Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that Japan only?

When I hear Dragon Quest of the Stars I just think "Circus of the Stars" with Betty White doing a tight rope routine and Vanilla Ice doing one of those motorcycle inside of a rollcage stunt thingies.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1232304490344275968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Basically your standard mobile game.

So... loving terrible? Wants you to buy gems all the time and collect cards with stars on them instead of like... gameplay?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Flavius Aetass posted:

So... loving terrible? Wants you to buy gems all the time and collect cards with stars on them instead of like... gameplay?

Pretty much. Except it's weapons and armor instead of cards. But honestly, what did you expect? That's like 90% of all mobile games.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I was hoping for something like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest which, while it sucked, did not have gacha and therefore sucked in slightly different ways that were fun for a few hours

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
There's no reason whatsoever that mobile games need to be like this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flavius Aetass posted:

There's no reason whatsoever that mobile games need to be like this

They make money hand over fist

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Wouldn't a legit mobile Dragon Quest game make money though?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Not nearly as much

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

I think more than one goon app developer has come through here and stated that the trickle of ad revenue in a freemium game very quickly outpaces the revenue from a paid game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Orvin posted:

I think more than one goon app developer has come through here and stated that the trickle of ad revenue in a freemium game very quickly outpaces the revenue from a paid game.

This was posted in the iOS thread recently

Weedle posted:

Maze Machina clocked up about 10,000 iOS downloads and 9,000 Android downloads over its first two weeks, earning about $14,000 on iOS and $150 on Android.

It was a paid app only for iOS and ad supported with optional iap on Android. It doesn't have gambling or loot boxes though

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I played like 6 hours of it yesterday in a depressed haze and it feels like a perfect game if you're in that state of mind and not in any other. Being honest, it just made me wish that DQ10 had an English release more.

Also there's a starter pack that's around $40 and the stuff you get doesn't even seem that great in comparison to what I had by playing for free, which is pretty yikes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't play gacha.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you enjoy a gacha, and can comfortably not spend money on it, then play it. If you aren't enjoying it, don't play it. If you are addicted to gambling, don't play it. If collecting things is more fun to you than playing the game, don't play it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alxprit posted:

. If you are addicted to gambling, don't play it.
excuse me this is the dragon quest thread

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was half watching Dragon Quest: Your Story because my son had it on, and....that ending was kind of bananas.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
the megami tensei phone game actually has like, a game in it. it's nice. there's a gatcha too ofc but the game gives you free poo poo often enough that I've never once paid a dime to play it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was hoping for something like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest which, while it sucked, did not have gacha and therefore sucked in slightly different ways that were fun for a few hours

All the Bravest had a gacha for additional characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was half watching Dragon Quest: Your Story because my son had it on, and....that ending was kind of bananas.

Them only having a son and not having a daughter at all felt like a weird change.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I had the ending spoiled for me and it sounded so absolutely terrible that I haven't even bothered to watch it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I had the ending spoiled for me and it sounded so absolutely terrible that I haven't even bothered to watch it

I knew about the ending going into it and kept an open mind and, well, it sure washed away a lot of the positive feelings I had up to that point!

(Not solely because of the twist but the motivation of the final villain was dumb as hell)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Why exactly did they change the ending anyway, it wasn't like V ended in some weird way that they had to slap something together

How do they keep loving up game adaptations like this lmao

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

RareAcumen posted:

Them only having a son and not having a daughter at all felt like a weird change.

Probably a cut for runtime's sake, since she wouldn't really have added much, and cramming that story into a movie's length was already tough.

I decided that I must play DQ5 again after watching the movie, and having already beaten the SNES and DS version, I fired up the translated PS2 version in PCSX2. Holy poo poo :stare:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ending ruled. I didn't even know this was an adaptation of V though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Luceo posted:

Probably a cut for runtime's sake, since she wouldn't really have added much, and cramming that story into a movie's length was already tough.

I decided that I must play DQ5 again after watching the movie, and having already beaten the SNES and DS version, I fired up the translated PS2 version in PCSX2. Holy poo poo :stare:
I didn't even know this existed, how is it?

also speculatively the new movie ending might be to make it clear that this isn't the "definitive" story of DQ5 and that's still the game? weird but I can see the rationale

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you like V, you'll like it. Probably the best looking version, but I honestly like the DS version more overall.

It's also bugged played through PCSX2, for part of the endgame, which can make navigation difficult. Still beatable, though, you just gotta wander in an area until you blindly stumble onto where you need to be.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

also speculatively the new movie ending might be to make it clear that this isn't the "definitive" story of DQ5 and that's still the game? weird but I can see the rationale

It's gorgeous when you apply PCSX2's upscaling/FSAA/etc. And yeah, that's a good point about the movie ending.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's also bugged played through PCSX2, for part of the endgame, which can make navigation difficult. Still beatable, though, you just gotta wander in an area until you blindly stumble onto where you need to be.

Where's the bugged section (in spoiler tags probably) and what does it do?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Prism posted:

Where's the bugged section (in spoiler tags probably) and what does it do?

A portion of the dungeon has the camera lodged under the floor, looking up at your party's feet. It's possible to get through, and it doesn't break anything else, but it is difficult to actually navigate through that portion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

All the Bravest had a gacha for additional characters.
holy poo poo did it really

also thank god that goons know this I'm not the only pathetic loser who enjoyed that cash-in

(Oh, was the gacha for the actual named characters rather than the job classes?)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy poo poo did it really

also thank god that goons know this I'm not the only pathetic loser who enjoyed that cash-in

(Oh, was the gacha for the actual named characters rather than the job classes?)

Nah you’re the only one who liked it. There’s a reason I titled the first FFRK thread as a dig at all the bravest. :D

The gacha was for actual characters, yeah.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Weird that that's the mobile game they localized and not Dragon Quest Walk (Dragon Quest merged with pokemon go with some gatcha elements) or DQMsl

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I picked up DQ11 during the Christmas sale and was going to get started on it soon: I've literally never played a Dragon Quest game before now and pretty much brought it because it was so well reviewed and looked extremely pretty, is there anything I should know or prepare for or is it the type of game you can just dive headfirst into?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerusalem posted:

I picked up DQ11 during the Christmas sale and was going to get started on it soon: I've literally never played a Dragon Quest game before now and pretty much brought it because it was so well reviewed and looked extremely pretty, is there anything I should know or prepare for or is it the type of game you can just dive headfirst into?

You can Respec skill points and by the late game when it could matter you'll have more money than you'll ever be able to use so the cost means nothing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Honestly, there's no really huge gotchas to be worried about. All I can say is that forging things to +3 instead of buying a new weapon or piece of armor and waiting for it to be outclassed worked pretty well for me in the long run.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

All Dragon Quests are suitable to be the first RPG of any literate person, so I'm going to tell you about the things that you don't need to worry about that other games in the genre might have taught you to fear. Nothing is permanently missable, debuffs and status effects work on bosses, you can respec skill point allocations for a nominal fee, no rare enemy drop is important, and you don't need to grind for EXP or for money (though it certainly won't harm anything if you want to).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, there's no really huge gotchas to be worried about. All I can say is that forging things to +3 instead of buying a new weapon or piece of armor and waiting for it to be outclassed worked pretty well for me in the long run.

Yea this is definitely one of the more important things to keep in mind. Upgrading with the forge is your friend and should be the first thing you do if a boss is giving you trouble.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also it's easier to go from +1 to +3, than it is to go straight to +3. If at first you don't succeed reforging in increments is easier and eventually you'll be able to buy the currency to reforge with your infinite gold

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The map has an option to show you all the collectable resources in an area when you open it up. Also, after story events your party will have something to say so use party chat every so often. It's not stuff that'd leave you lost if you didn't listen, but it's just nice to have a team that actually talk to each other outside of cutscenes.

Also the spells to increase attack power and defense are really really good, so use those if something's hitting you hard at any point in the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thank you everybody for the replies, and particularly for this one which is a HUGE weight off my completionist mind:

Bongo Bill posted:

Nothing is permanently missable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerusalem posted:

Thank you everybody for the replies, and particularly for this one which is a HUGE weight off my completionist mind:

During act 2 there's a mini-story that isn't marked anywhere and the rewards aren't exclusive but it involves finding girls for the mini medal academy and once you move to act 3 you can't do that plot anymore