Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Urine therapy is the future of TCM, I bet rhino urine works just as well, it's probably cheaper, and rhinos probably dont mind too much.

It's a thing, I saw a youtube video about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kharnifex posted:

The Chinese government just has a big wheel they spin, and whatever animal it lands on is a TCM product

10 years ago: "Uighurs!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrainDance posted:

Urine therapy is the future of TCM, I bet rhino urine works just as well, it's probably cheaper, and rhinos probably dont mind too much.

It's a thing, I saw a youtube video about it.

Too late. India has thousands of years of urine-drinking, and the unnamed China can only gargle in comparison.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

The 6% number was always for internal consumption.

If they're smart, they'll talk up how badly hit other countries are, contrast their own, uh, wise and enlightened response was, then use the cover of this virus as an exterior problem that they nevertheless handled 'as well as could be expected' to bring their stated economy figures back into line with reality.

Thus allowing for another X years of '6% growth' afterwards.

realtalk, aside from the awkward fact of the initial coverup, judging by how the rest of the world is responding so far, in a couple of weeks the CCP will legitimately be able to say to their people that they handled the outbreak better than anywhere else. don't know how the economy will work out but i can see this ending up enhancing their legitimacy just because of how badly everyone else is screwing up now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mozi posted:

realtalk, aside from the awkward fact of the initial coverup, judging by how the rest of the world is responding so far, in a couple of weeks the CCP will legitimately be able to say to their people that they handled the outbreak better than anywhere else. don't know how the economy will work out but i can see this ending up enhancing their legitimacy just because of how badly everyone else is screwing up now

pretty sure even fumbling and doing gently caress all is miles better than covering up the epidemic for two months, putting a bunch of random people in a hospital made of load-bearing drywall, and wondering why they all gave each other the coronavirus

the unnamed country can only vaccinate

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 29, 2020

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Mozi posted:

A lot depends on exactly what happens in the next 2-3 weeks, but yeah, agreement. Not because of the awesomeness of their response but because everyone else is somehow worse.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mozi posted:

lmfao, no.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The White Dragon posted:

pretty sure even fumbling and doing gently caress all is miles better than covering up the epidemic for two months, putting a bunch of random people in a hospital made of load-bearing drywall, and wondering why they all gave each other the coronavirus

the unnamed country can only vaccinate

Um, at least when those local officials were covering things up, it was still unclear how bad this was gonna be. The American president called this a hoax yesterday. We are fighting with Iran to have the worst response.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mozi posted:

realtalk, aside from the awkward fact of the initial coverup

other than that mrs lincoln, how was the play?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was a purposeful understatement for the purposes of humor but yes, it will be propagandized out of existence when the CCP can just point to every other country loving up

my feelings on them are well known so please don't call me a 'tankie' or some poo poo. bottom line is we should be doing better. i'm not saying i'm happy about this, it's just what i think will happen

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 29, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mozi posted:

it was a purposeful understatement for the purposes of humor but yes, it will be propagandized out of existence when the CCP can just point to every other country loving up

my feelings on them are well known so please don't call me a 'tankie' or some poo poo. bottom line is we should be doing better. i'm not saying i'm happy about this, it's just what i think will happen

sorry man you know how it is in this thread, you can't tell when someone is being sarcastic or straight with you when it comes to something that sounds like cheerleading the ccp

trump is a loud idiot, but whatever ororrhea he decides to feed into the jaws of the media machine is hardly law--which is really just a nice perk of our style of bureacracy. local officials from the top of the state to the bottom of the county will probably end up doing the best they can with what resources they have because american style corruption benefits from incumbency. responding well to a public health crisis specifically is great for your numbers. responding poorly is just about the best way to lose your voter base overnight. and so close to elections no less.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

it's going to be real bad in america with people taking Lyft to 2-3 clinics before they get an ($800) diagnosis

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

3200$ diagnosis.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
So many americans are going to die because like gently caress anyone but the ultra rich are going to waste money on a hospital.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

The White Dragon posted:

sorry man you know how it is in this thread, you can't tell when someone is being sarcastic or straight with you when it comes to something that sounds like cheerleading the ccp

trump is a loud idiot, but whatever ororrhea he decides to feed into the jaws of the media machine is hardly law--which is really just a nice perk of our style of bureacracy. local officials from the top of the state to the bottom of the county will probably end up doing the best they can with what resources they have because american style corruption benefits from incumbency. responding well to a public health crisis specifically is great for your numbers. responding poorly is just about the best way to lose your voter base overnight. and so close to elections no less.

I think I may disagree with you here (while not agreeing with the other guy) on the Trump thing. The danger of trump, politics aside, is that I don't think people realized how much power the president has in making these personal appointments to govt agencies. Most if the time for those smaller yet still important departments incoming presidents don't change anything and all the basic functionaries who actually do the work stay in place. That's most obvious now when you look at some people resigning or being forced out who have a history all the way back through bush jr or clinton. With trump that's changed, and I think the issues won't be noticable until we hit a real crisis.

The problem isn't trump himself or whatever politics he believes in or laws he wants to pass, it's the people around him.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

threelemmings posted:

The problem isn't trump himself or whatever politics he believes in or laws he wants to pass, it's the people around him.

You mean the American population?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Well, not for long with the current public health approach.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Jokes aside, legitimately no. It doesn't get touched on in the media a lot, but there's a scary amount of loss going on in critical positions that just don't have any media attention because they're not public facing. Much of America's continuity of government goes on behind the scenes with these people that are doing their jobs but aren't directors. Trump's appointees are either firing these people and replacing them or making their office a miserable hellscape and people are quitting. The brain drain is real and is going to hurt the US for years.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

threelemmings posted:

Jokes aside, legitimately no. It doesn't get touched on in the media a lot, but there's a scary amount of loss going on in critical positions that just don't have any media attention because they're not public facing. Much of America's continuity of government goes on behind the scenes with these people that are doing their jobs but aren't directors. Trump's appointees are either firing these people and replacing them or making their office a miserable hellscape and people are quitting. The brain drain is real and is going to hurt the US for years.
Every president does this. Trump is no different.

It is most apparent with the effect on the courts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Donald_Trump

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mozi posted:

The WHO is already stroking the CCP off with this line.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
At this point the WHO is basically an arm of the CCP.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I have to wonder how that happened / what they think they're getting in return.

I mean it's not like they've always been untouched by influence before, but I'm curious about the specific mechanics at play here.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you don't play ball with the ccp they stop cooperating and kick you out of their country

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You're going to laugh at me for being such a nerd, but China just blocked the Archive of Our Own, usually called AO3, the biggest fanfiction archive in the world. AO3 is an enormous part of women's (mostly) culture in China. AO3 isn't just where you read and write fic, it's where you communicate with writers and sometimes make new friends.
https://twitter.com/Muge_Niu/status/1233762832556154880

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The speed and forcefulness with which metoo got shut down tells you all you need to know about this sort of issue. Sad, but surprising it lasted this long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's really sad. One of the very few positive developments in China under the Party was a genuine and significant improvement in women's rights. After living in Korea for years it struck me right away how much more women in China are allowed to participate in society. The way things have been regressing over the past couple of decades sucks.

I guess that's general ccp.txt at this point though. It's not like it was ever great but there was a period where genuine reform and opening happened. Well, two actually, the real big one in the 80s and then the somewhat loose period from the late 90s to 2008. Long dead now.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 29, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

It's really sad. One of the very few positive developments in China under the Party was a genuine and significant improvement in women's rights. After living in Korea for years it struck me right away how much more women in China are allowed to participate in society. The way things have been regressing over the past couple of decades sucks.

I guess that's general ccp.txt at this point though. It's not like it was ever great but there was a period where genuine reform and opening happened. Well, two actually, the real big one in the 80s and then the somewhat loose period from the late 90s to 2008. Long dead now.

<You have been banned from r/sino>

Moderator Note: "Women currently enjoy greater freedoms and opportunities under the CCP than anywhere else in. . ."

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Every president does this. Trump is no different.

It is most apparent with the effect on the courts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Donald_Trump

Again, not talking appointees:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-federal-workers-relocation_n_5d166993e4b07f6ca57d12c8

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2018/03/federal-employee-turnover-increases-in-trump-administrations-first-year/

There is definitely shuffle and it's normal for new presidents to put their people in charge, but that's not what I'm getting at. There's a lot of positions normally untouched where folks were asked to resign, and the rank and file are being frozen out through lack of hiring and no raises.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

threelemmings posted:

Again, not talking appointees:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-federal-workers-relocation_n_5d166993e4b07f6ca57d12c8

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2018/03/federal-employee-turnover-increases-in-trump-administrations-first-year/

There is definitely shuffle and it's normal for new presidents to put their people in charge, but that's not what I'm getting at. There's a lot of positions normally untouched where folks were asked to resign, and the rank and file are being frozen out through lack of hiring and no raises.

I know what you are talking about, but this is how government works on nearly all levels and under every administration. You just don't notice it and/or care when your guy is the one doing it. Hell, I just read a book about how La Guardia pushed out Tammany patronage civil servants by relocating their jobs to Staten Island and the Northern Bronx. The military does this poo poo all the time with undesirables.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I mean if your closest example is a corruption and bribery racket than yeah I guess I agree with you these are similar.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Michael Lewis wrote an article and also a book, The Fifth Risk, about how all these career federal scientists and such were either pushed out or left because they got sick of how hostile and incompetent the new leadership was. The scope of this is a step above what normally happens during administration transitions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe talk about US politics outside the China thread?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Grand Fromage posted:

It was shocking to see how quickly China flipped on pursuing gender equality after 2008. It went from "holding up half the sky" to the CCP chastising women staying unmarried for too long in the span of a few years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

As women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time they get their M.A. or Pd.D., they are already old, like yellowed pearls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The weird thing about this is that there are named pearls hundreds of years old that are still treasured. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Pelegrina_pearl

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Please watch this great little doco,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp31kQiBrgc

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-hasn-t-had-any-new-coronavirus-cases-why-is-that-1.5479374
The multiple interlocking tiles of hurt feelings and double standards in this bit was just :psyduck:

quote:

The Chinese embassy in Moscow has expressed its displeasure with these measures, writing directly to the Kremlin, saying, "the special monitoring of Chinese nationals on Moscow's public transportation does not exist in any [other] country, even in the United States and in Western states."
Yeah arbitrary detention of minorities and political targets sure sucks, doesn't it? I also find it funny that they complained about the West / USA almost reflexively. It's like every statement out of their diplomatic corps requires it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The wall street journal had an article today about the ongoing backlash against china by EU member states, and it ends up listing all the recent hissy-fits that the Chinese government has had there.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Pharohman777 posted:

The wall street journal had an article today about the ongoing backlash against china by EU member states, and it ends up listing all the recent hissy-fits that the Chinese government has had there.

Got a link? Can't seem to find it on the front page or in the most recent articles in the Euro section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CIGNX posted:

Got a link? Can't seem to find it on the front page or in the most recent articles in the Euro section.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europes-face-off-with-china-11582905438

Here.

Its not all the incidents, but it lists so many from the past few years as well as the tit-for-tat retaliations by european governments done solely thumb their noses at china for trying to threaten them or tell them what to do.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 1, 2020