Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arcade version of My Dinner With Andre for my money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

He plays her a long video of Jim Parsons explaining what cryptocurrency is.
Who?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I swear every other word in that episode was "ELONMUSK" I will never scrub Lisa exclaiming it out of my brain

why does that poo poo head pay to be in every single cartoon?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

My first "holy poo poo, the Simpsons predicted this" moment was after watching S01E06, "Moaning Lisa." In the B-plot video game, Bart does a finishing move that knocks off the other player's head. In early 1990, we found that joke hilarious and absurd.

Then, two years later, Mortal Kombat was released.

The satire on the Simpsons used to be so cutting-edge it was predictive.

I always thought that was just a copy of an Amiga game called Moonstone.
Here is the gif:

Don't remember the exact Bart scene though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
you thought that the simpsons were referencing the famous amiga game Moonstone?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I forget exactly what it was, but at some point Jim Parsons says something like "Soon, cryptocurrency will replace all money. Cha-chinga!" Or cashzinga or something like that.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If this were real I'm almost certain I would have gotten it at some point, I had PGA Tour Golf for DOS and I would've loved the ability to hit the ball into a parking lot.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PinheadSlim posted:

If this were real I'm almost certain I would have gotten it at some point, I had PGA Tour Golf for DOS and I would've loved the ability to hit the ball into a parking lot.

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf for the NES? I always thought that was the reference anyway

I might be biased because I had that as a kid idk

e. No power drives into parking lots sadly, but if you go out of bounds your golfer angrily stomps so there is that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I forget exactly what it was, but at some point Jim Parsons says something like "Soon, cryptocurrency will replace all money. Cha-chinga!" Or cashzinga or something like that.

And who the gently caress is Jim Parsons?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

And who the gently caress is Jim Parsons?

The guy from the Big Bang Theory.

Young Sheldon but old

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oh

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lol

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Code Jockey posted:

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf for the NES? I always thought that was the reference anyway

I might be biased because I had that as a kid idk

e. No power drives into parking lots sadly, but if you go out of bounds your golfer angrily stomps so there is that

That has to be it, the over the top title/cover plus the fact that it's on a cartridge solidifies it.

Unrelated but the Japanese release gave anime personas to the little pixel golfers lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PinheadSlim posted:

That has to be it, the over the top title/cover plus the fact that it's on a cartridge solidifies it.

Unrelated but the Japanese release gave anime personas to the little pixel golfers lol

haha oh my god I didn't know this, those are great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They actually show that game earlier in the episode on the discount rack.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a pretty funny gag even if you have no idea it's a parody of an actual game.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a pretty funny gag even if you have no idea it's a parody of an actual game.

that's another hallmark of the earlier shows... the headline "Dick Cavett Born!" with a picture of Dick Cavett as an older adult is funny even if you don't know who Dick Cavett is (which I didn't at the time).

that's a really dumb example, but a lot of the early-season spoof stuff works even if you don't know reference.

the joke isn't in the corner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

"There are people who'll get this obscure reference and people who won't, so we need to make this funny to both of them" is a comedic philosophy so very few writers understand, but it works so well when they do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1233260590954622977

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Why do I read this cursed thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last Maggie pre-movie short was well-received IIRC, although I couldn't tell you anything I remember from it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

god who cares

this is not directed at you postnouveau

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Code Jockey posted:

god who cares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCuhh1tlJo0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Code Jockey posted:

this is not directed at you postnouveau

no, you know what? let him have it. Who fricking cares

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Someone needs to take the fall for exposing us to that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MiqPQ1dVg4

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Empty Sandwich posted:

that's another hallmark of the earlier shows... the headline "Dick Cavett Born!" with a picture of Dick Cavett as an older adult is funny even if you don't know who Dick Cavett is (which I didn't at the time).

that's a really dumb example, but a lot of the early-season spoof stuff works even if you don't know reference.

the joke isn't in the corner.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wow, you're Tony Randall!

(I just watched this episode Thursday night. I was a fool that bought the DVDs up to season 12.)

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It'd be interesting to hear what the commentaries have to say about the seasons where it starts to plummet. Apparently Matt Groening claimed to have never seen the jockey elves episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one opens on the entire town watching "Vindicators: Crystal War Part 1" (Marble Cinematic Universe) and everyone is bummed the gently caress out that all the heroes get turned into crystal and die at the end, and they have to wait a year for the conclusion.

Flashes forward a year, and Bart injures Milhouse imitating a YouTube stunt. He's waiting around in Milhouse's room while Milhouse gets treatment, and one of the stars shows up (drunk) for a visit to cheer up the kids. The guy gets blackout drunk, tells Bart he's got a laptop with the sequel on it in his bag, and passes out. Bart watches it and realizes he has leverage over everyone because he knows the ending before everyone else.

Bart starts making people do poo poo for him on threat of spoiling it (He makes Skinner hand over his wig).

Bart demands the town build him an ultimate treehouse.

Milhouse confronts him, and he's about to spoil the ending for Milhouse, when :siren: poo poo goes off the rails here listen up :siren: one of the Vindicators shows up and throws Bart through a portal into the Marble Cinematic Dimension. The assembled superheroes explain that all the poo poo he sees in the movies actually happens. Bart spoiling part of the movie for Comic Book Guy led to the villains in their dimension getting advance warning of what was going to happen, allowing them to kill one of the heroes. It's revealed at this point that Bart wasn't thrown into a portal, he was thrown into a bag of glow sticks, and the Marble people have him in a VR suit to teach him a lesson and prevent him from spoiling the movie.

Bart is captured by the bad guy but uses his slingshot to destroy the guy's all-powerful mobile phone.

One of the Vindicators is named Black Voodoo which seems kinda racist. Also Moe is dating Lunchlady Doris.

Guest voices: The Russo Brothers, Kevin Fiege, Cobie Smulders, and Taran Killam

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

shut the gently caress up, this didn't happen, none of this is real. ahhhhhhhh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They really did miss the opportunity to use Radioactive Man.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Referencing Skinner's wig was always considered too hacky a joke, but I guess here we are!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"There are people who'll get this obscure reference and people who won't, so we need to make this funny to both of them" is a comedic philosophy so very few writers understand, but it works so well when they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0lSI3jLxX8

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Family Guy does a better job at being The Simpsons than The Simpsons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Junk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0lSI3jLxX8

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Family Guy does a better job at being The Simpsons than The Simpsons.

Family Guy seems best watched in out of context YouTube clips.

American Dad seems to hold together better as a whole, though. Kinda funny that they realised with Roger a character who can be and do literally anyone and anything is absolutely perfect for an animated sitcom.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Family Guy seems best watched in out of context YouTube clips.

American Dad seems to hold together better as a whole, though. Kinda funny that they realised with Roger a character who can be and do literally anyone and anything is absolutely perfect for an animated sitcom.

well i have good news, family guy episodes are mostly compilations of out of context youtube clips of family guy

this one reminded me a lot of that simpsons gag where bart get his bicycle run over by a street sweeper in how it keeps getting more and more absurd until the original premise is buried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okwanoAL7k

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Marble.

The Marble Cinematic Universe.

Just ... gently caress.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think I understand every type of political and religious extremist better than I understand people who still watch the Simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Der Shovel posted:

Marble.

The Marble Cinematic Universe.

Just ... poo poo.