Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol at einar managing all that crap and getting murdered by some idiot goons who thought he'd be dumb enough to make a map, it's thematically very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Pretty upset Amerius blew up that chest of scrolls. I mean, we could've picked the lock because we're not impatient or rock stupid.

Is it possible to kill Uncle Milty or does he use his insanely high luck score to get out of it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can absolutely kill Militiades in the first encounter with him. It ends the quest line and you get way less stuff and EXP overall.

You also find out he had more money than he told Octavia he had, though; so much for 'this is all I've got'.

E: Also, if you walk away from him on this second encounter when he tells you to kill the old man, the game tells you you're a good person and that was the right move. But it also tells you you're a good person who doesn't have 2000 Imperials.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Can we come back to that place later with higher lore and find out something more?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Kacie posted:

Can we come back to that place later with higher lore and find out something more?

Yep.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm sure we'll get a chance to ruin Miltiades' life. Some guy named Suspicio will ask us if we want to make a quick 10 Imperials and one thing will lead to another.

Speculation time, did the Abyss get created by one of the god people created within it? They wanted free, summoned a big rock, and then crawled out of the crater when they were done.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm sure we'll get a chance to ruin Miltiades' life. Some guy named Suspicio will ask us if we want to make a quick 10 Imperials and one thing will lead to another.

Speculation time, did the Abyss get created by one of the god people created within it? They wanted free, summoned a big rock, and then crawled out of the crater when they were done.

I don't think so, considering the one in there is still trapped.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

the bottom of the abyss is, regardless of how you resolve it, probably my favourite little vignette in the entire game

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
oh an interesting little bug - if you decide you dont really want to fight harmon and his loving cheating band of fuckers, you can actually aggro mehrab (the guys you killed) and drag them all the way across the slums past harmon, and because youre in a fight the event doesnt trigger. and then from there you can fast travel to the next zone whenever you want, and kill harmon as you please

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XIX: Please stop talking

After our discovery at the bottom of the Abyss, we need a well-earned break at the Arena.

First up is this pair of Ordu.

They're not too hard, but it's getting to the point where you need a pretty high dodge/block skill to survive these encounters, plus my damage output is being minimized by heavy armor. Hopefully I can get some better weapons soon.

Still, it's no fuss to kill these guys.

We're rewarded with a new rank: Executioner! On to the next victim.

The Butcher, indeed, hits like a freight train, but our armor is tough enough to withstand it. I'm using the scimitar for higher damage.

No problem.

Mack is a tough fight, so we'll put him on hold for now.

Instead, we're going to the Slums to fight an absolute motherfucker: Hermon.

: I'll pay.

: 1,000 imperials for passing through?

I don't care for your attitude, sir!

: gently caress off. That's your first and final warning.

There are a few things to know about this fight: First, coming in with under 8 in block/dodge is suicidal. Second, poison, sharpening stones, and bombs are essential. Third, patience is key. Fourth, the outcome is dependent mostly on luck.

Get ready for a lot of savescumming, because this fight is hard. The arena opponents so far look like child's play compared to this poo poo. Hermon is the primary target here, because he will try to damage your armor, and if that happens, his buddies will pick you off in no time. By the way, if the fight begins and you don't go first? Reload an earlier save and try again, because you're not winning.

My strategy (such as it is), is to crit strike Hermon with a bomb so he gets knocked off his feet, then attack him and hopefully inflict bleed/poison so he dies within the next turn. If you're lucky, you can kill him outright. Usually, I'm not so lucky. Oh, and if you don't crit Hermon with the bomb? Reload a save, because you're not winning.

Even with Hermon dead, it's still a beast of an encounter. His friends will cripple you, crit you, entangle you with nets, hit you with bleeding, and so on. Bring healing salves.

This is from one of my more successful attempts. I dodged attacks four times in a row, only for the archer to kill me on the next turn. Fuckers.

After the eighth attempt to kill these guys, I pull out the scimitar. One good thing about two-handed weapons, besides the increased damage, is you can hit opponents that are diagonally opposite of you. I don't know why this isn't possible with one-handed weapons, but whatever.

I can't stress how important luck is here. After hitting a wall with this group, suddenly everything clicked. My dodges were on point, my armor stayed intact, the enemies were less aggressive -- it's like the universe took pity on me.

loving. FINALLY.

Death Count: 37 (If we're counting reloads as deaths, it's more like 67, but gently caress that.)

Oh hey, it's Neros's place. We have a package for him.

: I have a package for you. You owe me 3,000 imperials.

Great, now I have to worry about the loving Unabomber.

You have no idea.

: Do you really think that I'd try to blow up your boss while standing next to him? I got played, but if you help me find the fucker, I promise that he'll pay for this.

Before we exact revenge, there's one more area of Maadoran to explore.

: What's this area?

: How did you end up here?

We'll see more of Clemens later.

The temple area has some merchants and the Forty Thieves HQ. Other than that, there's not much here.

Time for a house call.

Man, you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Uh, no?

: He killed a man and almost got me killed.

: And if I don't see it this way?

You know what I hate more than nearly dying from an explosion? Stuck-up nobles.

: Justice must be served!

Let's gtfo.

Before going to Harran's Pass, let's check out Inferiae -- which has a big Eye of Horus?

Nothing strange about this place, no sir.

Old crone? Check.

: So, this is your garden?

I get the feeling she doesn't like us.

: It holds answers to many questions.

: Tell me about the relics.

: You mentioned wisdom? Or was it fear?

: What's wrong with hope?

: Not everyone needs a selfish reason to help someone. Being able to is the only reason they need. They've helped us once, they can do it again!

Maybe she has a point.

: You seem to know a lot about the town life for someone who lives in the middle of nowhere.

gently caress. Hang on...

: Water? In the desert?

: It seems you've adapted well to the desert.

: The sacrifice?

I hope she's talking about goats and such.

Hmm.

: I'll take my chances.

This conversation unfolds in a few different ways. If you choose certain options (specifically, the "it's a small price to pay for their help" option) and have high Persuade, you can convince Azra to reveal the location of the temple and how to get there. Some choices will let you leave the village safely. Otherwise, it ends like this:

We've made our choice; now we endure the consequences.

Ah. She wasn't talking about goats.

DEMON!

Let's go say hi.

: Why do you kill intruders?

: Wait! What if your master comes back? You won't kill him, would you?

Ha! This creature can't comprehend my unassailable logic!

drat it.

The Guardian (as it's called) looks imposing, but compared to Hermon it's like crushing an ant. It has high defense and HP and attacks twice in one turn, but other than that...

The Guardian crumbles to pieces on defeat.

We receive its core as a reward.

We could get out the way we came in, but we haven't seen the rest of this place.

Downstairs, we find what appears to be a tiny star floating in a chamber. Compared to what we've seen, this is practically mundane.

Always, always tamper with strange devices.

It works! No idea what this does, though.

Ah, it powers a portal. Of course.

We're back in Maadoran.

We can likely use this in the chamber connected to the well. That's for another time.

The message is hastily written; many words are smudged or faded. The magus was dying from wounds sustained during the attack on his tower, so clarity wasn't at the top of his priorities.

"Balzaar attacked... has fallen. He's too powerful. I couldn't stop him. All my defenses... He's coming for you... You must do it before it's too late. Don't hesitate for the price we have already paid is too great. ...wait any longer, there will be nothing left."

Balzaar? Is that the Balzurath the storyteller talked about?

Next to the dead magus is this glove. No idea what it's used for, but hey, free artifact.

The elevator takes us outside.

Guess we should deal with the Ordu problem Gaelius has.

gently caress the police Imperial Guards.

: What business is that of yours?

poo poo

: Wait!

: I'm a loremaster. A trader told me that he saw some ruins a few days northeast from here. I want to get there before anyone else does.

Gee, thanks.

Ugh, stuck in an encampment with a bunch of meatheads.

Who? Me?

He has another ancient Nintendo power glove. We don't need a second one, but I'm buying it anyway because of what he offers next.

Power modules! Yes, please.

: Tell me about the Ordu.

: Tell me about the elements.

: Tell me about the mutations.

Sounds lovely.

I talk to the quartermaster and buy some sharpening stones. That's all of note here.

We're going to wait until dark and then sneak out.

Run!

We made it. Looks like your typical nomadic settlement.

Friendly folk.

Next to the khan's yurt -- excuse me, ger, is this lady.

: Yes. I have many questions.

Get ready for a lore dump.

: Who are you?

What's with these harsh ritual punishments? How about a pat on the back and a "Better luck next time"?

: Tngri?

Blah blah blah, our people are so awesome, blah blah.

: Did this Tngri ever have a name?

Nope, never heard of him.

Pay attention to this next part.

: This shaman Adad, who was he?

: What happened to these seven Tngri?

Enough story time. We have a mission to accomplish.

Probably shouldn't piss this guy off.

: It's waiting for you in Maadoran.

: Can't you do something about it?

: What else can convince your men?

: Why does Belgutai oppose you?

: Bolad?

: Was anyone else ever honored?

: Who was that shaman?

: Hadad? Abu Hassan Ibn Hadad? The Magus?

Yes, it turns out it was Ibn Hadad all along -- which makes the tale about binding Tngri into human bodies much more relevant.

No, I think you'll find the shaman was more than a messenger.

: How long ago was it?

: What do your stories say about the Great War?

gently caress me, we're full of questions today.

: Do your stories say anything about the Qantari?

: Why did you accept Gaelius' offer?

: You speak our language well.

Thank god we can get out of this conversation. For a people that don't like outsiders, the Ordu are a chatty bunch.

Time to deal with Mr. Grumpy Pants.

: They say you're the best. I have a mind to test it.

Belgutai isn't a pushover. He's quick, hits hard, and likes to inflict Bleed. He can take you to 0 HP in seconds.

Imagine my surprise when I killed him on my first try. He has a really nice shamshir I'll be using for the time being.

: Belgutai is dead. I killed him.

Sexist! :mad:

If we take Thorgul's offer, we end up fighting a bunch of reinforcements, so gently caress that.

: It would take too long. Bass has probably fortified the pass by now and sent for reinforcements. If they arrive, we will be stuck at the pass.

Saying no gives us the same outcome as staying and partying, so...

: Yes, I think so.

: How do you know about these crates?

: Alright, I'll do it.

Predictable.

We're trapped in a small room surrounded by Imperial Guards. Despite that, this fight wouldn't be so hard if it weren't for one thing.

That goddamned archer.

The three melee enemies can be handled fairly quickly at this point, but that loving archer will stand there, arrows dealing double digit damage every turn until you're dead, and then he'll give you his little archer smirk, satisfied because he killed you with a loving bow. I hate that bastard.

Death Count: 42

I use bombs liberally here. I hate wasting them, but in this situation it's the best strategy.

Thanks, Thorgul.

Give me a loving palace, Gaelius. I earned it.

Gaelius is :agesilaus: personified at this point.

: Zamedi?

: How did the tower survive the attack?

: Is it safe now?

I dunno, Gaelius. We've found things that would surprise you.

This object will get us into Zamedi, which is where we're going in the next update!

Next Time: Revelations at Zamedi

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can also convince Belugati if you're a good talker by telling him this is like Adad asking for Bolad.

Also yes, that loving archer is absolutely the main problem in that fight. Archers, crossbowmen, and throwing weapon enemies tend to be the most dangerous. And loving nets, man. Nets will take 6 AP off your turn, while debuffing your defenses, and they don't have to roll to entangle you; they just roll to see if they gently caress you for 1 round or 2. Nets are the weapon of dicks and every battle that has net enemies instantly becomes more difficult. Nets are the supreme 'better for the enemy than the player' weapon because they can take advantage of you being netted to dogpile you while if you net an enemy, it helps a lot against that one guy for a time but the action economy isn't as in your favor to take advantage of the defense penalty.

At a certain level of Dodge, it actually becomes a good idea to use the special Ordu armor you can buy in Maadoran that has 0 Defense Penalty. I was rocking that most of the game on my killmaster two-handed axe playthrough, though that character had the advantage of getting all the Imperial Guard training.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

for the hermon fight you can also (if you start first) drag them to the left a bit to a doorway and fight them 1v1 + the ranged guys which is a little easier to survive. but yeah gently caress that guy

edit: nets suck but fights where someone has a bola are downright bullshit

can you post your stats from time to time?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 4, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least a bolas can actually miss.

Granted if it hits you in the neck you're done, reload now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hadad sounds like a Magi Nick Fury, travelling the land to find recruits for the [s]Avenger[s] Stick-Gods-In-You Initiative

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Verviticus posted:

can you post your stats from time to time?

Here you go!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

rudecyrus posted:

Here you go!

Those are some beefy combat stats (or rather skills) right there!

About what my pure combat 4int 4cha merc had at the end of the game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

holy crap i did not realize darius' armor was so heavy

Private Speech posted:

Those are some beefy combat stats (or rather skills) right there!

About what my pure combat 4int 4cha merc had at the end of the game.

there is an insane amount of skill point min-maxing you can accomplish in this game, like a lot of the skills you get to 4 or 6 can almost pay for themselves. trading certainly does, sneak/steal/lockpick do as well

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lore does a good job of paying for itself mostly to 8. Lore 8 is about what you need to get almost everything you're going to get out of Lore and a bunch of things you do with Lore earn you SP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The more updates we get into, the more I feel we're heading this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tg2hHvxaaI

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XX: Never trust a wizard

Since we're a praetor, we're allowed access to the third floor to see Erebus, Gaelius's loremaster. What a waste of floor space.

We have many questions.

: What can you tell me about the War?

: What do you know about the gods and demons who fought in the war?

: So, the Empire stood for more than a thousand years, yet there is not a single record of otherwordly beings, gods or demons. Then the Qantari came and at the drop of a hat we summon "gods" to aid us in battle as if it's something one always does in times of crisis.

: And yet the war started before the fleet came. Why would a few ships attack us, knowing full well that they don't stand a chance?

: I'd be more interested to learn how "a few scout ships" managed to hold their own against the Empire for a year.

Basically, much of what the records say doesn't pass the smell test.

: Why did the Empire fall?

I like Erebus's description of why empires rise and fall.

: Why is Gaelius so afraid of the artifacts?

We saw one of those warnings (kind of) in the hidden room under Saross.

: I have some artifacts I'd like you to look at.

We can only show him the Jellyfish artifact.

So it's some sort of key. Good to know.

: Is there anything you can teach me?

A boost in Etiquette. At least we know which fork to use when eating salad now.

Speaking of showing our stuff to loremasters...

The metal glove is used to manipulate machines from other realms. Okay then! The part about needing to see the other realms seems important.

If we show Abukar the reliquary, he pisses his pants and yells at us to get out, so we do.

We're going on our second trip to Zamedi. Hopefully, the artifact Gaelius gave us will do something about the force field.

It works! Side note: the demon core we picked up from the dead Guardian does the same thing.

It's good to see stone demons amuse themselves by reading.

: Dispose?

With a Streetwise of 5, we can sense the Guardian is fibbing about the treasure.

: What makes you think you can kill me?

Don't fight this Guardian. Unlike its counterpart in Inferiae, this one is fully functional and will slice us to ribbons in seconds.

: What do you need?

Find ring, bring it back. Simple.

This looks exactly like the strange chamber under Inferiae.

: How will I get back?

: Wait, I'm not sure about this.

oh poo poo run

Made it. Let's look around.

Mass distribution... gravitational wells... voids, charted and uncharted... low-density space... physical evidence... cognitive dissonance... universal mechanism...

Ferrous and non-ferrous extractive metallurgy... pyrometallurgy... thermal treatment... energy output variations... sustainable temperatures and proposed solutions...

Forms of energy... laws of conservation... conversion of electromagnetic radiation to thermal energy... a treatise on dispersion, dissipation, and absorption... solar-thermal collectors...

I don't understand any of this! :downs:

Finally, something I can really use.

Yet another artifact we don't know how to use. Par for the course.

Besides a chest full of alchemical ingredients, there's nothing else of note. Time to go upstairs.

The windows contain energy fields instead of glass, because Magi are just too good for silica.

We'll figure that out soon.

Let's examine the image first.

Probably not a good thing. On the bright side, we have some leverage over the Guardian.

Time to figure out how this contraption works.

poo poo!

You need an Intelligence above 7 and an absurd level of 10 in Lore to figure out this thing.

First up: the portal network.

We can teleport to two places, one of which (the ziggurat) is the endgame. We'll visit both locations later, so we're not using the network.

Looking for more information on the Gods yields something far more interesting.

Okay, not immediately, but trust me. Let's start by looking up info on the war.

It was very, very bad. Next query:

We finally meet Abu Hassan, albeit not in the flesh. By the way, I like that al-Sarabi means "the mirage." Sums him up nicely.

These recording are a plot bombshell. I''ll admit I was pretty staggered when I discovered them.

Might that scroll be the one we found with the surgical tools?

Balzaar again. Something tells me this ended up being another poor decision.

I was right!

Agathoth? Thor-Agoth?

Time to go back to the Guardian.

Not so fast.

: I know what the ring does.

: You mentioned treasure?

Thought as much.

: I'll trade you the ring for some answers.

: Are you a living thing? A mechanism? A magical construct?

This Guardian is one sarcastic construct.

: Your appearance is... unusual.

: Why were you created?

: What happened to your master?

:psyduck:

: What happened to Zamedi?

That's one mystery solved.

We can assume the other magus in the recordings was Marcus Domitius.

You're really pushing it, dude. Just because you're a superior life form doesn't mean I'm going to take poo poo from you.

: Given bodies? Human bodies? I don't understand, don't the gods have their own bodies?

: Were the Magi really trying to create gods?

: Whose bodies were they given?

: How many gods did they bring?

Pretty sure we're not wrong. Plus, Abu Hassan said "We lost two more. Now we are three against four."

: So, the gods were here before the war?

To sum up: The Magi were transferring the essence of extradimensional cosmic beings of immense power into human bodies and containing them with wards. At some point, the wards fail, the gods take over the vessels and start nuking cities (as an Elder God would do if one attempted to trap it), although it seems a few remained somewhat human judging by the "three against four" comment. The Qantari attack and the apocalypse kicks off. From the recordings, we can gather Balzaar, one of the god-things, eventually betrayed the Magi and had to be put down -- remember the story about Abu Hassan defeating Balzurath? With the help of Thor-Agoth/Agathoth, the "demons" are defeated.

According to the Guardian, the Qantari Servants first made contact with the otherwordly entities and convinced the Magi to use their technology to bring the things here. Something happened, presumably the whole "wards failed" thing, the Magi blame the Qantari and attack, which sets off a war.

In other words, this is all the fault of a bunch of bickering wizards. Never trust a wizard.

Two questions remain: what's at Al-Akia, and what happened to Agathoth?

Well, you were helpful...

Surprisingly, the Guardian doesn't rip our head off. It just leaves.

There's some stuff to find downstairs.

Eh, why not?

That's a loving rifle.

Never mind the rifle, we've got a big sword! :v:

The Bolter is arguably the best "crossbow" (it's classified as such) in the game. It uses only 1 AP to fire, so if you have high DEX and a high crossbow skill, you can run around the map and poo poo on your foes at range.

Let's get out of here.

Okay, maybe I didn't think the whole "let the giant construct roam free" thing through.

: About the tower...

: There was a demon, but it escaped.

: The demon said it was created by the Magi.

I suppose the Guardian could have been lying, but the recordings corroborate its story.

: Many strange and wondrous things.

: Perhaps it's not too late to start reclaiming the lost knowledge.

Erebus has a point. Knowing what we know, do we really want the possibility of someone imitating Abu Hassan?

Meru got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, so Gaelius is giving him a hard spanking.

: His transformation?

Judging by what we've heard, Meru is a true believer.

: What would stop Meru from killing me on the spot?

: It's not what I meant.

For gently caress's sake.

: You'll be seen as a conqueror, not as a savior.

: Some would say House Aurelian owes its good fortune to the fact that when the Empire fell, your House grabbed the best and biggest slice of the pie. It's much easier to do well when you control the largest and richest city.

: I've heard that House Daratan stayed behind and held the line to give other Houses enough time to withdraw.

Gaelius doesn't give a gently caress about ancient history!

I'll admit I have a bit more respect for House Daratan now. It's too bad Antidas is all that's left.

: Didn't Maadoran belong to House Calani?

After upping our Lore skill, let's see if we can read the scroll from Antidas's collection.

It's a mantra to persuade air elementals to pull a flying chariot. Naturally.

There's one more place to go in this update: The Abyss. Remember those scrolls we couldn't decipher?

The creature is the result of the binding process. Considering the flashbacks it showed us, Galath was chosen to receive the Gift (read: having an unknown entity grafted into your body), but the "other" (Athazor) escaped, leaving Galath like this. Whatever he, or it, is now is extremely dangerous.

So let's gently caress around with the console!

Of course we're going to power it up.

It's fine.

This is fine.

Uh...

What did you expect would happen?

If you have a CON below 6, you die in the explosion. Reload!

Good riddance, honestly.

The Abyss is now just a giant hole.

You kill a god and people bitch at you for it. Where's the gratitude?

: I'm sorry.

: A creature floating in a tank. I think it was a man once...

Sigh...

Next Time: Finishing up Maadoran

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 1, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's basically in theme that House Daratan bravely sacrificed its own good to save the world in a completely necessary action, while the House that hid at the back marshaled its forces and took advantage of the crisis to get the biggest slice it could in the collapse. But at the same time, if Daratan hadn't done that, there wouldn't have been a pie to slice. So it's actually hard to say they were foolish, isn't it?

I also adore that Abu Hassan did actually learn from his mistakes. Eventually. I always got the sense from the stories about him that his own adventure with the war and the nightmare that got unleashed would have made a heck of a CRPG, too.

The 'uncovering ancient history' aspect of the game is really fun.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You got a couple of broken IMG tags there.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

By popular demand posted:

You got a couple of broken IMG tags there.

Thanks. Fixed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Gaelius sure does put up with a lot of sass from you in that line of questioning.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I guess Hassan learned but he couldn't change his path at that point and it doesn't seem like it ended well.

I was curious why the text accorded so much respect to Antidas in the Imperial Guard kill him slides. Makes sense now.

Is the sword any good?

I assume that the robot/golem chooses death rather than be your slave if you figure out how to control the rings.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

even though your character isnt smart or charismatic enough to see a lot of these things i do appreciate that you're just bumping your stats up to see them to get the full picture in a single playthrough. at the end of the day you can do this with less str or dex and just make it harder on yourself but why bother suffering that much

Hypocrisy posted:

I guess Hassan learned but he couldn't change his path at that point and it doesn't seem like it ended well.

I was curious why the text accorded so much respect to Antidas in the Imperial Guard kill him slides. Makes sense now.

Is the sword any good?

I assume that the robot/golem chooses death rather than be your slave if you figure out how to control the rings.

you cant enslave the construct but you can gently caress it up and get some sky metal swords which is what i thought he would do. all of the unique 2h swords suck fuckin rear end; this one has extremely high "weapon hardness" which means it damages armor more often, but i think back in 2012 or something it meant armor penetration

i think its not obvious from the way you presented it, but for those who havent played the game: if you blow up madoraan in the abyss you actually survive and can continue through the rest of the game just with uh, a part of it missing

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 10, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Weapon Hardness is 100% the single least useful stat on a weapon, since it's a variable chance to reduce enemy DR slightly. It's much more useful for the enemy to annoy you with than for you to actually kill the enemy with, again, since you're usually outnumbered. Damage is self-evident in how useful it is, Critical Strike chance is helpful, Passive is very helpful depending on the weapon and its Passive, but Weapon Hardness is 'lol'.

High damage and skill actually makes Whirlwind attacks worthwhile. Everything you should be thinking of in combat is about how to reduce incoming fire; that might be by killing one of the enemies outright on your turn, it might be by herding them with firebombs, it might be nets, but every turn you need to be thinking 'how do I make less poo poo come at me'.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When Hadad says they've lost two and it's their three to a hostile four now, it might also mean that it was a five to two and two of his got turned or freed.

Also a total shame that you didn't inject the wards and then the god into yourself. It might not be possible for plenty of good reasons in regular play, but it would make for a pretty... something ending.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Weapon Hardness is 100% the single least useful stat on a weapon, since it's a variable chance to reduce enemy DR slightly. It's much more useful for the enemy to annoy you with than for you to actually kill the enemy with, again, since you're usually outnumbered. Damage is self-evident in how useful it is, Critical Strike chance is helpful, Passive is very helpful depending on the weapon and its Passive, but Weapon Hardness is 'lol'.

High damage and skill actually makes Whirlwind attacks worthwhile. Everything you should be thinking of in combat is about how to reduce incoming fire; that might be by killing one of the enemies outright on your turn, it might be by herding them with firebombs, it might be nets, but every turn you need to be thinking 'how do I make less poo poo come at me'.

yeah. im pretty sure passive chance % doesnt work on axes anymore, though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's excellent on swords, though. And on daggers it's basically just a +Crit Chance since the dagger passive is just +% to crit chance on targeted attacks, and you'll almost always be making targeted attacks and crit-fishing if you're a knife character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the 30 skill points gained before the entire world explodes

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rudecyrus posted:

: Why did the Empire fall?

I like Erebus's description of why empires rise and fall.

For an extensive rebuttal to Erebus, check here: https://acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

My knowledge of ancient history is poor, so thanks for the link.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
This is a really good link. The whole trope in fantasy of "Strong, morally pure barbarians will overrun our weak, decadent cities:swoon:" is pretty gross when you think about it for a bit, especially because it very often comes from the kind of people who use "weak and decadent" as a dogwhistle for allowing LGBT people basic rights, following due legal process, being multicultural, reading books...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As you point out, 'decadence' is mostly used as a code-word for 'not insanely repressive/reactionary enough'. To the point that I usually prefer to reserve decadence solely to refer to the qualities of a chocolate cake and not political matters. In this game, at least, I genuinely think it's more that this is Erebus's opinion than the authors' direct thesis, though. Every Loremaster has their own take on the past and none of them have the full picture.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
On this note, the game's title seems like it should probably be "Age of Decay" tbh

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Night10194 posted:

As you point out, 'decadence' is mostly used as a code-word for 'not insanely repressive/reactionary enough'. To the point that I usually prefer to reserve decadence solely to refer to the qualities of a chocolate cake and not political matters. In this game, at least, I genuinely think it's more that this is Erebus's opinion than the authors' direct thesis, though. Every Loremaster has their own take on the past and none of them have the full picture.

Yeah, Erebus' theory is handily proven wrong by the fact that the golden age ended because some hard, strong men got a little to hard about it and made a series of poor decisions, although Hadad wasn't hard through it, because he understood that things had gone to poo poo. It's hubris, not unwillingness to hurt others, that did the old empire in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's a bunch of stuff in this game that defies expectations and it's one reason I did all the playthroughs to see most of the sides of the story. It's generally a much more interesting story than I expected going in and seeing the 'grimdark' element. Similar for the gameplay; when they were all 'we're so hardcore' it originally warned me off playing because I was thinking 'gently caress, this is going to be like those oldschool RPGs where everything breaks your weapons and has tons of status effects' like the last 'hardcore' RPG I tried, Inquisitor. Which was a huge slogging grind in gameplay. But instead there's absolutely no 'random' encounters, combat just kills the poo poo out of you unless you're consciously good at combat and even then you want to avoid some of it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
That link also confirms people have complained about "kids these days" at least since the invention of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

To be fair, the progenitor \ popularizer of our notion of "Rome feel because it was weak and decadent" specifically blamed the spread of Christianity.

It's kind of weird that this version of Rome apparently has no gods or demons aside from the lovecraftian horrors summoned during the war.