Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Sublime would be more fun if most of their songs were like April 26, 1992 and less like Date Rape and Wrong Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
My buddy and I were just discussing this and he reminded of a talk we had about it like 12 years ago when he told me it was basically country reggae/punk.

I still like it...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Sublime were never really a thing here in the UK and I see them mentioned a lot on these forums, and I always think 'I always liked em, that tune What it's Like is cool' so Just looked it up and it's not by them

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sublime is poochie from the simpsons but a band

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
This reminds me of the time I played bass with a couple of megastoners who were utterly baffled that I didn't know any Sublime songs to jam on, so much so they'd keep asking every two or three songs "Dude, are you sure you don't know this one???" (Spoilers: I really didn't, I've heard plenty of Sublime on the radio and owned their first album for awhile but their originals were decent enough that I wasn't going to encourage timewasting cover jams, or, you know, bother to learn how to play Sublime in general.) They had a full time rental space that was about a half-hour away from my house, but they had an amp and PA there so all I had to do was bring my el cheapo Squier P-bass, plug in and go, so I said "Sure I'll join up" and off we went.

Anyway the first couple of practices went well enough, then the third time I went out there I found a scrawled note on the door that said "Sorry no practice 2nite, family emergency". This was like ten years ago but everyone involved still had cellphones, email, and text messaging, all of which we'd communicated with in the past couple of weeks, so I drove home and sent an email that was "Okay, if you can't take literally two seconds to spare me an hour of my time and gas money on the road, good luck finding another bass player." (It was also pretty obvious the "family emergency" was "We would rather spend the time tonight getting high.")

I just looked them up and all I could find was the same myspace page with no changes since they originally sent it to me so I guess they never did find someone else. Too bad, their originals were actually pretty promising for people who liked Sublime. The true stupid music poo poo is being too stupid to ever get it together enough to actually play music.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I still like Robbin the Hood

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sublime is poochie from the simpsons but a band

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I still like Robbin the Hood

I mean, 40 oz is impressive for the time for an album partially recorded in basements and backyards. They were the backyard band made good. Granted the best songs are the covers but I'll still tip my hat to them for that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You know what's not stupid music poo poo, body count. When I heard this intro I did a complete 180 and now give Ice-T a lot of respect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPHJLB1ZeAc

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 29, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fret nut mutey thing? Your move, Djent bros!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's way better than an old sock.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A legit replacement, tbh, and one I've used plenty in the past before using Gruv Gear Fret Wraps full-time.

Also, not stupid music poo poo, but it's always nice to find cheap ways to get what otherwise would be prohibitively expensive gear for the "Matt Pike sound"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0uAUd--NkY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wouldn't the cheapest technically be getting a jet city amp since matt pike used soldanos in high on fire

also if you want to diy a fretwrap some adhesive-backed weatherstrip foam and a roll of velcro will give you enough for like a dozen guitars for about $10-15. the only difference between that and the ones that sell for $20 a pop is they glue the foam to the velcro

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 29, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wouldn't the cheapest technically be getting a jet city amp since matt pike used soldanos in high on fire

also if you want to diy a fretwrap some adhesive-backed weatherstrip foam and a roll of velcro will give you enough for like a dozen guitars for about $10-15. the only difference between that and the ones that sell for $20 a pop is they glue the foam to the velcro

lol yea they just plugged a fuzz face into a plain amp with some humbuckers. wow.

The Jet City (as mentioned above), a legit Soldano amp, would make more sense.

Not to mention even in Sleep he plugged his Soldano Supercharger preamp into the FX return on his Laney AOR. Soldano all day baby.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also he close mikes pignoses and solid state oranges for extra top end

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol yea they just plugged a fuzz face into a plain amp with some humbuckers. wow.
It's funny that they immediately ruled out using a solid state amp. Weren't most of Sunn's amps solid state?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

It's funny that they immediately ruled out using a solid state amp. Weren't most of Sunn's amps solid state?

No but the Alpha and Beta series (more the latter) are raw as gently caress. These dudes are nobs. Most (non-Fender) Sunn amps are a Marshall preamp tacked on to the front of Dynacord (tube) amp.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the Orange Crush Pros 120 are loving legit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't like how "without breaking the bank" means "for 1500 pounds." I watched maybe a half dozen videos and I think I saw exactly one squier and zero epiphones. I get that they're a music store but it's still a bummer - they basically never choose a cheaper guitar or amp in order to save money.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Especially given that both Squiers and Epiphones, on what I've recently played/seen, seem to have realized that good quality control is pretty good to stay in business.

e: Or, y'know, with Epiphone at least that'd be the case if not for Gibson's whole deal.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 29, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Probuckers will doom just fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stupid music poo poo kickstarter edition
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yoni-amos/drop-a-guitar-strap-adjuster

An answer to a question nobody ever asked for bonus fartsniffing ad copy talking about how the "inventor" is some kind of guitar god.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BTW if you REALLY wanna solid state the gently caress out try modding a pignose to use a real speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plb0O_M5uLw&t=370s

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

You know what's not stupid music poo poo, body count. When I heard this intro I did a complete 180 and now give Ice-T a lot of respect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPHJLB1ZeAc

:yeah:

I got to see him/them play at Lollapalooza in 1992!

That was a trip. We were all on so much acid we thought we were in heaven.

Watching Al Jourgensen use a pile of bones and skulls for his mic stand dosed out of your mind was

something

:corsair:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Some of the best guitar/bass sounds I've ever gotten have been from $200 solid state amps, the only real world problem is they don't last after getting bounced around in a van for a few months.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/fender-fsr-blues-jr-iv-la-vice-tt-hot-pinkfoam-green-weminence-cannabis-rex/29893912

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Philthy posted:

I got to see him/them play at Lollapalooza in 1992!

That was a trip. We were all on so much acid we thought we were in heaven.

Watching Al Jourgensen use a pile of bones and skulls for his mic stand dosed out of your mind was

something

:corsair:

Hey me too! I thought they were pretty corny but :shrug: I was pretty hosed up too and hardly remember it now.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool that ice-t used his pull to get his friend noticed but let's be honest at best they'd be a local opening band without him

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

at best they'd be a local opening band

At a show I wouldn’t want to see

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I remember in my circle of friends at the time we played him a lot. He was mixed in with Cypress Hill, Infectious Grooves, Janes, Ministry and Skinny Puppy.

Yeah I dunno. It was a blur.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I will see any band that screams about killing cops with their evil dick.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My electric guitar is an ESP LTD M-155 that I bought from a guy when I was in college. I was trying to find out more information about it. I hit up ESP and they told me it's the same as an M-100, but the inlays are offset. So, I downloaded the catalogue from their website that would have the M-100 in it. This is not about my guitar. It's about the example that the catalogue contains for the ESP custom shop:

2000 was a hell of a year.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Google "Chris Compston" for more in that vein.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Siivola posted:

Google "Chris Compston" for more in that vein.

I regret this decision

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Played a show here in San Diego last night and evidently the venue owner or someone definitely likes Steve Vai enough to have no less than three of his promo photos and a shitload of his picks:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

maybe it's a function of having gone to college and later worked at one when i did but there are way too many sublime tribute bands and by that i mean more than zero

Sublime cover bands are literally everywhere around beachside Florida. It’s insane.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Achmed Jones posted:

My electric guitar is an ESP LTD M-155 that I bought from a guy when I was in college. I was trying to find out more information about it. I hit up ESP and they told me it's the same as an M-100, but the inlays are offset. So, I downloaded the catalogue from their website that would have the M-100 in it. This is not about my guitar. It's about the example that the catalogue contains for the ESP custom shop:

2000 was a hell of a year.

yeeeeeah this is tacky as gently caress and i want the hell out of it

it’d go great with that silk sci fi cover pinup shirt that one science guy got in a lot of trouble for

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

I regret this decision
No, you loving don't. Embrace the dumb.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Played a show here in San Diego last night and evidently the venue owner or someone definitely likes Steve Vai enough to have no less than three of his promo photos and a shitload of his picks:

Awesome!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Is that John Taylor hanging out all by himself? :(