Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
HOT TIP!

If you're playing with friends on discord, make a long hypertube in a high-traffic area (like to your first outpost or something). After 40 hours, hijack the tube halfway through to make it do a world tour!

You'll have hours of fun (if you make it long enough)!

Bonus points when your friend accidentally goes through again with nobody but himself to blame!

Edit: the host can back up/reverse when in hypertubes, joined players cannot afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
You can change directions in the tube, so it'll work for round 1, not round 2

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Joda posted:

You can change directions in the tube, so it'll work for round 1, not round 2

Not if you are a guest in multiplayer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Not if you are a guest in multiplayer.

That's the weirdest goddamn limitation.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KillHour posted:

That's the weirdest goddamn limitation.

You also can't drive a train if the host isn't nearby.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

LonsomeSon posted:

Wait, I thought nobelisks couldn’t be used to damage wildlife?!

There is a uranium node that had like 5 of those big spider things running around it so I got on a foundation above them and toss 5 or so nobelisks down on their pathing rout and kaboomed them when they'd run by. I also like to put 20 or so spaced out along the edge of a forest and kaboom a bunch of trees and rocks. I just like to kaboom things really.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright so I'm going for "all statues" and now have reached the end game. What's the best single-ticket ticket item, and how long does a nuclear fuel cell last?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Not sure about most efficient shreddee, but a nuclear fuel rod lasts 5 minutes at full load.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I believe turbo motors are worth the most points per item (about 1.3 million), closely tailed by supercomputers. Whether it's the most efficient is another question, there's probably another item that's easier to set up larger production lines for for a greater points accumulation rate.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

I believe turbo motors are worth the most points per item (about 1.3 million), closely tailed by supercomputers. Whether it's the most efficient is another question, there's probably another item that's easier to set up larger production lines for for a greater points accumulation rate.

Yea looking at Turbomotors the supply chain looks a bit nuts but this is a Prestige run rather than speed run, so off I go!

I spent 12 full hours making a future-proof Aluminum factory so I know what the score is

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Evilreaver posted:

Yea looking at Turbomotors the supply chain looks a bit nuts but this is a Prestige run rather than speed run, so off I go!

I spent 12 full hours making a future-proof Aluminum factory so I know what the score is

Got any pictures/videos? I remember the amazing poo poo you used to do on Factorio.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wonder if I should do the 50 turbomotors for 8 tickets and then mulch those motors, for more tickets. I bet the returns would be pretty decent for a few times.

84, 52, 39. 33, 28, 24, 23, 20, 19, 16 were the returns for turning those in. Not bad.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 1, 2020

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

More fun with hypertubes in multiplayer

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I am making a factory to produce three (3) heavy modular frames a minute and it is taking hours. Jeez

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GruntyThrst posted:

I am making a factory to produce three (3) heavy modular frames a minute and it is taking hours. Jeez

I've been fitfully working on a build to consume 4 pure iron nodes. This will be the one place for all of my pre-steel components moving forwaad. The imbalance with one coal (and sulfur, so compacted) node means I'm only using steel for rods and screws, but even so to consume all that I will be outputting 12 plating, 20 rotors, and 50 modular frames per minute I think. It's taken me a week because there are no working planners and whenever it feels too much like work I go do something else.

I think if I'm gonna change it after this it would have to be an endgame refactor. All the best recipes all the time. Ingots in refineries, trains, one central location for everything.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

GruntyThrst posted:

For reals, i stopped procrastinating to actually start making heavy frames so i can work on the next milestone and goddamn, it felt like a hell of an achievement to finally seal the thing up with walls and a roof, and that was just making products from ingots to feed a single manufacturer.

This game really fucks with my hopes and dreams about efficiency. I keep starting off thinking about what the most complete consumption of all my resource nodes will be and how i might be able to use the overflow of rods over there, and i end up always just realising that it's usually fine to just build too many production machines and scoop up the last 0.66... iron rods every other cycle instead of loving around making a spider's web of merging and splitting belts, because the less time i spend making it Just Right is more time it can actually be producing stuff.

I'm just at the stage where i'm going to need more raw materials than my starting area can provide and thinking pretty hard about doing Fuzzy Mammal's thing of just making a central factory about 50m above ground that brings stuff in from outside, though oil processing needing water might be a ballache to make smooth. It's going to be another big plateau of progress until i lay all the foundation work though, and embracing the spaghetti can be extremely freeing.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 1, 2020

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Most fun i've had in this game is making ad-hoc solutions. Like in situations such as 'coal mines are shutting down because your piping sucks' or 'your refineries output too much waste material' or 'poo poo I need copper and quartz to get my aluminium up and running in this outpost'.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

We need splitters for conveyor lifts

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK Finished that big build I was talking about. And it's 4:30 am fuuuu

From right to left
330/m steel ingots with from compacted coal
The rest of the 960/m iron ore in to ingots
Foreground steel beams for screws. So many screws.
In the peninsula 4 columns
26 plate machines
6 screw-bolted reinforced plate pairs
4 rod makers
8 rotor makers
4 more screw machines for the rotors
6 plating machines
7 screen machines for the modular frames
10 modular frame machines

for 50 frames, 12 plating, and 20 rotors/min. Time for bed

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, good, the reduced Refinery power requirements mean all the extra refining you have to do now won't be such a drain on the power supply.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I haven't played this game as much as most people here, so I was wondering, if you need to transport a resource to your base, what distance is the point where you decide to use a truck or a train, rather than belting or plating them in?
The farthest I've gone so far is piping oil in from 2km away, it was a bit of a hassle to lay a 2km pipeline through the jungle, but it still seemed preferable over building trains (which I haven't researched yet) or trucks.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

kanonvandekempen posted:

I haven't played this game as much as most people here, so I was wondering, if you need to transport a resource to your base, what distance is the point where you decide to use a truck or a train, rather than belting or plating them in?
The farthest I've gone so far is piping oil in from 2km away, it was a bit of a hassle to lay a 2km pipeline through the jungle, but it still seemed preferable over building trains (which I haven't researched yet) or trucks.

If I'm bringing a raw natural resource directly into a production facility, I always try to use conveyor belts so I can know my throughput exactly (since conveyor belts cannot get stuck on a random bump or run out of fuel; as an aside I would *love* a QoL enhancement where a truck stop/train station has a calculated unit/min going in/out). Normally that's going to be within 500 m or so of the resource itself.

If I'm *shipping* something, which is usually finished goods or intermediate steps, then I'll usually send it by truck/train.

Liquids are an exception because IMO it's prohibitively expensive to do anything but pipe them from source to destination. You can either set set up an additional 2 dedicated refineries and a constructor to make plastic, make liquid containers, and fill the containers which you must then set up a transportation system for, or you could run a pipe which costs nothing but copper sheeting with a few rods/iron sheets/concrete for the supports. Pretty easy choice, there.

Also, an earlier tier coal powered train would be cool so you could set up your track system while you're in that initial expansion phase.

Speedball posted:

Oh, good, the reduced Refinery power requirements mean all the extra refining you have to do now won't be such a drain on the power supply.

Agreed, but the liquid ratios got worse to balance. Oil wells to refineries always works in nice whole numbers but heavy oil residue -> refinery and fuel -> generator are all very awkward decimals. At least they are in my setup which is currently oil -> (plastic/rubber) heavy oil residue -> fuel - > generator.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 2, 2020

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there an easy way to use tractors for moving multiple types of items while using a minimum amount of depots? I want to move modular frames and screws for making heavy frames, but the production of my iron based items is far from the steel based items and I would prefer a truck to a million miles of belts. I know I could split the output of the depot using a smart splitter, but I'm still worried about screws overfilling its dedicated storage unit and preventing the frames from being offloaded. On the load side, I'm concerned that the screws will fill the depot and truck before the frames will. Is the solution two loading depots, with the truck stopping at the frame depot first and then the screws, combined with a ton of screw storage on the offloading side?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

kanonvandekempen posted:

Trucks are kind of lovely. i'd build new outposts with a single conveyor transporting the end result at around 2km.

So last week there was apparently a bug where aliens would spawn around peoples bases - and the developer acknowledged this and put out a patch to fix it. while this was being reported on i didnt see the bug, but now that it's been 'fixed' i have NON STOP respawning aliens around every single resource my base is built on top of. I am being attacked constantly when trying to get things out of containers, it's getting incredibly tedious.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

cubicle gangster posted:

Trucks are kind of lovely. i'd build new outposts with a single conveyor transporting the end result at around 2km.

So last week there was apparently a bug where aliens would spawn around peoples bases - and the developer acknowledged this and put out a patch to fix it. while this was being reported on i didnt see the bug, but now that it's been 'fixed' i have NON STOP respawning aliens around every single resource my base is built on top of. I am being attacked constantly when trying to get things out of containers, it's getting incredibly tedious.

Running sword battles against those loving fruit flies through a nightmare hell maze of my own making was sorta cool, the first dozen times at least

Trucks are pretty ponderous. Other than setting up auto pilot routes, I hate driving them. I usually make two or three foundation wide roads, and at least the new ramps have helped trucks navigate the turns better.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wrr posted:

I want to move modular frames and screws

Don't move screws. Move the precursor to the screws. Screws should move as short as possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Screws are the bane of my existence. They should either move in stacks of 10, or only require a few instead of 20.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Definitely have to move screws around with the highest-tier belt you can make, and only as close as you can to point of need.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The screw from steel recipe makes things generally ok. You can underclock two a small bit to saturate a mk 4 belt, but often you don't need to as the (alt) recipes that take screws also require just about 250/s too. You just pair up a screw constructor with a consumer right there. Make screws as close as possible to where you'll consume them as nielsm said.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just use the alternate recipes that don’t require screws.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I have everything as easily reprodiceble units, and I always make wire and screws on-location. Anything where the output has more volume than the input I integrate into the factory for any resource that needs it.

Fastened Portal Bart
Dec 16, 2004
Tally ho!

Wrr posted:

Is there an easy way to use tractors for moving multiple types of items while using a minimum amount of depots? I want to move modular frames and screws for making heavy frames, but the production of my iron based items is far from the steel based items and I would prefer a truck to a million miles of belts. I know I could split the output of the depot using a smart splitter, but I'm still worried about screws overfilling its dedicated storage unit and preventing the frames from being offloaded. On the load side, I'm concerned that the screws will fill the depot and truck before the frames will. Is the solution two loading depots, with the truck stopping at the frame depot first and then the screws, combined with a ton of screw storage on the offloading side?

Here's what I do, not the most elegant solution but it works:

1. build a row of 5 (or however many you like) connected splitters feeding into each other in a row (like this -> -> -> -> ->)
2. on top of these, build another splitter, then a merger, so you have a row of mergers on the third level. delete the second row and connect the mergers
3. now on the left and right side of each splitter build a conveyor lift into the merger above it
4. send the splitter output on the bottom to a sink, and the input will continue out of the mergers

This will give you almost all of your input on the upper level while (1/3)^5, or less than half a percent, of the input goes into the sink. Once your output backs up, it will send the rest of the inputs straight into the sink.

Important to note that you need to build one of these for each individual product you're splitting, AFTER the splitter, so the back up never gets to the smart splitter (and starts trashing everything on the belt).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I can't believe we are this deep in to early access and have had this many major updates and the threaded things in the blue tubs are still referred to as 'screws' when they are clearly bolts.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

at last, we can have a discussion about the real issues

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

While we're airing little gripes, it feels wrong to me that Turbo Motors require Radio Control Units. There's nothing conceptually about a supercharged motor that requires remote control? I could see the use of requiring computers/supercomputers, but...
Not to mention RCU's require two of the same inputs as Turbo Motors on default recipes. I do wonder if it's a placeholder, just to give you a reason to make RCU's. Most other items have pretty logical reasons for all their inputs.

Except the AI Limiter. That one is just total nonsense. Especially since it's likely to be the first computer-related item you can make.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, uh, this guy found out how to make a rail gun for humans using the hypertubes and its' pretty hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnKEG9dmGUQ

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So how do trains work with multiple trains on one line? My guess is they phase through each other, but I don't want to build a ton of infrastructure that's going to not work once put together.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

So how do trains work with multiple trains on one line? My guess is they phase through each other, but I don't want to build a ton of infrastructure that's going to not work once put together.

Your guess is correct.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tenebrais posted:

Your guess is correct.

How about at a station if two are trying to unload at once? I don't know which is more likely of (a) queue system (b) #2 boots #1 out (c) both unload at the same time (d) CHAOS OPTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

While we're airing little gripes, it feels wrong to me that Turbo Motors require Radio Control Units. There's nothing conceptually about a supercharged motor that requires remote control?

The motors need radio control units so they can radio your driving habits and personal data to FICSIT.

nielsm posted:

Don't move screws. Move the precursor to the screws. Screws should move as short as possible.

Why shouldn't I move screws?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 3, 2020