Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Illegal amplifiers are detected by imperial psykers and pisses off the Empire, who send strong raids against you with good equipment. A fair chunk of their equipment is biocoded and/or protected by death acidifiers, so you won't get easy early-game LMGs by doing this.

You can also stay "neutral" by hiding your illegal psykers with a psionic silencer implant that prevents detection by the empire, but causes constant pain in the colonist who has it. This lets you have a psyker but also not piss off the empire. The advantage of doing this is if you untick the "accept imperial favor" option at the bottom left of the quests tab, the empire will offer pretty good quest rewards instead of imperial favor, which you don't need since you're not trying to advance a noble. This is probably the easiest option for those planning to build a starship instead of escape via political favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FairyNuff posted:

Pretty sure you can just assign them to a zone that exclude your farming area? Honestly can't remember if this vanilla or a mod but it seems like it'd be basic functionality.

They were wild muffalo. I did already learn how to deny certain areas to my own animals because I had a friendly pet muffalo wandering into the freezer, the kitchen, the bedrooms... :lol:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are most mods updated yet? I don't know when I should get in there but I'm not doing it without most of my 100 mods.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mzbundifund posted:

You can also stay "neutral" by hiding your illegal psykers with a psionic silencer implant that prevents detection by the empire, but causes constant pain in the colonist who has it.

Does it occupy the same spot as a painstopper?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

jokes posted:

Are most mods updated yet? I don't know when I should get in there but I'm not doing it without most of my 100 mods.

Most are updated and would show on the modlist as white, if not updated they'll be black/grey'd out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Keeshhound posted:

Not sure, if I get a painstopper I'll let you know. I do know if you have a masochist pawn it's basically a win/win.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Bramble posted:

I haven't actually built one yet, so maybe the answer is obvious when you do, but can throne rooms be multipurpose? Is sticking a throne in a spacious room where my pawns normally eat meals and use recreation items going to work, or does it need to be its own thing?

If anyone is still wondering I tested this and throne rooms can be multipurpose. My noble can recline in comfort and watch TV alongside her peasants in the throne/rec/dining room.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mzbundifund posted:

Not sure, if I get a painstopper I'll let you know. I do know if you have a masochist pawn it's basically a win/win.

I can see that, though I think pain does still cause consciousness penalties.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Gonna make a rebel colony staffed by the imperial guards that show up to kill us after they've gone through the re-education camps.

There will be two tiers of colonists - ex-empire, and Rimmers.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Mzbundifund posted:

I did this route and it does basically give you a 10+ mood illegal psyker but there's one little downside that can trip you up. Even though your masochist loves the pain, they're still feeling it so they're basically a wimp now in that they're like 60% of the way to their pain threshold so very minor wounds can incapacitate them. I found the painblock psy ability which works well to keep them walking during a fight but be cautious about that otherwise.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got the sweetest pop up in the game last night, for the 2nd time in 1100+ hours: thrumbo self-tamed

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

If anyone is still wondering I tested this and throne rooms can be multipurpose. My noble can recline in comfort and watch TV alongside her peasants in the throne/rec/dining room.

I was still wondering, thank you!

Here's another question - is there a way in either vanilla or a simple mod that restricts food quality certain pawns are allowed to consume? Like to prevent prisoners and commoners from eating lavish meals, for example.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

boar guy posted:

got the sweetest pop up in the game last night, for the 2nd time in 1100+ hours: thrumbo self-tamed

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oof turrets got so nerfed this patch. They're really REALLY hard to justify now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God dammit Tynan.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Bramble posted:

So what exactly happens when you install a psionic amplifier illegally? And is the only mechanical upside to it not having to deal with the needs of the nobility?

I think powers that you are not offically rated for have a percentage chance each time you use to piss off the empire.

Also what are the turret changes? Besides the new ammo reqs.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 28, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Bramble posted:

I was still wondering, thank you!

Here's another question - is there a way in either vanilla or a simple mod that restricts food quality certain pawns are allowed to consume? Like to prevent prisoners and commoners from eating lavish meals, for example.

Yes, this is in vanilla now. The health tab has an option to restrict pawns to specific meal quality and it works for prisoners too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Mini turrets now fire a burst of 2 instead of 3.

Autocannon turrets got their damage halved from 40 to 20, effectively far more than halved since their armor penetration ALSO got halved from 60% - 30%, at the same time a new higher-than-marine-armor tier of power armor was introduced.

Uranium Slug turrets got damage MORE than halved from 75 to 30, armor penetration reduced from 112% to 70%, range decreased from 50 to 40, now shorter than sniper rifles.

All turrets have 20% less hp.

All turrets cost more to reload.

The new smoke launchers enemies use also completely disable turrets as well, turrets will not even attempt to fire at targets in smoke.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

It does not as far as I can see. I had a pawn with a painstopper already installed use the implant and both worked correctly. I do not know if you can add a painstopper after a pawn has the paychic implant though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mzbundifund posted:

Mini turrets now fire a burst of 2 instead of 3.

Autocannon turrets got their damage halved from 40 to 20, effectively far more than halved since their armor penetration ALSO got halved from 60% - 30%, at the same time a new higher-than-marine-armor tier of power armor was introduced.

Uranium Slug turrets got damage MORE than halved from 75 to 30, armor penetration reduced from 112% to 70%, range decreased from 50 to 40, now shorter than sniper rifles.

All turrets have 20% less hp.

All turrets cost more to reload.

The new smoke launchers enemies use also completely disable turrets as well, turrets will not even attempt to fire at targets in smoke.

:byodood: Hail traps! May their reign endure forever!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Their primary value to me has always been how good they blow up, not the bullets shooting out of them part :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Turrets are pretty great landmines/traps. Have a turret right behind a wall so that raiders will come in and instantly melee/shoot the turret, blowing up the first wave.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

turrets will not even attempt to fire at targets in smoke.

This was always true btw, smokepop belts always blocked turrets.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

jokes posted:

Turrets are pretty great landmines/traps. Have a turret right behind a wall so that raiders will come in and instantly melee/shoot the turret, blowing up the first wave.

Pretty expensive more like. Don't get me wrong, landmines are great, but what makes a good landmine is a landmine. Turrets have smaller explosions and aren't even guaranteed to explode upon death.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, now it's a psychic ability in addition to a belt armor.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

They were wild muffalo. I did already learn how to deny certain areas to my own animals because I had a friendly pet muffalo wandering into the freezer, the kitchen, the bedrooms... :lol:

OwlFancier posted:

You can, but only if you own them. If you have wild animals and are growing outside your perimeter wall then yes, animals will come and eat your poo poo, and fence mods are good for that reason, if not also because they look nice. They're also good for forcing your pawns to use paths.

Oops I was so tired I didn't even think about wild animals.
The best way to ensure nothing wild eats your crops is to kill everything wild that even looks at a potato. Although the fence mod is nice if you have a bit of an open base.

Mzbundifund posted:

Oof turrets got so nerfed this patch. They're really REALLY hard to justify now.

Might be worth looking in the Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Security mod as it seems pretty balanced and has decent base defense stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm kind of biased re: turrets, I came by that opinion prior to the addition of IEDs. I haven't built a turret killbox since like Alpha 9.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lladre posted:

Yes, now it's a psychic ability in addition to a belt armor.

Oh, it's a psychic ability on top of the new smoke grenadiers in non-DLC vanilla?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Finally got around to buying this game. Started out vanilla as recommended and I'm into late summer. Game is good.

I feel like I haven't screwed anything up too badly yet. Mining my base out of a hill rather than using an abandoned structure maybe wasn't the greatest idea, but I'm a bit too far in to move it now. Fortunately I'm about to recruit my first prisoner, who can take over building for my cook and hunting for my researcher/doctor, which will free up some time to dig.

I definitely underestimated the amount of storage I would need, though. Also I assumed all this time that the warg I got at the start was just a useful flavor item, so I've just been letting it wander around and murder small animals :shobon:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Discussion Quorum posted:

Finally got around to buying this game. Started out vanilla as recommended and I'm into late summer. Game is good.

I feel like I haven't screwed anything up too badly yet. Mining my base out of a hill rather than using an abandoned structure maybe wasn't the greatest idea, but I'm a bit too far in to move it now. Fortunately I'm about to recruit my first prisoner, who can take over building for my cook and hunting for my researcher/doctor, which will free up some time to dig.

I definitely underestimated the amount of storage I would need, though. Also I assumed all this time that the warg I got at the start was just a useful flavor item, so I've just been letting it wander around and murder small animals :shobon:

It takes daily pawn labor and food, but you can set the warg to train guarding to turn your animal handling pawn into a much better melee character. Little more training and he can release ol puppers to go a murderin. Lil more training and he'll haul poo poo for you. There's like two ways to get to these menus, you can click on Oogie or find him in the animal tab.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's also a smoke grenade shooting gun now

*added in Royalty

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

There's also a smoke grenade shooting gun now

*added in Royalty

I think it was added in 1.1 vanilla, not the DLC

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If they are going to nerf traps they need to make recruitment/fighting easier. Right now losing a pawn is a huge deal and replacing them can be difficult/up to rng. Also while I'm at it I hate explosives, if you don't notice one guy with a nade or rocket launcher you are bound to lose several people especially if you can't turret them as well.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Randy please

I only have 5 colonists

I have fought and killed 40 people in 2 days

just one day of peace I beg you

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The turret changes may be in part due to the fact that psy powers are OP as gently caress. I haven't gotten any of the really high level ones but I can either chain stun 1-2 pawns or teleport one pawn every few seconds. I plan on building a field of traps to teleport melee attackers into. Ranged will get either teleported into melee or into the middle of a pack of pissed off wargs if I can ever manage to tame any.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm curious how that will hold up once you get to the point where you've got loving armies coming in.

Even a lot of the super broken Rimworld of Magic bullshit powers outside of the mass AoE stuff stopped being relevant once you reached a certain raid strength because loving over a couple of pawns is irrelevant when they've got 70 guys behind them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

I'm curious how that will hold up once you get to the point where you've got loving armies coming in.

Even a lot of the super broken Rimworld of Magic bullshit powers outside of the mass AoE stuff stopped being relevant once you reached a certain raid strength because loving over a couple of pawns is irrelevant when they've got 70 guys behind them.

On the other hand, the mass AoE stuff was super broken as well and pretty ubiquitous by the time big raids really got going. "A 70 man raid? Oh nice, maybe my max level Fire Storm won't be a complete overkill for once."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Winter is real rough. I was expecting the crops to die but wasn't expecting the animals to disappear and a bunch of the trees dying.

Do you guys think tribal or standard is the better starting scenario? I tried both and I like that tribal starts you out more from scratch, but I wonder if maybe the difficulty curve gets hurt by that, especially since I'm still learning the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Tribal is harder because you can't refrigerate foods.