Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Corona gets transported in cardboard cases, so the people yelling "ahh it's always skunked" are generally catastrophising what might be a once a year experience for a heavy drinker. I've never had one and I've been drinking Corona every summer for the last 15 years in Australia where a) the transport distances are much greater and b) there's a lot more UV light because we don't really have an ozone layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, they ship it in fuckin boxes, exactly how much sunlight is it being exposed to before you drink it? :v:

E:fb

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's no laws while drinking Claws

*laws still apply while drinking White Claw

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skwirl posted:

No, Corona and Budweiser just introduced their own hard seltzers because it was a type of alcohol no one was buying.

White Claw couldn't physically manufacture enough to keep up with demand for a while. One of the reasons other brands have been able to make a foothold in that market is there was a significant gap in supply.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/05/how-white-claw-and-the-hard-seltzer-craze-are-taking-on-beer.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-hell-is-white-claw-hard-seltzer-outselling-budweiser

White Claw is outselling Budweiser and experiencing triple-digit growth. Maybe you just hang out at the wrong punk venues? There's a bar in downtown Orlando that replaced a broken toilet tank lid with part of a White Claw box.

Ahh... yeah in my part of So-Cal it's a punchline to a hipster/gringo joke, so results vary apparently.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Coward

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

White Claw is surging, and it's been suggested that it's because it provides an acceptably masculine form of very light-tasting alcohol for guys who are insecure about being seen drinking Bacardi Breezers. They use gender-neutral marketing so it's seen as acceptable for everyone without you getting accused of being a sissy.

I heard its because techbros/code monkeys like it.

Also the women those people hit on like it too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

There's no laws while drinking Claws

Ahem

The phrase is

Ain't no laws when you're drinkin claws

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Walton Simons posted:

A new conspiracy is that she's on puberty blockers to make her look younger and therefore harder to attack without looking a twat. :rolleyes:
It's amazing how many people say "Greta is used because they know we can't attack her" and yet I've never seen anyone actually hold back from attacking her. Like if the whole idea is to present someone unassailable it's not working because all these people assail her nonstop.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MizPiz posted:

Having the right opinions about politics DOES NOT give you a license to post cringe

https://twitter.com/pawgbertREAL/status/1233101845356253185?s=19

What do Warren and my dick have in common?

oh :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Corona gets transported in cardboard cases, so the people yelling "ahh it's always skunked" are generally catastrophising what might be a once a year experience for a heavy drinker. I've never had one and I've been drinking Corona every summer for the last 15 years in Australia where a) the transport distances are much greater and b) there's a lot more UV light because we don't really have an ozone layer.

I've gotten Corona with at least a slight skunkiness every time I've drank it (which is probably 2 or 3 bottles out of hundreds). I get the same problem with a lot of imported Euro lagers in green bottles, Heineken included. Maybe I'm just more sensitive because I drink a lot of beer in every style imaginable so I've become used to minor differences in the same style between brands.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

every time I've drank it ... 2 or 3 bottles out of hundreds

I gotta tell you I'm having a hard time parsing this.

Also I've recently switched to drinking all my beer out of cans because we're bringing in a container recycling program here and I have a big bag hanging up in the shed I've been crushing them and putting them in. Plus I like having a 500mL serving instead of the 330mL that most bottles are these days

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Memento posted:

I gotta tell you I'm having a hard time parsing this.

They drink a lot, very rarely they drink Corona and on those rare occasions the Corona tends to be skunked.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alcohol dries out the skin. Excessive drinking isn’t good for your health. Take care of yourselves people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oldpainless posted:

Alcohol dries out the skin. Excessive drinking isn’t good for your health. Take care of yourselves people.

More like oldfunless.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

They drink a lot, very rarely they drink Corona and on those rare occasions the Corona tends to be skunked.

This is correct. Since I started writing down what I've drank in December 2017, I'm past 530 unique beers. I'd say maybe half of the Euro lagers in green bottles I've had have been skunked as well as all of the Corona; writing down reviews on what I drink helps me remember if I didn't like something the first time and avoid it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

hard seltzer
Is this just premix vodka and soda?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Kinda? It’s only 5% ABV usually so no more alcoholic than beer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Yeah basically, but I think they use malt liquor in America as opposed to actual spirits.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

T-man posted:

What do Warren and my dick have in common?

oh :(

They're both feminine.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Memento posted:

Yeah basically, but I think they use malt liquor in America as opposed to actual spirits.

It’s some kind of gluten-free ferment as base, which I suppose could contain some rice malt or something.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

chitoryu12 posted:

Kinda? It’s only 5% ABV usually so no more alcoholic than beer.

But significantly more alcoholic than light beers, with less calories, which is why it's a great light beer replacement.

Natty Light's take on it is 6% abv which is why it's what I'm drinking right now.

I still love a nice IPA, but I save that for rare occasions when I'm letting loose nowadays.

They're fuckin' MADE for those occasions when you're doing physical activity and occasionally chugging some booze, like hiking or snowboarding.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Tiggum posted:

No it's worse. Has calories and is more like a light wine cooler

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

no, seltzer is an inherently a malt beverage you can turn into anything that market tests well. you can flavor it however you like, or dial up/down the ABV as you please for different markets. want to make a fruity combination 4% drink you can sell as health-adjacent and low calorie? sure. want to make a brohammer 15% frat bait? go nuts. imagine if you just made beer but without the flavor or process tradition of beer, and also it's carbonated because that is also super popular right now

hard seltzer and canned wine are the two big things just shaking up the alcohol market right now, which is way more interesting than a kajillion different kinds of IPA or other beer nerd poo poo like gose or triple stouts or whatever. mostly nobody wants that poo poo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just lol if you drink anything less that 35% ABV. Grow up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
canned wine is super convenient for getting trashed while hiking/camping, btw

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlbieQuirky posted:

It’s some kind of gluten-free ferment as base, which I suppose could contain some rice malt or something.

Did you read that link?

quote:

White Claw is a flavored malt beverage (FMB)

Like, I was ready to post a link to support my position, but I realised you had already done it for me.

luxury handset posted:

canned wine is super convenient for getting trashed while hiking/camping, btw

Also lots of outdoors events have strict glass bans but no restrictions on bringing in cans.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

luxury handset posted:

, or dial up/down the ABV as you please for different markets. want to make a fruity combination 4% drink you can sell as health-adjacent and low calorie? sure. want to make a brohammer 15% frat bait? go nuts. imagine if you just made beer but without the flavor or process tradition of beer, and also it's carbonated because that is also super popular right now

4 lokos makes a 14% hard seltzer.

I literally cannot explain how vile it tastes, it is one of the most disturbing thing's I've ever put in my mouth, 6% seems like the hard upper limit for a seltzer without adding sugar or artificial sweeteners

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elviscat posted:

4 lokos makes a 14% hard seltzer.

I literally cannot explain how vile it tastes, it is one of the most disturbing thing's I've ever put in my mouth, 6% seems like the hard upper limit for a seltzer without adding sugar or artificial sweeteners

Holy poo poo I thought that ad I saw for this was a joke

Memento has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Mar 1, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It could not possibly taste worse than "Red"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I like to put vodka in Gatorade when I drink, it's a guaranteed no hangover drink.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This one's for you, Rhino!

HIT👊OR YIFF🦊, I GUESS🤔THEY NEVER🚫YIFF🐾HUH? YOU😲GOT✔️A FUR-FRIEND🙊 I BET🎰HE DOESN'T🙅KNOT💄💦YA!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

T-man posted:

I like to put vodka in Gatorade when I drink, it's a guaranteed no hangover drink.

I once made not-margaritas with lemon-lime hydration powder.

It wasn't good, but I'm sure I felt better the day after than I would have.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Walton Simons posted:

It's really odd the level of hate she arouses. June has put on another post comparing her looks to Melania Trump's at the same age and the comments are just full of really nasty poo poo. A new conspiracy is that she's on puberty blockers to make her look younger and therefore harder to attack without looking a twat. :rolleyes:

Only if you forgot/haven't been exposed to the crap the Stoneman Douglass activists dealt with. Remember when they made a girl version of David Hogg who was hot and loved guns? There's something about teenagers standing up against the opposite-of-reality garbage that really sets off the brainworms set.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’m a brewer, beer judge and I make a hard seltzer on contract for another company. I live in New Zealand so I can’t tell you much about classification rules in the US, but hard seltzer is water, flavouring (we use fruit concentrate) and ethanol, carbonated. I suppose if you’re using grain ethanol it could conceivably be a malt beverage, but on an industrial scale you’re using 70-96.4% white spirit. I also make some gluten free beers and I’ve tested the seltzer for gluten and it’s either gluten free or >3 parts per million (which is as far as my testing equipment goes). Any way you slice it, the flavour is neutral. We make some money off it, but it’s basically fizzy, boozy juice boxes. They’re particularly lunchboxy tasting before they’re carbonated.

As for Corona, yes they travel in cardboard but light skunking can happen in a matter of hours. It’s certainly possible to have non-skunked corona from the liquor store in your fridge at home, but also reasonably likely to get a skunked bottle from the bar, depending on how quickly it moves. Even unskunked it has a coppery, adjuncty vibe that I personally don’t like very much.

I’ll have a chicken sandwich with small fries, please.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

luxury handset posted:

no, seltzer is an inherently a malt beverage

I thought "seltzer" was just American for soda water though? That seems to be what Wikipedia says?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I thought "seltzer" was just American for soda water though? That seems to be what Wikipedia says?

These are hard seltzers. Most soft seltzers in America have some sort of mild flavoring now too.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Even hard seltzer isn’t inherently a malt beverage though. It’s carbonated water with ethanol and flavour. Cane sugar and/or corn is the cheapest source of fermentable sugars but I’d imagine malt spirits are prett common too. I’m not fixing to call gin or whiskey “malt liquor” even if that is technically true. And once you get to the industrial concentrations of ethanol that go into these things, I’m not sure it even matters other than in an alcohol duty class kinda way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've drunk a lot of beer and never had one that was so bad I thought it was spoiled. What are the signs of it being skunked?

Maybe my taste buds are just hosed from too much spicy food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The superiority of hard cider must never be questioned.