Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What percentage of jobs in the US are even possible to work from home? Like you need workers on site for the service sector, healthcare, and industrial work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've personally never had a job where working from home is even possible.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vishass posted:

my wife's company is actually taking it seriously and is prepared to hit the "everyone telecommute" button the moment poo poo pops off

My job... just counted 4 people coughing within 20 feet of me while I was writing this

Two of my coworkers within arms reach have been out sick and are back coughing away, so I'm infected. Also my mom and in laws are all coming to my kids bday party tomorrow. Rip mom

The best part is this job is entirely on computers and could be done remotely but the company doesn't want anyone to do that. Also we have shared keys for the bathrooms. Delightful!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Atrocious Joe posted:

What percentage of jobs in the US are even possible to work from home? Like you need workers on site for the service sector, healthcare, and industrial work.

My job is 100% possible and trivial to do from home but you're not allowed to. I've been sending corona virus maps to my boss but I'm not getting any traction.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

BONGHITZ posted:

i havnt gone to costco yet also id ont know how to cook

what should i pick up

dont say beans beacuse you can only eat so many acns of beans in one day or you will die

trust me i watched steve1989's mre videos

just buy whatever you eat anyway, just more of it

get a good variety of things plus condiments and treats

get toilet paper and dish soap and other things you don't want to run out of

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BONGHITZ posted:

what should i pick up

dont say beans beacuse you can only eat so many acns of beans in one day or you will die

A cookbook.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Dog Toothbrush posted:

oh my loving god it owns how the US response to this is so insanely incompetent it veers directly into conspiracy theory territory

Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches. Let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BONGHITZ posted:

what should i pick up

lentils and brown rice are a complete protein. go ted cruz on some canned soup. canned tuna and vegetables are good. im basically making sure my pantry is full of foods I eat already because, well, ill eat what i buy regardless. i dont know what I'd do with a bunch of mres or whatever lol

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

27 days :rolleyes: big woop, doomer

71%

Kill ratio is still higher than other reports.

that 18000 number is based on suspected kill ratio being 2%, when Iran probably actually got it, and travel patterns.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

what should i pick up

dry beans

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

So what's happening in China lately? Are they actually getting over it or just hiding the extent of it now or ???

Honestly, China is likely recovering due to the strict lockdown. They've likely decreased their r0 significantly.

That being said, I absolutely believe if they start opening up shop it's going to pop right back off. They haven't developed herd immunity. The vaccine is still a year out.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Dustcat posted:

just buy whatever you eat anyway, just more of it

get a good variety of things plus condiments and treats

get toilet paper and dish soap and other things you don't want to run out of

at the rate our government is going you might not even have to worry about shelf life

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
u fuckers never answered me yesterday

can u survive indefinitely off of jars of pickles + multivitamins? i know in my heart that i can but what do u think?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

try not to get the glossy ones. they dont digest well.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BONGHITZ posted:

what should i pick up

dubliner cheese

giant tub of pretzels

like 20 lbs of sweet potatoes

a few handles of gin

10 lbs of pacific gold beef jerky

kirkland peanut butter

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

can u survive indefinitely off of jars of pickles + multivitamins? i know in my heart that i can but what do u think?

No. In this situation pickles are best applied to anus.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bring back old gbs posted:

the pickle brine will preserve all your internals and you'll live forever imo

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I bought some stuff at Costco and learned I don't have anywhere in my house to store two weeks of extra food.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mastershakeman posted:

Two of my coworkers within arms reach have been out sick and are back coughing away, so I'm infected. Also my mom and in laws are all coming to my kids bday party tomorrow. Rip mom

The best part is this job is entirely on computers and could be done remotely but the company doesn't want anyone to do that. Also we have shared keys for the bathrooms. Delightful!
Keys for the bathrooms??

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Atrocious Joe posted:

A lot of things requiring doc prep or computer touching can just be done from home.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1233473979400282113?s=20

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Keys for the bathrooms??

Yes you pick up the key when the shift manager writes your hall pass for the bathroom.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Keys for the bathrooms??

theyre attached to rulers so people dont pocket them. i wonder which inch is least germy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eat This Glob posted:

the pickle brine will preserve all your internals and you'll live forever imo

Zotix posted:

No. In this situation pickles are best applied to anus.

daily brine enema is on the list thx

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

At least we can break up this coronavirus monotony by watching the tight rope walker dude fall into an active volcano on Wednesday night on ABC.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zotix posted:

Yes you pick up the key when the shift manager writes your hall pass for the bathroom.

mastershakeman posted:

theyre attached to rulers so people dont pocket them. i wonder which inch is least germy
America truly is a dystopia.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Agronox posted:

I got to sit in on a presentation by a hospital group earlier today. One of the things the presenting doctor went over was testing. I tried to get this as best I can but forgive me if my notes are a little off.

Right now--this will change as more resources are available--ONLY the CDC can check for Covid-19 in the US. They will only test if you fall into one of the following three categories:

1. (Fever OR Lower Respiratory Illness) AND (Contact with a confirmed carrier within the last 14 days)

2. (Fever AND Lower Respiratory Illness) AND (Travel to areas affected by Covid-19)

3. (Fever AND Acute Severe Lower Respiratory Illness) AND (No other plausible explanation for the symptoms)

So unless you've had contact with someone with it or just came back from Milan or whatever, the only way you're getting a test is if you have fluid in your lungs and are at death's door

numbers 2 and 3 requires hospitalization

full criteria here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-criteria.html

Was updated yesterday 6pm to add #3 before it was only 1 and 2.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the cdc live call update was earlier today and had a few nuggets hidden in the q&a (call starts 20m in): https://youtu.be/6jpOXxMCRUc?t=1195

so you have to do a confirmatory test with the cdc and they'll take at least 48 hours, so that nyc case is probably still in the pipeline. they talked about the california case mentioned itt where cdc said no to testing for 4 days (from the 19th iirc). they're claiming their first call regarding this was received on the 23rd, and they have never said no to anyone for testing (lol). further to that they're trying to claim that there's clinical discretion in the criteria but that runs counter to too many sources at this point. they also don't want to talk about projected infections and preparations at this moment: just focus on how few we've detected

there's was more talk about the new test kit having two components, 6 trial cities for more testing by the end of next week, etc but i may not have caught that properly

That was a poo poo show. They are clearly misleading people about testing.

1.) as you point out they say the call from Sacremento was first received on Sunday the 23rd. Which is in dispute what the docs, and goon have said in Sacremento.
2.) They say they rely heavily on 'astute' clinitians and would never turn people away from a test and have not refused even one test. This is clearly false since its kind of crazy to imagine that in the whole country over a month there wasn't one idiot calling the CDC wanting a frivolous test, or even a naive doctor who needed the criteria clarified. Further false since you got a case in NY where the doc was so adamant about the test they told the guy to self quarantine. If that's real the CDC is flat out lying hard.
3) the reporters were focused on testing, but didn't push very hard. Maybe that's because they can't get back for follow up questions bit disappointing.
4) They expect 6 state testing facilities to be up and running today with the rest a goal of the rest of the states coming online by end of next week. No specific details on what states currently or what the extent of testing is.
5) CDC are sending out a new version of the testing kit with 2 regents vs the multi-reagent kits they had been sending out before which had a problem that invalidated some of the kits. They are saying now that all the old tests can be used still, but there was something about accuracy which I didn't catch.

It really feels like they are downplaying things and they moved very fast past the Sacramento call situation. Literally was 'Our records show the fist call was 23rd' and they moved on immediately.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Dog went raider on me, demands I refer to him as "Perro Jefe" I'm going to go record my thoughts on this in an audio log.

You need to eat him before he eats you; it's a dog eat dog world out there

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Vishass posted:

It didn't just start. Iran has been sitting on it for weeks. Canadian epidemiologists figure there's 18,000+ infected and Iran has been keeping it quiet since early Feb or so

I suspect there are a lot of infections in Pakistan and they're just not testing anyone, kinda like the US.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1233484754676305921

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

team genocide

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
guys work on this #selfquarantine thing really got it get it moving

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Limerick posted:

I suspect there are a lot of infections in Pakistan and they're just not testing anyone, kinda like the US.

It's kinda bizarre hearing how extremely effective this tactic is.

People at work today: "This is a joke, People are stupid, There are only 50 people with it in America! There hasn't even been a new case in weeks!"
Me: " New york?"
Them: "One person? Doesn't matter."

Talk Radio: "This is nuts. The vaccines look promising. There are only 50 cases in the US. This is a hoax"

I'm not going to go full Prester Jane here and claim that hordes of devolved humans are tearing the countryside asunder or anything but it's pretty easy to understand that the central idea of all of this denial is the number of cases and that number is objectively not accurate.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Indonesia is the 4th most populous country in the world, has 0 confirmed cases of coronavirus, and their one suspected case was ruled swine flu (after the man died). It's everywhere and no one even knows.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

weeee

https://twitter.com/BN9/status/1233486719154085888

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1233486417038368771?s=19

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
should i risk getting fired by refusing to fly to los angeles next week for a presentation?

on the one hand, avoiding travel seems obvious at this point. on the other, i won't get unemployment if i get fired this way

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

lmao the fundamentals have sucked rear end since the 20th century you liar

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm not going to go full Prester Jane here and claim that hordes of devolved humans are tearing the countryside asunder or anything but it's pretty easy to understand that the central idea of all of this denial is the number of cases and that number is objectively not accurate.

I live in middle Georgia and asked a cashier (White, 50ish) and manager (Black, 40ish) both women about Cornavirus while getting some things at Publix.

me: Are you guys worried?
manager: oh yes very this is scary!
cashier: *weird look as if I'm part of the deep state*
me: What if they announced like two or three hundred cases in us before next Friday
both: *terrified look*
manager: that would be terrifying
cashier: *look signifying it's clear i'm part of deep state*
manager: they are running out of tests!!!

Everyone I talk to over 40 is terrified, and everyone who is likely to be a conservative thinks its' all bullshit despite being scared and even acknowledging how hosed the US response is.

so there is some original content for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Dog Toothbrush posted:

should i risk getting fired by refusing to fly to los angeles next week for a presentation?

on the one hand, avoiding travel seems obvious at this point. on the other, i won't get unemployment if i get fired this way

How old are you?

How are your lungs doing?