Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Well I got off work early and got some dude to same day come and install a 14-50 plug for me in my garage.

Now all I need is a car

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Rad! Make sure to pick up one of the cheaper models, like an Audi e-Tron or a Tesla Model S performance.

Real talk, how much did it run, roughly?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Westy543 posted:

Rad! Make sure to pick up one of the cheaper models, like an Audi e-Tron or a Tesla Model S performance.

Real talk, how much did it run, roughly?

For the AWD Long Range it’s $54k, $61k if you pay for the full self driving.

It’s like the same price as the Model 3, I think sales of that are going to drop off a cliff as people opt for the more cargo space.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 28, 2020

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Well I got off work early and got some dude to same day come and install a 14-50 plug for me in my garage.

Now all I need is a car

This happened to me too, got a guy to install the outlet because he was already there doing some other stuff. A year later Tesla’s tax credit was ending and “we already have an outlet so..”

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

sanchez posted:

This happened to me too, got a guy to install the outlet because he was already there doing some other stuff. A year later Tesla’s tax credit was ending and “we already have an outlet so..”

Thankfully it was easy. I have a 200amp outside panel and a 100amp internal panel with some extra room at the bottom. All the big stuff is on the external (A.C./furnace, dryer, water heater) so I imagine I should be good unless I try and run everything in the house at the same time while charging.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

For the AWD Long Range it’s $54k, $61k if you pay for the full self driving.

It’s like the same price as the Model 3, I think sales of that are going to drop off a cliff as people opt for the more cargo space.

I meant getting the outlet installed. :cheeky:

Though I agree, apparently they intend to shift most of their Fremont production capacity to the Y.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is the 220v? plug in the garage in my rental.

What do I need to buy to use it for charging?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Now all I need is a car

I’m glad that at least there’s one electrician out there who knows how to install the receptacle with the ground wire up. I had to flip mine after noticing the mistake well after my guy took off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

;o

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

That is a 6-20 plug. It is indeed 220v, but only 20A. You can get EVSEs that will plug into it, but you will be limited to 16A/3.6kW.

I installed one of these in my garage for charging my Volt originally (it tops out at 3.6kW, so 6-20 was perfect).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

stevewm posted:

That is a 6-20 plug. It is indeed 220v, but only 20A. You can get EVSEs that will plug into it, but you will be limited to 16A/3.6kW.

I installed one of these in my garage for charging my Volt originally (it tops out at 3.6kW, so 6-20 was perfect).

Since it’s a rental, that will have to do. My local coffee shop has free charging so I can also use that.

So, the question is, what do I buy to use the 6-20 plug?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Since it’s a rental, that will have to do. My local coffee shop has free charging so I can also use that.

Depends on the EVSE/charger you have. You can buy ones on Amazon that have a 6-20 plug. The EVSE that comes with Gen2 Volts and Bolts can plug into 220v with an adapter. This is what I did with my 6-20 outlet.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You're better off than a lot of people, 16A / 3.6kW is fine for EV charging.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

VideoGameVet posted:

Easiest approach is to buy an EVSE with the 6-20 plug and cable already attached. With some EVSEs you order the 6-20 cord as an option and have it connected to the EVSE before use. Why it doesn't arrive from the supplier already attached? :shrug:

Buying an EVSE with a specific plug limits your choices somewhat. That wasn't an issue for the 14-50 I needed except that it also had to be from a certain list to qualify for a rebate from my local power supplier. That narrowed the field considerably.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

What is your car? Telsa mobile connector has a $35 adapter for 6-20 plugs. Bolt or (17 or higher) Volt you can just make your own adapter and use the EVSE that came with the car.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Westy543 posted:

I meant getting the outlet installed. :cheeky:

Though I agree, apparently they intend to shift most of their Fremont production capacity to the Y.
lol I r dumb, anyway it cost me $390.

Not super cheap but I didn’t feel too horribly gouged. I probably could have done it myself but it’s nice to have a pro confirm you’re not gonna burn down your house. I only feel overcharged by like $100. But poo poo I got one hour service so I don’t feel bad about that.

VideoGameVet posted:

Dude no 6-20 is still really nice. For example a regular household plug charges a Model 3 at like 3 miles per hour, that plug will charge one at 15 miles per hour! 5 times faster! Once you find the right adapter for whatever car you have you’ll be good.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m glad that at least there’s one electrician out there who knows how to install the receptacle with the ground wire up. I had to flip mine after noticing the mistake well after my guy took off.

Yeah I was out there with him and he paused and said “ground up for Tesla’s right?” So he was aware.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 28, 2020

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

lol I r dumb, anyway it cost me $390.

Not super cheap but I didn’t feel too horribly gouged. I probably could have done it myself but it’s nice to have a pro confirm you’re not gonna burn down your house. I only feel overcharged by like $100. But poo poo I got one hour service so I don’t feel bad about that.

Don't forget, if you had that installed last year, you can get a 30% tax credit for it. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again for TY2020. Takes the sting out of the cost.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you really wanted a bigger L2 charger, you could make an adapter cord, but you'd have to verify the charger or car has a feature to limit current draw to 16 amps (or power draw to 3.3kw)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ClassH posted:

What is your car? Telsa mobile connector has a $35 adapter for 6-20 plugs. Bolt or (17 or higher) Volt you can just make your own adapter and use the EVSE that came with the car.

We’re still in deciding and in addition the company I work at is in a ‘decisive’ moment. So it depends on that as well.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

VideoGameVet posted:

We’re still in deciding and in addition the company I work at is in a ‘decisive’ moment. So it depends on that as well.

Ok yeah so yeah as mentioned if you don’t get shitcanned an adapter for a Tesla is $30. They sell them for every like every obscure plug on the market.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It doesn't make any sense to over spec your in home charging option - better to work out what you actually need. For me 230v 8amp (i.e. a normal plug in this part of the world) is more than adequate for a 60km daily commute in a Leaf and if I need more distance it makes more sense to hit up a proper fast charger.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Wibla posted:

Add in depreciation because of mileage, cost of insurance etc. and that number goes up quickly :haw:

Not really. My cost of insurance is the same no matter how much I drive, and with the insane discounts and tax rebates I got on this thing, depreciation won't hit for awhile. Carvana would take a year old version of my car with 20k miles for what I bought it for. Driving my car around is one of the cheaper things I can do that's actively entertaining.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

dissss posted:

It doesn't make any sense to over spec your in home charging option - better to work out what you actually need.
I mean yes it does?? Especially if the cost is roughly the same, might as well future proof. In the US you're probably gonna want a plug installed for anything above and beyond light commuting.

In euro land you might get 80 miles in a 10 hour overnight charge which is a is a pretty decent charge. In the US you might get like 30 miles (48km) in the same time which is like exactly my round trip commute and a shorter one than yours.

So yeah most people in the US will need a 240v plug installed and might as well get a beefy motherfucker for minimally more cost. That way you never have to "hit up a proper fast charger" and save $20 for years of inconvenience.

Goon makes broad assumptions with no basis, declares as fact, news at 11.

This is 'Merica sir we like our voltage low and our commutes long :911:

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 29, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Maybe I was a little harsh but over spec'ing can be really useful in other ways. For example a while back I asked my coworker how he handles charging and he says he treats it just like a gasoline car but the gas station is his house.

Instead of every day treating it as your chore to get out and plug in the car before he goes intside he just "fills it up" once a week. Get home one day and see the battery is at 30%? Just plug it in for that night, you're at 100% in the morning and good for another week.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean yes it does?? Especially if the cost is roughly the same, might as well future proof. In the US you're probably gonna want a plug installed for anything above and beyond light commuting.

I wished I had future proofed, but circumstances at the time led to me getting a 50ft roll of 12/2 metal clad for basically free. (and I needed 48ft!) My only cost really was the 2 pole 20A breaker and associated installation bits. (I work for a company that among other things sells electrical supplies, we get a killer employee discount) . I also had enough Amazon points to cover about 75% the cost of a hard-wire ClipperCreek 3.6kW EVSE.

I have recently considered getting a Bolt, and I would want faster than 3.6kW charging, which means replacing it all. :/

Good thing I thought ahead when I ran power to my garage! Put in a subpanel fed by an 80A breaker.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

stevewm posted:

I wished I had future proofed, but circumstances at the time led to me getting a 50ft roll of 12/2 metal clad for basically free. (and I needed 48ft!) My only cost really was the 2 pole 20A breaker and associated installation bits. (I work for a company that among other things sells electrical supplies, we get a killer employee discount) . I also had enough Amazon points to cover about 75% the cost of a hard-wire ClipperCreek 3.6kW EVSE.

I have recently considered getting a Bolt, and I would want faster than 3.6kW charging, which means replacing it all. :/

Good thing I thought ahead when I ran power to my garage! Put in a subpanel fed by an 80A breaker.

On the plus side, it will be easier to run a 50A later using the existing wiring to string the new line along, assuming it's in the walls. So labor should be hopefully cheaper than the first time.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

On the plus side, it will be easier to run a 50A later using the existing wiring to string the new line along, assuming it's in the walls. So labor should be hopefully cheaper than the first time.

Yeah the conduit or what ever is already run, tie string to wire, pull.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah the conduit or what ever is already run, tie string to wire, pull.

Metal-clad isn't exactly reusable conduit, unfortunately, especially if you're upsizing the wire.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It is an unfinished garage, so the wire is exposed, hence why I went with MC.

Replacing it will be easy when the time comes. Still just wished I had bit the bullet and wired for 32/40a at the start. I nearly got the HCS-40...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Yeah I’m happy I didn’t hard wire in any particular charger. Just bam, here’s a big rear end plug, do what you will with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Had a pretty new Leaf 40 this weekend, registered Nov 2019. It has an updated computer with nicer UI and snappier touch response. I think the front suspension is plusher as well, but that might be imagination.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

I used freetaxusa with no problems.

This worked, thanks! I waited to reply until the IRS verified that I'm going to receive my refund. I filed on 2/13, and I should be getting my refund on the 4th. It was a huge refund this year due to the kids, a Tesla, an Energica, and an EV charger installed my garage.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I want my car elon give me my car

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Renault brings its ultra-cheap K-ZE electric crossover to Europe under Dacia brand

($9000 in China)

https://electrek.co/2020/03/03/renault-k-ze-cheap-electric-crossover-europe-dacia-spring/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

Renault brings its ultra-cheap K-ZE electric crossover to Europe under Dacia brand

($9000 in China)

https://electrek.co/2020/03/03/renault-k-ze-cheap-electric-crossover-europe-dacia-spring/

$76 per rated mile of range (using the pessimistic 118-mile estimate)

that's.... superb. The cheapest right now I think is the 325 mile model 3 at $132. Even at a 50% increase for other markets it'll be the cheapest per-range-mile EV

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

$76 per rated mile of range (using the pessimistic 118-mile estimate)

that's.... superb. The cheapest right now I think is the 325 mile model 3 at $132. Even at a 50% increase for other markets it'll be the cheapest per-range-mile EV

The Chinese Model 3 Standard Range will also be using prismatic LiFePo so it's possible their price will also be pretty good.

https://insideevs.com/news/400255/mic-tesla-model-3-prismatic-lfp-cells/

Apparently, huge strides have been made with cost and energy density LFP batteries lately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Koenigsegg went ahead with their Geneva Auto Show presentation even though the auto show itself was cancelled, and they announced another nutty PHEV hypercar.

https://www.koenigsegg.com/gemera/

A four seat mid-engine two door is already quite a start, then you realize that the ICE is a 2.0L three cylinder twin-turbocharged to make 600 horsepower with their "Freevalve" camless technology. That ICE has a 400 horsepower electric motor attached to its crankshaft and runs through a direct drive gearbox similar to the Regera to power the front wheels. Yes, it's a mid-engine FWD when running in pure gasoline mode. There are then two more 500HP electric motors, one for each rear wheel, providing AWD in hybrid or pure EV modes.

That's 600 HP on gas, 1400 HP in EV mode, and 1700 HP combined in hybrid mode.
Pure EV range is up to 50 km if you're nice to it, and it can achieve 210 MPH if you don't care about range.
Hybrid range is up to 1000 km with a top speed north of 250 MPH.

Price is not yet set (though we can obviously assume seven digits) and they'll only be making 300 of them, so obviously most of us will never get a chance to even see one in person outside of maybe one of the top tier car shows or a rich area Cars and Coffee, but it's still pretty cool to see what can be done when engineers are allowed to play with no real concerns about how expensive the product ends up.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Some cool poo poo for people who don't follow other news sources:

BMW i4, with 600 km wltp (model 3 LR AWD is 570km for comparison, expect about 300-340 miles epa).

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/c02f287

As well as official announcement of the volkswagen ID.4. Up to 500km wltp range on biggest battery. So probably like 275 epa or more. If it follows the e-Tron, it could be fairly similar to wltp and hit 300 miles epa.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/03/vw-id-4-electric-crossover-details/

Oh and Ford announced a BEV Transit van.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I like how they looked at the Pontiac solstice front end and thought “this is the height of style”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The huge BMW kidneys is apparently the Chinese market's doing. Which makes sense. If you achieve status by flaunting a logo and there's a billion and a half competitors, the logo needs to be big. I wonder if you can pay extra for shame delete in other markets.