Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That’s the other side of it: all the breweries making crazy stouts, IPAs, and sours just fill up the remaining slots on their menu with pilsners, amber ales, and wheat beers that all taste identical to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the bigger problem is that most breweries are spending all of their effort on three styles: imperial stouts, IPAs, and sour beers. And then all of those styles get loaded up with fruit, chocolate, coffee, coconut, etc. to try and stand out from the pack.

chitoryu12 posted:

That’s the other side of it: all the breweries making crazy stouts, IPAs, and sours just fill up the remaining slots on their menu with pilsners, amber ales, and wheat beers that all taste identical to each other.
You hit the nail on the head. I can't get a Hefeweizen in July because that role is being filled by gimmick pale ales, gimmick sours, and boring pale lagers.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm glad I live in a good beer city. Just got a growler of a fantastic hefe from down the road.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh I have a fuckton of craft beer here. Sanford has like 4 breweries in a downtown area that you can walk across in 10 minutes, plus a cider brewery owned by Central 28, and then there's the two dozen others I can find heading down toward Orlando. But the market saturation is such that most of the stuff ends up being very similar, and your attempt at supporting a local business is "This beer tastes like something I bought at Publix, but costs $3 more."

Hourglass Brewing in Longwood is good because they're not afraid to experiment. They've done Harvester of Yarrow, a gruit beer that tasted almost like a sweeter aromatic bitters.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My wife made a really good point in that here in Florida, there are no seasons to change what you drink, so variety and rotation takes a back seat to what's in vogue. You don't have places doing hefeweizen in Summer and chocolate porters in winter, because there IS no winter.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think that’s a fair point, but you’re also using a subscription beer service. I would think that by design your selection is limited. Don’t blame the breweries for the fact that you’re only able to get what the service wants you to get.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I drink a hell of a lot more beer than what Tavour sends me every month. Since I started keeping tabs in December 2017, I’ve had around 550 unique beers. Beer Advocate stats put me at 96 styles from 35 countries and 36 states.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sure if your search for "good beer" begins and ends with "whatever the turbonerds bespoke breweries are making for weird beer nerds to jerk off to" then yes I imagine you would go see the beer market as 'full of lovely gimmicks' but I can also walk into the perfectly average liquor store near me in Washington DC (which is by no means "a beer city") and they have 2-3 Oxbows to choose from and like 4-5 main beer company expressions and also every single safeway now has like mixed 12 packs from Founders alongside true classics like Paualner and Weinstephaner. If you want to get into beer start with tried and true classics, of which there are now just a comical amount that are readily available, and then work your way up to the gimmicks or just don't because you don't need to drink the weird turbonerd lactic milkshake IPAs to be 'into beer'.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I complained about it, what I meant was that even my local brewpubs are following these trends. Pineapple Pizza Space Cookie IPA sounds like liquid poo poo, but I don't care; it would be stupid to complain about a product that I'd have to go out of my way to buy.

Now on the other hand, when I look for an IPA on tap, I often see Three Notch'd 40 Mile and Minute Man, which I really do not want.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Okay so y'know how baby Jesus got myrrh from the old farts? (religion is fiction, but bear with me)

Well TIL my first actual bit of knowledge about myrrh -- it's used in making fernet!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are the best mixing rums, for gold and light? I really like Appleton Estates and Flor de Cana but if there are better cocktail ones I'm all ears.

Or, maybe, is it fine just to get whatever $10-15 swill is on the bottom shelf?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are the best mixing rums, for gold and light? I really like Appleton Estates and Flor de Cana but if there are better cocktail ones I'm all ears.

Or, maybe, is it fine just to get whatever $10-15 swill is on the bottom shelf?

Depends on what you're mixing. If you're just doing a rum & coke, you can stick with bottom shelf because you're trying to mask the flavor anyway. If you're making a Daiquiri or any other rum-forward cocktail, you want quality stuff like the brands you've already mentioned because the flavor of the rum is going to be a prominent component. And OG tiki cocktails are based on how the flavors of different types of rum mix, so you usually want to get at least mid-shelf brands for them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, I figured that might be the answer. I'm still new to the wider cocktail world and getting bearings and a banana daiquiri suddenly sounds amazing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Not much of an answer there!

Appleton is goodish but kind of middle-of-the-road. Most liquor stores around here carry it but you can usually do better. Flor de Cana is a good choice for the lighter rums but their more aged stuff lacks some complexity to me. Their silver rum and 4 year aged rum are both great values.

Personally, I always reach for Plantation rum. Their 3-Star white rum is an excellent value and makes fantastic daiquiris and mojitos, while also having the backbone necessary to hold up more complex cocktails. The Original Dark is really fantastic as well. Those two bottles in combination will honestly do just about anything you need for cocktails, if you're trying to avoid buying fifteen different bottles. If you're looking for something less dark than the Original Dark the Plantation 5-year Barbados rum is gorgeous and can be had for relatively cheap.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Flor de Cana killed 20,000 sugar cane workers from horrific working conditions in their sugarcane fields, they’re banned from any bar where the buyer has a conscious.

Plantation is extremely problematic. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sporkful/id350709629?i=1000453404945

Diplomatico is great. Montanya does an amazing job with ethical sourcing and offsetting carbon, she’s an even bigger sugar dork than I am. Three Rolls is Louisiana Single Estate, they grow, harvest, ferment and distill all on their sugar farm. Copalli from Belize is also good & very ethical.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I know we've had the FdC conversation in this thread. Didn't they improve conditions for their workers and we're all relieved to hear that? Or are they like, permanently cancelled?

And what point are you making about Plantation, because I'm absolutely not going to listen to a random podcast link. The summary seems to be that using the word "plantation" is bad? If so I agree that it's weird, but the product is good.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
They ran around an purchased an organic certification, which is meaningless. A sub $4 wholesale bottle is never going to be a good product that is ethically made. I buy about 1mil in booze a year for my bars and have a strict ethical guideline for what I’ll purchase; the wholesale murder of 20,000 for cheaper sugar cane faster doesn’t meet it.

Sorry, this link has an overview and transcript if you don’t like to listen. http://www.sporkful.com/when-white-people-say-plantation-pt-1/

I liked plantation products, hell, I’ve been in articles writing about cocktails made with it, but I won’t buy it any more.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Flor de Cana killed 20,000 sugar cane workers from horrific working conditions in their sugarcane fields, they’re banned from any bar where the buyer has a conscious.

Plantation is extremely problematic. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sporkful/id350709629?i=1000453404945

Diplomatico is great. Montanya does an amazing job with ethical sourcing and offsetting carbon, she’s an even bigger sugar dork than I am. Three Rolls is Louisiana Single Estate, they grow, harvest, ferment and distill all on their sugar farm. Copalli from Belize is also good & very ethical.

Flor de Cana also responded by becoming one of the first spirits companies to become fair trade certified, which involved hiring the previously-3rd-party workers as full time employees and significantly improving working conditions and resources, including required breaks in provided shade and unlimited oral re-hydration drinks. They are also subject to a random audit once a year to confirm they're maintaining standards. I think it poses the question of "is it enough?" They are a product that I dropped from my bar when I learned about CDK issues came up and haven't re-introduced them yet.

Regardless, the quality of their product has dropped noticeably as they have tried to maintain their unbeatable price point, including dropping the age statements of their 4 & 7 'year' rums. They are no longer the 'best rum for the price by a huge margin' they used to be.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jesus. I'll have to look around locally, not sure if Diplomatico is around but maybe. I've been using Havana Club for stuff until I found out that it's actually the HC made by Bacardi who just stole the name so I won't be buying it anymore either.

Indiana doesn't allow shipping of alcohol, in or out, and the nearest big selection store is 2.5 hours away. No one locally will bring in Cherry Heering unless I buy a whole case for $200.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

To add to the actual question at hand, I am a big fan of Denizen's & Brugal these days for both aged and unaged for the classic column-still style rums

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Havana Club is fine. Bacardi had a legit claim to the name and they have the rights in some countries, Pernod Ricard in others.

Diplomatico is great, highly recommend. I can glance at my spirits lists for some others you may be able to find, but they tend to be smaller producers.

Banks 5 Island is great for daiquiris and is part of Bacardi portfolio so you may be able to find that?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
e; beaten

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You’re not missing anything with Cherry Heering.

Does Indiana have any of the Haus Alpenz portfolio (Dolin, Cocchi, Cardamaro, Negroni Apertivo, etc?) if so, try to find the Marendy cherry Liqueur. Much drier than Heering, bright flavor.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, as a product whose history is rooted in colonialism and slave labor, rum's really complicated! It's great that buyers and bartenders give a poo poo enough to be so well-informed on the ethics of the spirit, and I appreciate that we have people like that who can pop in to talk about it.

MAKE NO BABBYS, I appreciate the transcript link there. That actually sounds like a cool podcast, I'll have to give it a try sometime. I was entertained by how fragile some white people get when you even start to have this conversation, immediately jumping to "I don't want my kids to feel guilty just because they're white!" Such a crazy oversimplification, and it's like reflexively self-victimizing in a pretty revealing way.

I've actually never given Diplomatico a chance in my home bar come to think of it. I'll pick some up next time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The history of rum is basically the history of modern capitalism and racism. Literally sickening.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's a song about the triangle trade in 1776.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

The history of rum is basically the history of modern capitalism and racism. Literally sickening.

It's virtually impossible to live a life free of any negative history in what products you consume, and studying history farther back than European colonialism makes you realize just how lovely the world has been. The important part is that you choose from products that aren't actively causing harm now when you're capable of doing so.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Do you even know how many people have died over access to drinkable water? Personally, I don't partake out of a sense of moral outrage.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Speaking of colonialism, has anyone made their own tonic water before? I'm giving it a go now, kind of a combination of a few recipes I've found online. Chopped cinchona with lemongrass, peel and juice of lime, lemon, orange, and grapefruit, with some allspice, gentian, and mace for good measure. And of course citric acid. I'm eager to see how it turns out. I might try just making tonic syrup in the future.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do you even know how many people have died over access to drinkable water? Personally, I don't partake out of a sense of moral outrage.

I know you're being flip but that's exactly why it's good to avoid Nestle. Like the point isn't avoid rum, it's maybe expect the makers of a product to not kill 20k people or have them destroy a regions drinking water.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Largo Bay is a nice cheap rum, they do charcoal filtering which cam help if youre sensitive to headaches and hangovers. RL Seales, Doorlys, amd Canasteros are nicer rums for better mixing. Kaniche too.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
My tonic water is too sour. I was skeptical of the recipe saying to add juice and not just zest of citrus. It's not as bad when I leave it flat, but who wants flat tonic water? It's still all right for a starting point.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey thread, got a weird and fun one. A friend has some un-aged whiskey flavored with caraway. Very floral and pleasant on its own but not a very particularly strong flavor. Any ideas on what you'd mix it with aside from maybe the obvious ginger ale/beer?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey thread, got a weird and fun one. A friend has some un-aged whiskey flavored with caraway. Very floral and pleasant on its own but not a very particularly strong flavor. Any ideas on what you'd mix it with aside from maybe the obvious ginger ale/beer?

Probably be good in a bloody Mary

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Anise would also work—maybe do like a Manhattan using blanc vermouth with an absinthe rinse?

Or do something with heering? Maybe duo style?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rotten Cookies posted:

Try subbing it into drinks that call for akavit, which is also usually caraway-forward.

Edit: a lot of akavit cocktails are, in turn, gin substitutions. Makes a good Collins, for instance.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 7, 2020

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Camparty round 2 was better, but I couldn't help but wonder why I was ebnanedrfhgbjstnderfkvml cghvb;,f like I dunno, just a more bitter beer with herbal hints? I thionk next time I will try and find some sort of juice that works with it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Not very interesting but I'm a sucker for campari and soda water, especially with food

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Camparty round 2 was better, but I couldn't help but wonder why I was ebnanedrfhgbjstnderfkvml cghvb;,f like I dunno, just a more bitter beer with herbal hints? I thionk next time I will try and find some sort of juice that works with it.

You may also consider the Spaghett. I do not know why it is called that, but it's a 12oz bottle of High Life that you pour out some of, then pour 1oz Aperol and 1oz lemon juice into. Try this with amari other than Aperol! Realize that you're just making vermouth spritzes with beer instead of sparkling wine. Attain inner peace in realizing that everything is exactly the same, like Kanye said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

An Americano Perfecto, which is just an Americano with an Italian style pilsner instead of soda, is delicious. Since we're talking Camparty.