Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The Dark Tower is three good books, one pretty good but unrelated book, and three :psyduck:. Just read through The Wasteland, and read Wizard and Glass if you like slow-burn westerns.

Alongside the silly, deeply disappointing stuff in the last few books, there are some genuinely cool or poignant things. The problem is, for every one thing like Eddie's death there are ten things like The Crimson King's weapon of choice being explosive Golden Snitches. It wouldn't frustrate me as much if it were consistently lovely and dumb, but King shows often enough that he still understands the good parts of his writing and genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He writes good stories but lovely endings with the exception of some short stories. And I say that as a lifelong fan of his.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Field Mousepad posted:

He writes good stories but lovely endings with the exception of some short stories. And I say that as a lifelong fan of his.

:emptyquote:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love most of his books, lovely endings and all. :kiddo:

He has wrote some really good short stories, though. Like really, really good.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I couldn’t believe after four excellent books we got stuck with Dr. Doom, Harry Potter, a self-insert and the monumental cosmic evil being a dirty old man stuck on a balcony and defeated by another magical disabled person.

I was so disappointed. The last three books are so bad you guys.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The best part of The Dark Tower series is the whiny foreward from the author (in my edition), where he indulges in a multi-page whinge that people give lots of respect to JRR Tolkein, but none for him and he's written lots of books and when was the last time that Tolkien published anything, let alone a book about a car?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hey y’all! Come join us in the Stephen King Megathread! We would love to discuss all things King with you!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

The reason 11/22/63 has a good ending is because Joe Hill (one of his sons who is also a writer) read the book first and told him the original ending sucked and helped write a new one.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

world hopping and parallel universes own and it is why dark tower and the witcher are extremely cool amd good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always recall that King's reaction to the ending of The Mist movie was apparently pretty much 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that.'

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stephen king interrupts the last dark tower book to tell the reader specifically they don’t need an ending to this 20 year series and he only does endings because he has to. He’s a habitual line stepper.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/kattamedslips/status/1232739087985106944

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I mean dark tower had good points, but he yet again put in a magical black person with some horrendously racist dialogue. Oy the goat was pretty good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Field Mousepad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWAcHZpTEk

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't mind the derail but since there seems to be interest, here's the Stephen King thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3130206

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Did you know that world-renowned writer Stephen King was once hit by a car? Just something to consider.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Herbotron posted:

Did you know that world-renowned writer Stephen King was once hit by a car? Just something to consider.

Seems like an extreme form of literary criticism.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember at the end of the IT book where all the 11-12 year olds hosed the single girl in the group so they could form a bond that linked them together forever? I wish I didn't remember.

For some reason in the movie they just make a blood bond instead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Remember at the end of the IT book where all the 11-12 year olds hosed the single girl in the group so they could form a bond that linked them together forever? I wish I didn't remember.

The two movies are the best adaptation because they keep all the good stuff and throw out King being Too King.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah that was extremely weird and I've always been suspicious of people who say they enjoyed the book because of that

fake edit: I've been suspicious because of that reason, no one has said cited that as a reason they like the book, to my knowledge

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The whole IT industry is known for loving over women.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Doubtful Guest posted:

And being run by cocaine addled management and creative directors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Herbotron posted:

Then he wrote a TV show where he kills off a guy who is suspiciously similar to the guy who hit him with a van.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doubtful Guest posted:

There's no reason to remind people that Graham Linehan exists if you aren't going to dunk on him.

muscles like this! posted:

Then he wrote a TV show where he kills off a guy who is suspiciously similar to the guy who hit him with a van.

Not as bad as Michael Crichton turning someone into a pedophile in one of his books because that person criticized his bad anti-climate change science.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The takeaway from all this is to go watch Garth Marenghi's Darkplace instead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Herbotron posted:

Physical criticism is the truest form of criticism.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The takeaway from all this is to go watch Garth Marenghi's Darkplace instead.
hell yyeah, moving picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6dt0rFddA

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Well he did write that documentary, The Stand

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol if you're not already packed to move to Las Vegas, I mean Boulder. Boulder.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chitoryu12 posted:

The two movies are the best adaptation because they keep all the good stuff and throw out King being Too King.

I'm going to take the brave and controversial position that The Shining is actually the best King adaptation

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm going to take the brave and controversial position that The Shining is actually the best King adaptation

Which one?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I won't ever forget because goons trip themselves over the opportunity of posting this every single time

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I won't ever forget because goons trip themselves over the opportunity of posting this every single time

Sorry to bother you, Mr. King.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Samuringa posted:

To be fair the lobstrosities keep prattling on about it too, it's pretty saucy gossip in the megaverse

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It was specifically so that they could get out of the sewers, with the implication that IT's magic or influence or whatever would separate them/keep them down there forever if they didn't have a strong enough bond. This is something that they sort of randomly deduce on their own without anything actually hinting at it

What I'm getting at is that King is a bad writer who came up with the most contrived reason possible to write a preteen sex scene in one of his books. At least it was memorable I guess!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

And the guy who hit him with the van OD’d on Stephen King’s birthday. Out of respect.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The one on Treehouse of Horror

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's the shinning. You wanna get sued?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Season 1, Episode 8 of Castle Rock is the best thing ever associated with Stephen King, despite almost having nothing to do with him directly.