Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm constantly picking out broken glass from my garden, so yeah.

Yeah, unless you live in a small town built mostly in the 40s or in some old farmhouse in the country, most every house is just sitting on a tiny landfill. Lots of dirt, a fair deal of trash, probably chunks of brick to gently caress up your mower blades.

Build some garden boxes and grow in those. Gonna take a lot of good soil, so you can either buy it by the bag or call a gardening center and ask about top soil by the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, at least when I'm self quarantined, I'll have plenty of time to practice the didgeridoo!

The pied didgeridooer of hamlin, spreading the sweet dulcet tones of the dideridoo along with enormous viral clouds potent enough to strike down an entire city

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
Why contain it? S'cool.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

poverty goat posted:

My mom has lung cancer and has to go into NYC to see her cancer doctors. I wonder if there's a point where they'd tell her just to skip her checkup instead of going into the city.

Unless there is literal roving bands of gangs ala Mad Max or The Warriors, it is absolutely better for her health to be in public seeing her doctor than staying home.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, unless you live in a small town built mostly in the 40s or in some old farmhouse in the country, most every house is just sitting on a tiny landfill. Lots of dirt, a fair deal of trash, probably chunks of brick to gently caress up your mower blades.
The house I grew up in had been the farmhouse of a large chunk of land; most of it was sold off and was '60s suburb. The soil on that place was amazing. We would literally find tomato plants in the flowerbeds that had grown from a dropped seed the year before.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

twerking on the railroad posted:

Don't you need crazy fertilizers for that?

Save compost and grass clippings in one spot for like a year or so then use that in your garden, and if you feel fancy- rotate where you put the composting spot every few years.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

LionArcher posted:

You can feed a family of four on 3/4 of an acre easily if you know what you’re doing. Source, my girlfriend who is farmer.

Is her farm in Stardew Valley because talking about subsistence farming being easy is hell of a statement

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Shaocaholica posted:

Sanders, Biden, Trump and Pence are hosed.

coronavirus is buttigieg's ultimate ratfuck

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

frogge posted:

Save compost and grass clippings in one spot for like a year or so then use that in your garden, and if you feel fancy- rotate where you put the composting spot every few years.

Get chickens.

Then you have a new problem because chickens love nothing more than turning your garden into a crater filled hell to dust bathe in, but you'll have plenty of fertilizer

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

drat horror queefs posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet but a friend sent it to me a few minutes ago. Do not gently caress around with threatening to infect other people in China Jesus loving Christ.

Warning - very graphic violence in clip. Probably :nws:

-100 to social credit score

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enfys posted:

Get chickens.

Then you have a new problem because chickens love nothing more than turning your garden into a crater filled hell to dust bathe in, but you'll have plenty of fertilizer

Rabbit dung is said to be an awesome source of fertilizer, and you don't have to compost it as aggressively as you do chickenshit.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nurge posted:

You haven't really seen chinese health care industry at work if you think this. I mean I don't think anywhere is really properly ready, but man. It's real bad.

one thing you definitely never need to worry about in america is anyone building a hospital in a couple of weeks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rabbit dung is said to be an awesome source of fertilizer, and you don't have to compost it as aggressively as you do chickenshit.

These are true things but rabbits also like to make burrows and then they wind up pooping down there, so unless you keep them in a hutch you're just going to wind up with a bunch of fertilizer-filled tunnels under your property.

e: Keeping them in a hutch is totally an option of course, we built a huge one with a ramp that goes down to a lower enclosed area, most of it is covered to keep my babies safe from the rain

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 28, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had to go to walmart for something so I did my grocery shopping there and it was pretty cool how the nice old lady cashier was coughing onto my groceries and into her bare hands and wiping her nose while bagging my food

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Enfys posted:

Is her farm in Stardew Valley because talking about subsistence farming being easy is hell of a statement

Yeah, easily is the wrong word. Doable with hard work and a decent amount of knowledge.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

e: Keeping them in a hutch is totally an option of course, we built a huge one with a ramp that goes down to a lower enclosed area, most of it is covered to keep my babies safe from the rain
What kind are yours?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mitztronic posted:

-100 to social credit score

Which one?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just ordered a PSP off ebay from China, good luck Ontario!

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Texas police say local meth is contaminated with coronavirus, offer to test it

quote:

JOHNSON CITY, Texas (Gray News) – Police in central Texas say they have reason to believe methamphetamine in Blanco County may be contaminated with the coronavirus and should be checked.

The offer comes in a public service announcement posted by the Johnson City Police Department to Facebook.

“If you have meth with you, please get it tested prior to use,” the post says, offering addresses where people can take their drugs for testing.

“If you prefer to keep your meth in the privacy of your own home you may contact Blanco County Dispatch … and have an officer come to your house to test your meth for contamination.”

Stay safe Texas goons :ohdear:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, easily is the wrong word. Doable with hard work and a decent amount of knowledge.

It's a full time job. You might not think it at first, but you could spend a lot of time maintaining even a small garden. If you're not in decent shape, it will get you there, but it's a lot of work.

I grew up on a grain farm. We had a modest garden, maybe 500 sq ft. It was supplemental at best and I spent lots of evenings working that little patch with my grandmother, who also walked beans with us kids (manually weeding 80 acre fields).

Nothing about farming is easy except the talking.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

lol just loving lol if you take public safety announcements from cops in any southern state at face value

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

poverty goat posted:

one thing you definitely never need to worry about in america is anyone building a hospital in a couple of weeks

Maybe we can repurpose dead malls.

People keep referring to this as a flu, but my understanding is that it's not influenza? Please enable me to be pedantic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

No risks at all with undermining a public health response with law enforcement, not at all. Even if this is obviously a joke it's the same line of thinking that results in vaccination doctors getting killed because some of them are plants collecting DNA samples.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's a part of the Coronaviridae family, alongside MERS and SARS. The flu viruses are part of the Orthomyxoviridae family. But in practice both families of viruses have very, very similar symptoms. Generally, flu viruses are better at spreading, but coronaviruses are more lethal. This virus (SARS-CoV-2) is unusually in that it's less lethal than the normal coronavirus (still more lethal than the flu) but better at spreading. In a way, it's halfway between an average coronavirus and an average flu virus.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

what a dumb, lovely joke

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol so fake.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe we can repurpose dead malls.

The VA was no poo poo looking at dead malls for a spell a few years ago. It makes sense too, lots of dead empty space that the local vet communities already know, space for them to walk and congregate and bullshit. You could even turn the old anchor stores into nursing facilities for old veterans preparing for Valhalla.

Wouldn't be hard to convert an existing structure like a mall to get portions of it up to code for medical facilities, and there's probably already opthalmologists facilities on site, maybe dental, definitely keep the food court up and running, put a PX/BX store inside so vets don't have to drive to a base to shop at their own weird walmart (tax free bitches), and a small commissary. Obviously none of this would ever happen, but I'd love to see it at a local dead mall instead of having to drive a hundred loving miles to see a doctor.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Enfys posted:

It’s also pretty funny to think you can do that without being vegetarian bc raising and slaughtering enough meat to get by is probably about a cool quarter acre even just for chickens. Half an acre is an insanely small amount of land even if you live on a perfect farming plot, which most blocks aren’t even in ag regions

Like I’m doing the star dew valley life and it’s working out ok but it’s sure as gently caress not easy and I’m nowhere near self sufficient

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 28, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol so fake.

I hope someone prepares a big vat of methyl alcohol and then calls up the police all "I have a ton of meth here that needs coronavirus testing, please come quickly"

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Filmed yesterday: line in Honolulu Costco running the entire length of the store as people buy water and toilet paper en masse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcv24BacUA

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Everybody whose face was scanned in the vicinity

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

police departments are much like my dad in the sense that they love to use the same lame loving jokes over and over

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s also pretty funny to think you can do that without being vegetarian bc raising and slaughtering enough meat to get by is probably about a cool quarter acre even just for chickens. Half an acre is an insanely small amount of land even if you live on a perfect farming plot, which most blocks aren’t even in ag regions

Like I’m doing the star dew valley life and it’s working out ok but it’s sure as gently caress not easy and I’m nowhere near self sufficient

The more space you have for animals, even small ones, the better. To do a "mini-farm" or whatever, you want at least five acres, period. Got to keep chickens away from everything because they are literally the loving devil in hen form. Any amount of goats worth having will eat all your grass and then all the trash you can feed them, including whatever you open air compost. Rabbits are, well, loving rabbits, you have one pair, you're gonna have a lot more in three months, good eating though. Their populace alone will eat everything you grow in the garden. Want a slightly larger animal? Ten acres. Minimum. Then a barn to keep everyone in when you decide random hutches and pens are a pain in the rear end, might as well conglomerate everyone under the same roof? Right?

Mini-farms are black holes for money. If you live on a 0.1 acre lot, you're not getting anything done except with window boxes and maybe a few weeks supply of a small variety of vegetables for the year.

For non-acre people, 2 hectare with small animals, 4 hectare with any large.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/sta...D769%23lastpost

No links to anyone who is known to have it, this poo poo is currently in the wild in CA

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argentum posted:

On the bright side this is probably the catalyst to crash the markets and save us from climate change, and in particular will destroy the conservative and liberal parties that had undermined healthcare systems across the world. Like lol even with an extremely low mortality rate for people under 30 this is going to probably rack up a global death count larger than the holocaust or ussr famines. And they're gonna be seen as responsible for this getting out of control

lol

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How high do I need to turn up my vape to make sure it kills the coronavirus? Gonna turn these lungs into a hostile environment

E: :blastu: take that coronavirus u lil bitch

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 29, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Play posted:

The pied didgeridooer of hamlin, spreading the sweet dulcet tones of the dideridoo along with enormous viral clouds potent enough to strike down an entire city

The Naked Digeridooer of Shoreditch

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bardeh posted:

How high do I need to turn up my vape to make sure it kills the coronavirus? Gonna turn these lungs into a hostile environment
the gas mask bong was made for this

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/sta...D769%23lastpost

No links to anyone who is known to have it, this poo poo is currently in the wild in CA

So long bay area. CA quarantine zone 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Shaocaholica posted:

So long bay area. CA quarantine zone 1.

Just lol if you think the US is anywhere near reacting to this enough for a quarantine... just lol.*

*: Lots Of Love

Also:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233521571127578624