Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Data 'saving Picard's life' in Nemesis was actually him beaming over the replacement synth Picard he had secretly made. Real Picard died on Shinzon's ship.

The real Picard died way back in Season 1 of TNG in that episode where some freaky energy being took his body for a joyride, and they had to reconstitute an earlier version of him from a pattern in the transporter buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of set design and user interfaces, was there ever a reason given that Disco had these awesome hologram comms and they’re never used again over viewscreens other than Lorca didn’t like them?

Other than the obvious “lol no way can we retcon these so let’s never mention them again”

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes initially it did seem that Jurati was nervous and preoccupied because she didn't know how to work transporters. But later on it's revealed she was acting that way because she's the mole and she would have to kill Maddox.

They're fully independent of each other, both can be true.
You can be a nervous wreck because you're going to murder your romantic partner and colleague and not be familiar with transporters or know when it's apparently telling you for no reason that one of the things that was setup ahead of time to be transported without your input at all might be a holo-emitter and not a full human being.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not sure which theory is crazier, Rios being a hologram or the RLM theory that Soji could be a Q

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maybe the Q are holograms. Really makes you think.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of set design and user interfaces, was there ever a reason given that Disco had these awesome hologram comms and they’re never used again over viewscreens other than Lorca didn’t like them?

Other than the obvious “lol no way can we retcon these so let’s never mention them again”

Apparently they hosed up the Enterprise, which is why it had to go into repair during S2 and Pike could captain the Disco.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Technowolf posted:

Apparently they hosed up the Enterprise, which is why it had to go into repair during S2 and Pike could captain the Disco.

I thought Enterprise was hosed up from scanning the weird alien planet/archive and Pike just wanted the holograms ripped out while they were at it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

But what if they all died and he's just a hologram recreation.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Weren’t the holocommunications the way Control compromised Airiam? I may be misremembering. But I feel like the way the data stream worked allowed Control to compromise Disco in some way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought Enterprise was hosed up from scanning the weird alien planet/archive and Pike just wanted the holograms ripped out while they were at it?

That’s what I’m wondering though. Other than “it’s a tv show get over it” this just seems like disco is the one ship that’s using view screens while everyone else in the federation has badass hologram chat. And everyone in the federation then went ahead and forgot they had awesome holograms by the time TOS and TNT era rolls around

Disco is like the one friend you kept your AIM account around for because they wouldn’t go install a better chat app.

I know it’s stupid and inconsequential and I’m reading way too much into it but it just makes me laugh how they obviously wrote themselves into something they couldn’t retcon so they just Poochie’d the technology.

E: and my bad, I thought it was Lorca not Pike who was the techno luddite.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

the interior shots of la sirena remind me of a barn, with the big open space split across two levels and that bridge running across the second level so you can look down to where the hogs sleep.

anyway I was looking through ex astris scientia to see some info on it and noticed the guy wrote reviews for all the picard episodes. I had a fun time reading through them, and I'm hoping you will too.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/episodes/pic1.htm

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Giggs posted:

I hope he is a hologram because that would be dumb and the writers using one of the oldest tropes in modern fiction would be perfectly consistent.
Also then maybe Picardo shows up and this show does something decent and good for once. Like he's leading a resistance cell where everyone is Picardo with different headbands and torn sleeves and smoking every variety of inhalant. And then Andy Dick is there and no one really enjoys it but they get him off screen and we all clap and cheer because it was a reference. And of course they all sing the entire time.

Star Trek: Picardo might have been better.

Martytoof posted:

Not really that I can remember from watching, or reading on MA after it came up BECAUSE, oddly enough, there are a couple episodes of DS9 where they use "holographic" communications (because Ron Moore pushed it) on the Defiant and Sisko's office until they realized (Moore included) that they couldn't really pull it off and it added nothing of value.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The holocommunications on DS9 sucked on the bridge but I do think they would've worked fine in the office or boardroom.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I am the guy that liked the Disco holograms.

No I don't really give a poo poo about visual continuity.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm watching this video about the making of The Mandalorian and I desperately want to see this technology integrated into Star Trek programmes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBBUHXPuvg&t=320s

Finally you could go to a new planet every week on a relatively low budget and not have it look like ToS or Orville. Even just for interior ship shots it would be incredible.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

But what if they all died and he's just a hologram recreation.

All he does is watch that holographic simulation everyday. I have no idea what he thinks.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm watching this video about the making of The Mandalorian and I desperately want to see this technology integrated into Star Trek programmes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBBUHXPuvg&t=320s

Finally you could go to a new planet every week on a relatively low budget and not have it look like ToS or Orville. Even just for interior ship shots it would be incredible.

That's a neat utilization of what made 'horizon zero dawn' a technically great game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

A lesser application, but it'd be awesome to have a screen like that as the bridge main viewscreen done like the excelsior bridge concept and not just ending up with actors trying to act in an endless blue void.

Or even just wrapping like the TNG concept one.

And then the camera can move freely without having to take into account shots which have to be tracked for the viewer.

Orville actually does this because they were able to pick up a giant wraparound screen cheap from the Oblivion production. So the windows on the bridge are showing actual images.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 1, 2020

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

piratepilates posted:

Here's a breakdown of all the producer credits the show has on imdb:

Executive Producer: has the most sway in terms of decisions, bigger piece of the pot, some of them can be thought of more like chairmen of the board than day to day creative people
Patrick Stewart ... executive producer (11 episodes, 2020-2021)
- titular character, the show wouldn't exist without him agreeing to it, so he can negotiate for a big piece of control

Michael Chabon ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- showrunner

James Duff ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- works on Star Trek: Discovery, and has a teleplay and story by credit on the pilot

These two basically set the whole thing in motion:
Akiva Goldsman ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Alex Kurtzman ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Heather Kadin ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- part of Kurtzman's production company

Rod Roddenberry ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- son of Gene Roddenberry

Trevor Roth ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- part of Roddenberry Entertainment

Co-executive Producer: lower down the totem pole (technically higher up, the bottom section of the totem pole is technically the most important since it has to bear the weight of the rest) than exec producers, but manage the rest of the crew. More likely to be running the writing room directly.
Douglas Aarniokoski ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Aaron Baiers ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Sam Humphrey ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Damani Johnson ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Dylan K. Massin ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Hanelle M. Culpepper ... co-executive producer (3 episodes, 2020)

Supervising Producer: kind of like a step above writers
Kirsten Beyer ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Ralph Gifford ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Jason Michael Zimmerman ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
April Nocifora ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Associate Producer: does odd jobs for the showrunner, etc.
Robyn Johnson ... associate producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Consulting Producer: does consulting for the show but may not be day to day, and may not have direct sway on what happens
Jenny Lumet ... consulting producer (10 episodes, 2020)

And Hanelle Culpepper is only credited as a producer because of DGA rules. Pilot directors are always given an EP credit of some kind, either on the episodes they directed or even the entire first season. Look at David Nutter’s entire filmography and you’ll see a poo poo ton of pilot directing coupled with an EP credit for the entire first season or just that episode (it varies).

Also Hanelle Culpepper is awesome and I’m happy she got a pilot as big as this one (plus a couple episodes).

This show is obviously “cross-boarded.” Meaning that episodes are shot in pairs simultaneously. That’s why the same director is credited two episodes in a row.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah that tech is incredible. Instead of expensively filming in Iceland they just sent one camera guy for a couple days and did all the 'location' shots in the studio. And having the actors actually be able to see the stuff they are reacting to has to be good for their performances.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Mando is totally on other levels of production (and all other) quality.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Mando is totally on other levels of production (and all other) quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1p9mE9RBw

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Mandalorian has the benefit of ILM and Jon Favreau behind it, that Favreau specifically has a lot of experience using cutting edge CG techniques for filmmaking.

And I'm glad, good for them for raising the bar and improving the state of the art.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Epicurius posted:

Maybe the Q are holograms. Really makes you think.
Maybe everything that happened after the invention of holosuites is just someone playing a video game.

Tiggum posted:

Was there a radiation leak from an improperly repaired drive plate?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tiggum posted:

Maybe everything that happened after the invention of holosuites is just someone playing a video game.

Pike never left Talos IV; every episode after "The Cage" is a Talosian illusion.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Angry Salami posted:

Pike never left Talos IV; every episode after "The Cage" is a Talosian illusion.

Then that Federation Christopher Pike Medal Of Honor really makes ya think...

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DIS S02E01 is like a whole different show. It's so much better without Ash Tyler, the Klingons, and every episode's plot being "are they going to do bad things because it's easy". The Burnham family storyline is all right, aside from the namedropping of established characters, and I just imagine that the names are changed as long as it can make sense. As the saying goes, reusing characters too often makes the fictional universe feel smaller. The episode had Apollo 13 vibes and Commander Reno's a treasure.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

galenanorth posted:

DIS S02E01 is like a whole different show. It's so much better without Ash Tyler, the Klingons, and every episode's plot being "are they going to do bad things because it's easy". The Burnham family storyline is all right if they weren't namedropping established characters, which as the saying goes, makes the fictional universe feel smaller. The episode had Apollo 13 vibes and Commander Reno's a treasure.

You uh aren't going to like this season then.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You uh aren't going to like this season then.

You also, ironically, won't like the season if you like science.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's just the power of math

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

It's just the power of meth

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Yum yum.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

galenanorth posted:

aside from the namedropping

That's an interesting way to say 'shoehorned as gently caress' or 'forced down our throats so we keep watching' but yeah it gets a bit better with Anson Mount on set.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

MikeJF posted:

A lesser application, but it'd be awesome to have a screen like that as the bridge main viewscreen done like the excelsior bridge concept and not just ending up with actors trying to act in an endless blue void.

I've never seen this concept before, but this is kinda incredible. Could you imagine sitting in the theater watching ST3, you know what other Starfleet bridges look like, but everyone talks about how different and futuristic Excelsior is, and then we walk onto the bridge and see that?

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 2, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Doctor Who series finale yesterday has really lowered the bar for big secret reveals. As long as the big secret in the Picard Show isn't a stupid as gently caress retcon that shits all over the original show, I'll forgive it being a stupid reveal.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

We've seen more than 2 holos plus Rios actual.

We've had :

The EMH
Emergency Hospitality Program (English accent)
Emergency Navigation Program (Irish accent)
Emmet (The tactical one. Speaks Spanish)

And Rios Actual

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

galenanorth posted:

The Burnham family storyline is all right, aside from the namedropping of established characters, and I just imagine that the names are changed as long as it can make sense.

Watching Discovery with this sort of attitude makes it far more enjoyable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

marktheando posted:

The Doctor Who series finale yesterday has really lowered the bar for big secret reveals. As long as the big secret in the Picard Show isn't a stupid as gently caress retcon that shits all over the original show, I'll forgive it being a stupid reveal.

What was their big bar-lowering finale?

I'm still working through the first Capaldi season, but I'm open to spoilers about the latest season(s).

It's not still Moffat is it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's some new guy who by all accounts made the doctor incredibly bland and boring. I don't know all that happened in the latest episodes, I checked out after this new showrunner did an episode set on Amazon Warehouse Planet where a worker rebelling against the company was killed by the Doctor because Amazon are the good guys.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

piratepilates posted:

What was their big bar-lowering finale?

Turns out the first Doctor wasn't the first, but rather the doctor is an ancient being from another universe with immortality via the ability to regenerate that ancient Gallifreyans studied to engineer regeneration into their own race, and the Doctor had his memory wiped when they became William Hartnell, which is why they think that was the first Doctor.

Also they destroyed Gallifrey and the time lords again but totally more permanently this time guys

:suicide:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 2, 2020