Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

If you die, you don't have to go into work. Think about that.

Internet Explorer posted:

"The bus problem" has now been renamed to "the bus solution."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/700161865192615936?lang=en

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Mute unless you're the one talking, basic etiquette

I'm amazed when I run into anyone who doesn't know this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

https://twitter.com/SomeonesAnIdiot/status/1228780419836936198

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Mute unless you're the one talking, basic etiquette

I had a call where somebody asked me a question, so I unmuted to answer, but people started doing crosstalk, so I re-muted while I looked something up that would help my answer. My boss force-unmuted me while the crosstalk was still happening, which popped up an additional dialog box I had to clear to go back on mute. My boss then started doing the whole, "We can't hear you!" bit until I finally unmuted and said, "I'm here, but other people were talking, so I wasn't saying anything."

So add to "basic etiquette" the rule that when somebody asks somebody else a question, everybody needs to shut the gently caress up and let the person answer, for gently caress's sake! (My boss will also occasionally try to guess the answer to questions directed at me and nearly always is completely wrong.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Stay muted because that way when you involuntarily laugh at someone being an idiot nobody is the wiser.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Don't have to worry about valid certs if you tell the users to click "Advanced" and then to continue anyway :colbert:

From a while back, but this is literally the KB guidance, helpful pictures and all, the IT project team has provided the helpdesk and customers with, and I am dreading having to fight them on this. Where do I even start :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pacra posted:

From a while back, but this is literally the KB guidance, helpful pictures and all, the IT project team has provided the helpdesk and customers with, and I am dreading having to fight them on this. Where do I even start :(

"You are training our users to click on phishing e-mails" isn't enough?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Stay muted because that way when you involuntarily laugh at someone being an idiot nobody is the wiser.

Counterpoint: Unmute to make sure idiots realize they're being laughed at.*

* Not responsible for outcome if idiots have power over your paycheck

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Fool posted:

"You are training our users to click on phishing e-mails" isn't enough?

"But we have a contract with cofense and proofpoint for that!"

(asdfhajkfghrghjk)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

One thing I have never gotten over in this field is the amount of people employed in an IT line of business who don't have the smallest inkling of technical knowledge. not even a smattering

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone get forwarded a variation on this one today?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pacra posted:

One thing I have never gotten over in this field is the amount of people employed in an IT line of business who don't have the smallest inkling of technical knowledge. not even a smattering

Because so many loving places advertise "Learn computers and make $$$" as if someone who's made it to adulthood without any interest is going to just pick everything up.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've never met someone I considered a competent tech who wasn't a nerd of some variety as a kid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pacra posted:

"But we have a contract with cofense and proofpoint for that!"

(asdfhajkfghrghjk)

We just got an email that infosec signed us up for Inky. Yay.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Because so many loving places advertise "Learn computers and make $$$" as if someone who's made it to adulthood without any interest is going to just pick everything up.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've never met someone I considered a competent tech who wasn't a nerd of some variety as a kid.

Most of the good IT people I know got into IT through trying to pirate games as a kid in the 90s.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skipdogg posted:

We just got an email that infosec signed us up for Inky. Yay.

What can Inky do that you can't do with a handful of transport rules? Because I've looked at them before and had a hard time seeing the value add.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

What can Inky do that you can't do with a handful of transport rules? Because I've looked at them before and had a hard time seeing the value add.

No idea. InfoSec guy is very good at spending money. We're signed up for PhishMe as well.

Email is my biggest weakness these days. I haven't dealt with email as an admin in about 5 years now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanatosian posted:

Most of the good IT people I know got into IT through trying to pirate games as a kid in the 90s.
Definitely a major reason. I think it basically comes down to having had an interest and desire to learn this stuff before money came in to the picture. Piracy, playing games on 8 bit era systems where you had to key in a listing from a magazine, BBSes, whatever your drive may have been it needs to be more than just thinking "hey I can make money doing that".

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have a humanities master that isn't getting me any work, and going for a PhD looks like it will just keep digging that hole deeper, so I'm considering a career change and am looking at tech. Would it be better to get some of the basic certifications first and try looking for entry level stuff or just go back and get a Bachelor's degree?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Humanities master in IT reporting in. I got my job by being vaguely technically capable in a startup environment and when they laid off my entire department, they offered me the IT gig they couldn't fill.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Humanities master in IT reporting in. I got my job by being vaguely technically capable in a startup environment and when they laid off my entire department, they offered me the IT gig they couldn't fill.

That is a bold move. Seems weird to trust them and taking the position. I guess sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Stay muted because that way when you involuntarily laugh at call someone a fuckwit for being an idiot nobody is the wiser.

FTFY

Pacra posted:

Same here.
I just had to help a guy get his monitors back online after he plugged a 3rd one into his USB-C dock that only supports two. He's a Customer Support Engineer for our security products.
Granted, this is partially Dell's goddamned docks, but still...

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone get forwarded a variation on this one today?

That's hilarious.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Sickening posted:

That is a bold move. Seems weird to trust them and taking the position. I guess sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.

Double the wage, hourly overtime, and getting out of humanities-adjacent fields (media production) was totally worth it. I was pretty stressed and frustrated at the time, but it was an opportunity to get paid hella well to learn a whole new skillset. Glad I went with it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CPColin posted:

I had a call where somebody asked me a question, so I unmuted to answer, but people started doing crosstalk, so I re-muted while I looked something up that would help my answer. My boss force-unmuted me while the crosstalk was still happening, which popped up an additional dialog box I had to clear to go back on mute. My boss then started doing the whole, "We can't hear you!" bit until I finally unmuted and said, "I'm here, but other people were talking, so I wasn't saying anything."

So add to "basic etiquette" the rule that when somebody asks somebody else a question, everybody needs to shut the gently caress up and let the person answer, for gently caress's sake! (My boss will also occasionally try to guess the answer to questions directed at me and nearly always is completely wrong.)
Jesus, you could do like a whole case study of all the power dynamics at play here. Do you stay quiet because you're above the fracas, or do you overpower because staying quiet could have you seen as meek? Navigating this kind of stuff is always interesting.

My favorite (as in, most annoying), is one I've covered before. The person who recites the roll every time someone joins, as though we can't all see the participant list.

"Hey Colin thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, brown guy, and Darchangel, we'll wait for a few more and then I'd like to discuss our plans for the upcoming AWS build out for--- oh hey Sickening, thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, Colin, brown guy and Darchangel, we're just waiting a moment for anyone else..."

And on and on. Maybe no one else experiences this, but I swear I've had probably 10 people like this in my career, so I'm probably not alone here. It's barely annoying, it's just... weird. People are weird on conference calls. People are weird in general. Like people who write long posts about conference calls, those people are really weird.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 29, 2020

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You described my worst pet peeve. gently caress people that do that. It’s always the guy with nothing to contribute too. Usually an account manager or sales guy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, yeah, that's why they do it. What else are they going to "contribute?"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

they were trained on voice only conference long ago and it never occurred to them that they aren't helping

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Or it’s an infosec guy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Engineer just turned on InTune at 6pm on a Friday and blocked everyone's access to email unless they have the InTune app installed.
THEN he sent an email to just ITS informing us that he turned on InTune and we're required to install InTune Company Portal App The link was broken, but it was also pointing to the windows store which won't work on Android anyway so I guess it doesn't even matter.
I only noticed because I bothered to log into OWA to check on something and saw the message.

This was not previously discussed with anyone in ITS. I had a project ticket open to evaluate InTune but haven't made traction because I have way too much other poo poo to worry about switching MDM at the moment.

I'm seriously considering just pretending like I saw nothing and leaving that poo poo on all weekend. It's kinda nice not having my phone blowing up from all the work bullshit.
I'm legit scared for how my boss is going to react though. Guaranteed he still has no idea.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 29, 2020

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Lol. That’s great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yeah I'm batting 1000 this year for "taking days off when major poo poo breaks."

Last week I was home the day that my boss changed all the domain service accounts in AD but NOWHERE ELSE so everything broke.
Week before that I was home the day that we found out we'd "been hacked" and my boss shut all network access off to everything.
I was also off the day that our SAN poo poo the bed and hosed absolutely everything. And then another day following that when we enabled logging and that drive filled up loving all access to all files.
Another day that we lost both of our internet providers at the same time.

Then again there's been a lot of poo poo breaking constantly and I've been there plenty of days (like every other day this week) when I'm in and dealing with major outages or system wide problems, so maybe that just skews the odds a bit.

Edit:
LOL HOLY gently caress someone apparently implemented 2FA + Hardware tokens on our VPN in the meantime and never even sent a message about it (or COULDN'T).
I know for a fact that nobody has any of those tokens because they're all sitting in a sealed box under my desk right now.

I cannot loving wait to see the giant shitstorm of fallout that is coming our way on Monday lol holy gently caress.
I work for a loving circus.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 29, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

We have more than one person at work who got their first position with us because they built computers at home back in high school.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Good lord. Combining two posts here...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Engineer just turned on InTune at 6pm on a Friday and blocked everyone's access to email unless they have the InTune app installed.
THEN he sent an email to just ITS informing us that he turned on InTune and we're required to install InTune Company Portal App The link was broken, but it was also pointing to the windows store which won't work on Android anyway so I guess it doesn't even matter.

This was not previously discussed with anyone in ITS. I had a project ticket open to evaluate InTune but haven't made traction because I have way too much other poo poo to worry about switching MDM at the moment.

LOL HOLY gently caress someone apparently implemented 2FA + Hardware tokens on our VPN in the meantime and never even sent a message about it (or COULDN'T).
I know for a fact that nobody has any of those tokens because they're all sitting in a sealed box under my desk right now.

I cannot loving wait to see the giant shitstorm of fallout that is coming our way on Monday lol holy gently caress.
I work for a loving circus.
This is why I am so glad I have climbed to a position of authority. Maybe this'll make some of you not want to work for or with me, maybe it'll make some of you want to, but I could not wait to fire this guy on Monday morning. You managed to, at once, shirk our change control processes and take down multiple critical services? This is Mary from HR, she's going to walk you back to your desk while you collect your things.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
That environment sounds like IT hell. I'd say just stand clear, enjoy the show and do everything in your power to CYA.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

taqueso posted:

they were trained on voice only conference long ago and it never occurred to them that they aren't helping

I've been trained on Eve Online voice comms. :ohdear:

You'll never even think of using anything but push to talk ever again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have a humanities master that isn't getting me any work, and going for a PhD looks like it will just keep digging that hole deeper, so I'm considering a career change and am looking at tech. Would it be better to get some of the basic certifications first and try looking for entry level stuff or just go back and get a Bachelor's degree?

The standard advice (caveat: there is no piece of advice that everyone agrees on 100%) for getting into IT is to get an A+ and then go looking for helpdesk or desktop support jobs. Once there, look to get out of it into something better within a couple of years, as staying in helpdesk forever can make people wonder if something about you is stopping you from moving up.

A+ is a nearly useless certification, but it's a common screening requirement, especially for HR, because they are deluged with applicants and need some way to filter down the number of candidates to review.

If you already have a master's degree, presumably you have a bachelor's in something. It is not worth going back to get a second bachelor's in a more related field. IT is like bartending in that a lot of the job can only be learned on the job. You are essentially trying to convince people to give you an interview, and then in that interview you are trying to convince them that you have a troubleshooting mindset, have a basic sense of responsibility, and aren't too goony.

If you want additional certifications, Network+ is actually decent, and you can also look at certifications in a specific area of interest. The Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is the gold standard of lower-level networking certifications, but it is not an easy test, and it was just revamped. You probably won't need any of these except the A+ to get your first IT gig. I would specifically not go any further than a CCNA, or its equivalent in another area, until you have experience; tons of paper qualifications but no experience will raise eyebrows.

Personally, I had a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, an A+, and a Network+ when I got my first IT gig. It did take me a while of applying, and it was before the recession that screwed most millenials. You can also look to intern or volunteer somewhere if you can afford to; getting the first gig with no experience can be tricky.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I've been trained on Eve Online voice comms. :ohdear:

You'll never even think of using anything but push to talk ever again.

:same:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That InTune crap reminds me of an email I got last week. My customer decided that having email synced on a non-company device is verboten and we all have 1 month to remove email from those devices or our account would be locked out. The problem with that is I'm a consultant, not an employee, and I work remote on the other side of the country. The response to how I'm supposed to get email outside of business hours short of being required to carry a corporate laptop paired to my phone at all times has so far resulted in crickets.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Hey Colin thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, brown guy, and Darchangel, we'll wait for a few more and then I'd like to discuss our plans for the upcoming AWS build out for--- oh hey Sickening, thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, Colin, brown guy and Darchangel, we're just waiting a moment for anyone else..."

Our idiot scrum master can't be bothered to ever look at the participant list in BlueJeans, so she's always asking everyone else if whoever is on the call. On top of this she doesn't keep up with our slack, so even if someone mentions they're going to miss standup/planning/whatever she's like "where's John? Is John on the call?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jesus, you could do like a whole case study of all the power dynamics at play here. Do you stay quiet because you're above the fracas, or do you overpower because staying quiet could have you seen as meek? Navigating this kind of stuff is always interesting.

Another wrinkle is that I happened to be the only man on the call and I'm painfully aware of how often men stomp all over women in office meetings, so I was even less inclined to interrupt than usual!