Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to grab a rift a tonight. Should be good with a 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and a i7 4770k eh?

Similar boat except I'm waiting for the index to become available. How much trust can I place in the steam VR performance tester? Has it at all been updated for more modern hardware, and if so, is there another benchmark I should try?

Here's the report:

You can see exactly when a message popped up on telegram, the fact that something like a notification can make an actual real dip like that makes me wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

Similar boat except I'm waiting for the index to become available. How much trust can I place in the steam VR performance tester? Has it at all been updated for more modern hardware, and if so, is there another benchmark I should try?

Here's the report:

You can see exactly when a message popped up on telegram, the fact that something like a notification can make an actual real dip like that makes me wonder.

It's generally accurate. How much RAM do you have?

edit: Just to give you an idea, I'm on a GTX1080 and a Ryzen 1700X (8-core 3.4GHz CPU). The only time the framerate really dips for me is when there's like a LOT of clutte,r or in VRChat where "optimization" is a dirty word to most avatar and world-makers.. You'll be fine for general VR gaming.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 29, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to grab a rift a tonight. Should be good with a 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and a i7 4770k eh?

have a similar setup: everything out there right now runs fine but I assume I'll need to upgrade whenever the next generation of VR stuff starts coming out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's generally accurate. How much RAM do you have?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's plenty. You should be good to go for VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool beans, thanks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Been looking into PokerStars VR. There's a bunch of reviews on Steam that claim they're pretty ban happy for silly things. Are these people just sourpusses, or can you indeed not shoot the poo poo in the game? --edit: Also, apparently you can trade in-game credits for real life prices?!

Also, anyone here with an Index got adventurous and is running the Windows Insider build from the slow ring? The last time I tried the 20H1 builds a few months ago, the headset couldn't reliably communicate with the base stations to awake them and put them back into sleep mode.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 29, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Been looking into PokerStars VR. There's a bunch of reviews on Steam that claim they're pretty ban happy for silly things. Are these people just sourpusses, or can you indeed not shoot the poo poo in the game? --edit: Also, apparently you can trade in-game credits for real life prices?!

Also, anyone here with an Index got adventurous and is running the Windows Insider build from the slow ring? The last time I tried the 20H1 builds a few months ago, the headset couldn't reliably communicate with the base stations to awake them and put them back into sleep mode.

They must have been super toxic. I know some people who are total shitheads who’ve never been banned.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Was in the top ~200 hundred in Poker Stars in the last two days by just not being a moron.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

H3VR update is out of beta. Changelog is long:

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791448487513/announcements/detail/1707365591065328347

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What's important is Anton added Derringers :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLyiCK7hx0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's important is Anton added Derringers :allears:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

People getting banned from Pokerstars and saying it’s for “no reason” are definitely dropping N-Bombs left and right or harassing women and super toxic poo poo like that.

You absolutely can gently caress around at the tables all you want. They have 12 menus full of props to buy for a reason. They want you to play around with stuff while you play poker.

But if you start harassing people you probably will get banned. Your Pokerstars account is tied to your oculus or steam account as well so it’s tough to circumvent a ban

The real life money aspect comes from the fact that you can buy their fake currency with real money to buy props. Want that cool drone that costs 1500 pokerbux? You can shortcut your wait time by just paying $20 for 1500 pokerbux. You earn their currency automatically by just playing. To the tune of 1 pokerbux per minute or something like that. Buying it is for people who just can’t wait.

You can also buy chips. This is mainly for the people who want to play at the $1,000,000 tables and don’t want to wait to earn enough chips. It takes a while to earn a million dollars and some people consider the highest stakes tables to be the only way to play. So again you can shortcut your trip to the million dollar tables by paying actual money.

This process absolutely does not go the other way. You cannot cash your chips or pokerbux back out for real money.

I will say I’ve been playing PokerstarsVR regularly for more than a year and have never once felt at risk of a ban. Just don’t be a shithead. I have also never spent a cent on it. I’ll play the million dollar tables when I get there but it’s not my primary goal in the game.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The real life money aspect comes from the fact that you can buy their fake currency with real money to buy props. Want that cool drone that costs 1500 pokerbux? You can shortcut your wait time by just paying $20 for 1500 pokerbux. You earn their currency automatically by just playing. To the tune of 1 pokerbux per minute or something like that. Buying it is for people who just can’t wait.
Oh it's in-game props? OK, because I was wondering why someone was whining about a vape.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new SteamVR release seems pretty drat nice.

OVRToolkit released a big update as well, and one of the nice new features is it has a spotify plugin for the wrist menu so you can play or skip tracks without pulling out a window.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm surprised NVidia added an VRSS profile for PokerStarsVR, considering it runs relatively like crap at even just 100% SS.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm surprised NVidia added an VRSS profile for PokerStarsVR, considering it runs relatively like crap at even just 100% SS.

Wouldn't that just be more of a reason to add a profile?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New ALVR version

quote:

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases/tag/ev9

added sharpening filter
added proof of concept hand-tracking
added support to emulate vive headset.
added support for manual controller rotation and offsets
added fix for warped games like DCS World and Tomb Raider
added game profiles to automatically set configuration for:
-- Boneworks
-- DCS World
added function to start ALVR minimized in tray
added option to auto start SteamVR if a HMD connects

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HolyKrap posted:

Wouldn't that just be more of a reason to add a profile?
From what I know, it bumps the supersampling of the center region, doesn't lower the outsides (I think).

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

New ALVR version

What is ALVR?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Combat Pretzel posted:

From what I know, it bumps the supersampling of the center region, doesn't lower the outsides (I think).

I don't have a turing card to test but I was under the impression with the right settings you could have 100% SS in the center region and a lower resolution with MSAA on the sides which should boost performance

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

What is ALVR?

Free, open-source app to play wirelessly SteamVR games in the Quest. An alternative to Virtual Desktop, in other words.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

New ALVR version

Ah, dang. I just bought Virtual Desktop specifically because of ALVR funky controller offsets.

Ah well, VD is much more plug and play and (seemingly) has better latency in my limited testing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My experience with ALVR is that I don't know how it was mapping the Touch controllers to SteamVR that in Blade & Sorcery I couldn't click to continue on the first screen, where you setup your character.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was ~6 mts away from the next save point in Boneworks when my screen was suddenly black (Link failing?) I noticed SteamVR saying it needed to restart on the real monitor so I clicked yes, then screen came back in VR but the game was nowhere to see... it had closed down. :( :(

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Another good way to get banned from Pokerstars is to ask about an issue on WMR in the discord. They answered that they straight up don't try to fix stuff for "non supported" hardware, namely WMR and Index, and banned me. I wasn't being profane or anything like that.
It used to work for me but for some reason thinks my controllers are behind my head, execution-style when I load in. I tried a bunch of stuff to troubleshoot it and met a complete brick wall from the devs. Luckily it was just a ban from their discord, I'm hoping the issue will cease one day as randomly as it started.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WMR not being supported, I can understand, given that Microsoft essentially gave up. But the Index? The gently caress? What's wrong with it, anyway?

Also, re: Pokerstars, I suppose they do crossplay and the SteamDB player counts are irrelevant, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes it’s crossplay between steamvr, Oculus and PSVR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Room: A Dark Matter finally has a release date; March 26th, across all platforms.

Which frankly seems like suicide for a VR game.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
So I got a Rift S and so far it's been really cool - I got it half for exercise and I've so far reached my daily goal of 30 mins in BOXVR and moon rider through the supermedium browser in short ~4 minute spurts because I'm an overweight goon with back and leg problems.The other half of it I got for gaming of course and so far of what I've tried besides the popular ones (pavlov,space pirate trainer,compound demo etc) that was quite interesting is kartong (roguelike shooter where you're miniaturized in a cardboard universe),hoverskate VR (handboarding but with a hoverboard) and Garden of the Sea (one of those "you got a house in a chill and vibrant environment,take care of it" games in early access by the budget cut devs).

I have to redraw the guardian boundary every time I turn on the PC though ,but that's probably because of the way i keep the headset when not in use - turned towards and close to a single-colored wall.

EDITED - never mind,the scaling thing was me not understanding scale in multiple realities at once.

Incrediblastic fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 1, 2020

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
If you like those videos about the scale of planets to the sun and other things in the universe, give Titans of Space PLUS a try. Yes, it is way too short, but the sense of scale is really impressive!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can also buy chips. This is mainly for the people who want to play at the $1,000,000 tables and don’t want to wait to earn enough chips.
A while ago I played with someone who bought some chips that day. They played on a 1million table until they got invited to some exclusive 1on1 table. I don't know what went on at that table, but somehow they got convinced to rebuy chips after they lost everything. 3 times. So they were out of 400$ in an hour.
And I thought the VR game was just to advertise the real money pokerstars (to kids).

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Will I be able to play Stormland on Index with an RTX 2070 and an i7-7700? Do I need to lower the resolution or anything? I've heard it's a pretty demanding game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I'm going to have to stop playing Boneworks, at least until Link stability improves. I hope they will release a new version just before HL Alyx. Unlike Oculus apps, if the connection breaks one second, Steam VR says it needs to restart to it won't recover gracefully, as when it restarts also the SteamvR apps that are running will get closed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, I'm going to have to stop playing Boneworks, at least until Link stability improves. I hope they will release a new version just before HL Alyx. Unlike Oculus apps, if the connection breaks one second, Steam VR says it needs to restart to it won't recover gracefully, as when it restarts also the SteamvR apps that are running will get closed.

I haven't had any stability issues with Link with the official cable, though I did with my 3rd party cable before I got the official one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

I haven't had any stability issues with Link with the official cable, though I did with my 3rd party cable before I got the official one.

Grrr... you made me buy the stupid 90€ cable from Oculus. Well, I did it because it has a 30 day return period, enough to recover the money if I see the problem still happens (that would be indicate it's a thing with my usb ports, I guess).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Hope you used my referral code.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This might be obvious to everyone, but hoo boy.

At some point I must have enabled Advanced Supersampling in SteamVR's video settings. For the last few days everything looked low res and blurry, no matter what I did with the scaling. Then I disabled Advanced SS and everything was crisp and perfect. It's amazing that one setting (which sounded like a positive thing) could make things so terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got an alpha key for virtual battlegrounds and tried it on Friday. I’m guessing their servers crashed for the alpha because I instantaneously won every round I was in because I was the only one in it.

Catch me on the leaderboards lol

Seems pretty cool. Looks better than Stand Out which isn’t a high bar to clear. Wish it worked though

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This might be obvious to everyone, but hoo boy.

At some point I must have enabled Advanced Supersampling in SteamVR's video settings. For the last few days everything looked low res and blurry, no matter what I did with the scaling. Then I disabled Advanced SS and everything was crisp and perfect. It's amazing that one setting (which sounded like a positive thing) could make things so terrible.

Just checked and mine was on too and I definitely didn't enable that, so at some point it was either added as the default or that setting changed by an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
#1 on PokerStars right now apparently, at least that's what my stats say.

This char is 2 days old and I'm up to $100k.