Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s a housing issue, which is a lifestyle choice, not a carb issue

Well yeah, I mean raising chickens is a housing and lifestyle issue, not a chicken issue. Not saying fresh eggs aren't worth it, but not everyone can raise chickens, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You're all missing one big point: if you want to buy a motorcycle and don't want to buy new, it means you have to buy used. Most used bikes on the market, whether through dealers or private sales, are carbed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You're all missing one big point: if you want to buy a motorcycle and don't want to buy new, it means you have to buy used. Most used bikes on the market, whether through dealers or private sales, are carbed.

I was gonna mention that housing is very much not a lifestyle issue for a lot of people either but that isn't a bike stuff. And if you're broke, a screwdriver and a gasket set cost less than a power commander and laptop/man with a dyno.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Well yeah, I mean raising chickens is a housing and lifestyle issue, not a chicken issue. Not saying fresh eggs aren't worth it, but not everyone can raise chickens, ya know?

I get it. I’ve rebuilt carbs on kitchen tables and floors of Unheated single stall apartment garages before. The struggle is real

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Not to make you feel old or anything, but it's been nearly 20 years since the last carbed SV even. Unless you're specifically looking for something from the 80s or 90s, chances are it's going to be fuel injected.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can still buy brand new DR's in several flavors that all have carbs?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

You can still buy brand new motorcycles in several flavors that all have carbs?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

Not to make you feel old or anything, but it's been nearly 20 years since the last carbed SV even. Unless you're specifically looking for something from the 80s or 90s, chances are it's going to be fuel injected.

I just filtered local craigslist for private sales. Of the first 30 listings, only 12 were fuel injected and 20 were 2000+. Maybe it's a regional thing, but around me, carbs are still the most prevalent. I suppose if you got strict with your filtering, like titled street bikes above 250 cc, that balance might shift, but in terms of bikes all together, that's how it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

There are still a ton of carbed bikes on the new market even. You don’t even have to get a used bike to get carbs. Fuel injection doesn’t make sense below a certain price point and retooling an existing bike to add FI doesn’t make sense by itself either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just filtered local craigslist for private sales. Of the first 30 listings, only 12 were fuel injected and 20 were 2000+. Maybe it's a regional thing, but around me, carbs are still the most prevalent. I suppose if you got strict with your filtering, like titled street bikes above 250 cc, that balance might shift, but in terms of bikes all together, that's how it is.

Yeah it probably factors into the whole lifestyle thing. I immediately discount all the under $1k projects (actually those bikes don't even exist for that cheap up here), small displacement, and dirt bikes that you'd get as a second, third, fourth+ bike to tinker on and ride only a portion of the time. If you can only have one bike to do everything and you have to rely on it, and purchase price isn't the limiting factor, the picture changes a lot.
Just a quick look on Kijiji right now and there's barely anything older than 2005, and only maybe a couple of carbed bikes among them, (not including the Harley's because I have no idea if they're typically carbed or efi and don't care to look it up) but it's also the dead of winter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah it probably factors into the whole lifestyle thing. I immediately discount all the under $1k projects (actually those bikes don't even exist for that cheap up here), small displacement, and dirt bikes that you'd get as a second, third, fourth+ bike to tinker on and ride only a portion of the time. If you can only have one bike to do everything and you have to rely on it, and purchase price isn't the limiting factor, the picture changes a lot.
Just a quick look on Kijiji right now and there's barely anything older than 2005, and only maybe a couple of carbed bikes among them, (not including the Harley's because I have no idea if they're typically carbed or efi and don't care to look it up) but it's also the dead of winter.

My region is heavy into dirt/dual sports and cruisers, with a smattering of the newer Japanese street bikes that are ubiquitous everywhere. Lol I forgot that my default craigslist search eliminates all Harley Davidson stuff, too, I bet that changes it a little.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my default craigslist search eliminates all Harley Davidson stuff

:catstare: teach me. I live in Milwaukee, I need this. Teach me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:catstare: teach me. I live in Milwaukee, I need this. Teach me.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=-harley+-davidson+-hd+-%22h+d%22

Bookmark it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yes thank you

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gonna reopen Pandora's Box and link https://searchtempest.com again

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You're a wizard, Harry!

On related note, listing a vehicle on CL now cost $5. Notice the lack of scam posts across the board.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What percentage of bikes are Harleys in your areas? Here in the Bay Area they are definitely in the minority. It’s fairly evenly split between Japanese, Italian, and German, with maybe like 10% Harleys and choppers. That’s what I’ve seen anyway. I forget that in a lot of the US Harleys are super prevalent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I’m a bad stat because MKE is HD headquarters.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I saw a Griso V8 and fell hopelessly in love. How much pain awaits me? :ohdear:

Oh no ABS? Oh well we can't have that. I guess no Guzzi for me :sweatdrop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao as if any guzzi has abs that actually works

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Perfect yes, keep saying stuff like that, help me avoid the pain.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

I saw a Griso V8 and fell hopelessly in love. How much pain awaits me? :ohdear:

Oh no ABS? Oh well we can't have that. I guess no Guzzi for me :sweatdrop:

Are you shaped like an orangutan (arms longer than your legs)? Can you cope with the existential pain of once again letting your rational side cockblock your passione, effectively resigning yourself to the fact that you were in fact never cool enough to pull it off anyway?
If no, lots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Are you shaped like an orangutan (arms longer than your legs)? Can you cope with the existential pain of once again letting your rational side cockblock your passione, effectively resigning yourself to the fact that you were in fact never cool enough to pull it off anyway?
If no, lots.

Sighs..

I’ll ... I’ll keep looking at DR650’s and Goldwings. :smith:

mulligan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 1, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

In your backwards country maybe, but I don't think a single European-spec >125cc road-legal bike has had carbs since Euro3 came into force (2006).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least in this backwards colony the only carb bikes left after the models that have been around for ages and are allowed to have them because they haven't had any substantial updates - so the tu250x is efi, but the gn250 still has a carb.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

mulligan posted:

Sighs..

Just think of all those extra moving parts in those additional cylinders that could one day Guzzi themselves.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

mulligan posted:

Sighs..

We like to get pedantic about goodbieks(tm) here, but you certainly don't have to consider only the good safe buys.

Someone here has a bike that won't start at the freezing point of water. Someone else has visiting rights to a Royal Enfield sometimes. I'm sure there is even someone here with a 1290SAR (but I don't know who because they never post about it).

Point is, get whatever insanely crazy motorcycle that stirs your fancy. Ergos can be fixed, and if you end up hating it you can just sell it down the line for a loss.

I loathed my monster 620ie/klr250/690smc/Grom, but I'm glad I took the chance on them.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

We like to get pedantic about goodbieks(tm) here, but you certainly don't have to consider only the good safe buys.

Someone here has a bike that won't start at the freezing point of water. Someone else has visiting rights to a Royal Enfield sometimes. I'm sure there is even someone here with a 1290SAR (but I don't know who because they never post about it).

Point is, get whatever insanely crazy motorcycle that stirs your fancy. Ergos can be fixed, and if you end up hating it you can just sell it down the line for a loss.

I loathed my monster 620ie/klr250/690smc/Grom, but I'm glad I took the chance on them.

:henget:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

This. Find what stirs your fancy and select the problems you can live with.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Someone here has a bike that won't start at the freezing point of water.

Lol I sold the (as it turns out appropriately-named) Shiver almost 5 years ago and they'd patched out that issue the year before, update your goonbieks.xlsx at some point.

e: I replaced it with a Ducati so it's not like I'm cured or anything.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

I remember you repeatedly posting how the 690 and grom were the best bike ever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

High Protein posted:

The heart wants what the heart wants. Briefly.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

I have emerged from these experiences a wiser and more discerning man.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hawk GT is still the best bike ever, idk why everyone keeps arguing about second place

They could just dust off the tooling from 1988 and make the exact same bike with the following changes

- fuel injection
- ABS
- modern suspension
- 10mm wider wheels
- LED lighting

and it would be the perfect motorcycle even today.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Hawk GT is still the best bike ever, idk why everyone keeps arguing about second place

They could just dust off the tooling from 1988 and make the exact same bike with the following changes

- ABS
- modern suspension
- 10mm wider wheels
- LED lighting
- electric

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

- fuel injection
- ABS
- modern suspension
- 10mm wider wheels
- LED lighting

Spoke wheels and I'm there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

- fuel injection
- ABS
- modern suspension
- 10mm wider wheels
- LED lighting

It doesn't need modern suspension, it's got suspension identical to a brand new SV650 or ER6.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spoke wheels and I'm there.

mmm nah. tubes suck and the 80s fidget spinner wheels are rad. you can always steal some wheels from a bonneville or something if you want.

Slavvy posted:

It doesn't need modern suspension, it's got suspension identical to a brand new SV650 or ER6.

i mean that is true but man what a difference after I put in a decent rear shock and especially cartridge emulators. whole new bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah my buddy had a CBR front end on his hawk that also had a supertrapp on it and it was fantastic

also tubless spoked rims are the best thing