Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QwertySanchez posted:

Oh and carbon dioxide in water turns into carbonic acid too so whatever they didn't breath in above the water's surface was probably what was responsible for the chemical burns a couple of people had too.

Well, maybe? I'm not a chemist but apparently that doesn't matter.

Even if the carbon dioxide reached equilibrium in the water, it would be no stronger than a carbonated beverage.

Mountain Dew will dissolve limestone, coral, and teeth eventually, but causing chemical burns in a matter of minutes is beyond its capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Isn't industrial dry ice unsafe for food usage due to potential contaminants? What are the chances she bought pure food-grade stuff as opposed to the cheapest she could get in bulk?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Memento posted:

Isn't industrial dry ice unsafe for food usage due to potential contaminants? What are the chances she bought pure food-grade stuff as opposed to the cheapest she could get in bulk?

It can contain oil residues, but I doubt it would contain anything caustic. If they poured dry ice pellets into the pool, it might have simply stuck to skin..

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

Even if the carbon dioxide reached equilibrium in the water, it would be no stronger than a carbonated beverage.

Mountain Dew will dissolve limestone, coral, and teeth eventually, but causing chemical burns in a matter of minutes is beyond its capability.
Equilibrium with what? The soda isn't even at equilibrium after you open it which is why it fizzes.

Just quibbling here because the only burns here would have been frostbite but also want to point out carbonic acid chemistry is awesome, dynamic, and still being completely understood. Dry ice in water is a pressure where it's doing cool things you'd never see soda do, but also not exactly going to contact acid burn either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

Equilibrium with what? The soda isn't even at equilibrium after you open it which is why it fizzes.

an atmosphere of pure carbon dioxide at one bar, the worst‐case scenario for the gas hovering over the surface of the water

Soda demonstrably has a higher concentration of carbon dioxide dissolved in it than is possible at one bar. That’s my point. It’s at equilibrium at something greater than atmospheric pressure. Google says four or five bar absolute.

zedprime posted:

carbonic acid chemistry is awesome, dynamic, and still being completely understood. Dry ice in water is a pressure where it's doing cool things you'd never see soda do

How so? My naïve understanding is that it sublimates at no more than atmospheric pressure, plus a few centimetres for the thickness of the chunk of dry ice.

Is it capable of supersaturating the water or what?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 1, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

an atmosphere of pure carbon dioxide at one bar, the worst‐case scenario for the gas hovering over the surface of the water

Soda demonstrably has a higher concentration of carbon dioxide dissolved in it than is possible at one bar. That’s my point. It’s at equilibrium at something greater than atmospheric pressure. Google says four or five bar absolute.

How so? My naïve understanding is that it sublimates at no more than atmospheric pressure, plus a few centimetres for the thickness of the chunk of dry ice.

Is it capable of supersaturating the water or what?
Dry ice sublimates at 50 atm or something, it's why you can still do dry ice bombs without strong conduction to outright melt it.

Carbonic acid is polyprotic and the different forms have very different water chemistry so different concentrations behave differently as each type becomes more or less prevalent. Doing the full p chem diligence on pH and solubility is a nightmare. But we know enough qualitatively to rule out acid burns without doing the gymnastics

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
e. nm.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/z1TDvq3.mp4
:tif:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Rollin' coal
https://i.imgur.com/qLfUouD.mp4

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

For one brief moment, I thought, "Better grab the extinguisher."

Then he started blowing on the gasoline fire in an attempt to put it out, and I was like, "Oh, right. Why would he have an extinguisher?"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/IymUwNw.mp4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's the first time I've seen the fire vid with sound.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why the hell is he trying to run the engine while it's hanging from the engine hoist?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Why the hell is he trying to run the engine while it's hanging from the engine hoist?

I can't find the original post where the dumbass explains himself, but IIRC it's not even a proper hoist, it's just some straps and the car is up on blocks or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jBv5OHb.mp4
:tif: INCOMING :tif:

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
does this guy even still have swarm-access to centaurium?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

It's a shame there's no audio for this, real or fake.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rubber 2 looking good

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Looks like they had barrels of fun!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

sticksy posted:

It's a shame there's no audio for this, real or fake.

It’s this:

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/fire-oil-warehouse-madhavaram-chennai-deaths-injured-rescue-firefighters-1651182-2020-02-29

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1232318112436908033

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

We need a :tif: but for cold

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/ukasHNu.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/yuqheis/status/1234216618613526530

https://twitter.com/yuqheis/status/1234221369686155265

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I had no idea French dudes could sound even *more* annoying, thanks for that.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

So bad he starts cursing in German :classiclol:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

what the hell are orbeez

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MRC48B posted:

what the hell are orbeez

Orbeeza deez nuts!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B posted:

what the hell are orbeez

Polymer spheres that expand in water.

Imagine a tub full of eyeballs. It’s like that.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
2am youtube lead me to watching industrial fire fighting action. Big nope from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjk7DhAq1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xnzx6dJZI

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this one made me laugh real good when it panned over to the other guy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The real OSHA is being out in -55 degree weather not wearing gloves.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

We need a :tif: but for cold
mabbe

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

EKDS5k posted:

Goddamn. Someone in some incarnation of this thread said it: "Farmers, famously known for making it to old age with all their fingers intact." This is the exact type of thinking that gets people maimed and killed. You know what you're doing, except that you have no idea what you don't know. Like the farmer who died from CO poisoning from using a pressure washer inside a tank, along with his wife and friend who rushed in to try and save him. Or you are aware of the dangers but haven't accounted for the unexpected. It's perfectly safe, until you slip and reflexively try to grab a spinning PTO shaft that has no guards on it.

And yet farmers will fight tooth and nail to remain exempt from even the most basic of OSHA regulations and safeguards. Because they "know what they're doing."

You're close but you missed it. We are very aware that we may die today. We get used to it. I haven't had to farm in many years, but every day was based around, "How will I die today?" There's too much work to worry about OSHA. We risk ourselves. We do not risk others. We tell others to retreat to a safe 100 foot distance. You accept personal responsibility for your own death. The work just needs to be done. Safety would make it impossible. There's no money in it. At best, you're turning a loss of $100,000 a year. Safety would double the loss. You just have to work and that's how it is.

We're well aware of enclosed space danger. We don't weld old gas tanks without filling them with water first. We do wear respirators around chemicals. We do keep deluge showers if necessary. You never touch a spinning shaft. You tuck your shirt in, role your sleeves up, and tuck your pants into your boots. You never step over a PTO. You inspect every piece of equipment before you use it.

Maintenance is half your job. You do take the side shields of the big roto-tiller because they cause the blades to jamb. The trick, is to not shove yourself into running equipment. There's a switch on your right side that disengages the PTO clutch. Use it.

The fact is, you don't have the money to make everything perfect. You just have to remember what you did. I used to work with a chaff saver that wanted nothing more than to murder you. I knew it wanted to murder me, so I knew how to jamb the latch with a piece of wood so it wouldn't cut me in half. That's one of dozens of things that wanted to murder me. That's why the uninitiated need to stand back.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh hey I didn't know Mike Rowe had an account here.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mostlygray posted:

You're close but you missed it. We are very aware that we may die today. We get used to it. I haven't had to farm in many years, but every day was based around, "How will I die today?" There's too much work to worry about OSHA. We risk ourselves. We do not risk others. We tell others to retreat to a safe 100 foot distance. You accept personal responsibility for your own death. The work just needs to be done. Safety would make it impossible. There's no money in it. At best, you're turning a loss of $100,000 a year. Safety would double the loss. You just have to work and that's how it is.

We're well aware of enclosed space danger. We don't weld old gas tanks without filling them with water first. We do wear respirators around chemicals. We do keep deluge showers if necessary. You never touch a spinning shaft. You tuck your shirt in, role your sleeves up, and tuck your pants into your boots. You never step over a PTO. You inspect every piece of equipment before you use it.

Maintenance is half your job. You do take the side shields of the big roto-tiller because they cause the blades to jamb. The trick, is to not shove yourself into running equipment.There's a switch on your right side that disengages the PTO clutch. Use it.

The fact is, you don't have the money to make everything perfect. You just have to remember what you did. I used to work with a chaff saver that wanted nothing more than to murder you. I knew it wanted to murder me, so I knew how to jamb the latch with a piece of wood so it wouldn't cut me in half. That's one of dozens of things that wanted to murder me. That's why the uninitiated need to stand back.

Quoting this a) so it isn’t lost, and b) there’s a thread title or 3 in there somewhere.

OSHA VI: the trick is to not shove yourself into moving equipment, TRUCKFUCKLER

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

OSHA IV: Safety would make it impossible. There's no money in it.
OSHA IV: There's too much work to worry about OSHA.
OSHA IV: Safety would double the loss. You just have to work and that's how it is.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
I don't know how to fix the systemic injustice(s) that lead(s) to farmers feeling they need to adopt unsafe practices in order to work at their jobs. I don't even know what they all are. But I'd sure prefer to live in a world where people don't have to do unsafe things.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

OSHA IV: Safety would make it impossible. There's no money in it.
OSHA IV: There's too much work to worry about OSHA.
OSHA IV: Safety would double the loss. You just have to work and that's how it is.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If following proper safety precautions costs you $100k/yr on top of a loss of $100k/yr, you should not be in business.