Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I found a store today that has NIB stuff from 5-10 years ago. Among other things they have 3x fortress of redemptions, 2x vengeance weapon batteries. Everything is MSRP. Now I just need a wallet infusion! They have a pile of loving WHFB stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Howdy. Anyone know a source (third party or otherwise) for models that can be used as armorium cherubs?

I have a twenty year old sisters army I've never bothered to paint or even play with but a buddy gave me a copy of the new codex yesterday and I might finally bust them out and make them presentable. But the retributor's ammo cherubs didn't exist back when I bought all this.

I could probably scab together some old models to represent poor little slaves/serfs schlepping around heavy boxes but I'd rather the creepy baby's because they're cool. I'm not going to buy new box sets just for a couple cherubs.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

More stupid fluff/lore pondering that the creators likely never had the time or the sperg-factor to consider.

So, Lucius the Eternal is so named that if anyone kills him in combat and feels 'even the slightest amount of satisfaction about it', they'll be turned into Lucius. And this Warp curse nonsense is so strong that it even kicked in when he died from stepping on a landmine (must have been one hell of a big landmine, invincible/paper viewpoints aside): the guy who built the landmine turned into Lucius.

So what happens if a Necron kills him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jassi007 posted:

I found a store today that has NIB stuff from 5-10 years ago. Among other things they have 3x fortress of redemptions, 2x vengeance weapon batteries. Everything is MSRP. Now I just need a wallet infusion! They have a pile of loving WHFB stuff too.

There are so many kits that I wish I had the money for back when they were new. Earlier today I was thinking about how much I wanted Planetary Empires

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
My current army list anything I should change or adjust? I'm a returning player after stopping during 3rd Edition. Last time I played it was as Space Wolves but wanted something different this time around.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [58 PL, 1,039pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 165pts]: Death Hex, Fatal Sonancy, Infernal Gaze, Malefic talon, Warlord, Wings
. Slaanesh

Sorcerer [6 PL, 88pts]: Bolt pistol, Force stave, Gift of Chaos, Mark of Slaanesh, Warptime

Warpsmith [4 PL, 65pts]: Flamer, Mark of Slaanesh, Meltagun, Plasma pistol, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [4 PL, 72pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion: Chainaxe, Plasma pistol
. 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ Heavy or Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Noise Marines [6 PL, 108pts]: Icon of Excess
. Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
. 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
. Noise Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword

Noise Marines [6 PL, 113pts]: Icon of Excess
. Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
. 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
. Noise Champion: Chainaxe, Doom siren, Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Warp Talons [6 PL, 95pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. 4x Warp Talon: 4x Lightning Claw (pair)
. Warp Talon Champion: Lightning Claw (pair)

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator [9 PL, 177pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Predator autocannon
. Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 75pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-flamer, Mark of Slaanesh

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 81pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-flamer, Havoc launcher, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Total: [58 PL, 1,039pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Was expecting Lawnmower Man.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rando posted:

Howdy. Anyone know a source (third party or otherwise) for models that can be used as armorium cherubs?

I have a twenty year old sisters army I've never bothered to paint or even play with but a buddy gave me a copy of the new codex yesterday and I might finally bust them out and make them presentable. But the retributor's ammo cherubs didn't exist back when I bought all this.

I could probably scab together some old models to represent poor little slaves/serfs schlepping around heavy boxes but I'd rather the creepy baby's because they're cool. I'm not going to buy new box sets just for a couple cherubs.

Space Marine devastator kits have an armorium cherub in them, and most SM players don't ever use them. See if you can find them on bits sites or from local players.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Floppychop posted:

Space Marine devastator kits have an armorium cherub in them, and most SM players don't ever use them. See if you can find them on bits sites or from local players.

I didn't know people didn't use them so it didn't occur to me to check something like a bits dealer. Thanks. Learning that makes me question wanting some but they'll still look cool with the rest of the minis on a shelf.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rando posted:

I just use a Guardsman carrying ammo. Call him a Chapter Serf (see Brothers of the Snake) and go from there. It's not like he ever lasts longer than turn one anyhow. You could probably represent it with a box of ammo on one guy's base. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 29, 2020

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Once they run out of space marine niches for primaris marines to take over they can try branching out into new ones like the SWARM and MONSTER keywords

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rando posted:

I didn't know people didn't use them so it didn't occur to me to check something like a bits dealer. Thanks. Learning that makes me question wanting some but they'll still look cool with the rest of the minis on a shelf.

With stuff like the stratagem to boost Multi Melta range and damage they have a use with Sisters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Valerian and Aleya set is up for preorder on the GW webstore, which more or less confirms it's a permanent one. The combo deal with the book isn't too bad either.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Cornwind Evil posted:

More stupid fluff/lore pondering that the creators likely never had the time or the sperg-factor to consider.

So, Lucius the Eternal is so named that if anyone kills him in combat and feels 'even the slightest amount of satisfaction about it', they'll be turned into Lucius. And this Warp curse nonsense is so strong that it even kicked in when he died from stepping on a landmine (must have been one hell of a big landmine, invincible/paper viewpoints aside): the guy who built the landmine turned into Lucius.

There was literally a bit of gw fluff where a necron (can't remember if it was like a lord or a lychguard or something) killed him and felt the faintest tinge of cold pride, which triggered Lucius to explode from inside it.

It was dumb

haakman
May 5, 2011

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

My current army list anything I should change or adjust?

Hey - I mainly play EC, I've done quite well using some of the below. EC rely on some stupidly good wombo combos to knock out key units and then mop up the rest afterwards. They can energise well with Slaaneshi Daemons - especially the Contorted Epitome. They also go well with a minimum Red Corsair detachment because they absolutely gobble up CP.

1) Dark Apostle. Give him the Remnant of the Maraviglia. Pop it and shoot noise marines (with a Lord, excruciating frequencies, votlw and endless cacophony - a max unit is firing 120 s5 d2 shots, rerolling 1's to hit and all wounds (they wound anything t8 on 4's). They will kill anything in the game with a 3+ save. Last tournament they killed a castellan and a Lord of skulls in one round of shootingdoubles tournament).

2) Noise Marines. As above.

3) Terminators. Give them combi plasmas and chain axes. Use combat elixirs to give them t5. Cast delightful agonies to give them a 5+ fnp. Surprisingly tough. Drop in, shoot, endless cacophony to shoot again. 40 s8 ap-3 d2 shots. Have a lord nearby for rerolls. Bonus if you drop in near the dark apostle to reroll wounds. Then charge, using honor the prince to almost guarantee.

4) Warp Talons and Smash Lord- you don't want to eat overwatch? Give your Lord the Armour of Abhorrence and the Host Raptorial trait. Drop in. Charge talons against everything. Then Lord. (both needing 7" charges) then you can smash your termies in using honor the prince.

There's loads more but I find the above is a good core to my lists.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Thanks I'll adjust my army accordingly. Just need more Terminators and a Dark Apostle it seems.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cornwind Evil posted:

Why was it the guy who built the landmine, and not the guy who placed or the guy who ordered the landmine built? If Lucius goes down in a hail of gunfire, would the guy who made the bullets or the guns be on the chopping block? What if Lucius gets strangled with barehands, is the mom of whomever strangled them an option?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MinistryofLard posted:

There was literally a bit of gw fluff where a necron (can't remember if it was like a lord or a lychguard or something) killed him and felt the faintest tinge of cold pride, which triggered Lucius to explode from inside it.

It was dumb

That must be one confused as gently caress Necron face on dude's armor, then. :rolleyes:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Who cares.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I'm going to play my first 40k game tonight, pushed up from tomorrow so I'm now asking for help since I have half as much time as I thought to finalize my list: we're doing 500pt patrol detachments, Named characters and >166pt models banned which aren't an issue, as I'm on Orks. I have access to the following:
HQ - Weirdboyz, Big Mek SAGs, 1 Warboss, 1 Warboss on biek
Troops - plenty of boyz (30ish assembled, another box unopened), mostly with Slugga/Choppa, and about 20 grots (10 more unassembled)
I also have a mob of 10 stormboyz (no boss nob), 7 (3 to build) Kommandos and a Boss nob, and 1 mek gun with 2 more unopened, none of the grot crew assembled

Edit: I also have 4 unassembled Nobz, a team of sub-assemnled flash gitz and 4 each Loota and Burnas

I was initially thinking of taking 2 Weirdboyz, the stormboyz mob and as many boyz w/ Slugga and Choppa as I can muster, but I also was planning to use this evening for more build/plan time, but now I'm feeling very pressed for time.

With about 6 hours to go, and no painting requirements, where should my focus be? Are smasha cannons worth the time investment to put 2 more together?

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 29, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

Why was it the guy who built the landmine, and not the guy who placed or the guy who ordered the landmine built? If Lucius goes down in a hail of gunfire, would the guy who made the bullets or the guns be on the chopping block? What if Lucius gets strangled with barehands, is the mom of whomever strangled them an option?

What if he's eaten by a Tyranid? Does the Hivemind turn into a giant Lucius?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I'm going to play my first 40k game tonight, pushed up from tomorrow so I'm now asking for help since I have half as much time as I thought to finalize my list: we're doing 500pt patrol detachments, Named characters and >166pt models banned which aren't an issue, as I'm on Orks. I have access to the following:
Troops - plenty of boyz (30ish assembled, another box unopened), mostly with Slugga/Choppa, and about 20 grots (10 more unassembled)
I also have a mob of 10 stormboyz (no boss nob), 7 (3 to build) Kommandos and a Boss nob, and 1 mek gun with 2 more unopened, none of the grot crew assembled

Edit: I also have 4 unassembled Nobz, a team of sub-assemnled flash gitz and 4 each Loota and Burnas

I was initially thinking of taking 2 Weirdboyz, the stormboyz mob and as many boyz w/ Slugga and Choppa as I can muster, but I also was planning to use this evening for more build/plan time, but now I'm feeling very pressed for time.

With about 6 hours to go, and no painting requirements, where should my focus be? Are smasha cannons worth the time investment to put 2 more together?

Who are you playing (if you know) and are you forced into a patrol detachment? You have the units there for a good battalion there. I just got done playing a few 500 points games (against Nids and Necrons) and would recommend doing an Evil Sunz army with:

-Weirdboy with Da Jump
-Warboss on Bike
-2 units of as many boyz as you can (doesn't matter what, you're going to merge them)
-1 unit of grots to fill out the points

Move the warboss as close to the enemy as possible (remember - he can advance and charge), use Mob Up to combine the boyz, da jump them into 6" of the warboss, charge the nearest unit, krump your way through the enemy. You should be able to control the board with sheer numbers of units.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

It’s fun to talk about warhammer fluff sometimes :)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

It's cool to care sometimes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

No one. It's just fun to talk about. No one is losing sleep about how goofy as gently caress Lucius the Eternal is.
But if you can't enjoy poking fun at the weird rear end poo poo that goes on in 40k, why are you even here? Would you rather we re-start the Iron Hands salt? We can do that, if you prefer. :shrug:

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Well, I'm an Imperial player not an Ork one, but you're on the clock, and I've fought against Orks in 8e so I can give some basic help. 166 points will let Marines bring Dreadnoughts (excluding the bullshit Forge World ones for the most part) and Guard bring Leman Russ battle tanks. If you don't have a way to preferably kill them but at least weaken them at range, your Boyz are going to have a hell of a time making it across the board, even with Da Jump, since there will probably be a screen of disposable Scouts/Guardsmen between you and the heavy stuff.

So yeah, I'd get some kind of ranged anti-tank, though I'll admit I've never seen a Smasha Gun in play. I've gotten a lot of wounds burned off my vehicles (and even Knights!) by Zzzap Cannons, though. You should also make sure you've got a lot of Power Klaws mixed in, so that you aren't trying to use Choppas to beat up a Dread, which will take forever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Z the IVth posted:

What if he's eaten by a Tyranid? Does the Hivemind turn into a giant Lucius?

Getting eaten by tyranids would work since they don't have emotions as such.

I don't think his thing would work on Orks, who would enjoy the actual fight but feel only disappointment when it's over.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BIN-BITS-TAU-HAMMERHEAD-GUNSHIP-MARKER-LIGHT-DRONES/352818739533

Are these different at all from the marker drones you'd find elsewhere, besides the lack of a flying base?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They say if you feel any salt after playing an Iron Hands list, you turn into Ferrus Manus himself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Bee posted:

They say if you feel any salt after playing an Iron Hands list, you turn into Ferrus Manus himself.

Is that Manus with or without head? Because becoming a cyborg demigod seems worth playing a lovely game of 40k...as long as you don't show up decapitated, which is a bit of a buzz kill.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
32.5£ for 5 banshees is actually insane. Jesus gently caress GW. I guess the blood of the phoenix box literally had the whole dork elf side for free.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you find yourself asking "who cares?" then you're probably the one that cares.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Getting eaten by tyranids would work since they don't have emotions as such.

I don't think his thing would work on Orks, who would enjoy the actual fight but feel only disappointment when it's over.

Satisfaction from a full belly might work. And Orks love fighting, I'm sure that they're satisfied with a good krumpin

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
For Orks, the trouble would be that the Ork what krumped him would get krumped by another Ork before the curse took effect.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

haakman posted:

4) Warp Talons and Smash Lord- you don't want to eat overwatch? Give your Lord the Armour of Abhorrence and the Host Raptorial trait. Drop in. Charge talons against everything. Then Lord. (both needing 7" charges) then you can smash your termies in using honor the prince.

There's loads more but I find the above is a good core to my lists.

Warp talons get Warpflame Strike so they don't take overwatch in the same turn they arrive on the table. You'd be better off giving the lord Intoxicating Elixer to bump him to S5so he can wound T4 on 3's.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

My current army list anything I should change or adjust? I'm a returning player after stopping during 3rd Edition. Last time I played it was as Space Wolves but wanted something different this time around.

Hey sparkle buddy! :sparkles::respek::sparkles:

As was mentioned, always take noise marines as troops and give them as many guns as you can. You can make them melee, but it's not worth it, you should also drop the icon from them as well since melee isn't their best situation.

Your DP is a lot squishier than it seems, so you'll want to make his attacks count. You can make him a ridiculous blender by changing a few things.

Give your sorcerer prescience and death hex, and give the DP Diabolic Strength. Put the DP in the aforementioned Host Raptorial detachment, but make it a Flawless Host legion and give him the warlord trait from it. Give him the Rapacious Talons.

Now, assuming prescience and diabolic strength go off, and you don't fail your demon weapon roll on a 1, you have a prince that's S9 at least 7 attacks (up to 11 depending on demon weapon roll) rerolling 1's and rerolling wounds.

Want more? Charge him or let him get charged and get another attack.
Still more? Hit him with a combat Elixer and make him S10.

By the way, remember that warlord trait you took? It stacks with death to the false emperor, which means on EVERY attack that's a 6+, you get 4 ADDITIONAL attacks. But wait, you succeeded in casting prescience, now those dice explode on a 5+. (This warlord trait is also good on Slamlords, not to mention the flawless host "death to the imperfect" affects everything in the detachment, which means 2 additional attacks on 6+ for everything else, i.e. warp talons and slam lord)

That Death Hex spell can be tough to get off, but it's great for shutting down storm shields which can make your DP fizzle.

Is this the most points/CP efficient? Nope. Is it fun as poo poo? Yep.

Oh and he can smite. And take a free warp bolter.

What was your plan for the warp Smith? If you can fit a Dark Apostle in it's absolutely worth it. I understand you're probably working with limited models and stuff, but if you're looking to make purchases, obliterators shine in EC. I have a Levithan that mops poo poo up as well. Grav flux bombards erase land raiders in one round of shooting, and it's great for hordes too. Toss a butcher cannon on there for good measure and you've got a decent ranged weapons platform. Not to mention people are selling them off right now in light of recent space marine balancing.

Look into Sonic Dreadnoughts as well. You can use a strategem and have them shoot twice since they're technically a Helbrute, which are also pretty fun.

I know Horus Heresy EC are more melee oriented, but unless you want to slap some Slaanesh demons in there, or run a bunch warp talons/possessed, I usually dedicate to shooting since noise marines/oblits/havocs are so good, and just make a fun blender detachment for slapping.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 29, 2020

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

Who are you playing (if you know) and are you forced into a patrol detachment? You have the units there for a good battalion there. I just got done playing a few 500 points games (against Nids and Necrons) and would recommend doing an Evil Sunz army with:

-Weirdboy with Da Jump
-Warboss on Bike
-2 units of as many boyz as you can (doesn't matter what, you're going to merge them)
-1 unit of grots to fill out the points

Move the warboss as close to the enemy as possible (remember - he can advance and charge), use Mob Up to combine the boyz, da jump them into 6" of the warboss, charge the nearest unit, krump your way through the enemy. You should be able to control the board with sheer numbers of units.

Okay, so this looks like a good list to focus on because more boyz=better than, obviously. I'm surprised that you recommend Mob Up, since that doesn't let me use Unstoppable Green Tide, but I suppose a 500pt game is going to be a bit more focused and we won't reach a point where redeploying would be possible. Is Follow Me Ladz! worth spending a CP on to increase my Waaagh range to 9"? Seems p good

It looks like there are at least three others playing, and I assume we're on patrol to limit CP. I know there will be Sisters, I don't expect any Guard, and I think I could possibly see some Necrons, plus either Marines or Nurgle poo poo.

As far as opposing heavies, I don't know what to expect the sisters will have an immolator to deal with, should I try to use cover before charging to avoid losing too much force to overwatch, or should I not even concern myself?

Edit: Can I get a citation on this?

quote:

Move the warboss as close to the enemy as possible (remember - he can advance and charge)

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 29, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

it's on his datasheet

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Ah, okay the aura abilities apply to the models bearing them then? That makes perfect sense when I actually think about it, but I was expecting the rules language to be more specific

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
If the model/unit is in range (definitely in this case) and has the keyword(s) that an aura ability affects (<clan> and infantry in this case) it affects the model/unit. That's the rule. There are cases where things aren't affected by their own stuff because they don't have the keyword the ability affects.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Wasn't there like one guy who did kill Lucius and not get turned into him, because he held Lucius in such contempt that he found killing him just a tiring chore, and then Lucius had to resurrect some other way?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stephenls posted:

Wasn't there like one guy who did kill Lucius and not get turned into him, because he held Lucius in such contempt that he found killing him just a tiring chore, and then Lucius had to resurrect some other way?

Lexicanum posted:

Lucius's codex entries consistently describe his first death coming at the hands of Lord Commander Cyrius.[1] Angel Exterminatus has Lucius die at the hands of Nykona Sharrowkin and reawaken in Fabius's apothecarion. However, this death was specifically said to never give Sharrowkyn any satisfaction[5], which may mean that his death at Cyrius' hands was merely the first to meet the conditions for his resurrection by Slaanesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I thought the whole big time champion of chaos thing meant he'd just pop up in the warp really disappointed if he died.