Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/FWucinski/status/1233198471156510720

i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I'm supposed to be flying to Verona next weekend. Shall I cancel or nah?

They won't let you in. Verona is in the Veneto, which is shut down.

quote:

Eleven towns and villages in Lombardy, the region around Milan, and Veneto, which includes Venice, are in a quarantined red zone, home to a total of 55,000 people.

They have been told not to leave for two weeks as Italian authorities try to contain the spread of the virus.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/InveniaMia/status/1233467245378052097

It's the guy from the interview coughing

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

toggle posted:

its just a flu

is a more serius flu than normal flu

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

If everyone could help spread

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

poverty goat posted:

trump is going to cancel the election to prevent the spread of coronavirus and of votes against him

The longer its delayed the more of his supporters will die. Now is the time to seize total power and become the god emperor of man.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/

quote:

Hello,

Just giving a heads up to what I and my doctor both considered a very hosed situation. I just spent a week in Japan, a country at high risk for COVID-19. I wore a mask and essentially tried to stay away from most touristy places (not my first time there), but trains and stations are still packed with people, so there's really not much you can do.

On arriving back to America (3 days ago), I developed a 102F fever, coughing, and aches. I went to a local hospital in Brooklyn's ER. I informed them of my travel, they provided me a mask, and redirected me to a private room and followed infection protocols (full face covers, gloves, aprons, etc.). I had a chest x-ray and testing for flu/cold/pneumonia/and about 25 other viruses. They all came back negative.

At this point, the hospital called the CDC requesting permission to perform the COVID-19 testing. The CDC denied the request on the ground that I did not have the most life-threatening symptoms: chest pain and shortness of breath. According to everything I read it's very likely not to have these symptoms if you're in your 30's and relatively healthy.

And... that was that. They discharged me, said I don't have Corona virus, since they didn't test me for it, and said I can ride the subway, return to work, do whatever I want.

Of course my doctor disagreed. She said I should treat myself as if I am infected. My partner is currently staying in a nearby hotel since we live in a studio apartment. I've performed a self-quarantine for 14 days. Fortunately I can work from home and my partner can deliver me groceries if I run out.

But I don't think that many people are aware of the fact that they're actively not testing people for COVID-19, even people who have travel history to high-risk places.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

This person has been given a most powerful gift. With great power comes great responsibility.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Airlines are starting to cancel flights to the Veneto anyway

quote:

British Airways announced on Thursday it would be cancelling some direct flights between London's airports and various places in Italy over the next few weeks due to “reduced demand" following the coronavirus outbreak.

Some 56 roundtrip flights are cancelled from London Heathrow and Gatwick to Italian destinations including Milan, Bologna, Bergamo, Venice and Turin between March 14 and March 28.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I'm loving aware, this doesn't surprise me one bit. We are SO unprepared for this. More unprepared than China by far, honestly. And the attitude of the Trump administration and the CDC and the fact that we have like no loving tests just makes it all look worse

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

I'm loving aware, this doesn't surprise me one bit. We are SO unprepared for this. More unprepared than China by far, honestly. And the attitude of the Trump administration and the CDC and the fact that we have like no loving tests just makes it all look worse

You haven't really seen chinese health care industry at work if you think this. I mean I don't think anywhere is really properly ready, but man. It's real bad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Play posted:

Trump killing his own supporters seems like the universe correcting itself.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nurge posted:

You haven't really seen chinese health care industry at work if you think this. I mean I don't think anywhere is really properly ready, but man. It's real bad.

I get that, and I'm not praising China but one thing they were able to do is enforce quarantines even if they didn't work. They also seemed to have more tests, somehow.

I'm not saying it'll hit America harder but the fact that the upper echelons of our government are not taking this seriously at all and have already cut tons of funding for response to things like this, it's worrying. Not being able to test someone with a severe fever and who just came from a hotspot, then telling them to not worry about it and go home is totally insane, if it happened.

Our leaders are sticking their heads in the sand in exactly the same way China's did. Everything we do is clearly going to be reactive, and will probably happen once it's already too late

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

I get that, and I'm not praising China but one thing they were able to do is enforce quarantines even if they didn't work. They also seemed to have more tests, somehow.

I'm not saying it'll hit America harder but the fact that the upper echelons of our government are not taking this seriously at all and have already cut tons of funding for response to things like this, it's worrying. Not being able to test someone with a severe fever and who just came from a hotspot, then telling them to not worry about it and go home is totally insane, if it happened.

Our leaders are sticking their heads in the sand in exactly the same way China's did. Everything we do is clearly going to be reactive, and will probably happen once it's already too late

I agree that it was stupid, but the fact that it's uncontained in central europe atm means that any kind of quarantines are half measures at best. It's already all over the US. Just a matter of when people start showing symptoms.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Charliegrs posted:

It is so goddamn hard to not touch my face

When I read this my finger was way in my mouth touching the gum/wisdom tooth area...

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Xaintrailles posted:

When I read this my finger was way in my mouth touching the gum/wisdom tooth area...

nice nice keep going

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Xaintrailles posted:

I actually eat food like a toddler, filling up one fist, inserting the entire thing into my mouth, then slowly withdrawing it sans food and with the entire lower part of my arm glistening with saliva

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Play posted:

I actually eat food like a toddler, filling up one fist, inserting the entire thing into my mouth, then slowly withdrawing it sans food and with the entire lower part of my arm glistening with saliva

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

nice nice keep going

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Play posted:

They didn’t work. They were never going to work. The only thing China did “better” was a quarantine that prevented hospitals from getting basic medical supplies so their CFR was 10x higher than it would be otherwise. The quarantine was just showing that big strong daddy was going to DO SOMETHING and deal with that mean virus.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well, at least when I'm self quarantined, I'll have plenty of time to practice the didgeridoo!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Dunno if this has been posted yet but a friend sent it to me a few minutes ago. Do not gently caress around with threatening to infect other people in China Jesus loving Christ.

Warning - very graphic violence in clip. Probably :nws:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sneak Lemming posted:

Is it even possible to grow enough to feed two people in a normal sized garden? And won't you need to wait months for this?

You can feed a family of four on 3/4 of an acre easily if you know what you’re doing. Source, my girlfriend who is farmer.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
On the bright side this is probably the catalyst to crash the markets and save us from climate change, and in particular will destroy the conservative and liberal parties that had undermined healthcare systems across the world. Like lol even with an extremely low mortality rate for people under 30 this is going to probably rack up a global death count larger than the holocaust or ussr famines. And they're gonna be seen as responsible for this getting out of control

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Argentum posted:

On the bright side this is probably the catalyst to crash the markets and save us from climate change, and in particular will destroy the conservative and liberal parties that had undermined healthcare systems across the world. Like lol even with an extremely low mortality rate for people under 30 this is going to probably rack up a global death count larger than the holocaust or ussr famines. And they're gonna be seen as responsible for this getting out of control

Dude...no. Chill.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If i have to self quarantine for weeks then my dick is going to be so beat up.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

UnknownTarget posted:

Dude...no. Chill.

idk man the stocks tumbling this hard, this early into this pandemic is pretty grim news. don't underestimate how mad people get when the food runs out

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I'm supposed to be flying to Verona next weekend. Shall I cancel or nah?

CORONAVIRUS
The grey-eyed morn smiles on the frowning night,
Chequering the eastern clouds with streaks of light,
And flecked darkness like a drunkard reels
From forth day's path and Titan's fiery wheels:
Now, ere the sun advance his burning eye,
The day to cheer and night's dank dew to dry,
I must up-fill this osier cage of ours
With baleful weeds and precious-juiced flowers.
The earth that's nature's mother is her tomb;
What is her burying grave that is her womb,
And from her womb children of divers kind
We sucking on her natural bosom find,
Many for many virtues excellent,
None but for some and yet all different.
O, mickle is the powerful grace that lies
In herbs, plants, stones, and their true qualities:
For nought so vile that on the earth doth live
But to the earth some special good doth give,
Nor aught so good but strain'd from that fair use
Revolts from true birth, stumbling on abuse:
Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied;
And vice sometimes by action dignified.
Within the infant rind of this small flower
Poison hath residence and medicine power:
For this, being smelt, with that part cheers each part;
Being tasted, slays all senses with the heart.
Two such opposed kings encamp them still
In man as well as herbs, grace and rude will;
And where the worser is predominant,
Full soon the canker death eats up that plant.

Enter BRIGHTBART IS RIGHTBART

BRIGHTBART IS RIGHTBART
yo where the canoli

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The extremely black and white way he expresses the CDC and doctor's opinions are a little dubious. There is a middle ground between congregating in crowded locations with no precautions versus sealing yourself off from all human interaction for 14 days.

Just staying at home if you have a 102 fever, muscle aches, and a chronic cough is a pretty good idea whatever you think is causing it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LionArcher posted:

You can feed a family of four on 3/4 of an acre easily if you know what you’re doing. Source, my girlfriend who is farmer.
That's not exactly a typical suburban lot, though. The last time I was shopping I was seeing 1/3 - 1/2 of an acre, and most of that is covered by the house.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Argentum posted:

Source your quotes

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LionArcher posted:

Don't you need crazy fertilizers for that?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Argentum posted:

idk man the stocks tumbling this hard, this early into this pandemic is pretty grim news. don't underestimate how mad people get when the food runs out

Aside from people panic buying, why would we assume food will run out?

I mean I can think of reasons but I don't assume that's the default outcome.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

UnknownTarget posted:

I've lived in hurricane prone zones and even complete nothingburger events can clean out grocery stores. If supply chain workers start getting sick with coronavirus the trucks are going to stop moving. Most americans are not remotely prepared to go more than a few days without food lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

twerking on the railroad posted:

Don't you need crazy fertilizers for that?

Just normal fertilizers will work fine.

E: all those veggies want a similar diet, but getting the most out of each means paying lots of attention and adjusting nutrients with plant stages. One acre would be very time consuming for someone new to gardening, especially if it's just a back yard garden on some 1/4 acre lot. Once you take the footprint of the living space, driveway and poo poo into account, those lots might have 8000 sq ft to work with, and all that soil is fill because the construction company used fill trash dirt to level the lot, so you have to buy all your soil.

Also, if you don't have enough of some plants growing, they may not pollinate, which means they won't fruit, so get ready to crawl around that garden manually pollinating poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

UnknownTarget posted:

Depending on where is impacted, there could be shipment delays. Not exactly a "there is no food", more like "there won't be food for a day or two".

I live in a remote Canadian community so, between the rail blockades and coronavirus, I've stocked up on some essentials just in case.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Argentum posted:

I've lived in hurricane prone zones and even complete nothingburger events can clean out grocery stores. If supply chain workers start getting sick with coronavirus the trucks are going to stop moving. Most americans are not remotely prepared to go more than a few days without food lol

I've also lived in those zones. But the reason those areas get cleaned out is because (at least where I've lived) the supply chains were long and took time to rebuild.

People panic buying might clean out stores temporarily but they'll be restocked in a week, unless the virus concentrates specifically on the truckers. Also, this is still mostly a flu and many people don't even exhibit symptoms.

Again it's a possibility but I think it's succumbing to panic to assume that this is the end of the Western world.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

my sister who is a sweet soul that's way too gullible forwarded me a fwd:fwd:fwd THE TRUTH voice mail that she got from a colleague, who got it from someone and so on. It was a guy who didn't say who he was, talking about how he totally knew a doctor who totally was at a medical event where the doctors totally said that Berlin was gonna get quarantined in 3 days and that the over 55 year olds have a 80% death rate.

People are starting to panic like crazy lmao why is everything so presidential

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sanders, Biden, Trump and Pence are hosed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

all that soil is fill because the construction company used fill trash dirt to level the lot, so you have to buy all your soil.

I'm constantly picking out broken glass from my garden, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
For goons who want to scratch your face, get a fork, burn it with you lighter, use it to scratch.

This virus can't survive over 60c/140f degree, its very easy to kill it with heat.