Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Seams posted:

When people say such-and-such is a mark for them self, doesn’t that just mean they know their own value as a performer?

There's obviously a lot of narcissists in wrestling, but the whole "mark for himself" thing has always been anti-labor messaging weaponized to turn fans and co-workers against a wrestler trying to get what he feels he's worth. We've seen it as recently as the Elite, who felt they were lowballed by NJPW and turned around and formed their own promotion, got labeled marks for themselves and just a T-shirt company, and are now making a handsome living killing NXT in the ratings every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I kinda looked at it from a carny perspective as in don't let anyone know the business is fake/rigged, even when you're retired you keep playing the act.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Cavauro posted:

does anyone remember that weird match wwf had in the dungeon and it was a 6x6 room made out of cardboard with exactly one of this on the floor

Yeah Owen vs Shamrock and refereed by Dan Severn. It was good from what I remember.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i meant to say particle board instead of cardboard. Thank you

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kevin Nash is an example of knowing your own worth.
Hulk Hogan is a mark for himself.

The Elite are examples of guys who know their own worth.
Enzo is an example of a mark for himself.

Its fine to "know your own worth" if your evaluation is somewhere within the ballpark of reality. Its even ok to play hardball and fight for what's best for you and yours even if it burns some bridges. But like, if you think you're worth more than you are and if you just step on people to get ahead then that's different. There's a line somewhere and you probably know it when you see it.

Bret always struck me more of the former. He was very good and very popular and he knew he was worth more than what WWF was giving him. And for that they screwed him over and then wrote him as a petulant diva. HBK and Vince were probably more of the latter.
They thought they were better and that they could gently caress around with Bret and his people and blame them for it.

But like... he still kinda seemed like a jerk with a weird piss fetish.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm struggling to think of wrestlers I've watched who aren't horrible jerks in one way or another.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Bret didn't actually think he was the best he never would have become a top guy. How good he was and the way he carried himself is what made him a star.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Whenever I think of Bret being "a mark for himself" I think less of it being a money/value as a performer thing and of more along the lines of how he takes everything so deadly serious and seemingly has no sense of humor about anything. And like, fair enough, dude's had a hard life, but at some point you gotta lighten up a bit. He comes across as completely joyless even in the early 90s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bret and Shawn also had to be advocates for themselves at a time when a lot of the management was even more obsessed with size than they are now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TriffTshngo posted:

Whenever I think of Bret being "a mark for himself" I think less of it being a money/value as a performer thing and of more along the lines of how he takes everything so deadly serious and seemingly has no sense of humor about anything. And like, fair enough, dude's had a hard life, but at some point you gotta lighten up a bit. He comes across as completely joyless even in the early 90s.

But like "being kind of a depressed guy" only becomes "being a mark for yourself" in the weird rear end world of wrestling and "carnie speak."

I mean, you could tell your random buddy to "get over himself" if he was depressed about the bad poo poo that happened to him. But then you might be a jerk.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

That's probably like asking where the line is between confidence and arrogance. You obviously CAN just think you're better than you are and be a selfish deluded rear end in a top hat. People are everywhere.

That's easy. It's not confidence, it's all ego.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cavauro posted:

does anyone remember that weird match wwf had in the dungeon and it was a 6x6 room made out of cardboard with exactly one of this on the floor

Ah, the precursor to Gatoh Move, Vince ahead of the times once again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

What are some examples of a later naming of a move becoming the genericized name? The only ones that come to mind immediately are the Belly-to-Belly Piledriver becoming the Tombstone and Kudome Valentine becoming the Vertebreaker. I guess also Yoshi Tonic/Code Red but that just seems to be a regional difference.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a lot of people refer to the Asai moonsault/quebadra as a Lionsault

also uranage/Rock Bottom

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The ones that sprung to mind are Cutters and Stunners.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ace crusher became a cutter

I dont know when it took off but poisonrana is now more common than reverse/inverted hurricanrana

And hurricanrana referring to all headscissors is one itself as hurricanrana used to mean a rana into the pin. A release was the frankensteiner.

Sharpshooter took over scorpion hold.

All argentine backbreakers being called The Rack because of Lex Luger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Spear, which is really just a football tackle

The Stunner. Variations of it were just called jawbreakers or ace crushers before that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Belly-to-Back Suplex becoming the German Suplex

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

All argentine backbreakers being called The Rack because of Lex Luger.

This isn't true.

Davros1 posted:

Belly-to-Back Suplex becoming the German Suplex

Nor is this. German Suplex is a variety of belly-to-back suplex but there is a difference.

I went on Youtube to find an example of the two and the first video was Kurt Angle doing an overhead belly-to-belly suplex and people insisting that it was a belly-to-back & now I'm really mad.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 29, 2020

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why is a Northern Lights Suplex called such?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Aurora Borealis.

More specifically, Hase named it when he was wrestling in Canada

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Black Gordman was doing the DDT by the late 60s, calling it the Diamond Twist.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Used to be Skinner’s finisher

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Part of it is that he played that character, so he was never really happy-go-lucky or anything. But his heyday was also in an era where you really needed to play the backstage politics game to get ahead, and he pretty much lost that fight anytime it happened. Vince would push him to the top, but then almost immediately pushed him aside for Hogan or Michaels and Nash. Then he gets screwed, goes to WCW, and is mostly wasted because of...Hogan and Nash. I'd probably be pretty miserable after all that, and it's not even mentioning all the other things he's gone through :shrug:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
This isn't a question exactly, but I'll make it one, but I think about this

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I have no doubt that Ambrose could sell for a hologram.

post from 2013 regularly. How did he get a job at WWE?

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 29, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

jesus WEP posted:

May I see it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shine posted:

May I see it?
No

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Billy Gunn’s famasser gets called with the same name when other people do it. Was the move originally called the Famouser and got an rear end Pun attached? Did someone else name it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

keithy george posted:

Billy Gunn’s famasser gets called with the same name when other people do it. Was the move originally called the Famouser and got an rear end Pun attached? Did someone else name it?

It's a rocker dropper, Marty and Shawn both used to do it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

This isn't a question exactly, but I'll make it one, but I think about this

post regularly. How did he get a job at WWE?

are you talking about jon moxley? his episode on this https://www.radio.com/media/podcast/aew-unrestricted is a super good and recent explanation of everything career-wise, pre-wwe and how he got into it. basically getting called by gabe one day set him on the path to getting real hot on the indy scene. gabe the fucker idiot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I have a truly random wrestling question that just came to mind as I was trying to fall asleep.

I was in that infamous "Change the Channel" Hammerstein Ballroom crowd for WWECW. Its probably one of the most fun sports/concert memories I have (the whole show, not just the one part). I remember at the time that a huge percentage of the fanbase was furious at us and insisted we disrespected the wrestlers and were only there to make ourselves the stars and would only be satisfied with ECW leftovers. I argued that it was silly, we went crazy for CM Punk, we were excited about Kurt Angle vs the Brooklyn Brawler, and we were there for a drat Dreamer/Sandman vs Test/Mike Knox match. I felt at the time (and I think most there did as well) that WWE knew we would respond to those things and also knew if they had given us any half way expected or preferred main event that wouldn't have happened but they basically gave us the worst possible match.

I wonder how people feel about that now. Its weird looking back. ECW is dead, buried, dug up, buried, dug up, etc so many times even us old diehards are kind of over it. CM Punk went from beloved indie star to hated sellout. Batista was "Mr. WWE" in every negative sense at the time and is now beloved. Everyone seems way more sympathetic to the idea that WWE seems to book things that they should know better than and sometimes almost to spite audiences. Everyone also seems to appreciate fans that are engaged and saying what they think more nowadays, even if its disapproving. And hell, that's a pretty terrible show card looking back and I can't even imagine watching that show on TV today. I can't even imagine paying to see a WWE show now let alone being that emotionally invested.

So I don't know. I just couldn't sleep and for some reason that came to mind. I wonder how you folks feel about it now?

i wish i could find the posts from around that time where we were blessed with "tommy dreamer doing all of these jobs is tarnishing the legacy that ECW left behind"

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Cavauro posted:

are you talking about jon moxley? his episode on this https://www.radio.com/media/podcast/aew-unrestricted is a super good and recent explanation of everything career-wise, pre-wwe and how he got into it. basically getting called by gabe one day set him on the path to getting real hot on the indy scene. gabe the fucker idiot.

No the guy who figured Mox could sell for a hologram several months before it happened

I am honored to receive a Cavauro response

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I thought you were talking about Jon Moxley

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

It's okay, you work hard and play harder

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SG Bamboo posted:

What are some examples of a later naming of a move becoming the genericized name? The only ones that come to mind immediately are the Belly-to-Belly Piledriver becoming the Tombstone and Kudome Valentine becoming the Vertebreaker. I guess also Yoshi Tonic/Code Red but that just seems to be a regional difference.
The tombstone name predates The Undertaker by decades. It became his finisher because it was already named that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

davidbix posted:

The tombstone name predates The Undertaker by decades. It became his finisher because it was already named that.

From my brief research it seemed like Jack Pallo called it the Belly-to-Belly when he used it in the 60's before it was called the Tombstone by the WOS guys in the 80's, but I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

canadian destroyer and 619 (less so than the former but still def used when non rey misterio jr people do it) are the most recent ones that come to mind

sling blade's another one but i'm not completely sure that the name doesn't predate tana

edit i guess canadian destroyer may not count as i missed the "later renaming part"

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 1, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

From my brief research it seemed like Jack Pallo called it the Belly-to-Belly when he used it in the 60's before it was called the Tombstone by the WOS guys in the 80's, but I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject

I think Andre used it when he still had knees and they called it that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Two questions about COLT CABANA

1) Did he start the wrestling podcast boom?
2) Did he start Pro Wrestling Tees?

jesus WEP posted:

A Northern Lights suplex? At this point in the match, at this point on the card, localized ENTIRELY within the center of the ring?

May I kick out of it?