Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pity that Germany can't afford a high quality high speed network, unlike the wealthy industrial powerhouses of Europe: Italy, France and Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I thought that maybe my terrible anecdotal experience was just anecdotal, but holy poo poo it's even worse than the last time I looked at the statistics in like 2012. Only a third (!!!) of intercity trains are less than 6 minutes late, i.e. 66% of trains run late.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/20/trains-on-time-germans-deutsche-bahn-railway

This is contrast to Switzerland where 89% run on time, which is a delay of < 3 minutes. Granted, Switzerland is smaller but has a far higher density and more complex rail network, so I guess this is comparing apples to like, pears.

I got caught overnight -twice- in Germany due to missed train connections, so now I won't take the train unless it's a direct to my destination. Trains are way more comfortable than flying, and the reduced carbon footprint is nice, but I also actually want to get where I'm going.

French and Italian major intercities run super reliably on time (minus strikes), but their regional trains are pretty awful as well, possibly even worse than the German regios.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saladman posted:

I thought that maybe my terrible anecdotal experience was just anecdotal, but holy poo poo it's even worse than the last time I looked at the statistics in like 2012. Only a third (!!!) of intercity trains are less than 6 minutes late, i.e. 66% of trains run late.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/20/trains-on-time-germans-deutsche-bahn-railway

This is contrast to Switzerland where 89% run on time, which is a delay of < 3 minutes. Granted, Switzerland is smaller but has a far higher density and more complex rail network, so I guess this is comparing apples to like, pears.

I got caught overnight -twice- in Germany due to missed train connections, so now I won't take the train unless it's a direct to my destination. Trains are way more comfortable than flying, and the reduced carbon footprint is nice, but I also actually want to get where I'm going.

French and Italian major intercities run super reliably on time (minus strikes), but their regional trains are pretty awful as well, possibly even worse than the German regios.

They have loads of money they just refuse to invest in modern reliable infrastructure, it annoys lots of European wonky types, they claim it's damaging the whole EU economy and is preventing Germany from achieving its green goals.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What do you think the odds of rail travel being restricted due to coronavirus are at this point? It seems likely to me over the next few weeks, I don't see why it would stop spreading and lots of people are freaking out about it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

pointsofdata posted:

What do you think the odds of rail travel being restricted due to coronavirus are at this point? It seems likely to me over the next few weeks, I don't see why it would stop spreading and lots of people are freaking out about it.

Austria already halted rail traffic with Italy

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Jesus, really? Wow they closed the Brenner tunnel. poo poo I’m supposed to go to Merano next week, fortunately by my own car but I hope I don’t get stuck in a quarantine. I guess there’s really no way to know.

Shutting the entire Brenner tunnel seems like nuts to me, given that flights and cars and buses exist, but I’m not a public health official.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm in no way a public health expert either but I am a bitter cynic so my first reaction is public health ministries want to be seen ~taking action~ and thereby justify all that time in meetings, their budgets, etc. Plus it seems like contagion and mortality are not so bad so they can claim an easy win thanks to their measured, wholly appropriate, comprehensive respone.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Saladman posted:

Jesus, really? Wow they closed the Brenner tunnel. poo poo I’m supposed to go to Merano next week, fortunately by my own car but I hope I don’t get stuck in a quarantine. I guess there’s really no way to know.

Shutting the entire Brenner tunnel seems like nuts to me, given that flights and cars and buses exist, but I’m not a public health official.

news and social media are saying that air arrivals are all having their temperatures taken when they land

I don't know of anything like that at the borders for road users as yet

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The brenner base tunnel was closed only for a few hours because of two covid suspects in a train. Connections are running normally at the moment.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ras Het posted:

It isn't closed, they just stopped one train.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Several European governments have now advised their citizens to not go to Northern Italian unless they really need to. This doesn't have any impact directly but it's the first step that might lead to stronger actions later on.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Oh no, I used to live and work in Bolzano. My former colleagues. :ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Chiming in too late to say that our experience with German rail was fine but not great. We spent two months travelling across Germany in late 2017 and caught a medium-distance train every few days, comprehensively enough to visit every single province. There were quite a few delays but nothing insanely bad and we definitely never got caught out overnight.

As opposed to one of our Italian experiences where the train just stopped at a random station in the middle of nowhere, a garbled announcement and everyone alighted. Apparently there was a snap strike so everyone hung around this tiny station for 3 hours until the strike was over, got back on the train and resumed the journey :v:

And for the two months we were in France we didn't even bother, since there were two months of rolling strikes for the exact period we were there. I'll take a consistent short delay over the uncertainty of strikes any day.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

pointsofdata posted:

They have loads of money they just refuse to invest in modern reliable infrastructure, it annoys lots of European wonky types, they claim it's damaging the whole EU economy and is preventing Germany from achieving its green goals.

Seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

When I was taking the train to Innsbruck I had the choice of stopping in Trento or Bolzano for the night and went with Trento and I feel like I should have taken another day for Bolzano as well.

The pictures make it look like Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Drone posted:

Like, I travel reasonably frequently (within and without Europe) for work, but not nearly enough to qualify me for like... Lufthansa Senator status or anything. Can I still just randomly roll up to any old Star Alliance lounge and be like "yo, can I just buy my way in to your comfy lounge with nice bathrooms and free buffet/booze"? If so, what does that usually cost anyway?

It depends on the lounge. Some are open and unaffiliated with any airline and will let literally anyone buy a "day" pass (though they're often only good for a few hours), some are operated by or affiliated with a particular airline (or group of airlines) and will allow only passengers of the airline(s) in question to buy a pass, and some won't allow anyone in at all who doesn't meet the qualifications. The most exclusive (and fanciest) lounges usually fall into the latter category, usually being reserved for first class passengers and/or very high status frequent flyer members only; the elite don't want to have to endure the proximity of any old random poor who can scrounge up thirty bucks. Some of the open lounges also accept members of certain lounge programs or travel credit card programs.

When you can buy passes, most I've seen range from $25-$50, depending on the level of service, and will usually give you access to all the amenities (unless there are extra charges for some, like top-shelf booze, spa services or renting private "nap" rooms).

Mostly I fly Ryanair, where the closest you get to a "lounge" is when there's actually a bit of roof over the outdoor holding pen they cram you into to wait for your plane to arrive so that you don't get rained on quite as much. I do fly business class BA and Aer Lingus to the US once a year or so, though, so I've experienced a few lounges:

- BA Gallery Club (business class) lounges don't do paid passes, as far as I know; they're reserved for business class (Club World) passengers and for Silver tier Executive Club members flying any class (or similar tier levels on any oneWorld frequent flyer program). Their First lounges are similarly restricted, but reserved for first class passengers and Gold tier or equivalent members. The Galleries Club lounges at Heathrow Terminal 5 are pretty decent; not especially fancy or anything (you'd want the Concorde Room first-class lounge for that experience), but they usually have a reasonable buffet-style hot and cold food selection (not fancy, but usually edible) and of course the requisite free booze, and usually are laid out well enough without being too cramped. The restrooms are also excellent; nice big individual private rooms and plenty of them (like, more than a dozen in the T5B lounge alone). Pro tip: in Heathrow Terminal 5, head for the T5B satellite terminal and try the BA Galleries Club lounge there; it's usually all but deserted compared to the two main Terminal 5 lounges and odds are your BA flight will be departing from T5B anyway.

- Aer Lingus lounges are available to any Aer Lingus or codeshare passenger for a fee, regardless of status, and is free for business class passengers and higher tier members. (There's also a Bank of Ireland credit card that offers Aer Lingus lounge access, but because Irish rewards credit cards suck, it's ridiculously expensive and not worth paying the monthly fee for it unless you fly enough to earn tons of bonus Avios with it.) I've only used their lounge in Heathrow Terminal 2, as I normally fly out of Shannon instead of Dublin and there's no lounge there. The Heathrow lounge is very nice and comfortable, more so than the BA lounge I'd say, and it's usually very quiet as well, so it's a nice place to relax during a five-hour layover. However, the food options are completely lacking (it's literally just crackers, lovely processed cheese, and biscuits, and last time I was there both of their espresso makers were broken as well, so I couldn't even get a proper coffee; ugh...). Restroom isn't nearly as nice, being a standard little thing with two stalls, but it's usually clean, and the lack of crowds means there's rarely a wait anyway despite the small size.

- At ATL, BA shares The Club at ATL with several other airlines, several Priority Pass-type lounge programs, anyone who buys a lounge pass, and quite possibly any and all random people who happen to wander inside while looking for the duty free shop. It is utter shite, honestly; the seating is literally *more* cramped and uncomfortable than the seats at the Concourse F gates, the food is disgusting inedible garbage, and every time I've seen it the place has been crammed to standing room only with hordes of people, three or four planeloads of luggage blocking every aisle, and mobs of screaming children running about unsupervised. Leave a jacket on your seat to go get something from the bar and when you come back, someone will have thrown it on the floor to steal your chair. The restroom is basically as crappy as the public terminal restrooms, except that it's incredibly tiny (there's literally one stall) and half the poo poo in it is broken and/or out of stock at any given time. About the only thing the place has going for it is a full-service bar (probably to keep the aforementioned unsupervised children from poisoning themselves by guzzling Jack Daniels straight from the spout like they do with all the juices), so unless you really want to get wasted on free booze but can't abide the notion of pouring your own drinks, I'd definitely skip this place. I don't even bother to use it when I can access it for free, so I definitely wouldn't pay the $40 for a day pass.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

kiimo posted:

When I was taking the train to Innsbruck I had the choice of stopping in Trento or Bolzano for the night and went with Trento and I feel like I should have taken another day for Bolzano as well.

The pictures make it look like Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion.

It's a beautiful place, that the New York Times is trying to ruin by publishing multiple articles each year about it and the Dolomites. :ssh:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

It's a beautiful place, that the New York Times is trying to ruin by publishing multiple articles each year about it and the Dolomites. :ssh:

Well, now they're balancing that out by running daily news articles about northern Italy being a plague zone.

I'm still planning on going next week, but I expect everywhere to be empty as hell of people, even though I'll be staying in the province of Trento. Two friends were supposed to meet us there, and they cancelled it as their flight was taking them into Milan, since the company of one of them sent out an email today banning travel to Lombardy and Veneto. (That is, without a much better reason to go than "skiing weekend w/ friends", and that's not the kind of thing you want to lie about given the stakes of "getting fired" vs "having a fun weekend.")

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey goon friends, let me tell you a tale.
Due to some civil unrest over the last few months here in Chile, my dad finally caved in and offered to help me immigrate to Valencia, Spain, where he lives.

He has a few conditions for me (aka, I have to lose weight for it), but he is gonna find me a job so I can get a proper worker visa to immigrate legally.

He did tell me I should look into people living in Spain and (possibly) Valencia that could give me tips and information about the area and to build a network of friends.

Anyone here could help with that?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm going to be in Barcelona for about a week at the end of April, actually, Castelldefels for an event. So there is a group of us and we have a rental house in Castelldefels. For getting from the Airport and from Castelldefels into the city for activities (afternoon/nights after the event stuff is over) it looks like Train is a good option? Should I get a Hola BCN 5 day transport pass for 38 euro? It seems like a lot of people are recommending just getting the 10 trip passes, but I'm not sure most of those people are training in and out of Castelldefels.

Also, there is one day at the end of the trip where we will need a hotel. I have Hyatt points so I'm planning on booking a Hyatt. There appear to be two, the Hotel Sofia near the Barca stadium, and Regency Tower in the Business district. In either case, we will not be spending any time at the hotel, just checking in, going out to do tourist stuff, then going back to sleep and head to the airport in the morning. Is one or the other more convenient to get to from Castelldefels by public transport and/or easier to get to the airport from? Or any other specific reasons I should book one over the other? The Regency is cheaper, but I'm guessing also not near anything (but closer to the airport it looks like). I'm not sure being near anything matters because we won't be going in and out.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Siegkrow posted:

Due to some civil unrest over the last few months here in Chile, my dad finally caved in and offered to help me immigrate to Valencia, Spain, where he lives.

He has a few conditions for me (aka, I have to lose weight for it), but he is gonna find me a job so I can get a proper worker visa to immigrate legally.

He did tell me I should look into people living in Spain and (possibly) Valencia that could give me tips and information about the area and to build a network of friends.

It's going to be hard remotely. Sure you may make a friend or two but you really need to be on the ground.

I think you need to kill two birds with one stone:

- Find some clubs and activities to join. It doesn't have to be 'OMG weightloss' but a few things you've wanted to try. These clubs will be evening and weekend activities. They are everywhere and i'm sure Valencia is no exception.

1.) Five-a-side football
2.) Rugby
3.) Hiking/Climbing/Swimming/Sailing - anything to get you out.

You will lose weight, you will have something to do and you'll make friends.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It seemed easy to make friends in Spain but yeah, you need a starting point. Once you know someone well you'll easily meet many of the people they know.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah I suppose that's the ticket.
In any case I have to lose weight before I make my way to Spain.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Meetup.com might be a good place for meeting people, though I don’t know how common it is in Spain. Colleagues are also usually a good starting point when you arrive.

There’s probably also a Valencia Expats group on Facebook that you could join, though moving across the world to hang out with your countrymen might not be that appealing.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

If weight-loss is one of the requirements, then why not give the footy a spin right away? That way, you'll get to exercise on a regular basis, and you'll be familiar with the game when you move. I recently moved to Denmark, and even though I can't stand the game myself, I joined a local club purely for the social aspect of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kicking around the idea of Scotland By Train. Any thoughts, dos or don'ts, particularly good routes...?

I'm sorry for being vague but the idea of "just go around Scotland" is literally all we have right now, any specific itinerary we'd set after we've settled on a main way of travelling. Background: we're coming in from mainland Europe so it's not a big once-in-a-lifetime trip, and we already previously spent a week each in Inverness and Edinburgh, hitting the major tourist spots (castle, old town, Loch Ness, Urquhart, Culloden...). Probably looking at a stay of 7-9 days. We certainly want to hit Edinburgh and Inverness again, we're not averse to doing day trips by coach or something either. Never went to Skye and have been told I was a fool for it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well first off there aren't any trains on Skye

so you're looking at either getting a bus (which I wouldn't recommend because the service is likely to be pretty unreliable) or hiring a car, and once you're hiring a car for Skye you might as well hire it for the whole trip so then you can work to your own schedule instead of having to rely on public transport

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

Hey, my wife and I moved to Barcelona a year ago (from the US).

I don't know that you will be able to make friends remotely (we haven't made too many, even being here) but I'm happy to help out if I can. Feel free to PM with questions or whatever. Good luck, once I had a job offer the process took 6 months, so see you in a while I guess. But yes, meetups are popular here. Whatever kind of hobbies or community you're already into, look for the same thing here, it probably exists

Elysium posted:

I'm going to be in Barcelona for about a week at the end of April, actually, Castelldefels for an event. So there is a group of us and we have a rental house in Castelldefels. For getting from the Airport and from Castelldefels into the city for activities (afternoon/nights after the event stuff is over) it looks like Train is a good option? Should I get a Hola BCN 5 day transport pass for 38 euro? It seems like a lot of people are recommending just getting the 10 trip passes, but I'm not sure most of those people are training in and out of Castelldefels.

Also, there is one day at the end of the trip where we will need a hotel. I have Hyatt points so I'm planning on booking a Hyatt. There appear to be two, the Hotel Sofia near the Barca stadium, and Regency Tower in the Business district. In either case, we will not be spending any time at the hotel, just checking in, going out to do tourist stuff, then going back to sleep and head to the airport in the morning. Is one or the other more convenient to get to from Castelldefels by public transport and/or easier to get to the airport from? Or any other specific reasons I should book one over the other? The Regency is cheaper, but I'm guessing also not near anything (but closer to the airport it looks like). I'm not sure being near anything matters because we won't be going in and out.

Castelldefels is zone 1, so the same advice applies. 10 trip is the standard one to get. They did change the system in January so that you can't share 10 passes anymore (they have another one that allows sharing that is more expensive) but if you know you'll use them it's usually the best option. I don't know the value of the tourist options but here's a handy site: https://www.mapametrobarcelona.com/en-calcula-billete-mensual.php

And yeah, the cost of everything is the same so the best option depends where exactly you are and the current timetables. Just do what Google Maps tells you, really.

Both are on metro lines and relatively convenient to the center. The Regency is maybe 5 minutes farther from the center and 20-30 minutes closer to the airport (by transport, less difference by taxi). If you want to spend some time outside of the tourist center and explore other neighborhoods then Sofia is a better choice, it's in Les Corts which I like a lot (and closer to others). I don't know what's in the immediate vicinity of the Regency (I've only been down there to go to Ikea) but probably not much.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Hey, my wife and I moved to Barcelona a year ago (from the US).

I don't know that you will be able to make friends remotely (we haven't made too many, even being here) but I'm happy to help out if I can. Feel free to PM with questions or whatever. Good luck, once I had a job offer the process took 6 months, so see you in a while I guess. But yes, meetups are popular here. Whatever kind of hobbies or community you're already into, look for the same thing here, it probably exists

Much appreciated! Tho I don't have Platinum, there are other ways to keep in contact.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kicking around the idea of Scotland By Train. Any thoughts, dos or don'ts, particularly good routes...?

I'm sorry for being vague but the idea of "just go around Scotland" is literally all we have right now, any specific itinerary we'd set after we've settled on a main way of travelling. Background: we're coming in from mainland Europe so it's not a big once-in-a-lifetime trip, and we already previously spent a week each in Inverness and Edinburgh, hitting the major tourist spots (castle, old town, Loch Ness, Urquhart, Culloden...). Probably looking at a stay of 7-9 days. We certainly want to hit Edinburgh and Inverness again, we're not averse to doing day trips by coach or something either. Never went to Skye and have been told I was a fool for it.

I was advised that Scotland could be pretty hard by train simply because a lot of the things to see may no the in the towns and the smaller, more remote, the location the less often the trains. I think someone commended that between two major places (Aberdeen and ??) there was a train once very two hours.

I would advise a car. I did the 500 route below and it was just easy going when we wanted, staying in lovely places out of town and all the usual freedoms a car brings.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

Any particular recommendations? It looks like Trento province is Corona-free and everything seems to be open at the moment, so my wife and I are still heading there even though our friends had to cancel... so now we have no plans.

We're into food, museums, interesting architecture, particularly unique castles, and small cute towns, and we have 6 days in the area -- 3 in Bolzano and 3 in Riva (where I've been before). I've never been to Sudtirol except just driving through one time from Innsbruck to Padua. I've lived in the foothills of the Alps for more than a decade so not particularly interested in skiing, although we might take the skis just in case the weather is great, and the views never get old. It looks like there are a crazy number of really good restaurants in the area too. The only things I know about are the sunken city in Reschensee and the walled city of Glurns.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trento itself is nice enough, nothing that special but it has some good food and a chill atmosphere and some moderately interesting museums. I was there for a month last summer and loved it, the area is incredibly beautiful. I'm not sure what there is to do in winter other than winter sports (try snowshoeing if you don't ski), eating, and chilling in a heated pool at the hotel though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

Trento itself is nice enough, nothing that special but it has some good food and a chill atmosphere and some moderately interesting museums. I was there for a month last summer and loved it, the area is incredibly beautiful. I'm not sure what there is to do in winter other than winter sports (try snowshoeing if you don't ski), eating, and chilling in a heated pool at the hotel though.

I ski, it's just not the top priority since I can ski within 90 minutes of my house at more than a dozen nice ski resorts. If I'm somewhere further away I try to prioritize locally-unique stuff above skiing. It's like if you live in San Diego, your top priority when you visit Sicily is probably not to hit the beaches.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Saladman posted:

Any particular recommendations? It looks like Trento province is Corona-free and everything seems to be open at the moment, so my wife and I are still heading there even though our friends had to cancel... so now we have no plans.

We're into food, museums, interesting architecture, particularly unique castles, and small cute towns, and we have 6 days in the area -- 3 in Bolzano and 3 in Riva (where I've been before). I've never been to Sudtirol except just driving through one time from Innsbruck to Padua. I've lived in the foothills of the Alps for more than a decade so not particularly interested in skiing, although we might take the skis just in case the weather is great, and the views never get old. It looks like there are a crazy number of really good restaurants in the area too. The only things I know about are the sunken city in Reschensee and the walled city of Glurns.

I lived in Trento for my last year and a half there. I had a girlfriend who moved back to Vienna, so I spent most weekends commuting between the two cities. When I lived in Bolzano, I would either take the cable car up to Renon or take a bus up to Alpe di Suisi or Val di Fassa and do two day hikes in mountain plateaus and valleys. Incredibly beautiful and the rifugios are quite a nice amenity that you don't get with hiking in US National Parks.

I'm not a big skier, so I can't help you there. There are trails in the valley between Brixen/Bressanone and Bolzano, which have farmers selling roasted chestnuts in the autumn. From this, I came across a monastery that looks like a castle (Saben Abbey) that overlooks Chiusa and a small castle in Velthurns/Velturno. There's also Klebenstein, Schloss Runkelstein, Schloss Maretsch and Schloss Rendelstein on the outskirts of Bolzano. You can easily reach all four of these using the trails along the Talvera River. Runkelstein is the largest of the bunch. Good call on Reschensee and Glurns, although those are quite a distance away from Bolzano (didn't have a car). If you're headed in that direction, Meran/Merano is a beautiful, small city with a world class spa and has two castles nearby (Trauttmansdorff and Tirol).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a Michelin starred restaurant in Trento. Not that I ate there but it's there.

Also if you're going to ski might as well take the train up to Innsbruck, it's a ski paradise

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Saladman posted:

In between those places is Rovereto, I've lived there for a bit. It has a lovely town center that feels quite different from Bolzano (it's more similar to Verona in a more Italian style) and there's some nice stuff:
- the modern art museum (Mart) is one of the top ones in Italy
- there is a pretty nice castle by a piece of the city wall, also near the river, which has a war museum in it
- there is a gigantic bell up on the hill (the Bell of Peace) that you can walk up to, and it offers a nice view. It's like €3 to enter the area.
- there is a futurist art museum that I unfortunately haven't made it to yet

Rovereto is not great for eating but you can find some cool stuff:
- Pizzangolo has cheap takeout pizza that is really good, or Putipu if you want to sit down
- Al Silenzio as a good hipster/fancier option
- Il Doge is gonna be full of German tourists, but it's cool because it's in an old basement and here you get to try the typical local stuff. You can also do that in Osteria del Pettirosso in a less touristy environment.
- I also quite liked Assaporando, a Sardinian place that has a family-run feel, and L' Orto di Pitagora which is an excellent vegan place, something I have not seen much in Italy.
- Bar Christian is good for more casual hanging out and eating, lots of students go here. They had a great (and huge) seafood pasta when I was there.
- Cherry is the best gelato place, only open around summer though

Bolzano of course has the Ötzi museum, and lots of opportunities to have Tiroler food and beer.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Oh yeah, the Otzi Museum. I lived behind it for a year and never went, even though it was run by my research center and I could go there after hours. lol

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How long could I live in Germany (Berlin) and/or Netherlands (Amsterdam, maybe Hague/Rotterdam) with 10k US$? That's the amount I can legally carry physically with me since my country won't let me send money overseas. Yes you read that right.

I'm planning on emigrating to Europe and due to Circumstances, it may come down to hopping on a plane and looking for a job once I'm there. This is basically The Last Resort, but if it comes to that I'd like to have an idea so I can plan around it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

How long could I live in Germany (Berlin) and/or Netherlands (Amsterdam, maybe Hague/Rotterdam) with 10k US$? That's the amount I can legally carry physically with me since my country won't let me send money overseas. Yes you read that right.

I'm planning on emigrating to Europe and due to Circumstances, it may come down to hopping on a plane and looking for a job once I'm there. This is basically The Last Resort, but if it comes to that I'd like to have an idea so I can plan around it.

Probably like a year if you really crimp your lifestyle. More realistically, indefinitely, as you'd get a job after a couple months, and you can pay your living wages bartending or serving burgers or whatever job you can easily get, assuming you don't have an online job that you can maintain.

If you're planning on going as an illegal immigrant though, then that's a pretty bad idea almost no matter what country you're coming from. Probably no matter what country you're coming from, since you're rich enough to have $10k + a plane ticket.

There are lots of countries that won't let you send money overseas btw, it's extremely common, to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if it sums up to nearly half the world. Algeria, Tunisia, Ethiopia, current-economic-crisis-state-Lebanon, etc, all but forbid overseas transfers (sometimes beyond some nominal amount, for instance it's like €100 per month in Tunisia, and around €200/year in Algeria).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Saladman posted:

Probably like a year if you really crimp your lifestyle. More realistically, indefinitely, as you'd get a job after a couple months, and you can pay your living wages bartending or serving burgers or whatever job you can easily get, assuming you don't have an online job that you can maintain.

If you're planning on going as an illegal immigrant though, then that's a pretty bad idea almost no matter what country you're coming from. Probably no matter what country you're coming from, since you're rich enough to have $10k + a plane ticket.

There are lots of countries that won't let you send money overseas btw, it's extremely common, to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if it sums up to nearly half the world. Algeria, Tunisia, Ethiopia, current-economic-crisis-state-Lebanon, etc, all but forbid overseas transfers (sometimes beyond some nominal amount, for instance it's like €100 per month in Tunisia, and around €200/year in Algeria).

No, nothing as dumb as going in illegally. My passport allows me to visit most countries in Europe for 3 months without needing a visa; of course this doesn't allow me to work there but I checked with both Germany and Netherlands' embassies here and going in with a tourist "visa" (just my passport) and looking for a job willing to sponsor me for a work visa is 100% legal, so that's pretty much my plan. I'm a developer, I reckon I should be able to get a job before the 3 months are done but, again, worst case scenario I could just hop to another country and get another 3 months to look for something.