Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Jesus Christ they’re dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What the gently caress were they thinking? Of course it's an obvious "direct infringement," I spent a moment thinking "oh no, the creator of Space Ghost is a complete loving CHUD" because it was so obviously derived from Space Ghost.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're not only using barely altered models they're also using a name that seems designed to cause confusion.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Vincent posted:

I think Edge & Christian once posted a list with numbers, but not only cape comics were on the rise (sales wise) young and early reader comics and graphic novels sell a ton.
I think Raina Tagemeier is either the top comic author or the top GN author of the 12 - 16 crowd.

Oh yeah comics as a whole are going gangbusters, I was just thinking in particular about "Big" two stuff. In particular Brian Hibbs's colums, like https://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-276-a-leak-a-rosetta-stone-and-one-path-forward/ and his annual bookscan reports : https://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-274-looking-at-bookscan-for-2018/ (it's not the direct market, but...)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alaois posted:

short answer, no

long answer, no idiot

i realize that you have some bizarre grudge against me that means you have to start screaming and making GBS threads everywhere whenever i make a post that even slightly gives you room to drop an own, but

at a glance, the revenue of the entire American comics industry in 2018 was a little over a billion dollars. that's counting Marvel, DC, and indies (not sure if it's counting Scholastic etc or just companies that work with Diamond).

by comparison, Infinity War, released the same year, made a little over 2 bil in just box office returns, by itself. that's one movie and it made twice as much money as the entire loving print comics industry before it even hit blu-ray.

is there actually some missing piece of the puzzle here, or are you just being an asshat? because it really looks to me like the comics companies themselves barely register as a line item on the revenue sheet and effectively don't matter, and 95% of their importance to the parent companies is that they can mine IP from them for things that are much bigger deals.

e: ordinarily I wouldn't die on this hill, but one, it seems to not only be true but self-evident, and two, I'm getting pretty generally tired of your poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 1, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

They're not only using barely altered models they're also using a name that seems designed to cause confusion.

Check out my completely original character, Duperman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Basically the same joke I made.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1233932695064936451?s=19

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Alois and Lord of Booty, both of you step back and calm down. "No, idiot" isn't a solid rebuttal but going into a long derail about some grudge nobody cares about isn't a good way to respond to being called an idiot online.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OH MY GOD they just put glasses on Zorak.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

OH MY GOD they just put glasses on Zorak.

I'm pretty sure Zorak did that a few times in is Coast to Coast so this is just ultra lazy.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Oh man it gets worse:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1233992526983581696?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am irrationally angry that these chud CG fucks used one of my all-time favorite shows to try and peddle their bullshit :argh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They just flat out stole the music too?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That depends, did the music have a beard?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, animation from the same studio that did that joke episode for the Incredibles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am irrationally angry that these chud CG fucks used one of my all-time favorite shows to try and peddle their bullshit :argh:

Right there with you. Especially hearing Ethan's dull nasal tone coming out of Space Ghost's mouth ramble on about the minutiae of his day.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/MintinBoxReview/status/1234221093793206273

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 1, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm legitimately surprised he didn't double-down and go for the "parody is fair use" route but also Warner Brothers has some of the most absolutely vicious lawyers around so in addition to IGG immediately (and rightfully) deferring to WB's desires, they very likely found themselves down the barrel of a loaded gun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm betting IGG has a pretty iron clad "we can cancel anything for any reason" clause so they're only recourse would be suing WB directly for whatever hypothetical amount of money they think they would have got. WB would force them to spend an order of magnitude more on the law suit than they could hope to get and it's such an obvious loser of a case no competent lawyer would take it on a contingency basis.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

I'm betting IGG has a pretty iron clad "we can cancel anything for any reason" clause so they're only recourse would be suing WB directly for whatever hypothetical amount of money they think they would have got. WB would force them to spend an order of magnitude more on the law suit than they could hope to get and it's such an obvious loser of a case no competent lawyer would take it on a contingency basis.

So you're saying they should hire Ty Beard?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh, God. The fact Rooster Teeth is owned by WB is the reason they weren't involved in Ty's other lawsuit. It would like be a moth flying directly into the son. I would love to see it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

There's a theory that the reason Vic and Ty Beard didn't sue Rooster Teeth, who fired Vic before Funimation did, is because they're a TimeWarner subsidiary and didn't want to deal with those lawyers.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Hostile V posted:

I'm legitimately surprised he didn't double-down and go for the "parody is fair use" route but also Warner Brothers has some of the most absolutely vicious lawyers around so in addition to IGG immediately (and rightfully) deferring to WB's desires, they very likely found themselves down the barrel of a loaded gun.

The "creator" blocked his Twitter but he was saying that "he could have totally beat WB in court but it was too much trouble".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking? Of course it's an obvious "direct infringement," I spent a moment thinking "oh no, the creator of Space Ghost is a complete loving CHUD" because it was so obviously derived from Space Ghost.
Same.

For half a second I thought CN had released SG:C2C in digital or blu ray and then I took a closer look.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate mad:

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1235928163328327680?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And look who came to offer sympathy:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1235950342917033984

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
You're the REAL bigot for not working with bigots!!

https://twitter.com/Super__Crusader/status/1235951144628715523?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, I didn't know Christians all held identical views on everything.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder what he thinks a Crusader is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"Christians don't force anyone to live by christian standards"

Please see: Abortions, woman's rights, LGBTQ rights, the Crusades, the inquisition, history for the last 2000 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Christians are actually very famous for never trying to use the law to force people to live by their standards.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?"

-2 Cor 6:14-15

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
christians dont force anyone to live by their standards, except for right now, when im attempting to force you into living by my standard

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1236018396132601856?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's literally all Christians do, in my experience.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I wonder how Comicsgate will react to this one:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03/11/immortal-hulk-33-dr-charlene-mcgowan-trans-1972/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"so being trans gives you superpowers now stupid soyboy cuck etc etc"

Edit:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1237906884503486465

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 12, 2020

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
all they're doing is increasing engagement with an ad, which is exactly what the companies want when they put an ad on YouTube

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan has launched his next Battletoad book and the formula of "milking hundreds of dollars from a fan base of a few thousand die hards wanting to own the libs" continues to work, but only for Ethan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Ethan has launched his next Battletoad book and the formula of "milking hundreds of dollars from a fan base of a few thousand die hards wanting to own the libs" continues to work, but only for Ethan.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of his art, but he's just about the only competent artist doing these. Like the cyber frog stuff isn't good from what I've seen, but his DC was generally decent if a bit workmanlike (no idea how involved Jim Lee was with any individual books,but I wonder if having him for a boss affected it, or just having to collaborate with Geof Johns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

I'm a little surprised that more people haven't been successful with CG, I'd have thought that there were enough of them to support at least a handful of creators.