Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well there goes my ability to watch Pistons games, probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There’s literally no legal way to watch the Pirates in Columbus, Ohio, unless they’re playing the Reds or Indians.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
They're going to force us back to the cable companies in the end.

Fox RSNs are still available on Hulu but for how long?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Unless stand alone internet service gets significantly cheaper, it would be cheaper for me to just get TV and internet bundled than get just internet and purchase a live TV streaming package like YouTube, or Hulu. I think Sling is just barely worth it, but last time I used it the service was awful. Stream would glitch out or not work constantly. I cancelled after a few months.

The only advantage to cord cutting right now is that the streaming services let you cancel anytime, unlike cable that usually locks you in to contracts.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Living in Columbus isn't great for MLB coverage because the Reds, Indians, and Pirates are all blacked out (I guess I can understand the two Ohio teams, even though I think they should have to pick one, but Pittsburgh?), but there are a few cities that have it way worse. The streaming services that carry Sportstime Ohio/Fox Sports Ohio all keep getting more expensive so I think this will be the first summer I try to follow the Reds just using the radio and my HD antenna.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

There’s literally no legal way to watch the Pirates in Columbus, Ohio, unless they’re playing the Reds or Indians.

Is this a bad thing?

My mother just did the cord cutting thing and is saving about $50/mo over verizon bundle with fios and youtube tv. Although ymmv with packages obviously. And she's about to snap and get some sort of package with the History Channel because she can't live without the loving curse of oak island.

This has nothing to do with sports packages I just really needed to complain about that somewhere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is this a bad thing?

My mother just did the cord cutting thing and is saving about $50/mo over verizon bundle with fios and youtube tv. Although ymmv with packages obviously. And she's about to snap and get some sort of package with the History Channel because she can't live without the loving curse of oak island.

This has nothing to do with sports packages I just really needed to complain about that somewhere.

I've probably told this story before, but my dad wanted to cut the cord, so I did some research. It turned out that with all the different channels he demanded to have, cable was the cheaper option. In addition, no OTT provider offers PBS, LHN, AND Fox Sports Southwest, so that shutters things.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Edward Mass posted:

I've probably told this story before, but my dad wanted to cut the cord, so I did some research. It turned out that with all the different channels he demanded to have, cable was the cheaper option. In addition, no OTT provider offers PBS, LHN, AND Fox Sports Southwest, so that shutters things.

it’s always insane to me that there are shows people refuse to live without AND won’t pirate

i get not wanting to deal with streams for sports (they’re better now but i also grew up in the era of 240p and four banner ads laid over the screen) but for all non-live content it’s worth the (extremely minor) hassle of having to download a show or two

i also don’t really get wanting channels so that some programming exec can tell you what you watch and when but i guess that’s the generational gap

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
we finally found someone who watches Longhorn Network

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Peanut President posted:

My dad is pretty much the target demographic ESPN was looking for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

it shows the 05 NCG like four times a week and that was a very good game

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Declan MacManus posted:

i also don’t really get wanting channels so that some programming exec can tell you what you watch and when but i guess that’s the generational gap

Curating everything I want to watch is basically work. Also it makes it harder to discover new things.

Same reason I prefer Pandora/radio to making my own playlists all the time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1233558770451714048

e: this is a lot

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1233558091934978050

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

17 million ?!?????

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Hopefully Nantz retires soon, Romo is too good to be shackled to that turd.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Traxis posted:

Hopefully Nantz retires soon, Romo is too good to be shackled to that turd.

What? Nantz is really good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's more than he made in all but 3 seasons as a player, goddamn. Good for him.

Metapod posted:

What? Nantz is really good

He sucked with Sims but working with Romo had made him way better. Still lovely for basketball though.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

That's more than he made in all but 3 seasons as a player, goddamn. Good for him.

To be fair he was a good qb but he's a better announcer.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1233766088426639362

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hachi machi that’s a 9 figure deal for an announcer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
romo is incredibly good, good for him

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Being the best color commentator in decades worked out pretty well for Romo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Unless stand alone internet service gets significantly cheaper, it would be cheaper for me to just get TV and internet bundled than get just internet and purchase a live TV streaming package like YouTube, or Hulu. I think Sling is just barely worth it, but last time I used it the service was awful. Stream would glitch out or not work constantly. I cancelled after a few months.

The only advantage to cord cutting right now is that the streaming services let you cancel anytime, unlike cable that usually locks you in to contracts.

At some point a league has to get smart and realize no one under 35 is paying for cable. I would think that would be baseball that is slowly watching their audience die off, but I guess not.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
One thing I really like about Romo is that he's not sanctimonious, like at all. he's very fun to listen to and lightens the tone of the game. it's amazing that listening to a loving jim nantz game is now like the least sanctimonious broadcast in the league

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Niwrad posted:

At some point a league has to get smart and realize no one under 35 is paying for cable. I would think that would be baseball that is slowly watching their audience die off, but I guess not.

Except MLB.tv’s streaming offering is consistently high quality in terms of technology and support for various devices, proper pricing, and is granular enough that this PNW dwelling cursed Mets fan is okay with whatever they just charged me for another year of streaming my team losing.

Like, I’ll stan forever for MotoGP’s streaming service, because it continues to be the gold standard, but MLB is a surprisingly close competitor.

Also MLB’s public API is super fun to play with if that’s your kind of thing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

One thing I really like about Romo is that he's not sanctimonious, like at all. he's very fun to listen to and lightens the tone of the game. it's amazing that listening to a loving jim nantz game is now like the least sanctimonious broadcast in the league

He threads that needle of being informative, welcoming, and fun. There's a reason the only real comparison is Madden even if they're very different.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

MLB.tv is great if you live out of market. If you're in market you're screwed. I'm not going to rig up proxies etc to watch the loving Mariners. Talk about cursed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I have a co-worker who lives about two hours outside of Chicago and gets the MLB network, but he constantly bitches about certain games getting blacked out. Now how that changes with Marquee network this year, I don't know. MLB needs to just make it so if you sign up, you get all the games no matter what. It is completely pointless to sign up if your favorite team is always going to be blacked out. The thing is $25/mo, it's a huge expense to not be guaranteed to see your team.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Elitist Bitch posted:

MLB.tv is great if you live out of market. If you're in market you're screwed. I'm not going to rig up proxies etc to watch the loving Mariners. Talk about cursed.

Ugh, yeah, I like that I live on the opposite coast from my dumb team.

You have NO idea how salty I was when I went to load up a Timbers/Sounders match in Seattle and my TV geolocked me out of it. Actually, you probably do...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Yea, I have a co-worker who lives about two hours outside of Chicago and gets the MLB network, but he constantly bitches about certain games getting blacked out. Now how that changes with Marquee network this year, I don't know. MLB needs to just make it so if you sign up, you get all the games no matter what. It is completely pointless to sign up if your favorite team is always going to be blacked out. The thing is $25/mo, it's a huge expense to not be guaranteed to see your team.

MLB.tv is designed for out-of-towners, not in-towners.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Except MLB.tv’s streaming offering is consistently high quality in terms of technology and support for various devices, proper pricing, and is granular enough that this PNW dwelling cursed Mets fan is okay with whatever they just charged me for another year of streaming my team losing.

Like, I’ll stan forever for MotoGP’s streaming service, because it continues to be the gold standard, but MLB is a surprisingly close competitor.

Also MLB’s public API is super fun to play with if that’s your kind of thing.

I'm talking about the blackout rules. I can't watch the Cubs in Chicago unless I have one of the few cable providers that carry their network. They'll blackout Cubs games on MLB.tv here and within like 3-4 hours of the city.

Leagues need to find a way to allow people under 35 to stream their local team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm in downstate Illinois and I can't watch Cubs on MLB TV

Blackout rules loving suck.

Guess I'm watching the Sox now

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

I'm talking about the blackout rules. I can't watch the Cubs in Chicago unless I have one of the few cable providers that carry their network. They'll blackout Cubs games on MLB.tv here and within like 3-4 hours of the city.

give it a few more years and the cord cutting bubble will burst and there'll be alliance of bundled streaming services offered by larger conglomerates who can use their subscriber base to negotiate carriage agreements

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Niwrad posted:

What you’re thinking of will never happen, and even if it did, it would be, like, $30/month to offset costs of not having a provider.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Considering there are people paying $25/month for it now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a market at $30/mo if it meant no blackouts ever.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Considering there are people paying $25/month for it now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a market at $30/mo if it meant no blackouts ever.

No, I mean $30/month just for your local team's games.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Way higher.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, my $30/month wouldn’t include games on ESPN, FS1, or TBS, because those are national games.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

What you’re thinking of will never happen, and even if it did, it would be, like, $30/month to offset costs of not having a provider.

I'm sure someone would rather pay an extra few bucks a month to watch their hometown team than have to sign up for a $100 cable package they don't want.

Also losing a little bit of money in the short term seems OK if it means you actually get young people to watch your sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Except that you'd only be able to watch the playoffs with cable, and keep in mind that Fox Corporation has gone all-in with traditional television distribution.