Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Oracle posted:

For where, Chicago?

Injustice Watch rates judges every year. Their guide'll come out next week.

Voteforjudges.org includes 12 bar association rankings, Tribune, etc etc. by chicagoappleseed.org.
Oh yeah sorry I forgot this thread is for all of Illinois, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I just vote against whoever the FOP endorses

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always vote against retaining judges since I figure they've all hosed over someone

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Only one judge has ever lost a retention vote, and that's because Aaron Goldstein spent a year campaigning to get rid of him and the rest of the Democratic party signed on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

I always vote against retaining judges since I figure they've all hosed over someone

Same. It's also not like they are kicked off the bench. I believe they just have to go through the review and appointment process again. Something that probably should be taking place anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

We really need to do away with voting for judges. Probably 99% of voters have zero ability to determine who should be a judge.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

She was down in Thornton bragging about how she's cut costs in the office by reducing redundant staff so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've gotten cynical about this poo poo and now just assume it's some weird voter suppression thing. Maybe there are some establishment candidates at risk in the primary. It shouldn't take weeks to mail out a ballot. Especially for a primary. How the gently caress are they going to handle this during the general?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ugh, I've started seeing Lipinksi tv ads out in the wild. Go away you DINO gently caress, I'm not even in your district! :argh:

Silver lining: Pretty sure I started noticing ads for Marie Newman several days earlier.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What are peoples thoughts on the States Attorney race? I have my doubts about Kim Foxx but I know nothing about the other candidates. Bill Conway is some billionares son, Mike Fioretti is idk just a guy who runs for everything all the time and Donna Moore I have zero clue who she is.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m sticking with Foxx I think. Mostly because the other candidates seem worse. Her handling of the Smollett case was a disaster, but I’m not sure I can complain about anything else.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Popete posted:

What are peoples thoughts on the States Attorney race? I have my doubts about Kim Foxx but I know nothing about the other candidates. Bill Conway is some billionares son, Mike Fioretti is idk just a guy who runs for everything all the time and Donna Moore I have zero clue who she is.

Conway being “self” funded by his dad really turns me off and Fioretti was endorsed by the FOP so I’m sticking with Foxx.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

We really need to do away with voting for judges. Probably 99% of voters have zero ability to determine who should be a judge.

Look up the Last Week Tonight on coroners.

You'd think coroners would need to be, like, y'know... doctors. Nope!

Any schmoe can run for coroner and get elected because nobody knows who the gently caress they're voting for.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This book on coroners/medical examiners is supposed to be pretty good look at the injustices

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d=1583085862160

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Conway being “self” funded by his dad really turns me off and Fioretti was endorsed by the FOP so I’m sticking with Foxx.
This is pretty much my stance as well. I have no real allegiance to Foxx but against those guys it's an easy choice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commisioner is just a bunch of people looking for an easy $100k salary to attend 2 meetings a month right? Like none of these people really matter, or should I actually look into them?

I looked at their meeting minutes and it's 2 meetings a month usually for about 1 hour. I really need to get on this gravy train.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've got a couple friends who work in the water reclamation sector and it's way bigger than the dumb elections make it seem, when I get their recommendations I'll pass them along here

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Commisioner is just a bunch of people looking for an easy $100k salary to attend 2 meetings a month right? Like none of these people really matter, or should I actually look into them?

I looked at their meeting minutes and it's 2 meetings a month usually for about 1 hour. I really need to get on this gravy train.

I don't really know much about elections or who is running or anything, but this is actually a pretty important position. Water Reclamation is huge and given that Chicago is next to one of the largest sources of fresh water, managing the system is of vital importance for protecting fresh water and controlling flooding. The District is ultimately responsible for reversing the direction of the Chicago River, the creation of the shipping and sanity canal, a large powerplant out in Lockport and the largest water reclamation plant in the world in Stickney.

edit - although I personally probably wouldn't worry too much about difference between Democrats unless someone is fairly radical in one direction or the other.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 1, 2020

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm voting Conway but not happy about it. And I understand the irony of voting for a billionaire's son when my vote hinges a lot on wealthy, connected people getting a pass from the justice system.

Also FOP endorsing Fioretti makes him an automatic no.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also my bitching here has paid off as I just got a notice that my ballot is in the mail.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Also my bitching here has paid off as I just got a notice that my ballot is in the mail.

Karen Yarborough goon status confirmed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dumb question now that I have my ballot today. I vote for the person I want (Bernie), and then all the delegates that have his name next to it? It says you can vote for up to 8. But I noticed some candidates have different amounts. Or does that poo poo not matter?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Vote for them they are who goes to the convention and will pay a role in party rules in the future and if there is more than one ballot for the nomination

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I was able to pick all Bernie people down here.

But if I had extra I'd send Warren people

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Pretty sure my sample ballot said I can pick 5 and there were 5 Bernie peeps on it.

Poque posted:

I've got a couple friends who work in the water reclamation sector and it's way bigger than the dumb elections make it seem, when I get their recommendations I'll pass them along here

Haven't heard back from both of them, but one recommended Avila and DuBuclet, gave a "hard no" to Davis, and said she was "ok" with Flynn.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

Pretty sure my sample ballot said I can pick 5 and there were 5 Bernie peeps on it.

Mine says no more than 8.

Anyone know if Dona More is good?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Poque posted:

Haven't heard back from both of them, but one recommended Avila and DuBuclet, gave a "hard no" to Davis, and said she was "ok" with Flynn.

My actual Ballot in Sangamon said 5. When I voted early.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Theoretically, if a candidate has more delegates on a district ballot than permitted votes, they could lose out to splitting, then?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
final recommendations for MWRD from the inside:

Frank Avila
Kimberly DuBuclet
Patricia Flynn

"Sepulveda is an okay fourth pick if you don't like the others." spoiler alert, i will be voting blindly for my friends' candidates.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
One of my insiders also made the same recommendations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I've heard from an environmental engineer that Avila is an oldtimer who's resistant to building green infrastructure and wants to focus on the current system, while Sepulveda is more open to taking more preventative action to keep water out of the system in the first place.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

I've heard from an environmental engineer that Avila is an oldtimer who's resistant to building green infrastructure and wants to focus on the current system, while Sepulveda is more open to taking more preventative action to keep water out of the system in the first place.

Isn't the point to keep the water in the system?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm not sure how much MWRD has sway over things like adding green space to reduce the load on the area's sewer system, but it's the one big thing that we should be doing. It's way more effective than building giant holding tanks. Even like building into the city code that all new roofing on commercial buildings shall have green roofs could help slow storm water down during high volume days.

We could also see a big movement towards permeable pavement all over the place soon, to cut down on runoff.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Popete posted:

Isn't the point to keep the water in the system?

I took it as meaning "reducing the city's water sanitation needs by reducing overuse of water." Like encouraging people to take shorter showers, use more efficient dishwashers, etc. so that less water has to get cleaned up every day

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I took it as meaning "reducing the city's water sanitation needs by reducing overuse of water." Like encouraging people to take shorter showers, use more efficient dishwashers, etc. so that less water has to get cleaned up every day

Yes, that's what I (and my friend) meant.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh I thought they were talking about reducing runoff into the sewers so you have less overflows. I know people are also trying to do that, disconnecting downspouts and planting more etc.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Gonna go early vote tomorrow I'm thinkin' . . . also, it'll be my wife's first election :3: She has always been non-political but decided that wasn't an okay thing to be anymore. I guess my post-2016 anger finally got some attention or something, I dunno.

Anyway, looking at the Peoria-area ballot, most every race in the primary seems to be unopposed, except for two. Can any Peoria-area Goons weigh in?

State's Attorney:
• Jodi Hoos - I can't find a website, and everything I'm seeing is short on details. Which is weird because she's already kinda in the position.
• Chris McCall - he actually has a website, and I think I like what I'm reading. Shame he was a prosecutor, but it seems he was also a defense attorney as well, and it SOUNDS like what he wants to do is pretty good overall.

Peoria County Clerk:
• Gabriel McLeod - Apparently he really, REALLY likes making digital backups of important documents. Seems like he wants to drag the County Clerk's office into the 21st century, whether it wants to or not. Nice.
• Rachel Parker - woah, she's currently the Clerk and is getting primaried by someone in her office (the FOIA officer)!? Oh nevermind, I guess the previous one died and Rachel was appointed. I can't find anything else about her though.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I off on any of these?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Chicago Department of public health and IDPH seem like they really have their poo poo together. Super transparent and seem like they are doing all the right things in regards to contact tracing, testing, monitoring, and school closures. Other states are a shitshow comparatively.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zarin posted:

Gonna go early vote tomorrow I'm thinkin' . . . also, it'll be my wife's first election :3: She has always been non-political but decided that wasn't an okay thing to be anymore. I guess my post-2016 anger finally got some attention or something, I dunno.

Anyway, looking at the Peoria-area ballot, most every race in the primary seems to be unopposed, except for two. Can any Peoria-area Goons weigh in?

State's Attorney:
• Jodi Hoos - I can't find a website, and everything I'm seeing is short on details. Which is weird because she's already kinda in the position.
• Chris McCall - he actually has a website, and I think I like what I'm reading. Shame he was a prosecutor, but it seems he was also a defense attorney as well, and it SOUNDS like what he wants to do is pretty good overall.

Peoria County Clerk:
• Gabriel McLeod - Apparently he really, REALLY likes making digital backups of important documents. Seems like he wants to drag the County Clerk's office into the 21st century, whether it wants to or not. Nice.
• Rachel Parker - woah, she's currently the Clerk and is getting primaried by someone in her office (the FOIA officer)!? Oh nevermind, I guess the previous one died and Rachel was appointed. I can't find anything else about her though.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I off on any of these?

For Hoos/McCall I found the League of Women Voters story on NPR here
A questionnaire she filled out for Pekin Times also an interview
Same for Chris McCall
Ditto for County Clerk candidate Rachael Parker
Gabe McCloud

Opinions on Integrity Units from each state's attorney from an independent paper.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanks! That helped clarify a few things.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that Pekin's newspaper was that useful. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zarin posted:

Thanks! That helped clarify a few things.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that Pekin's newspaper was that useful. Huh.

The only thing I remember about my candidate research after voting a couple weeks ago was listening to this hour long podcast that sounds like it was recording on someone's phone. It was the only information I could get about the district 150 school board primary: https://www.peoriastory.com/peoriastory/2020/02/two-candidates-for-the-peoria-district-150-school-board-.html