Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
LARS says HELLO HAPPY THREAD

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
HELLO LARS

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

That's a dapper bow-tie.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Folks...taxes are good:

quote:

Paul Allen's Estate Taxes Are Probably Responsible for Washington's $300 Million Budget Windfall

Confidentiality laws protecting taxpayer information from the public prevent the Department of Revenue from confirming that for certain, but, as Protocol (I think) first reported, last week the ERFC revealed a $310 million dollar bump in the Education Legacy Trust Account (ELTA) "mainly due to higher-than-forecasted estate tax receipts."
Though I haven't really thoroughly scanned the obits, I don't recall hearing of any other billionaire dying in Washington in the fall of 2018, so it's fairly safe to bet that Allen was responsible for the 57 percent increase in the forecast for estate-tax revenues this spring.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...budget-windfall

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

HELLO LARS, YOU ARE A WONDERFUL BOY

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Also, hello Lars, you are very stylish.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AnimalChin posted:

LARS says HELLO HAPPY THREAD

thats lars

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

This guy came to my school and talked about his decision and why he did it and how it worked out. He didn't lie and said it wasn't all upside, which I appreciated. He seemed very cool and I am glad that it worked out for him.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

pseudanonymous posted:

This guy came to my school and talked about his decision and why he did it and how it worked out. He didn't lie and said it wasn't all upside, which I appreciated. He seemed very cool and I am glad that it worked out for him.

Anywhere I can read about this? Knowing the downsides specifically would be fun

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Anywhere I can read about this? Knowing the downsides specifically would be fun

Well, he talked about, for example, some key personnel left, because they felt they were no longer being adequately valued. Basically people making like 70-95k (guesstimate) who felt frustrated that, essentially, their education or skills were simply devalued because in essence, while they had masters degrees or years of experience, newly hired secretaries with associate degress were paid the same amount. The other thing was his brother sued him, as a minority shareholder, for not properly managing resources etc.. though I think it essentially got dismissed because the net effect was hugely positive for the business. He also mentioned that while it worked out really well for him, it wouldnt necessarily work out well if everyone did it, because a lot of the ancillary benefits were that he got a huge amount of press from it and it made recruiting amazing talent almost trivially easy.

I'm not aware of any write up of the event or anything, it was part of the Albers School of Economics Executive Speaker series.

https://www.seattleu.edu/business/news-events/speaker-series/past-speakers/

I don't think there was like a transcript made or a video taken, unfortunately.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Well, he talked about, for example, some key personnel left, because they felt they were no longer being adequately valued. Basically people making like 70-95k (guesstimate) who felt frustrated that, essentially, their education or skills were simply devalued because in essence, while they had masters degrees or years of experience, newly hired secretaries with associate degress were paid the same amount. The other thing was his brother sued him, as a minority shareholder, for not properly managing resources etc.. though I think it essentially got dismissed because the net effect was hugely positive for the business. He also mentioned that while it worked out really well for him, it wouldnt necessarily work out well if everyone did it, because a lot of the ancillary benefits were that he got a huge amount of press from it and it made recruiting amazing talent almost trivially easy.

I'm not aware of any write up of the event or anything, it was part of the Albers School of Economics Executive Speaker series.

https://www.seattleu.edu/business/news-events/speaker-series/past-speakers/

I don't think there was like a transcript made or a video taken, unfortunately.

Big thanks, very illuminating :3:

So, basically one of the biggest upsides was connected to being unique (= getting attention -> all-competent new hires coming in, in a way also compensating for loss of the disgruntled seniors that left)

Biggest downside (semingly solely) being competent senior staff being so upset for their loss of social status that they left (+ if they didn't leave but were still upset, they might still be upset and have that affecting the work environment etc)

The unique thing can't be replicated while the downside is a one-time event during the transition. Left, then, is the upsides.

I'd say, overall it would seem to let people there forget about money. They all have an abundance, and they all have the exact same abundance - so it stops being a thing to think about. Out of the equation for whatever equation you're doing.
A nice thing to have - if you can achieve that resource abundance, have everyone satisfied enough with that abundance presented, and not have anyone do harm on anyone else's access to this abundance.

This is a post-scarcity society experiment isn't it

ThisIsJohnWayne has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Feb 29, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Big thanks, very illuminating :3:

So, basically one of the biggest upsides was connected to being unique (= getting attention -> all-competent new hires coming in, in a way also compensating for loss of the disgruntled seniors that left)

Biggest downside (semingly solely) being competent senior staff being so upset for their loss of social status that they left (+ if they didn't leave but were still upset, they might still be upset and have that affecting the work environment etc)

The unique thing can't be replicated while the downside is a one-time event during the transition. Left, then, is the upsides.

I'd say, overall it would seem to let people there forget about money. They all have an abundance, and they all have the exact same abundance - so it stops being a thing to think about. Out of the equation for whatever equation you're doing.
A nice thing to have - if you can achieve that resource abundance, have everyone satisfied enough with that abundance presented, and not have anyone do harm on anyone else's access to this abundance.

This is a post-scarcity society experiment isn't it

I mean he said a big upside was people were happier and did better work. And he felt good about himself and his business.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean he said a big upside was people were happier and did better work. And he felt good about himself and his business.

Well yea. I assumed as much

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They all have an abundance, and they all have the exact same abundance

I don’t think this is the case. he didn’t make everyone’s salary $70K, he made that the minimum.

I wonder where the people who were making $80K and quit went, and how much they got paid at the new place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nice, but he's still a CEO so... death by carbon monoxide poisoning instead of guillotine.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A genuine class traitor among the rich building solidarity with workers. You love to see it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Nice, but he's still a CEO so... death by carbon monoxide poisoning instead of guillotine.

I would allow him rehabilitation through labor.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Some key personnel left, because they felt they were no longer being adequately valued. Basically people making like 70-95k (guesstimate) who felt frustrated that, essentially, their education or skills were simply devalued because in essence, while they had masters degrees or years of experience, newly hired secretaries with associate degress were paid the same amount.

Imagine being such a petty classist snob that, upon seeing someone else lifted up by an incredible windfall that does not affect your pay rate or value in any way, you get upset and make it about yourself because you no longer get to feel as superior. So upset that you leave the company. I think filtering out people with those attitudes is another mark in the pro column, not a con.

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Feb 29, 2020

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Whoops, somehow my phone quoted myself in a new post instead of editing the last one.

Enjoy this wholesome dog content instead: https://vm.tiktok.com/g1nxPu/

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Feb 29, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fair enough.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

Imagine being such a petty classist snob that, upon seeing someone else lifted up by an incredible windfall that does not affect your pay rate or value in any way, you get upset and make it about yourself because you no longer get to feel as superior. So upset that you leave the company. I think filtering out people with those attitudes is another mark in the pro column, not a con.

That really was the real reason they quit. They didn't believe the people below them were worthy of a decent life because they didn't have the qualifications and experience they did, and giving them a pay raise made them feel like they lost their status over them. They didn't lose anything by having other people be wealthier except their own sense of superiority.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zeroisanumber posted:

Same. He would be the example to the rest of the boug as to what COULD happen if they only give up their unspendable dragon's hoard of money.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Samovar posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

You two might want to step away from the screens for a little while because this is some proper Extremely Online poo poo, especially in the happy thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah I mean he literally willingly chose to not be a millionaire anymore and dragged all his employees up out of poverty, what more could you ask for?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He's definitely not the enemy. And it's the guys who left because they were no longer high earners compared to the plebs who actually suck more.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

StandardVC10 posted:

You two might want to step away from the screens for a little while because this is some proper Extremely Online poo poo, especially in the happy thread

:hmmyes:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Joe's really making the most of his new "comeback kid" status

https://twitter.com/kallllisti/status/1234144829816197121?s=20

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

PerilPastry posted:

We will see who is sleepy.....what the gently caress lmfao

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

PerilPastry posted:

he gave a pretty good speech yesterday (before he started rambling at least) but i guess whatever pulp fiction syringe stuff they pump him full of whenever he has to go on stage has a cool down period

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

That really was the real reason they quit. They didn't believe the people below them were worthy of a decent life because they didn't have the qualifications and experience they did, and giving them a pay raise made them feel like they lost their status over them. They didn't lose anything by having other people be wealthier except their own sense of superiority.
I'm watching a union attempt to ratify a contract right now and even though everyone agrees it's a good contract and will be ratified; the few gripes they voice inevitably end with, "...and they're giving it to them, too!" It's jarring to see it in the wild because I ride a shuttle bus twice a day and it's constant.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1234255430936940550

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

I was mostly joking, but you're right when you say that it doesn't belong in the happy thread.

I'll do some cat pennance with another picture of Hamilton.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/realpunknews/status/1234259646631882752?s=21

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Cats!

Janis

Oscar

Fatass aka Nuisance

they are all big stupid babies, Janis is cross-eyed and turbo-sensitive to touch, Oscar likes to eat hair, and Nuisance hates everything and everyone but will regularly plant 15 pounds of cat on my lap and force me to pet her by biting me until I pay attention. I can't find Berry for a picture but she is a liquid and likes to knock things off counters

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
fatass is a good fuckin cat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
chonk

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

amy klobuchar tried to hold a rally just outside of minneapolis, i.e. her home turf, but ended up canceling it because black lives matter demonstrators shut that poo poo down

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/03/01/protesters-take-stage-at-site-of-klobuchar-campaign-rally

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

When I was a young bloke and working my first post-uni job for decent pay, the administrative staff got a big pay jump, which pissed off a lot of white collar wallies for exactly those reasons you pointed out. Personally, I was just stoked to not be living on $7k a year any more. Any pay made me feel like a king.

But a union official made the great point that, if the regular staff's pay increase put them near our pay scale as professional nerds, then when we mobilise for our pay increase we'll be on much firmer footing to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I really needed this
https://twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1234594424950157312?s=20