Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shadow of Mordor:

me: this is terrible why does this man walk so slow
the stealth sections: intentionally slow so you can better plan your moves and kill things
me: you may be as slow as you like woah

note to self, uninstall giant games more often and then go exploring in your library, being able to install big games makes for more varied fun

I also appreciate how detailed all of the lore entries are. You can really tell that a LotR nerd was involved in this part, and I appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Wamdoodle posted:

tbf, the Division games are RPG's wrapped in third person shooter gameplay
This is from a couple of pages back but I just want to say that this is spot on. People always like to compare The Division and Destiny because shoot mans but I don't thank they're very comparable; The Division (1 and 2) really have more in common with ARPGs like Diablo (especially in terms of stuff like itemization) than Destiny, which is more a shooter first with light RPG elements.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Div2 is pretty cool and the Diablo comparisons are apt. I reinstall it every few months just to kit out a specific build until I get bored. It's managed to keep me entertained despite tacticool shooters not usually being my thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shadow of Mordor:

me: this is terrible why does this man walk so slow
the stealth sections: intentionally slow so you can better plan your moves and kill things
me: you may be as slow as you like woah

note to self, uninstall giant games more often and then go exploring in your library, being able to install big games makes for more varied fun

I also appreciate how detailed all of the lore entries are. You can really tell that a LotR nerd was involved in this part, and I appreciate that.

If you happen to be good at games, be sure to die sometimes, lots of things happen when you die and it's okay.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

If you happen to be good at games, be sure to die sometimes, lots of things happen when you die and it's okay.

Dying has literally no consequences in the game besides a few minutes wasted on a current mission if active.

It has many fun and enjoyable benefits thanks to the overall design of the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HopperUK posted:

Actually good advice, we're not kidding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Unfortunately if you buy the GOTY Edition of Shadow of Mordor (which might just be the default version now) it starts you off with all these OP weapon runes that make it almost impossible to die at the start. So if you want the full Nemesis experience you probably shouldn't use them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

I'm bad at games so don't worry, death is inevitable!

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately if you buy the GOTY Edition of Shadow of Mordor (which might just be the default version now) it starts you off with all these OP weapon runes that make it almost impossible to die at the start. So if you want the full Nemesis experience you probably shouldn't use them.

After Red Dead Redemption gave me the world's most perfect horse and basically ruined me for horses thanks to the GOTY edition having all the good stuff in it, I've learned to be wary of DLC weapons. Oh, and this is a problem in Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 as well - did you get the dlc weaponry? Congratulations it's power level 900 and can kill instantly. It is also usually shaped like a tennis racket or something equally silly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm bad at games so don't worry, death is inevitable!

After Red Dead Redemption gave me the world's most perfect horse and basically ruined me for horses thanks to the GOTY edition having all the good stuff in it, I've learned to be wary of DLC weapons. Oh, and this is a problem in Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 as well - did you get the dlc weaponry? Congratulations it's power level 900 and can kill instantly. It is also usually shaped like a tennis racket or something equally silly.

Yeah I got that dlc edition of dw8 but fortunately the OP weapons are all so stupid looking I can’t bring myself to use them. It’s like the chicken hat in mgs5, being op comes with an unplayable aesthetic price

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm I see that FF12: Zodiac Age is on sale, how big of an improvement is it over the original? Because I wanna replay it but I'm fine with the ps2 clunkiness, so if it's just, like, "We made the textures bigger and saturated everything" I'd just as soon save my money and replay it on my ps2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm I see that FF12: Zodiac Age is on sale, how big of an improvement is it over the original? Because I wanna replay it but I'm fine with the ps2 clunkiness, so if it's just, like, "We made the textures bigger and saturated everything" I'd just as soon save my money and replay it on my ps2.

Its a massive improvement over the original. If you really liked the generic everyone-can-do-anything style character progression well that's gone in favor of more specialized jobs but other than that its a huge upgrade in every way. Good port too

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

There are two major benefits:
1 - There are now classes, so the license board is no longer character based but class based. For FFXII TZA, you get to choose two classes per character. 6 characters, 12 classes, so you can go around the whole board in one run if you want.
2 - There is a new level of speed up, 4x or 8x. Helps for the slower moments, and VERY noticeable on the long treks.

If it's PC, you also can get mods! Lots of people rebalanced skills/classes or have new themes, so there's some fun there. I personally wish they kept the difficulty as is, many of them are by experts who have played the game a lot and therefore aim for a higher difficulty, but it's an option.

There are also QOL improvement mods, like graphics upgrades, camera, and making Montblanc able to reset classes. So you don't have to be locked into your choices if you're unsure.

If you liked FFXII at all and want another run, I think it's an excellent buy and a big upgrade myself!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s also got a bunch of built in cheats in case you want to speed things along (including a literal fast forward button)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If the original you played wasn't the International version then it might as well count as a full remake.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Nope, I played the bare-bones rear end, launch day original... I had no idea zodiac age was such a step up, I'm grabbing the heck out of it- thanks for the reviews!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

OgNar posted:

I've been playing Tales from Candlekeep and was considering Gloomhaven which kinda looks like more of the same.
How does it compare? Same game, different looks? Tougher? Better?
I know its in ea still and has no story yet, just random encounters. But will buy if its more of the same.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/663380/Tales_from_Candlekeep_Tomb_of_Annihilation/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Candlekeep is a digital version of the D&D Adventure Game System board games, which are pretty okay as physical board games. Gloomhaven is a digital version of the board game, which is considered to be the best dungeon crawler in the market by a tremendously wide margin. The campaign is the main reason to play it, but the gameplay itself is amazing and playing random dungeons may give you an idea of how tactical and crunchy it can be. The game relies very little on luck, which is also a great plus.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Shadow of the Tomb Raider's photo mode lets you add some garish filters and I kind of love it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can't be happy with the wanton destruction and pilfering of ancient ruins, gotta get those likes.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

MMF Freeway posted:

Its a massive improvement over the original. If you really liked the generic everyone-can-do-anything style character progression well that's gone in favor of more specialized jobs but other than that its a huge upgrade in every way. Good port too

Omi no Kami posted:

Nope, I played the bare-bones rear end, launch day original... I had no idea zodiac age was such a step up, I'm grabbing the heck out of it- thanks for the reviews!

Something to note: The main storyline for the game was also made considerably easier, and you don't have to touch the gambits system until much later, if at all. Bonus fights (like 70% of the game's content) can still put up a challenge, but basic attacks will serve for quite a while.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question for the thread: I'm thinking about picking up Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (since it comes with all the DLC while also being slightly cheaper than buying the game alone), along with one of the Final Fantasy games. I have it narrowed down to three, but I'm not sure which to get:

• Final Fantasy X I played back on PS2. I never finished it (I think the only FF game I've ever actually finished is FF1), but I remember making it about half-way/three-fifths of the way through. I don't really recall that much about it in terms to how it played. X-2 I never played, and the only things I know about it in regards to gameplay is that it has the dress sphere system and getting 100% required you to talk to exhaust dialog with everyone in the game.

• Final Fantasy XII I played very briefly, but never made any major progress in. However, I feel like I never gave it a fair shot. The only thing I really remember from it was that there some dumb thing where to get one of the super-powerful endgame weapons, you had to make sure not to open certain chests scattered throughout the game (I remember reading Zodiac Age removed that). I also remember that the game has a secret super-boss that has like 15 million HP. I asked about it over in the RPG thread, and was warned away from it, but the descriptions here make it sound like the Zodiac version is worth checking out. One of the big draws of it for me was that it was directed by the same guy (Yasumi Matsuno) who worked on stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Vagrant Story, and that it tried for the same kind 'medieval-era wartime drama & political intrigue' type of plot, and that plot is still there, but it's bogged down by Square Enix mandating that they had to have a 'teenagers who want to be sky pirates' to appeal to Akihabara teens or something (might be mixing that up with Nier).

• Final Fantasy XV I've not played, and know nothing about except the joke of 'boy band goes on a roadtrip'. Apart from that, I know there some prequel film that gives some backstory (dunno if it's required viewing), there's a giant turtle boss in the desert, and that the game has some character model replacement mods that are funny.

EDIT: I suppose there's also World of Final Fantasy, too, but I don't know anything about that, other than than you visit various FF games, where all the characters are cute chibi versions of themselves.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

FWIW, I played both versions and thought that Zodiac Age still couldn't fix the fact that FF12 is just generally not a good game.

Insert name here posted:

This is from a couple of pages back but I just want to say that this is spot on. People always like to compare The Division and Destiny because shoot mans but I don't thank they're very comparable; The Division (1 and 2) really have more in common with ARPGs like Diablo (especially in terms of stuff like itemization) than Destiny, which is more a shooter first with light RPG elements.
I explained it to my younger brother as Borderlands 2 if everything was boring instead of over the top and colorful, which matches up well with that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

zedprime posted:

When you're creating your account you'll be flagged as a Euro-zone-whichever based on your IP and your choice of country will be within that zone. This sets your base currency and pricing/availability zone.

You can be in a eurozone and use US cards. The store will display in your home currency and home zone prices and charge you at your home currency so if your US cards have foreign transaction fees they'll get triggered.

If you want to fudge it to be entirely in US you'd have to technically travel to the US and start your account there, but you can use a VPN. If you're in the pricey euro zones this would be a good idea because you're gonna pay the Euro-strength-tax for the base price, and then get VAT which may or may not be more than the sales tax on your US billing address.

If you're in a cheap euro zone, open it there and have fun getting games half off.

They won't generally hassle you about this unless you buy a lot of games on a IP outside your home zone using forms of payment with the billing address also outside. They'll also shut up if you give them proof of residency because they're just doing tax due diligence.

Most of these points are probably more than you care about so if you just open an account with your euro home address and use your US cards it'll just work.

Thanks for the clarification!

Will I have a problem if I set my residence to Europe and I want to play with my friends in the US? I know latency can be affected but am I missing anything else?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zodiac age is much better than base FF12 just because of the fast forward but I don't think it does anything to fix the fundamental problems of the game (the story being nothing, combat being kind of rear end and less engaging than your average clicker game)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 1, 2020

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
12 is just not a good game no matter what version you play. Get 10, at least it's enjoyable and 10-2 isn't as bad as people freak out about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Givin posted:

12 is just not a good game no matter what version you play. Get 10, at least it's enjoyable and 10-2 isn't as bad as people freak out about.

10-2 is great

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I had a lot of fun with FF12:ZA. I loved the combat, liked the story just fine, and played it for a long, long time. Just sayin'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Busy Bee posted:

Thanks for the clarification!

Will I have a problem if I set my residence to Europe and I want to play with my friends in the US? I know latency can be affected but am I missing anything else?
It will have no effect if you play a game where you can simply choose to play with with friends at will. Depending on the game, your matchmaking may be affected because you now fall into a different region, but many games allow you to switch to global matchmaking these days even then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Givin posted:

X-2 is the best Final Fantasy game ever made.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XIV exists though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMOs are trash

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How is 15 story/gameplaywise, boy band jokes aside?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Black Desert Online has good combat, classes and character customization, and it's all wasted on all these Korean MMO trappings that where already outdated 10 years ago. It's absolutely atrocious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

How is 15 story/gameplaywise, boy band jokes aside?
Open world real-time combat, not even like FF12 but more like a standard third person action game. It's not bad, but pretty shallow. Magic is hilariously overpowered and works like something halfway out of FF8 and a crafting game. The focus definitely lies more on the road trip and exploration than on the mechanics.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So with a new internet connection i was finally able to download the new CoD Modern Warfare game. I'm just off of the back of playing Metro Exodus and holy poo poo is MW a much better optimised game.

I thought with the settings cranked up to max that it'd take ages to load, but not at all. Exodus on the other hand can take almost 2 to 3 minutes for it to get there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it still running on the Quake 3 engine?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

4A Engine. It's made by some people who originally took part in the development of the engine used by the STALKER games and split when they just couldn't stand to work with it anymore because it sucked so much.

e: assuming you meant Exodus.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 1, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

pretty sure COD is still rooted in id tech but it has come a very long way so I don't know if you could really say its running on a quake engine any more. this latest cod was a pretty reasonable step up in fidelity for once. and well optimised for PC.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

[*] Final Fantasy XII I played very briefly, but never made any major progress in. However, I feel like I never gave it a fair shot. The only thing I really remember from it was that there some dumb thing where to get one of the super-powerful endgame weapons, you had to make sure not to open certain chests scattered throughout the game (I remember reading Zodiac Age removed that). I also remember that the game has a secret super-boss that has like 15 million HP. I asked about it over in the RPG thread, and was warned away from it, but the descriptions here make it sound like the Zodiac version is worth checking out. One of the big draws of it for me was that it was directed by the same guy (Yasumi Matsuno) who worked on stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Vagrant Story, and that it tried for the same kind 'medieval-era wartime drama & political intrigue' type of plot, and that plot is still there, but it's bogged down by Square Enix mandating that they had to have a 'teenagers who want to be sky pirates' to appeal to Akihabara teens or something (might be mixing that up with Nier).

You mentioned Matsuno, so prepare for the wall of words. This is his peak for me and I love all those games you mention. But he burned out very near the end of this game and left the project: you can see that in the very final bits of the plot where it devolves a little into typical FF bad guy writing and boss fight, but that's at the very, very end of a huge and lengthy story. If you like the kind of usual big sweeping countries at war plot told by a common person story that Matsuno has done before, this is where it gets done at scale. He's never done anything like this since, I think that burn out was pretty terminal sadly.

The story is told from a teen, Vaan's perspective but he doesn't do the typical FF angsty teen much if at all - Penelo the other teen keeps him grounded when he does try to go in that direction. Some of the others in the party are more central to the plot and have far more consequential roles to play, so this is a very good thing - you're an observer along for the ride and your youth and inexperience lets you ask questions the others couldn't. It's great that while you're an observer to the fates of nations, you're along for far more individual reasons.

The world is huge and lovingly made, with a depth to it. The gambit system is polarizing, but I think it works very well in a game like this that has a lot of combat over a very long story. The game is crisply made, there's a lot of attention to detail in UI and experience.

There are many secrets and some secret bosses. The final secret boss was done by the team as an homage to Yasumi Matsuno (hence: Yiazmat, and the hunt is called "Farewell to a Legend"). I never fought it because it takes a couple hours supposedly, though I did all the other Elite Marks secret or not. The other long fights are nowhere near this extreme and I enjoyed them.

I've never played an MMO other than to try out ESO and that Star Wars one because of write ups in this thread about how non-MMOish they are. Both were OK to me and I bounced off them, because I didn't like the MMO aspects - this game did not feel like either. So I don't get the MMO comparisons or criticism - the gameplay systems work well together, including the gambit-based combat. It feels like any of his other games - very cohesive and everything works together.

If you like Matsuno's games in general, this is a must buy. It's not a typical FF game - it's very recognizably his creation just done at the scale of production of an AAAAA FF game.

E: I remember an interview with Matsuno who said that the story was significantly improved by making Vaan ("teen caught up in big things") the initial focus of the story instead of Basch ("silent hero with deep secrets") as originally planned. I like that part of the writing. So if that's holding you back - and why not, it's every FF game - don't worry about it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 1, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Speaking of MMORPGs, I'm just waiting for Path of Fire to go on a 50% sale before hopping back into Guild Wars 2 for a ride from start to finish. Path of Fire comes with a free Heart of Thorns now. Very nice.

I was also itching for card games and decided to reinstall Slay the Spire. Apparently it's 2.0 now with more content and a fourth character. Super sweet. I also got back into Monster Hunter World after beating The Division 2. I also still need to continue D:OS 2.

Goodbye free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm a couple hours into Hollow Knight, just defeated the Mantis Lords and went into Deepnest. Is there some kind of light radius upgrade I can get that eventually makes this area less annoying? Also, I feel like I missed something in Fungal Wastes. Some NPC told me about upgrading my nail near the old city before Mantis Lords but I couldn't see a way to progress past the bridge.