Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Julius Krein, the conservative founder of the new publication American Affairs, has noticed the new allies.

“There is a lot of interesting convergence on some of the anti-woke thinking and many things that, perhaps surprisingly, we agree on, for different reasons,” he said. One of the Chapo hosts contributed a piece to his magazine.

“It’s fairly easy to have fun, pretty exciting dialogue between right-wing anti-neoliberals and left-wing anti-neoliberals.”

lol thanks for giving the NYT this lay up opportunity Amber

also lol that the Julius guy assuming he won't be in Central Park after the revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the article is interesting because it treats chapo and the listeners as grotesque lab specimens, then at the end it introduces a substitute teacher who works two jobs and sells his blood plasma to stay barely afloat, and the author describes his desperation as a mere "feeling", then she expresses disgust at the idea of the crowd holding each other and singing a union anthem.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Thank you for your service in signal boosting chapo, NYT.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah it's an amazing piece of the exact stuff the chapos are rightly ridiculing - the prudishness, the weird moral superiority, the desperate need to look for some equivalence (menaker's from a media class background! gasp!), even the absurd idea that it is wrong to make a living off one's passion. you love to see it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The New York Times piece is definitely laying the ground work for Mayor Pete to eviscerate the Sanders campaign for associating itself with valor thief Felix Biederman.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Former Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s run appalls them. “Beat him so badly that this midget gremlin won’t even have a shot even with a trillion dollars,” Mr. Menaker said.

“Kill him,” someone shouted from the audience. These were jokes, of course. Everyone was laughing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Atrocious Joe posted:

also lol that the Julius guy assuming he won't be in Central Park after the revolution

no one cares.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Siljmonster posted:

holy poo poo the venue that chapo was at has gotten worse and shittier with how they treat people

do they always pat and wave people down

but uh yeah it seemed a little intense

and gently caress livenation

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

While Hitler jokes are well understood as vile, there is less consensus on what to do when Stalin is the punchline.

“If you want to kick off ironic Nazis, what do you do with the ironic Maoists and ironic Stalinists?” said Andrew Marantz, author of “Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation.”

lol of course

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The new Richard Stanley movie is looking good though

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1233805845382615040

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao

the unnamed podcast

it took nearly 20 years, but the webhost had enough so now it's called bonequest

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
lol greenwald becoming a trueanon superfan is funny

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1233836233396310016?s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of course Greenwald likes Truanon he and Brace have the same employer.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

hillary clinton

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Trabisnikof posted:

say what you will about the CIA psyop division, they have great office parties. I've heard, anyway.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
nice 2020 redtext

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1233806705592602626

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

oh cmon theres plenty of rich people in cali, why the fuss

aaand they control all the water in california lmao

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Goast posted:

nice 2020 redtext

thanks, it's my third one. It beats the swastika, and it's hand made. ~ <3

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Guys rule.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

William Menaker for the commissariat of popular digital broadcasting

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Farm Frenzy posted:

this article is amazing lol its written to closely resemble all those ones about pepe nazis from 2016 but they cant accuse them of anything more serious than being rude to opinion columnists

nah, those articles were way more fawning

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

do not attempt to directly address them, as your equipment will become stuck in them until they are defeated

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

exmarx posted:

nah, those articles were way more fawning

Yup lets compare shall we: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

Chapo, violent and defensive versus IDW is just a rolling conversation about taboo topics:

quote:

In blurring occasionally violent humor, jovial community meetups and radical politics, they are the Tea Party reborn for progressives, and for their fans the appeal is in a bawdy offensive balance to cautious mainstream liberal politics.

They are known collectively as the Dirtbag Left, a shorthand they embrace that winkingly dispenses with any notion of liberal purity or inclusion, a defense mechanism that doubles as a nickname.

Compared to:

quote:

Today, people like them who dare venture into this “There Be Dragons” territory on the intellectual map have met with outrage and derision — even, or perhaps especially, from people who pride themselves on openness.

It’s a pattern that has become common in our new era of That Which Cannot Be Said. And it is the reason the Intellectual Dark Web, a term coined half-jokingly by Mr. Weinstein, came to exist.

What is the I.D.W. and who is a member of it? It’s hard to explain, which is both its beauty and its danger.

Most simply, it is a collection of iconoclastic thinkers, academic renegades and media personalities who are having a rolling conversation[ — on podcasts, YouTube and Twitter, and in sold-out auditoriums — that sound unlike anything else happening, at least publicly, in the culture right now. Feeling largely locked out of legacy outlets, they are rapidly building their own mass media channels.
But they all share three distinct qualities. First, they are willing to disagree ferociously, but talk civilly, about nearly every meaningful subject: religion, abortion, immigration, the nature of consciousness. Second, in an age in which popular feelings about the way things ought to be often override facts about the way things actually are, each is determined to resist parroting what’s politically convenient. And third, some have paid for this commitment by being purged from institutions that have become increasingly hostile to unorthodox thought — and have found receptive audiences elsewhere.

Chapo runs roughshod over anti-racism versus isnt it interesting how racists like the IDW:

quote:

The topic is inequality, raging against the rich.

Progressives who are more concerned with racial equality or gender parity have had to figure out how to either go against the Dirtbag movement or resign themselves to this singular focus, which occasionally runs roughshod over all the rest.

But what some call an exciting dialogue can feel exclusionary to others.

Compared to:

quote:

People are starved for controversial opinions,” said Joe Rogan, an MMA color commentator and comedian who hosts one of the most popular podcasts in the country. “And they are starved for an actual conversation.”

That hunger has translated into a booming and, in many cases, profitable market. Episodes of “The Joe Rogan Experience,” which have featured many members of the I.D.W., can draw nearly as big an audience as Rachel Maddow. A recent episode featuring Bret Weinstein and Ms. Heying talking about gender, hotness, beauty and #MeToo was viewed on YouTube over a million times, even though the conversation lasted for nearly three hours.

Ben Shapiro’s podcast, which airs five days a week, gets 15 million downloads a month. Sam Harris estimates that his “Waking Up” podcast gets one million listeners an episode. Dave Rubin’s YouTube show has more than 700,000 subscribers.

Offline and in the real world, members of the I.D.W. are often found speaking to one another in packed venues around the globe. In July, for example, Jordan Peterson, Douglas Murray and Mr. Harris will appear together at the O2 Arena in London.

But as the members of the Intellectual Dark Web become genuinely popular, they are also coming under more scrutiny. On April 21, Kanye West crystallized this problem when he tweeted seven words that set Twitter on fire: “I love the way Candace Owens thinks.”

Candace Owens, the communications director for Turning Point USA, is a sharp, young, black conservative — a telegenic speaker with killer instincts who makes videos with titles like “How to Escape the Democrat Plantation” and “The Left Thinks Black People Are Stupid.” Mr. West’s praise for her was sandwiched inside a longer thread that referenced many of the markers of the Intellectual Dark Web, like the tyranny of thought policing and the importance of independent thinking. He was photographed watching a Jordan Peterson video.

All of a sudden, it seemed, the I.D.W. had broken through to the culture-making class, and a few in the group flirted with embracing Ms. Owens as their own.

Yet Ms. Owens is a passionate Trump supporter who has dismissed racism as a threat to black people while arguing, despite evidence to the contrary, that immigrants steal their jobs. She has also compared Jay-Z and Beyoncé to slaves for supporting the Democratic Party.

Chapo is problematic because of the subreddit versus Alex Jones a just a platform asking questions

quote:

An additional challenge is that as the free-floating anger they stoke finds community, it is escalating and souring into sometimes violent and ugly rhetoric — the kind of rhetoric that other Democratic contenders have fashioned into a major critique of Mr. Sanders.

On Monday, the Sanders campaign fired a campaign organizer, Ben Mora, after his private Twitter feed was revealed to include derogatory comments about 2020 candidates. The Chapo hosts publicly supported Mr. Mora, praising his organizing work and saying, “I hope the campaign doesn’t cave to these whiners and losers.”

For the hosts and their fans, those sort of tweets and the podcast language are all jokes. The audience understands the difference, they argue, and anyway the real problem with the Democrats is that they’re overly sensitive. A bunch of self-serious P.M.C.s (members of the professional-managerial class).

Over the summer, the “Chapo Trap House” message board, which has nearly 153,000 members who chat about the news and memes of the day, was censured by Reddit, which hosts it. The page now has limited reach and is in a sort of digital purgatory, where it remains.

“The reason for the quarantine is that we have observed repeated rule-breaking behavior in your community, especially in the form of encouragement of violence,” Reddit administrators wrote to the group. Comments considered in violation included jokes around historically violent left-wing populist revolutions, like who goes to the guillotine first.

While Hitler jokes are well understood as vile, there is less consensus on what to do when Stalin is the punchline.

“If you want to kick off ironic Nazis, what do you do with the ironic Maoists and ironic Stalinists?”
said Andrew Marantz, author of “Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation.”

After receiving their punishment, Chapo moderators wrote to Reddit frustrated: “Are all references to gulags to be considered violent content?”

compared to:

quote:

Emphasis is one problem. Associating with genuinely bad people is another.

Go a click in one direction and the group is enhanced by intellectuals with tony affiliations like Steven Pinker at Harvard. But go a click in another and you’ll find alt-right figures like Stefan Molyneux and Milo Yiannopoulos and conspiracy theorists like Mike Cernovich (the #PizzaGate huckster) and Alex Jones (the Sandy Hook shooting denier).

It’s hard to draw boundaries around an amorphous network, especially when each person in it has a different idea of who is beyond the pale.

I don’t know that we are in the position to police it,” Mr. Rubin said. “If this thing becomes something massive — a political or social movement — then maybe we’d need to have some statement of principles. For now, we’re just a crew of people trying to have the kind of important conversations that the mainstream won’t.”

But is a statement of principles necessary to make a judgment call about people like Mr. Cernovich, Mr. Molyneux and Mr. Yiannopoulos? Mr. Rubin has hosted all three on his show. And he appeared on a typically unhinged episode of Mr. Jones’s radio show, “Infowars.” Mr. Rogan regularly lets Abby Martin — a former 9/11 Truther who is strangely sympathetic to the regimes in Syria and Venezuela — rant on his podcast. He also encouraged Mr. Jones to spout off about the moon landing being fake during Mr. Jones’s nearly four-hour appearance on his show. When asked why he hosts people like Mr. Jones, Mr. Rogan has insisted that he’s not an interviewer or a journalist. “I talk to people. And I record it. That’s it,” he has said.

Mr. Rubin doesn’t see this is a problem. “The fact is that Jones reaches millions of people,” he said. “Going on that show means I get to reach them, and I don’t think anyone is a lost cause. I’ve gotten a slew of email from folks saying that they first heard me on Jones, but then watched a bunch of my interviews and changed some of their views.”

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

The new Richard Stanley movie Disco Elysium 2 is looking good though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

titus would never dress like that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thanking joe biden tonight for teaching those chapo boys a lesson

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

absolutely criminal that comments are not on

Hey. The establishment likes it when people would just make conspiratorial accusations about Russia. Obama being a Kenyan. To have their ability as journalists questioned is a step too far.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

It was an awesome article and woke PMC are what liberals like this articles writer depend on and must be flushed out from the left.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Homeless Friend posted:

thanking joe biden tonight for teaching those chapo boys a lesson

i hope the good matt comes back

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

It was an awesome article and woke PMC are what liberals like this articles writer depend on and must be flushed out from the left.

i keep hearing people talk about the slurs the chapo boys use and it's like, i can't think of anything they've said other than maybe "retard" in their early episodes. it's all hearsay from people who don't listen but say they've heard things

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Shipon posted:

i keep hearing people talk about the slurs the chapo boys use and it's like, i can't think of anything they've said other than maybe "retard" in their early episodes. it's all hearsay from people who don't listen but say they've heard things

the real n-word is neoliberal

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

Radlib pmc’s see anyone critiquing hyphen as using slurs.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They don’t want anyone to actually have left politics they just want to have their little wokescold clique brand

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Retromancer posted:

the real n-word is neoliberal

it's this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before but libs think Chapo is Cum Town.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Libs think Chapo is Cum Town
That Cum Town is a Nazi podcast
And that Nazi podcasts are legally protected speech

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Shipon posted:

pretty sure Felix has used every misogynist slur in existence at one point or another because gamer but these days he only drops bitch or pussy when he's really having a moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

why the gently caress am i blocked by yasha levine lol