Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. I think the rumor was that Debra with start it with Jarrett and Wright was with Debra so he was in. Then like Malenko would join as the nega-Benoit and then I think the rumor varied as to whether the 4th would be Eddie or Benoit turning on the Horsemen.

I just know I was new to internet wrestling rumors and I was way into that thing that never actually happened but kinda did. I think Eddie, Jarrett, and Wright were on screen together once or twice. Or Dean, Jarrett, and Wright. Or maybe I made it all up in my head.

2 Cold Scorpio made me a wrestling fan. I grew up laughing at WWF and all the stuff my friends were into and then one night I was flipping channels and I saw the coolest motherfucker in the world doing poo poo I had never seen and was wowed.

Then I saw him in a 6 man tag with Ice Train, Ron Simmons, and the Harlem Heat and was shocked that many black dudes were in wrestling. And Bagwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hml0Nu3X0s

And then WWF made him a pimp.

Ron Simmons :allears: I may be the only Ron Simmons fan, but I still feel like I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
https://streamable.com/5kr68

e: f can't figure out how to embed but worth it for 2 cold and butts

e2: is that Sandman in the background smoking?

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 29, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hirez posted:

https://streamable.com/5kr68

e: f can't figure out how to embed but worth it for 2 cold and butts

i'm sandman

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alaois posted:

i'm sandman

I'm Joel Gertner having an awakening.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sandman's smoking makes his staring much creepier

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody remember from about ten years ago there wa this really lovely bad taste articel about wrestlers dying young? I forget where it was from but it got a lot of my wrestling friends in an uproar. It was all inaccurate too; I remember they listed Jake Roberts' age as something and somebody replied with "he wishes" because they got it so wrong.

But my point is, a lot of the people I know of as "ECW guys" are still alive. I know Eddie and Benoit were there for a bit but I don't think of them as ECW guys. It's just Awesome that is no longer with us that I know of. The goddam Sandman is still kicking and good for him.

Also if we're posting cool moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdbPwQnadg&t=524s

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

that made me google, and fuckkkkkkkkk https://wrestlerdeaths.com/dead-wrestlers/

e: I just keep scrolling and scrolling and I just noticed it was by alphabetical order and I'm only at E

RIP Earthquake too good for this world

oh no Mini Vader :(

e2: oh good, Ludvig Borga is dead

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a lot of bad taste deadpool stuff 10 years ago or so right around the time Eddie and Benoit and everyone else was dropping like flies. It was like a real problem but edgelords made it a game and its the internet so people made stuff up and got stuff wrong. Then of course WWE introduced the Wellness Program and we started a generation of "there was never a problem, it was all fake news to hurt WWE".

A lot of the ECW guys are still going but like a lot of them are also in real bad shape especially for their ages. And there's guys like Kronus and Pitbull #2 who didn't make it. I think both Public Enemy are dead. Big Dick Dudley is gone. 911, I think? Brian Lee. Bam Bam. Candido.

Edit: I keep editing this as more names come to mind and I'm super depressed now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

There was a lot of bad taste deadpool stuff 10 years ago or so right around the time Eddie and Benoit and everyone else was dropping like flies. It was like a real problem but edgelords made it a game and its the internet so people made stuff up and got stuff wrong. Then of course WWE introduced the Wellness Program and we started a generation of "there was never a problem, it was all fake news to hurt WWE".

A lot of the ECW guys are still going but like a lot of them are also in real bad shape especially for their ages. And there's guys like Kronus and Pitbull #2 who didn't make it. I think both Public Enemy are dead. Big Dick Dudley is gone. 911, I think? Brian Lee. Bam Bam. Candido.

Edit: I keep editing this as more names come to mind and I'm super depressed now.

Some of the older wrestling video games are approaching a 50% or higher mortality rate.

RIP Starman.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wwes fans have also had an astounding 50%mortality rate over the last 5 years or so

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Some of the older wrestling video games are approaching a 50% or higher mortality rate.

RIP Starman.

Wrestlemania Challenge for the NES is at 66% mortality. Out of the 9 wrestler roster only Hogan, Beefcake and Duggan are still kicking.

edit: It's only 62.5% if you don't include the generic, "Yourself" wrestler so then it's only 5 out of 8 dead.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm kind of amazed Beefcake is still alive. And Duggan even beat cancer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody remember from about ten years ago there wa this really lovely bad taste articel about wrestlers dying young? I forget where it was from but it got a lot of my wrestling friends in an uproar. It was all inaccurate too; I remember they listed Jake Roberts' age as something and somebody replied with "he wishes" because they got it so wrong.

But my point is, a lot of the people I know of as "ECW guys" are still alive. I know Eddie and Benoit were there for a bit but I don't think of them as ECW guys. It's just Awesome that is no longer with us that I know of. The goddam Sandman is still kicking and good for him.

Also if we're posting cool moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdbPwQnadg&t=524s

There's a ton of dead ECW wrestlers, that style and drug use led to a huge death toll.

On top of those three, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotten, Chris Candido, Hack Meyers, Johnny Grunge, Rocco Rock, Kronus, Matt Osborne, Pitbull #2, Rockin Rebel and several others are all dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

MassRafTer posted:

There's a ton of dead ECW wrestlers, that style and drug use led to a huge death toll.

On top of those three, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotten, Chris Candido, Hack Meyers, Johnny Grunge, Rocco Rock, Kronus, Matt Osborne, Pitbull #2, Rockin Rebel and several others are all dead.

Well that sucks. It's a lot more than I knew.

I remember a conversation in the old Wrestling Questions thread was about how hardcore wrestling, done right, isn't actually that dangerous. Maybe the drugs was the real problem more than hitting each other with stuff?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

at it's core, getting hit with stuff probably caused them to use drugs for pain relief or whatever and got addicted; living that work/life was probably hell for a lot of them.

It's kinda like the WWE had it's steroid related deaths because everyone must look like muscle man superman for Vince Mcmahon, and ECW/Indy wrestling they used somas or herion or whatever they could get their hands on.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Drugs were the primary problem, but also the drugs were often in play because of the pain and injuries. While its true that a lot of "death match" stuff is stunts that aren't as bad as they look I think people also got a little over the top in acting like its "safe" to do all the "hardcore" stuff. Some of the stuff is rigged and protected but a lot of it was still unprotected chair shots and being thrown through tables and being put through fire and having barbwire and thumbtacks in you and just a brutal way to treat your body. Hitting each other with stuff isn't actually a healthy way to go through life.

But it wasn't some problem unique to ECW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well that sucks. It's a lot more than I knew.

I remember a conversation in the old Wrestling Questions thread was about how hardcore wrestling, done right, isn't actually that dangerous. Maybe the drugs was the real problem more than hitting each other with stuff?

Death matches as they were done in the 90s in FMW were very safe because instead of bumps you just went into barbed wire or blew fire or did electricity gimmicks. ECW on the other hand had guys taking lots of bumps and taking lots of chairshots to the head, so the physical toll was immense. Drugs were a problem, but the amount of brain damaged suffered by the roster contributed equally to the death toll.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hirez posted:

at it's core, getting hit with stuff probably caused them to use drugs for pain relief or whatever and got addicted; living that work/life was probably hell for a lot of them.

It's kinda like the WWE had it's steroid related deaths because everyone must look like muscle man superman for Vince Mcmahon, and ECW/Indy wrestling they used somas or herion or whatever they could get their hands on.

Hey pal Vince McMahon always made it very clear he never explicitly told his wrestlers to do illegal drugs

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Tired: The mortality rate of ECW Wrestlers

Wired: The mortality rate of the fans always in the front row at ECW Arena

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

It's still surreal to see so many unprotected headshots there were in that era; gently caress Mick Foley was insane for taking 11 in a row from the Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgeZdjsqqfU

gently caress, the behind the footage is disturbing in a way "Don't worry daddy's okay" to his little girl while soaked in blood

edit: also in this video Vinny Mac getting stiched up from I'm assuming unprotected headshots from a chair

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 29, 2020

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hirez posted:

that made me google, and fuckkkkkkkkk https://wrestlerdeaths.com/dead-wrestlers/

e: I just keep scrolling and scrolling and I just noticed it was by alphabetical order and I'm only at E

RIP Earthquake too good for this world

oh no Mini Vader :(

e2: oh good, Ludvig Borga is dead

oooooof what a way to find out la parka died

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pathetic little tramp posted:

oooooof what a way to find out la parka died

Its the other La Parka, not the WCW one.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

God, all those Von Erichs.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

STAC Goat posted:

Its the other La Parka, not the WCW one.

Seriously? I thought it was the OG Parka / L. A. Park

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Nystral posted:

Seriously? I thought it was the OG Parka / L. A. Park

https://twitter.com/laparktapia

our hero still lives, but without the profile picture of his booty getting ate out, so is it a life at all?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OG LA Park is still alive and well and you can see him in MLW being all fat and crazy. He was the "Chairman of WCW" and the one everyone knows and loves.

The guy who died was La Parka II, the guy AAA replaced Park with when he left. But he spent like 20 years in the gimmick and to my understanding basically became "La Parka" and a star in Mexico in his own right. The two of them even feuded over the name and it all came out the same.

There's also like Super Parka and La Parka Negra and El Hijo de LA Park. I think there's a lady too.

Also Volador Jr. I love lucha.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 29, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Randaconda posted:

Ron Simmons :allears: I may be the only Ron Simmons fan, but I still feel like I'm right.

Ron before Farooq and being just fuckin old, was a goddamn machine. It’s lame as poo poo we never got a football guy stable with Simmons as captain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

All this talk of Sting being turned on reminded me of one of my favorites.

I remember this. This was a Nitro, right? Which Nitro was it?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Halloween Havoc '95

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
the greatest night in the history of our sport.

jon moxley.

wrong thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

spongeh posted:

Halloween Havoc '95

Well that explains why I couldn't find it on Nitro. Oh well.

Thanks you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was the first story that I fell in love with in wrestling.

Arn gets fed up of being in Ric Flair's shadow and challenges him to a match.
The entire locker room comes out to watch in awe of these two legends finally facing off.
To everyone's shock Brian Pillman interferes and helps Arn win.
Arn tells Ric he learned from him and he's starting a new Horsemen without him.
Ric begs Sting to help him against these two since there's no one else he can trust.
Sting rejects him and calls it ridiculous that he'd trust him.
Arn and Pillman beatdown Flair.
Ric gathers up the "little stingers" to beg Sting to help him.
Sting agrees but says he'll kill Ric if he betrays him.
Ric immediately betrays him.

I had absolutely no idea who these characters were or their history but I was in love.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DDT Digest posted:

Mmm......Spice....

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Spice was microwave’s mom?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

was that Tracy Smothers?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the indies thread, but Sonny Onoo apparently got Great Muta pulled from Joey Janela's Spring Break because of shady late demands.

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1234305798358142981

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1234306427650486272

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

coconono posted:

was that Tracy Smothers?

Brad Armstrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014