Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Violator posted:

Anyone know why Plex only shows review excerpts for a small fraction of movies? I’m not sure what the criteria is, it’s a mix of new and old movies but only a small number of them have reviews on the movie info page. This is on Apple TV.

It's pulling all of the metadata from The Movie DB or whatever, so I'm assuming that there was an error matching your files to DB entries (try "fix match") or pulling some or all of the metadata (try "refresh metadata.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

It's pulling all of the metadata from The Movie DB or whatever, so I'm assuming that there was an error matching your files to DB entries (try "fix match") or pulling some or all of the metadata (try "refresh metadata.")

Ahh makes sense. I’ll investigate that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I had my windows 7 plex box headless for years, I just used tightvnc/realvnc to get into it from my laptop (tight on the server side, and an older version of vncviewer to connect to it, I don't remember why, I think the quality was better?). Every now and again it would gently caress up and I'd have to plug it into the tv to work out wtf, but 99% of the time it worked fine. Never needed to access it from outside my home, though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So funnily enough, after saying Linux has been fine for me here, all of a sudden my NAS folder won't mount on boot. It'll mount with 'mount -a' after it's booted, no problem, but no dice on boot itself. The only thing has changed is the media folder has been getting bigger over time, so maybe it's timing out or something.

Whatever, I might just switch to Windows now because after about an hour of half-hearted troubleshooting, I don't know if I want to deal with this.

Pretty funny timing though!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How are you guys doing automatic backup on your Plex servers? I haven't been able to find a home product with an adequate amount of data storage.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My Plex server has almost nothing on it. I backup the database manually every once and a while because losing out on a couple months worth of viewing data and having to redownload some metadata isn't terrible. I don't remember it being especially large so it shouldn't be that hard to automate.

If you're talking about the actual media, no I don't backup the media on my NAS because that's a lot of space and isn't worth it. I backup the tax documents and family photos and poo poo though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How are you guys doing automatic backup on your Plex servers? I haven't been able to find a home product with an adequate amount of data storage.

Actual media backup? I don't bother. Once a month I have a cronjob that spits out a directory listing of the media volumes which is then emailed to me. Most of my stuff is replaceable. If you have stuff you personally ripped then I would probably back that up with Crashplan or run my own Nextcloud server. That gets expensive though and most of my stuff I could just get again. Some people abuse the Google Drive and OneDrive free account thing but it seems like a hassle to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I tried the Crashplan route, and quickly gave up when it was estimating it would take 2 years to backup my media. It has new software since I last used it, but it seems equally as bad (like it literally took a weekend to work out how to process the test backup I setup - a single test file).

I feel with abusing Google Drive etc you're just asking for trouble, probably not in the form of law enforcement or anything but just everything being gone one day and it being a pointless endeavor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I tried the Crashplan route, and quickly gave up when it was estimating it would take 2 years to backup my media. It has new software since I last used it, but it seems equally as bad (like it literally took a weekend to work out how to process the test backup I setup - a single test file).

I've been using crashplan for a while. It works......but I'm not backing up media. The slowdowns are their way of handling their "unlimited backups" - I was not surprised to find this out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's the only way it makes sense, and I nearly kept it active to have an offsite backup of my system drive but even that was painful and the software for all these things is godawful. Maybe I'll just do a monthly backup to a HDD and leave it at work or something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just don't want to have to rerip all my CDs when a hard drive dies on me.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you don't already, get a USB hard drive dock maybe? If it's just the ripped CDs you want to back up it shouldn't take that much space so you can just chuck them on a spare drive. Of course that's not automated and it'd be easier if you segregate those albums from the rest of your media, but PLEX shouldn't care and it's pretty low effort this way.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The super cheap & dirty way to create a 3-2-1 backup solution is going in with a friend or relative.
- Copy your important stuff to an external drive
- Encrypt it (Cryptomator or similar work well)
- Copy it to a friend's storage solution
- Keep it updated with SyncThing

Have your friend/relative mirror the above and you've now both got an off-system backup and an off-site backup.

This works best for documents, music and photos where only relatively small amounts of data change over time. Dumping a 30Gb TV series into this rapidly gets you behind the curve, but then this is usually true of cloud backups in general.

e: you can also just leave a copy of the data with a friend/relative if you see them often enough anyway and ignore the cloud-sync part.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 12, 2020

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I had a year at a discounted rate after Crashplan removed their home plans, but I switched to Backblaze after that was up, it's been working well enough in the last year or so, was able to retrieve some corrupted files from backup a few times without issue, and not too bad cost-wise at $60 per year for 1 PC (For my laptop I just use syncthing to one-way sync specific folders over to my desktop, which is then backed up by Backblaze)

It is purported to be completely 'unlimited', I have 1.5 TB backed up right now, though I haven't pointed it at my media drive yet. Only thing that you might consider a downside is that it backs up your entire drive by default, and doesn't allow you to select only a few directories; rather you have to set exclusions of specific folders or file types.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Gsuite is working for me so far...5TB backed up for $15/month.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just finished up migrating my set up over to a Linux server. I've got Plex running inside a docker container but hardware transcoding doesn't seem to be working.

I'm a Plex pass user and have a Xeon E 2224G which I believe has QSV so hardware transcoding should be available right?

I've read I need to expose the graphics driver to the container so I've passed /dev/dri but still no luck.

I'm not sure if it's a docker issue or otherwise. Is there anything else I should try before running Plex outside of the container?

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked Tautulli and it seems to be working now on a remote stream. Perhaps the file I was using as a test couldn't use hw transcode for some reason?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 16, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How often does Plex Pass lifetime go on sale? Is it just BF and major holidays? I could really use it for hardware transcoding and separate users, but don't feel like shelling out $120 or whatever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think a lot of their sales are now targeted, but once or twice a year?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

IIRC, someone was stating in order to be ‘targeted’, you should sign up for monthly for 1-2 months. Eventually you’ll get an offer in your inbox. Not sure if that actually works though.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I am building a new server at home that will run double time for Plex / jellyfin, what is a good bang for your buck GPU for hardware transcoding?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Not really related to this thread but its the closest I can think of.

I have the classic sabnzbd/radarr/plex setup and its working great. But I underestimated my storage requirements. Whats the best software to burn files into playable DVD movies? I know this is going back to the stone age but I'd like to be able to burn some movies to disc to use later.

Also I got the plexpass lifetime deal after a signed up for a trial. About two weeks later I got a half off lifetime deal that I ultimately signed up for.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

If I am building a new server at home that will run double time for Plex / jellyfin, what is a good bang for your buck GPU for hardware transcoding?

I do GPU passthrough to a used Quadro P2000 I picked up for around $200 on eBay and it's far more than I need. Both Plex and Jellyfin were able to use it under Ubuntu 18.04 with no issues, just had to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Is anyone using the Hue Stream App in combination with Plex on an Nvidia Shield?
If so, how is it?

I’ve installed Hue Stream onto my Bravia Smart TV, and there’s a dip in Plex’s frame rate when using it. The dip ranges from unnoticeable to marginal for 1080p and below but 4k is made unwatchable by it.

I’m assuming this is because the TV has a relatively low spec and wondered if it’s still a problem on the shield?

derk
Sep 24, 2004
just chiming in that i noticed the disable transcode option in the transcoder options in one of the newer builds, not sure exactly when it was added. But i have been using it as i know all my users can direct play, but sometimes after updates their devices will have stuff transcoded which i try to avoid as much as possible. my bandwidth is open enough to handle just about every one of my users at the same time which never happens for direct play. I noticed someone watching a movie the other day that was being transcoded for no reason as i know his device plays my titles directly any other time and instead of trying to contact him i clicked that disable transcode button and rebooted Plex. He connected back shortly and resumed his movie and voila Tautulli told me it was being direct played.

So far it has been working flawlessly. Easier to set that then to explain or setup peoples devices to direct play as it is not set to that as default behavior.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

derk posted:

just chiming in that i noticed the disable transcode option in the transcoder options in one of the newer builds, not sure exactly when it was added. But i have been using it as i know all my users can direct play, but sometimes after updates their devices will have stuff transcoded which i try to avoid as much as possible. my bandwidth is open enough to handle just about every one of my users at the same time which never happens for direct play. I noticed someone watching a movie the other day that was being transcoded for no reason as i know his device plays my titles directly any other time and instead of trying to contact him i clicked that disable transcode button and rebooted Plex. He connected back shortly and resumed his movie and voila Tautulli told me it was being direct played.

So far it has been working flawlessly. Easier to set that then to explain or setup peoples devices to direct play as it is not set to that as default behavior.

loving finally!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So I need some help. Currently, I’m stuck in a living situation where I have to use mobile hot spot data to access the internet. To my dismay, I also discovered that using a plex server over AT&T’s hot spot plan gobbles up the very minuscule internet I have available to me(15 GB).

I still have my old router, so I thought I’d use the information here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/amp/ to set up being able to use my plex without internet and just by connecting to the router, but I’ve not been able to have any of my devices connect to my plex server, not even the computer to which it’s installed. I’m not sure what I did wrong, and I’m still getting connection errors even when I use Plex Media Player on the same computer with my internet connected, so now I’m paranoid I’m going to use up my data if I try to watch something on Plex at all.

I’m pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter, so I’m not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help me?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alright, I'm having a media matching issue again. I have two servers running in two different locations, and they have the same movie library. The newer server is pulling metadata upon successful matches, while the older one (my original PMS, which has been running for ~4 years) is not, even when files are manually matched to DB entries. This started recently (over the past month or so) and it's obviously not a [remote] DB issue, because again the second server is working normally. So what is preventing my original PMS from displaying metadata for new files? (This is effecting all new movie files at this point.)

Nodosaur posted:

So I need some help. Currently, I’m stuck in a living situation where I have to use mobile hot spot data to access the internet. To my dismay, I also discovered that using a plex server over AT&T’s hot spot plan gobbles up the very minuscule internet I have available to me(15 GB).

I still have my old router, so I thought I’d use the information here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/amp/ to set up being able to use my plex without internet and just by connecting to the router, but I’ve not been able to have any of my devices connect to my plex server, not even the computer to which it’s installed. I’m not sure what I did wrong, and I’m still getting connection errors even when I use Plex Media Player on the same computer with my internet connected, so now I’m paranoid I’m going to use up my data if I try to watch something on Plex at all.

I’m pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter, so I’m not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help me?

If you can't connect to your server from the same machine on which it's running, then that sounds like the server isn't actually running at all (which vaguely reminds me of someone else having the same issue over the past few pages.) Beyond that, it's something I'd have to play around with to figure out what was going on.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

derk posted:

What happens if you want to watch Plex on your phone but you don't want it to stream a 30GB MKV over your cell connection? Do you have to remote into your server to turn it back on?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Alright, I'm having a media matching issue again. I have two servers running in two different locations, and they have the same movie library. The newer server is pulling metadata upon successful matches, while the older one (my original PMS, which has been running for ~4 years) is not, even when files are manually matched to DB entries. This started recently (over the past month or so) and it's obviously not a [remote] DB issue, because again the second server is working normally. So what is preventing my original PMS from displaying metadata for new files? (This is effecting all new movie files at this point.)

If you can't connect to your server from the same machine on which it's running, then that sounds like the server isn't actually running at all (which vaguely reminds me of someone else having the same issue over the past few pages.) Beyond that, it's something I'd have to play around with to figure out what was going on.

I figured out was wrong there. It turns out I was running it from an older version of Plex Media Player when I’d already installed Plex for Windows. Still trying to figure out the other stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What happens if you want to watch Plex on your phone but you don't want it to stream a 30GB MKV over your cell connection? Do you have to remote into your server to turn it back on?

If your Plex server is remotely accessible, you can manage it remotely as well. Worst case you'd need to use the web client to change the server config since a lot of those screens aren't exposed to the mobile clients.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

If your Plex server is remotely accessible, you can manage it remotely as well. Worst case you'd need to use the web client to change the server config since a lot of those screens aren't exposed to the mobile clients.

exactly this.

i never stream anything to my phone over cell connection except music.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Quick question for the Nvidia Shield Pro users - is the power supply dual voltage? My Google Fu isn't helping.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tyro posted:

Quick question for the Nvidia Shield Pro users - is the power supply dual voltage? My Google Fu isn't helping.

Yes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Sweet, thanks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My plex pass expired. All I use plex for is streaming locally and streaming for family (not mobile). Is there any reason to renew? I don't care about trailers or pre rolls etc

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

My plex pass expired. All I use plex for is streaming locally and streaming for family (not mobile). Is there any reason to renew? I don't care about trailers or pre rolls etc

Hardware transcoding and separate users or something.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not liking this new Mac player app. Seems like just using the web UI is better.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My annual pass is about to expire as well. If I grab a couple of monthlies are they likely to offer a discounted life membership?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
with NHL, NBA and NHL cancelled they may start charging more :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does anyone use Sonarr and the whole “use hardlinks instead of copy” feature? My computer is definitely just copying instead of hardlinking, and I have no idea why. I have the setting to yes but it’s not working. Anyone else ever have this problem?Where should I go to try and figure this out? Sonarr is version 2.whatever. Should I go for the v3 beta?