Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Emrikol posted:

I keep laughing at how Sequel clones all come pre-aged and hosed up in exactly the same ways as the originals.

If they were unblemished, then they wouldn't be clones, now would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Palpatine’s clone work is all just a prelim setup for Disney’s Star Wars Babies series, where Palpatine plays nanny to baby versions of the Star Wars cast.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Having a tank of similarly deformed snokes suggests that shev is ready to put a new one into use if something happens with the main one. The one that died in TLJ may not even be the first one. There's gotta be a room on a star destroyer somewhere where the backup snokes are playing poker waiting to be called up

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...I just realized we haven't had a new Star Wars Roll Out for three months

Guess we'll never see young Ben Solo like we were teased with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJZVUOUqz08

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Ingmar terdman posted:

Having a tank of similarly deformed snokes suggests that shev is ready to put a new one into use if something happens with the main one. The one that died in TLJ may not even be the first one. There's gotta be a room on a star destroyer somewhere where the backup snokes are playing poker waiting to be called up

You have to wonder how he'd go about inserting the new one back into the command structure.

I mean, yeah, sure, he got cut to pieces, and his throne room got wrecked, and then his flagship was destroyed, but he got better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just have him say something enigmatic about the Force, it's fine.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That would be a pretty sweet backstory for Snoke, if he'd gained followers by miraculously surviving impossible things, like in The Prestige or something. He emerges from behind the water tank and says it's his destiny to rule the galaxy and he cannot be stopped

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

...I just realized we haven't had a new Star Wars Roll Out for three months

Guess we'll never see young Ben Solo like we were teased with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJZVUOUqz08

BB-8 should have humanoid body in these

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OctoberCountry posted:

So no one actually has to watch that

It really is just a worse remake of Dark Empire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I bet I already know the answer to this, but does the novelization offer any evidence at the end that Palpatine is gone for good, for real this time?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's Star Wars though so we can't call it that

How about... snoker?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

I think the line "there are heroes on both sides" from the episode 3 opening crawl has generated more discussion in the last few weeks than The Rise Of Skywalker in its entirety has in the last few months

Sliding between threads to say that that's my favourite thing that's come from the prequeldome, inc. someone saying something along the lines of "nowhere in the prequels is it even hinted that there are heroes on both sides."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

josh04 posted:

Sliding between threads to say that that's my favourite thing that's come from the prequeldome, inc. someone saying something along the lines of "nowhere in the prequels is it even hinted that there are heroes on both sides."

Poggle the Lesser was a devout Christian and was personally opposed to slavery

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Count Dooku sought to elevate the Sith, Nute Gunray was driven by revenge, but Wat Tambor alone fought a war of conscience.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The techno-union are fighting for cyborg rights (I'm guessing)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The techno-union is participating because Dooku promised them help against Maz after the whole battle against the Republic wrapped up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Why would the Trade Federation want to block trade?" is one the spectacularly dumb bits in the Plinkett videos.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Blood Boils posted:

The techno-union are fighting for cyborg rights (I'm guessing)

The techno union is fighting for the rights to OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ

https://youtu.be/PW4OIHDsWsM

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HaitianDivorce posted:

It's Star Wars though so we can't call it that

How about... snoker?

Snooker exists

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I can't believe Mike from RLM was almost right about Palpatine in the prequels being a clone. It's even worse the other way around though lol.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's not pretend cheap tie-in novelisations "reveal" anything about the films.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
TLJ "revealed" a bunch of things about Snoke... which the next movie then retconned. :shrug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Horizon Burning posted:

TLJ "revealed" a bunch of things about Snoke... which the next movie then retconned. :shrug:

actually I'm not sure TLJ revealed anything about snoke, other than his flair for fashion

well and his guts I suppose.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

actually I'm not sure TLJ revealed anything about snoke, other than his flair for fashion

It revealed that he was a moron

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It was revealed that he was not, in fact, a giant. Missed opportunity imo

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Why would the Trade Federation want to block trade?" is one the spectacularly dumb bits in the Plinkett videos.

Why is that a dumb question? Why DOES the Trade Federation want to block trade? They seem to be a member state of the Republic given their representation in the senate. We know that they disagree with space tax policy, but how does blockading Naboo do anything to change that? Maybe there are excessive import duties on Naboo itself. That seems insignificant next to an entire galaxy of potential trading partners. Maybe Naboo somehow controls who can hyperspace through the most common space lanes. That seems unlikely since Naboo does not appear to have a fleet of interdictors or much space power at all. Maybe it's just a wealthy target and cutting it off from the rest of the Republic puts pressure on the Senate somehow. Again improbable as no other senator seem to care about the planet. Maybe there's a reason, but the movie doesn't give one.

This is the publicly facing cover story. The blockade is the legal and public relations cover to hide the secret invasion of Naboo. It needs to at least appear justifiable. Instead, they throw whatever unstated plausible deniability to the wind immediately. Attempted murder of government negotiators and actual murder of everyone else on the Republic ship is kind of a giveaway. This criminal panic and gross incompetence makes it hard to believe there is some brilliant, convincing argument for their case. A case which is never made on screen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Zoran posted:

Borderline. He’s very large, at least NBA center height

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

Borderline. He’s very large, at least NBA center height

Making him taller than any human, but just by a little, is emblematic of the ambition shown throughout TLJ.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oops! I was meaning the novel.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Astribulus posted:

Maybe it's just a wealthy target and cutting it off from the rest of the Republic puts pressure on the Senate somehow. Again improbable as no other senator seem to care about the planet. Maybe there's a reason, but the movie doesn't give one.

The Queen of Naboo starts a vote of no confidence in the Supreme Chancellor following the Trade Federation's blockade which then sees Naboo's Sheev Palpatine elected. But yeah, "no one seems to care about Naboo" and the movie doesn't show you otherwise. Okay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Astribulus posted:

Why is that a dumb question? Why DOES the Trade Federation want to block trade? They seem to be a member state of the Republic given their representation in the senate. We know that they disagree with space tax policy, but how does blockading Naboo do anything to change that? Maybe there are excessive import duties on Naboo itself. That seems insignificant next to an entire galaxy of potential trading partners. Maybe Naboo somehow controls who can hyperspace through the most common space lanes. That seems unlikely since Naboo does not appear to have a fleet of interdictors or much space power at all. Maybe it's just a wealthy target and cutting it off from the rest of the Republic puts pressure on the Senate somehow. Again improbable as no other senator seem to care about the planet. Maybe there's a reason, but the movie doesn't give one.

This is the publicly facing cover story. The blockade is the legal and public relations cover to hide the secret invasion of Naboo. It needs to at least appear justifiable. Instead, they throw whatever unstated plausible deniability to the wind immediately. Attempted murder of government negotiators and actual murder of everyone else on the Republic ship is kind of a giveaway. This criminal panic and gross incompetence makes it hard to believe there is some brilliant, convincing argument for their case. A case which is never made on screen.

Blockading Naboo makes it clear to everyone how much they rely on the Trade Federation and more inclined to give them favourable terms in deals, it's a strong-arm tactic. Why Naboo specifically? Well, Darth Sidious might have suggested it to them given he's from there. They seem to rely entirely on imports so they're probably a particularly heavy user of the T-Feds as well.

The blockade is not a cover for the invasion- when Sidious tells Gunray to invade, it's clear that this isn't something they've really discussed. The Jedi also aren't there as "government negotiators," they're there to force a settlement. When they meet Boss Nass a little later on we get a look at what Jedi "negotiations" look like.

E: check the opening crawl, the Chancellor sent the Jedi "secretly". They're there to make this whole thing go away

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

sassassin posted:

The Queen of Naboo starts a vote of no confidence in the Supreme Chancellor following the Trade Federation's blockade which then sees Naboo's Sheev Palpatine elected. But yeah, "no one seems to care about Naboo" and the movie doesn't show you otherwise. Okay.

She does, but that doesn't actually help Naboo. The queen and her entourage have no support when they rally both peoples to take back their home. Amidala created a nice scandal to dethrone an unpopular chancellor, but don't mistake opportunity for compassion. The Senate does not work on behalf of Naboo at any point.

2house2fly posted:

Blockading Naboo makes it clear to everyone how much they rely on the Trade Federation and more inclined to give them favourable terms in deals, it's a strong-arm tactic. Why Naboo specifically? Well, Darth Sidious might have suggested it to them given he's from there. They seem to rely entirely on imports so they're probably a particularly heavy user of the T-Feds as well.

The blockade is not a cover for the invasion- when Sidious tells Gunray to invade, it's clear that this isn't something they've really discussed. The Jedi also aren't there as "government negotiators," they're there to force a settlement. When they meet Boss Nass a little later on we get a look at what Jedi "negotiations" look like.

E: check the opening crawl, the Chancellor sent the Jedi "secretly". They're there to make this whole thing go away

What do they rely on the Trade Federation for? If they're supposed to be the sole source of trade in the Republic, that's ludicrous. They're clearly a moneyed interest, but there aren't real stakes to going against them. Palpatine claims that they've bribed a large number of senators, but it's hard to say how reliable that is. The whispers to Valorum certainly make him seem compromised. That said, the chancellor also sent the jedi in the first place.

Speaking of jedi negotiations, I do not subscribe to your conclusion that their first encounter with the Gungans is representative. There they were on a ticking clock attempting to beat an invasion force to the other side of the planet. The stakes were one ship vs a war (though ultimately they failed to stop that even with transport). On the other hand, when faced with a conference room they sit quietly and wait. We're told the chancellor has demands and Qui-gon expects the Federation to give in quickly due to cowardice. Qui-gon also characterizes the trade dispute as trivial. This isn't a serious situation from their perspective until the gas comes in.

Finally, conquering Naboo was always part of it. Palpatine commands the invasion saying they must accelerate their plans, but the army was already aboard and ready to go. I expect they wanted the treaty first to make the invasion legal, however that works, but it still would have happened.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

All you really need to get a sense of what negotiating with a Jedi is like is Qui-Gon saying they'll be in and out because the Neimoidians are cowards. What does it matter that they're cowards unless he's planning to intimidate them?

Obviously the Trade Federation doesn't supply the whole galaxy, but they and people like them supply enough planets like Naboo that the blockade is sending a message: you need us more than we need you. We can do this all day.
The movie doesn't go into detail but I'd guess the senator for Naboo advised the queen that since they're having to pay more taxes on imports they should pay less for the imports themselves. Then when the queen did that, Darth Sidious said to the Trade Federation "are you just going to sit there and take that? You know, you could protest it with a perfectly legal blockade..."

This is all beside the point really: Why would an organization called the Trade Federation want to blockade trade? Because they're unhappy with the terms of the trade.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Snoke is implicitly revealed to spiritually be Palpatine 2.0. Like Palpatine, he's not really a Sith, just some rear end in a top hat which works out since TLJ confirms that the Dark Side is inherently petty and shallow in nature. The reveal with Snoke is that there really is nothing to him which retroactively makes Palpatine less special. The implication is that there just always some greedy old man trying to sit on the throne.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zoran posted:

It was the worst of both worlds. Snoke is like 7 feet tall. So he's as physically imposing as a really tall old sick guy, in a gaudy robe.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do kind of wish that Snoke was just a weird hologram that was being entirely controlled by Kylo just for the purpose of fulfilling his Darth Vader cosplay.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astribulus posted:

Why is that a dumb question? Why DOES the Trade Federation want to block trade?
It's a dumb question because they aren't just asking "Why does the Trade Federation want to blockade Naboo?" but also

quote:

Why would an organization called The Trade Federation wanna blockade trade? Usually a blockade is to stop something you DON’T want to get in..So if the Trade Federation were like merchants moving goods and services around the Galaxy, then why did they seem more like a military with armies of robots?

As if it's unimaginable that an organisation might strongarm people into accepting an unfavourable trade agreement.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think he's closer to 10 feet tall, but he's always sitting down and never close to another character so you never feel what height he does have at all. It's almost really funny, like someone was trying to gently caress up having a giant man in the movie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The East India Company of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I guess they probably trade in robots and weapons and stuff too, so it makes sense to make their own. If you make weapons you're never short of buyers!

Plus you know, they don't like taxes and they're heavily armed- they're libertarians. Maybe it's not a blockade but a blockchain