Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Acer Pilot posted:

I was just offered a team lead position over a team I've never really worked with before. There seems to be quite a lot of communication and process issues and they're all much older than me. I was thinking about moving to a FAANG this year if possible but this is more aligned to what I want to do in the future.

Any advice from people who have taken on this role before? Do they hire leads at FAANGs or is that all internal?

I mean, it can never be a bad thing having "team lead" on your resume, can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

I was just offered a team lead position over a team I've never really worked with before. There seems to be quite a lot of communication and process issues and they're all much older than me. I was thinking about moving to a FAANG this year if possible but this is more aligned to what I want to do in the future.

Any advice from people who have taken on this role before? Do they hire leads at FAANGs or is that all internal?

If team lead is a tech lead and not a manager, then the FAANGs I'm familiar with have levels that are entirely separate from that position. More experience is always good and the title is good as well, but FAANGs and the equivalents have a relatively low regard of experience outside of what they consider equivalent companies and thus it's hard to get hired at the higher levels. There's is also a tendency to underlevel, but with potentially equivalent pay, under the assumption that if you are underleveled you should be able to get promoted.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

Nope, you should have escalated your complaints to memegen so something might be done about them

Yeah, then I could print it out and put it on the wall next to the $1000 check from the wage collusion settlement, the offer letter signed by the VP who got a fat payout after the sexual harassment became too public knowledge, and the news articles from when an acquaintance got fired for talking too loudly about unionization.

Who wouldn't want to work at a place like that?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Acer Pilot posted:

I was a TL of a team where some of the members had children that were nearly my age. There were also a lot of process issues. Thankfully no one was actually attached to the process, so the most impactful thing I did was surface to the team that not only did the process suck, everyone agreed that it sucked, and helped build a better one.

Didn't get hired at a FAANG though, so :shrug:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So Im getting an offer letter for a dev manager position for a company I interviewed with.

I was never in management before! Somehow I swindled them into this con!

I was a team lead though which has some sorta seni-managerial tasks bundled with it.

Anyhow, anyone have some book recommendations I can read in the interim so I can be slightly less inept when I show up ?

[Not even close to FAANG]

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheReverend posted:

So Im getting an offer letter for a dev manager position for a company I interviewed with.

I was a team lead though which has some sorta seni-managerial tasks bundled with it.

Anyhow, anyone have some book recommendations I can read in the interim so I can be slightly less inept when I show up ?

Congrats!

The first 90 days
It's your ship (this helps me realize I had agency to own my area and actually make change, and expected to)
Anything and everything on emotional intelligence. The more that you can mature that the better you will do in life and leadership.

First two that hit me

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just bought these, thanks!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I've been enjoying The Manager's Path: a Guide for Tech Leaders because it covers that very same transition from team lead to manager.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kayakyakr posted:

I've been enjoying The Manager's Path: a Guide for Tech Leaders because it covers that very same transition from team lead to manager.

This book helped me understand root causes of dysfunction in some of the orgs I’ve been in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kayakyakr posted:

This is really good for you to get a good high level grasp of things. I read through it before starting my role as an EM at a larger tech company, even though I'd been managing managers before and it helped call out things for me.

I've also been reading An Elegant Puzzle which goes deeper on organizational challenges. It's good so far and less applicable for a first time manager but is helping provide context to a lot of decisions.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of leads, I just submitted an application for a lead rendering engineer role. At about 10 years of experience, though, I think I might be a bit green for it. It feels like yesterday that I've been "officially" recognised as senior, but I was reading the job description and I realised it basically fit my background to a T. I think I'd be more suited as a technical lead than a team lead, however, and that's what they seemed to be looking for. If the hiring managers don't blanket reject anything below (x) years of experience, maybe it'll work out? :confuoot:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TheReverend posted:

Honestly, start with the Manager Tools podcast HoF series on 1:1s, coaching, feedback, and delegation and you're 70% of the way there on what you need to be a first-year line manager

e: One of the guys also put a lot of this into book form, if that's how you prefer to consume this information (even being not a podcast person, the podcast is very good), so you could also look at The Effective Manager

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 29, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Honestly, start with the Manager Tools podcast HoF series on 1:1s, coaching, feedback, and delegation and you're 70% of the way there on what you need to be a first-year line manager

Oh these are good, I listened to those when I first became a leader also.

Also, learn and practice humility. It goes a real long way (and can cover your rear end too!)

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Oh I got the humility thing down 🙃

Anyhow, also picked the other book mentioned, and now I'm subscribing to podcasts.

I'm going to be moderately competent come hell or high-water!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
This may be not exactly the place to ask, but I'm old and I need career-related advice so here goes:

Back in December I made a rather E/N post here. The tl;dr is that I want to get the hell out of my country and I was considering emigrating to Europe since I've heard/read that they're looking for devs in quite a few places.

The two countries I was considering were Germany (Berlin) and The Netherlands (Amsterdam or Hage?) back in December I got some advice from Keetron, who is based in Netherlands -thanks again for that- and I kinda wanted to settle on one to start taking language lessons, but then it occured to me I only considered those because it's what I've heard people mention as good locations for devs, but is there somewhere else in Europe that I should be looking into? Any particular recommendation between Germany and Netherlands for dev-based work?

This is all from a "going to take a plane to the country then look for work once I'm there and hope someone sponsors me for a visa" perspective. Yeah, I know. I don't like it either but I'm working with what I have. :(

tl;dr: Want to emigrate to Europe as a (rather lovely but trying to get better) dev. Where do I go.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Edmond Dantes posted:

tl;dr: Want to emigrate to Europe as a (rather lovely but trying to get better) dev. Where do I go.

Hey you don't seem to have PMs? I was gonna link you my employer's careers site. We have about 100 positions open right now in Sweden, whereof ~80 are various engineering jobs, mostly software and/or data engineering.
The upside is the company language is English, so you can do what 90% of our new hires do and learn the language after you come here when it's more convenient. Hit me up on PM if you feel like sending dough to Lowtax.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheReverend posted:

I'm going to be moderately competent come hell or high-water!

That's the spirit! One day you will be a mediocre manager like the rest of us!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Any advice for applying for jobs in other countries? I'm considering moving to Spain to get away from the Danish weather and dark, lovely winters, but I'd like to have a job lined up first.

E: I'm already in the EU so I don't have to worry about anything except getting the job and moving.

Joda fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 1, 2020

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

This may be not exactly the place to ask, but I'm old and I need career-related advice so here goes:

Back in December I made a rather E/N post here. The tl;dr is that I want to get the hell out of my country and I was considering emigrating to Europe since I've heard/read that they're looking for devs in quite a few places.

The two countries I was considering were Germany (Berlin) and The Netherlands (Amsterdam or Hage?) back in December I got some advice from Keetron, who is based in Netherlands -thanks again for that- and I kinda wanted to settle on one to start taking language lessons, but then it occured to me I only considered those because it's what I've heard people mention as good locations for devs, but is there somewhere else in Europe that I should be looking into? Any particular recommendation between Germany and Netherlands for dev-based work?

This is all from a "going to take a plane to the country then look for work once I'm there and hope someone sponsors me for a visa" perspective. Yeah, I know. I don't like it either but I'm working with what I have. :(

I lived in Berlin for a year and consider it the best thing I've ever done in my life - it really is a wonderful city. I got a lot of interviews pretty easily, and although I managed to become conversational in German by the time I left, that isn't easy - English is spoken in the city center to such an extent that it's actually difficult to practice German. Can't speak to the Netherlands because I've never worked there.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Berlin is really cool yeah, I've been idly thinking about applying for something there at some point before I get too old. I already speak basic German too.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Makeout Patrol posted:

Can't speak to the Netherlands because I've never worked there.
Everybody speaks English.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you want to go to Netherlands check out the DAFT treaty. Dutch American friendship treaty. You deposit $6500 (treaty has never been adjusted for inflation since the 1960s) in a Dutch bank, wait three months, get Dutch 3 year visa that allows you to work and live in Netherlands. Magic.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hadlock posted:

If you want to go to Netherlands check out the DAFT treaty. Dutch American friendship treaty. You deposit $6500 (treaty has never been adjusted for inflation since the 1960s) in a Dutch bank, wait three months, get Dutch 3 year visa that allows you to work and live in Netherlands. Magic.

I thought you were joking (nice acronym) but indeed can investors or entrepreneurs get a visa like this. TIL!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey you don't seem to have PMs? I was gonna link you my employer's careers site. We have about 100 positions open right now in Sweden, whereof ~80 are various engineering jobs, mostly software and/or data engineering.
The upside is the company language is English, so you can do what 90% of our new hires do and learn the language after you come here when it's more convenient. Hit me up on PM if you feel like sending dough to Lowtax.
Thanks a whole lot, that's something I will 100% take into account, but unfortunately I'm still at the planning phase for this; I have a lot of poo poo to sort out here before I can even think about pulling this off so I don't think I'll be doing this for another year at the earliest.

At this moment I'm pretty much trying to decide where to land first so I can start learning the language and doing a bit of research even if I know I may end up somewhere else once I'm actually there.

Hadlock posted:

Not from the States so I can't use that I'm afraid. Went to both NL and German embassies here and they both pretty much told me my best bet is flying over, entering with a travel visa and looking for an employer willing to sponsor a work visa.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks a whole lot, that's something I will 100% take into account, but unfortunately I'm still at the planning phase for this; I have a lot of poo poo to sort out here before I can even think about pulling this off so I don't think I'll be doing this for another year at the earliest.

At this moment I'm pretty much trying to decide where to land first so I can start learning the language and doing a bit of research even if I know I may end up somewhere else once I'm actually there.

Not from the States so I can't use that I'm afraid. Went to both NL and German embassies here and they both pretty much told me my best bet is flying over, entering with a travel visa and looking for an employer willing to sponsor a work visa.

Have you not been looking for work already? Moving on a time-limited visa sounds terrifying.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cuntpunch posted:

Have you not been looking for work already? Moving on a time-limited visa sounds terrifying.

Not really because if I started looking for a job now and someone actually wanted to hire me I'd have to turn them down. I own my apartment here so at the very least I would need to sell half my poo poo and move whatever I don't sell to my old room at my mum's so she can rent this place for some income.

Travel "visas" (I don't actually need a travel visa for either country with my passport, I just show up) let me enter the country and stay for 3 months; if I don't manage to land a job in 3 months I figure the visa is the least of my worries.

Landing a job before arriving would be ideal and I'll start sending out resumes once I feel like I can just leave with a few weeks notice, but right now that's just not possible. I also reckoned it'd be easier to actually get a job if I'm able to attend interviews in person, even with video calls and stuff being an option (may be dead wrong regarding this, so feel free to call me out).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I also reckoned it'd be easier to actually get a job if I'm able to attend interviews in person, even with video calls and stuff being an option (may be dead wrong regarding this, so feel free to call me out).

In the case of my employer, yes, that'd be a plus. I think most of our hiring managers would feel iffy about not meeting in person. And we don't finance someone's trip over for an interview, except presumably for senior management positions.

They would happily arrange your work permit if you were here on a tourist visa, though. I imagine that would work well in most, if not all, of the EU.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not really because if I started looking for a job now and someone actually wanted to hire me I'd have to turn them down.

This is a weird "I'm afraid I'll be TOO successful" excuse. If someone decides they want to hire you today, they will likely still want to hire you in a few months when you get your poo poo together. Sure, they could move on to another candidate by then, in which case the timing wasn't gonna work out anyway so you had nothing to lose.

Or they might say "let's chat in person once you're in town" which sounds ok?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

pokeyman posted:

This is a weird "I'm afraid I'll be TOO successful" excuse. If someone decides they want to hire you today, they will likely still want to hire you in a few months when you get your poo poo together. Sure, they could move on to another candidate by then, in which case the timing wasn't gonna work out anyway so you had nothing to lose.

Or they might say "let's chat in person once you're in town" which sounds ok?

I don't know how it works on the continent, but up north, 3 month notice periods seem to be common in tech. So when I got my job and signed the offer, it came with a clear understanding that it might be a while before I actually got into the office - a few weeks before I could get an appointment to file my application, a month and a half of waiting for an answer, and then a few more weeks to get moved. Getting hired and going "I will need a few months to handle my affairs and move" isn't likely to be any sort of a blocker.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm a bit biased because things are way different here regarding notices, both to quit a job and to start a new one: I've gotten job offers on a Wednesday where they wanted me to start two Mondays from there, which would have meant giving my then employer all of a week and half notice.

This isn't even a weird outlier; 2 weeks notice both for quitting a job and/or starting a new one is the norm usually, anything longer that that you usually have to discuss during the interview process. It's good knowing I won't have to run to the airport at s moment's notice :v:

I definitely will start looking for opportunities once I have things underway, but right now even if I got 3 months to sort my poo poo out I'm not sure it would be enough.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Guys he said we wants to spend at least the next 12 months getting things in order, no company is going to hire someone with 12 months lead time.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 2, 2020

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Happens in fintech when non-competes get exercised.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Guys he said we wants to spend at least the next 12 months getting things in order, no company is going to hire someone with 12 months lead time.

So he can afford to ditch his life for 3 months but can't simply spend those 3 months job hunting and downsizing his life to prepare for a future move?

This sounds like some fairytale thinking. It's loving tough to emigrate. Doing so and then counting down the 90 days until you are forced to leave the country if you fail in your search for a job. That sounds like piling huge stress on huge stress for someone who is already talking about being hugely stressed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I... never said I wouldn't look for a job before leaving? I said I haven't started looking yet because that downsize and poo poo sorting you mention (which I have already started) will take me longer than any job I could potentially get right now would be willing to wait for me.
If I get a job next week and they give me a 3-month notice period, I just won't be able to accept it.

My thinking was that it'd take me about a year (probably less but let's make it a year) to get everything ready here, so I'll start looking for jobs from here around month 9, then fly over whenever I finish preparations.

I have 0 expectations on this being easy, which is why I'm way overestimating how long it will take me to sort out poo poo here. I'd rather plan everything for a year from now and only start looking for jobs when I know I could realistically accept a potential offer.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Cuntpunch posted:

So he can afford to ditch his life for 3 months but can't simply spend those 3 months job hunting and downsizing his life to prepare for a future move?

This sounds like some fairytale thinking. It's loving tough to emigrate. Doing so and then counting down the 90 days until you are forced to leave the country if you fail in your search for a job. That sounds like piling huge stress on huge stress for someone who is already talking about being hugely stressed.

I don't know how you got this reading from what he posted. He didn't say he's not going to start looking before he leaves, he said that there's no point trying to get a job an entire year in advance of when he'd be able to start. The rest you've just kind of made up because for some reason you wanna poo poo on this dude.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I don't know how you got this reading from what he posted. He didn't say he's not going to start looking before he leaves, he said that there's no point trying to get a job an entire year in advance of when he'd be able to start. The rest you've just kind of made up because for some reason you wanna poo poo on this dude.

I'm trying to provide some sort of reality check here. "gently caress it, go to a place I don't know, on a timer, and hope to get a job on a kind of tight timeline because I hate where I am" is an E/N post about immigration authorities waiting to happen. It's country to country, sure, but at least in some places, you can't even *get a bank account* without being at least a semi-permanent resident. Without that, you may not be able to *get an apartment*.

"I haven't even settled on a country" suggests not having researched in-depth the exact immigration requirements and procedural stuff involved in such a *major life decision*.

Cheers? gently caress. Yes. Emigrating is goddamn awesome. But be responsible about it, holy poo poo.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Back at an old job we had someone on the org chart who was perpetually 3 months away from finishing his doctorate and joining, for years. Hiring freezes meant we wouldn’t get the req back if we cut him loose.

A large business with niche roles can look a year out for staffing. If the whole thing wasn’t a ginned up misunderstanding, that is.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’ve worked places that have queued up new hires 6 months or more into the future, but it’s usually either a case of:

1. Well-qualified senior person that is hard to find in the first place, so accommodation is given for transition, relo, etc.

2. New graduate that gets “hired” in January but doesn’t start until July/August

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I've got a junior developer on my team that I'm mentoring, and one of the areas that he needs a lot of work is using a POSIX-ish system. He's not comfortable on the command line, doesn't know basic utilities like ls, and is entirely unfamiliar with things like the unix permissions model. I remember this being a big obstacle for me when I was at the same stage in his career. At the time I looked for books that I could read, but couldn't find much, and while I eventually picked it up by osmosis I would like to be able to point him to something more systematic rather than just sitting next to him and telling him which flags to use. Can anyone recommend a book or a course or something that might give someone fresh from school a general introduction to how to use a unix-like system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
For the very basics I don't know any specific books but once he's over that hurdle of knowing (basically) how a pipe works, you can point him towards Unix Power Tools. I recall the first edition being rather dated when I last looked in it, but I see they've made two more so hopefully this will be applicable to modern unixen. https://www.amazon.com/Power-Tools-Third-Shelley-Powers/dp/0596003307

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 8, 2020