Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

World pass code:
]

dope thanks! I just bought the game and am installing it via steam so feel free to edit the image out if you think there is a chance someone else might snap it up in the interim. mucho appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I would almost suggest skipping steam and getting the direct client download from the website. I don't know if steam has the updated client installer

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, I dunno, I downloaded from steam and it's not letting me in. I tried using the POL password and my square account password because it requires both somehow (???) and it kept telling me my PW was wrong, then on the third try it disabled login attempts for three failed password tries. I'm very confused as to how I can actually even log in now that I have bought the game and added the key to my SE account, and the support site indicates if you aren't getting in, you've probably forgotten your password and have to reinstall playonline or something.

ugh

ed: had to change my POL password on the website and then enter that AND my SE account password to get in. lmao

ed2: now it's saying I don't have an active "content ID" even though the SE account says my account is active. hmm

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 28, 2020

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, I dunno, I downloaded from steam and it's not letting me in. I tried using the POL password and my square account password because it requires both somehow (???) and it kept telling me my PW was wrong, then on the third try it disabled login attempts for three failed password tries. I'm very confused as to how I can actually even log in now that I have bought the game and added the key to my SE account, and the support site indicates if you aren't getting in, you've probably forgotten your password and have to reinstall playonline or something.

ugh

You can set the client to save your pol id and password. Capitalization counts on everything of course.
It also saves your SE account name, but prompts you for the SE account password on login.

If you want to be sure about your pol password, you reset it thru the se account portal online.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thanks! I forgot about the whole, like, basic service plus paying per character. got my one character added and i'm good to go i think. gonna apply the world pass as soon as the updates finish. I think I'll make a Hume like I played on the private server and start out with RDM, then take BLM for my sub, then get BRD, and then see where that all takes me

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 28, 2020

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
If you don't have complete ptsd from setting up your account you can also do the phone app security token for extra inventory space, set it up, get your inventory and then disable it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh thanks I wouldn’t have even thought of that, I will definitely do so sincen it sounds like there are a lot more items and tokens in the mix then there are in classic

For leveling the game is very solo friendly now right? I can do Bastok 1-10 classic with my eyes closed but I get the sense that things are a lot faster now, which is great because I don’t have a ton of time for MMOs but want to see all the cool parts of the world I never got to see since I never really made it past qufim in all the time I played over the years

Ed: assuming I get that far, the client update hard locked my laptop and I had to force restart lol

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 28, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool, I’m on Asura as Dongquixote, Hume RDM

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sorry about the triple post - now that I'm in, do I need Windower or anything? I can't find the graphics settings so i'm assuming I still have to go through and tweak all the info in the registry or whatever, but if I'm remembering correctly there's a good program that increases graphics/resolution without manual stuff, is that still applicable?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
There is a separate options program you'll find in your start menu. Windower is ok but not 1000% needed anymore.

Leveling is solo with trusts.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I use Windower too. Comes with good addons.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m pretty impressed with the windower graphics, it enhanced them enough my lovely laptop was starting to have trouble, so I’m turning them back down a bit. But wow it looks great, I can’t wait to see how it runs with all these tweaks installed on my real PC.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Frog Act posted:

I’m pretty impressed with the windower graphics, it enhanced them enough my lovely laptop was starting to have trouble, so I’m turning them back down a bit. But wow it looks great, I can’t wait to see how it runs with all these tweaks installed on my real PC.

One thing that I found helped a ton was using this dll that makes the game sort of use Direct3D 9 instead of 8. https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/129943-Direct3D8-to-Direct3D9-Proxy-Performance-Helper-(For-FFXI)

I think specifically it works because 9 introduced (or fixed) switchable graphics. When you're playing on a laptop that has both a crappy integrated graphics chipset (some intel junk) and a dedicated GPU, the unmodified game will just run on the first thing it sees, which is the lovely one. This DLL makes it detect the better one and use that instead.

It won't do anything on your desktop, but if your laptop has two GPUs it could be worth a try.

There's also a Glide wrapper that some people use with the game that's supposed to offer major performance improvements, but it seems fiddly to get up and running.

edit: the end of the linked thread mentions some alternative methods of achieving similar things, maybe those are worth a look, too.

Edit2: just tried the last one, dxwrapper, and it does seem to have better performance, and doesn’t seem to have the z-fighting issues with shadows that the other dll has.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 28, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle posted:

One thing that I found helped a ton was using this dll that makes the game sort of use Direct3D 9 instead of 8. https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/129943-Direct3D8-to-Direct3D9-Proxy-Performance-Helper-(For-FFXI)

I think specifically it works because 9 introduced (or fixed) switchable graphics. When you're playing on a laptop that has both a crappy integrated graphics chipset (some intel junk) and a dedicated GPU, the unmodified game will just run on the first thing it sees, which is the lovely one. This DLL makes it detect the better one and use that instead.

It won't do anything on your desktop, but if your laptop has two GPUs it could be worth a try.

There's also a Glide wrapper that some people use with the game that's supposed to offer major performance improvements, but it seems fiddly to get up and running.

edit: the end of the linked thread mentions some alternative methods of achieving similar things, maybe those are worth a look, too.

Edit2: just tried the last one, dxwrapper, and it does seem to have better performance, and doesn’t seem to have the z-fighting issues with shadows that the other dll has.

Thanks man! I’ll fiddle with this next time I’m trying to play on my laptop. I mostly plan to play at home where my regular computer runs it with visual enhancements fine, but it’s nice to have the option

Anyway I got in and met up with some top quality goons, got to level 5 in 5 minutes, and am feeling excited about learning to process all these new mechanics. I’m astonished at how vital asura is right now, Bastok is packed, even more than nasomi, and while I’m sure that will change in places like Valkurm it’s real encouraging. Also a very nice fellow gave me a million Gil which I understand is not much broadly but is definitely enough to keep me in vendor subligars and longswords for the foreseeable future. Think I’m gonna take RDM to some high level first cus it improves skills for every class (does that matter in retail anymore?) and then go for BRD and WHM

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Skill levels matter a lot especially attacking monsters over your level. You can buy books to raise skills with sparks or for gil in the AH.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They also give you some for some Records of Eminence - be sure to do lots of those

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

Skill levels matter a lot especially attacking monsters over your level. You can buy books to raise skills with sparks or for gil in the AH.

Ah word so they matter but leveling RDM to cultivate them isn’t as necessary because there are books now? Cool

I’m also curious about spells - are they generally affordable/findable at merchants? On Nasomi I couldn’t afford refresh but it seems likely that spells can be bought from vendors now, rather then relying on drops?

Ditto for equipment, is it foolish to rely on vendor gear for leveling or does it not matter as the pace is so fast now? Should I be doing the whole saving up for particular pieces and getting a spatha/armor every couple levels?

kirbysuperstar posted:

They also give you some for some Records of Eminence - be sure to do lots of those

Dope, thanks! It’s cool that there are just like an enormous number of those that can be selected and done anytime. Seems like most of the low level ones are pretty doable, so as a general rule before doing anything other than missions, I should try to find an ROE for it? There was something on the BG guide about ROE and floating books but I haven’t seen any books, anyone know what that was?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Frog Act posted:

floating books

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fields_of_Valor

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Grounds_of_Valor

Fields of Valor are found in outside areas and Grounds of Valor are found in dungeon type areas. They are repeatable quests to kill specific monsters or monster types. When completed they award bonus exp, gil, and tabs. Tabs are currency used at the books for stuff like warp, buffs, or food. Grounds are better, because they give you a random bonus buff when completing them. They can be set to auto repeat after completing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kieyen posted:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fields_of_Valor

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Grounds_of_Valor

Fields of Valor are found in outside areas and Grounds of Valor are found in dungeon type areas. They are repeatable quests to kill specific monsters or monster types. When completed they award bonus exp, gil, and tabs. Tabs are currency used at the books for stuff like warp, buffs, or food. Grounds are better, because they give you a random bonus buff when completing them. They can be set to auto repeat after completing.

Oh man thanks! I had a mission for those but thought it was that short lived PvP mode from like fifteen years ago

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For gear, you can use those shards you get from RoE at a vendor to buy some decent leveling gear.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

World pass code:

Edit:redeemed

thanks man! let me know next time we are on at the same time and we can hit port bastok together for the ring benefit. I'm Dongquixote, be on for another hour or so tonight and regularly throughout the week

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Ditto for equipment, is it foolish to rely on vendor gear for leveling or does it not matter as the pace is so fast now? Should I be doing the whole saving up for particular pieces and getting a spatha/armor every couple levels?

Kibner posted:

For gear, you can use those shards you get from RoE at a vendor to buy some decent leveling gear.

Also, you don't need to worry too much about personal gear while leveling - trusts scale to your level and they're always effectively up to date on their gear and skills.

Once you hit 99, trusts do scale further based on the item level of your gear, plus you'll, ya know, want to actually care about gearing up at max level. But don't kill yourself staying geared in the meantime.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Where are the main trust vendors? I know there are some from the login campaign, do the others come from story stuff?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Frog Act posted:

Where are the main trust vendors? I know there are some from the login campaign, do the others come from story stuff?

You can buy a bunch from the city guard NPCs who are part of the conquest campaign or whatever it’s called. Homies who hang by the gate and cast signet on you, letting you earn crystals and conquest points (?).

God, trying to explain anything in this game makes you realize how esoteric it is.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle posted:

You can buy a bunch from the city guard NPCs who are part of the conquest campaign or whatever it’s called. Homies who hang by the gate and cast signet on you, letting you earn crystals and conquest points (?).

God, trying to explain anything in this game makes you realize how esoteric it is.

Ah yeah, word, I saw there were two available for 500cp but I was told they’re only usable during missions and story things? There are just so fuckin many, I feel like they’re easy to miss

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Records of Eminence Beginner Missions get you a handful of trusts, otherwise you get trusts from Log-In points or from talking to certain NPCs after reaching a certain progress point in missions. Vendors generally don't sell Trust scrolls unless there is an Alter-Ego Extravaganza event going on which I think happens 4 times a year or so. Which kind of sucks since some of the extravaganza event trusts are really good, like Amchuchu. Check bg-wiki for a complete list of trusts and where to obtain them.

Also join a Unity to get your Unity leader as a trust. Apururu and Yoran-Oran are generally chosen because they're really good healers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks man, I haven’t even heard of a unity but I was in a group with a friend using Yoran Oran and Trion and they were extremely effective, so I’ll look them up and try to get them specifically

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Frog Act posted:

Thanks man, I haven’t even heard of a unity but I was in a group with a friend using Yoran Oran and Trion and they were extremely effective, so I’ll look them up and try to get them specifically

Definitely check out this guide as it will help teach you a lot of stuff as well as give you a path for progression: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I hit level 30 RDM, cool goons hooked me up with some gil, now I’m wondering what to level. My intention was to play BRD but will it be hard to “fit” into a trust and be effective? Someone in a linkshell told me BRD is useless without relics and high end gear, is that typical MMO exaggeration stuff? I have no interest in high end raids

Besides that what is the current best leveling SJ for RDM? I’m gonna take WHM to 30 for BRD but I figure there might be other options

Any other fun as heck jobs I should try? Historically I always wanted to try Paladin, but rune fencer looks pretty dope

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Bards can only have 2 songs active at a time, but high end gear lets them have 3 and 4 songs active at a time and that is what people expect now in end game content. I don't know bard gear so I can't help with that. You might be able to get into a capacity points party (To get job points) without the ability to sing more then 2 songs, but some groups will still refuse.

White Mage is best sub for Redmage to about level 75 where most Redmages like to switch to Ninja sub. You can solo dps much better as a ninja sub. WHM sub is best for being a RDM in a group.

People don't like Paladins for most tanking jobs, but there are exceptions where paladins are best. Rune Fencers are the favorite to tank most things now.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Also if anyone is worried about time investment just to get to high levels? Don't worry. It took me less than two hours to go from 15 to 50 with trusts. It would have been faster had I not gotten lost and ran in a circle for twenty minutes.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is COR a viable support class without the relics and intense high effort gear? Support and healing are my two main interests. I also don’t know anything about Scholar

Ed: so I think rune fencer looks hella fun, both tank and DPS, cool plate armors, two handed swords. Is it always /BLU or is it /WAR? I’m leveling WHM to 20ish real quick for RDM subjob and them I’m gonna go unlock some advanced jobs, then do the missions with one of those, either COR or RUN. There’s just so MUCH to do in this friggin game

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 3, 2020

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

So I hit level 30 RDM, cool goons hooked me up with some gil, now I’m wondering what to level. My intention was to play BRD but will it be hard to “fit” into a trust and be effective? Someone in a linkshell told me BRD is useless without relics and high end gear, is that typical MMO exaggeration stuff? I have no interest in high end raids

Besides that what is the current best leveling SJ for RDM? I’m gonna take WHM to 30 for BRD but I figure there might be other options

Any other fun as heck jobs I should try? Historically I always wanted to try Paladin, but rune fencer looks pretty dope

If your intention is just to have fun doing quests and missions to see the story in all of the expansions then really any job will be fine. I re-subbed a couple of years ago with this plan and decided to level BST to 99 which was fun but it really didn't click with me. I switched over to BRD/DNC and never looked back.

With a full team of Trusts (tank, healer, Ranger, Samurai for skillchains, and another for pure damage) I would buff them with songs, debuff the mob with slow/DoT songs and dance for more debuffs while dual wielding daggers and fighting alongside them. It was a lot of fun because I had something to do every fight instead of just auto-attack. Also, Spectral Jig is great for exploring and avoiding mobs (it's no MP cost Sneak/Invis that lasts a set amount of time) and Chocobo Mazurka to run fast thru zones.

BRD might not be endgame worthy unless you have shitloads of relics and gear but for the rest of the game it was pretty great.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WarMECH posted:

If your intention is just to have fun doing quests and missions to see the story in all of the expansions then really any job will be fine. I re-subbed a couple of years ago with this plan and decided to level BST to 99 which was fun but it really didn't click with me. I switched over to BRD/DNC and never looked back.

With a full team of Trusts (tank, healer, Ranger, Samurai for skillchains, and another for pure damage) I would buff them with songs, debuff the mob with slow/DoT songs and dance for more debuffs while dual wielding daggers and fighting alongside them. It was a lot of fun because I had something to do every fight instead of just auto-attack. Also, Spectral Jig is great for exploring and avoiding mobs (it's no MP cost Sneak/Invis that lasts a set amount of time) and Chocobo Mazurka to run fast thru zones.

BRD might not be endgame worthy unless you have shitloads of relics and gear but for the rest of the game it was pretty great.

Cool, I don’t think I have time for endgame stuff anyway, so maybe I’ll just level it cus I want to. Spent about three hours this morning just doing...poo poo, got WHM and WAR to 12, unlocked NIN, started nation missions and did the first ROV chapter

It sounds like I can use ROV to skip ahead and it will grant me trust slots so I should prioritize those, but they also require you to do nation missions I guess? The guide is so huge, which is kinda how I’m feeling about things in general, I just have so many options as to where to go or what to do I’m a bit lost. I guess time to do nation missions, level RDM some more, then unlock COR

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I just leveled a job (BST) to 99 with /WAR doing enough of the RoV stuff to get at least to the point I could call 4 Trusts at once. Once there, I focused on soloing thru the story missions in order (RoTZ, CoP, ToAU, etc.). That's when I decided to level BRD and DNC because of the solo utility and since I had no plans to actually do endgame/group stuff it was a great combo.

Definitely get something, anything, to 99 first, it makes everything else trivial.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

WarMECH posted:

Definitely get something, anything, to 99 first, it makes everything else trivial.

Yeah, this is what I did when I made a new account. It's trivial to get i117 gear on top of that to really jack up your stats and steamroll almost anything in the game pre-Adoulin.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool, maybe I’ll just focus on red mage a bit since it has some good overlap and will make some of the other poo poo much more tolerable. Does having a sub job even matter much? Guess I should get WHM to 35 at some point and then go back and get it to 54 at cap?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Since RoV I don't even think you need to do the subjob unlock quest anymore, it's just part of the RoV storyline or something? I remember not having to hunt the 3 rare drops to get it at least.

But definitely get your subjob unlocked ASAP, it adds stats, passives, and abilities/spells that help your main out a lot even if your sub is not at appropriate level.

For my BRD example above having /DNC unlocked dual-wielding, weaponskills, the ability to cure myself/party, Erase status ailments, Sneak/Invis dance, Evasion and Accuracy up, etc. Now that subs go up to 49 there is a lot more available than in the 75 cap days.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Frog Act posted:

Is COR a viable support class without the relics and intense high effort gear? Support and healing are my two main interests. I also don’t know anything about Scholar

Ed: so I think rune fencer looks hella fun, both tank and DPS, cool plate armors, two handed swords. Is it always /BLU or is it /WAR? I’m leveling WHM to 20ish real quick for RDM subjob and them I’m gonna go unlock some advanced jobs, then do the missions with one of those, either COR or RUN. There’s just so MUCH to do in this friggin game

I was kind of “created” into a Cor in the linkshell I randomly joined when I resubbed. I have gone from no/low iLvl to i119, with nearly best in slot with a lot of gear, in almost 2 months. They call me their charity case (I call it a sponsorship), but really most gear I have gotten was from dredging the bottom and taking stuff on free-lot. Eventually I started producing, and started getting runs dedicated to an interest I had.

Depending on what you really want to would dictate how far to go. If you want to do Escha Tier NMs you are going to need a shitload of accuracy and strong WS to even participate. I remember going up to hang out and toss rolls in full Ambuscade Mummu gear and couldn’t hit poo poo. Now I can participate and support (still can’t solo some as Cor is squishy).

An example is that the guys I play with typically tell me I’m not ready for Sky Gods 2.0 due to accuracy constraints. Meanwhile, I participate in any other event, because Cor is sought after.

The big thing I have seen around lately is use a support job to fund what you want to do. I got my Cor up to acceptable speed so I can focus on something else. There is a thread on the reddit that puts this less eloquently and is a bit more dickish in how it is laid out. Cor, Geo, Brd are highly sought after in all aspects. There are some things people won’t do with out a Geo, at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

WarMECH posted:

Since RoV I don't even think you need to do the subjob unlock quest anymore, it's just part of the RoV storyline or something? I remember not having to hunt the 3 rare drops to get it at least.

I forgot about that! Yeah, if you finish RoV mission "Set Free" (1-4) you can just show the key item to one of the subjob quest NPCs and you unlock it for free.