeing what they can find you.

The main reason we're even doing this just now is because we were contacted by imhelpline.co.uk who said we had lifetime support by them or something because of the group we went with to help us find a mortgage when we bought the house.

I thought it was a scam at first until i started looking into the new homes group. The guy we spoke to was super helpful and detailed so I've no doubts about his ability to find a decent mortgage based on what type of lifestyle we wanted, but i think the nuances of our house were maybe a bit beyond him when he came up with his valuation.

If someone else independently values the house on behalf of the new mortgage they'll probably get a more accurate figure i hope.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New builds do have a reputation of being overpriced due to the Help To Buy scheme, but it varies hugely depending on when you bought and where. The best way to get an idea is get some estate agents round to value it, then err on the low side because that's what the mortgage valuer will do. When you get offered the new mortgage, the rate will be based on your LTV so if the valuation comes in +/- enough to stay within the LTV you discuss with the mortgage company then it should all be fine.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Could any of you good folk give some advice to a pea brain.

If you had a week booked in Tuscany at the end of April, would you go or would you cancel it? I really don't want to, but the folks at work told scared the poo poo out of me.

Thank you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

bornbytheriver posted:

If you had a week booked in Tuscany at the end of April, would you go or would you cancel it? I really don't want to, but the folks at work told scared the poo poo out of me.

Thank you.

Tuscany isnt sufficiently south for me to take the risk. I would cancel. I know the virus is over hyped but if you know anyone with immunodeficiency or work with anyone who does... just, be on the safe side I guess. You probably wouldn't be in any danger but there's other people in society.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Tuscany isnt sufficiently south for me to take the risk. I would cancel. I know the virus is over hyped but if you know anyone with immunodeficiency or work with anyone who does... just, be on the safe side I guess. You probably wouldn't be in any danger but there's other people in society.

Thank you

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Also report to your nearest People's Commissar for re-education for taking a holiday in Tuscany.

e: Actual legit advice, check your bookings/travel arrangements to see when the latest date is that you can cancel without penalty (or without the penalty increasing) and make your decision then - it's entirely possible that in 4 weeks time this will have all blown over and you'll feel silly for cancelling, or that it turns out the virus is made much more deadly by light drizzle and casual racism and you'll need to flee the country.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 29, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Man the panic over Coronavirus I’m seeing from Americans is kinda bonkers. Like it will probably be bad, but it will pass, and the vast majority will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bornbytheriver posted:

Thank you.

Depending how much you've spent, and whether you have travel insurance, why not wait until/unless the Foreign Office says not to go in which case insurance would probably pay up.

Keep an eye here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy