Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean i doubt that dustin/hager was worse than whatever garbage elias or bray wyatt match occurred this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basically the worst AEW's had to offer would still stand out as pretty good compared to WWE's trash

It doesn't even have to be worse in terms of quality. Take the stupidest bump taken in an AEW tag flipfest match this year, and I'd still gladly take it over Kofi leaping backfirst out of the ring onto the floor or Nakamura getting slammed headfirst on a non-gimmicked piano

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OFFICER LIGER posted:

i mean i doubt that dustin/hager was worse than whatever garbage elias or bray wyatt match occurred this year.

Not even WWE has had a match with a sexual assault in this year

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

It's only March

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM: Darby/Guevara
HM: Mox/Jericho
MOTYC: PAC/Orange Cassidy
MOTY: Hangman & Omega / Young Bucks

Nth all these, the tag bout is better than my MOTY last year (Cody/Dustin)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin, AEW Revolution, 29/02
MOTYC: Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks, AEW Revolution, 29/02
HM: Cody vs. MJF, AEW Revolution, 29/02
MOTYC: PAC vs. Orange Cassidy, AEW Revolution, 29/02
MOTYC: Jon Moxley vs. Chris Jericho, AEW Revolution, 29/02

OC could legit be AEW champion one day, Mox/Jericho just hit MOTYC for me cause the storytelling and pacing were spot on but holy poo poo that tag match is Match of 2020 and it's not even close

Nth

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Rarity posted:

WMOTY: Dustin Rhodes vs. Jake Hagar, AEW Revolution, 29/02

OC could legit be AEW champion one day, Mox/Jericho just hit MOTYC for me cause the storytelling and pacing were spot on but holy poo poo that tag match is Match of 2020 and it's not even close

Nth this whole post.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Rarity posted:

Nth all of these. Thanks for the shortcut, Rarity! Haha

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Hager versus Dustin was like an okay match on WWE TV or even on pay-per-view I guess and if aew is supposed to be the alternative to WWE, then match was bad. Sort of why Cody vs. Mjf didn't work for me. It felt too similar to WWE match where the loser heel just happens to win and didn't live up to the build-up

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Finally got through Revolution:

HM: Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin, AEW Revolution, 2/29
MOTYC: Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks, AEW Revolution, 2/29
WMOTYC: Cody vs. MJF, AEW Revolution, 2/29
MOTYC: PAC vs. Orange Cassidy, AEW Revolution, 2/29

And in four days' time my personal MOTY has been topped. I watched through the tag match and had come back to the PPV later. That whole time I was thinking about how awesome the kick out at one after the Golden Trigger and HANGMAN DOES THE OWA :supaburn: were. This match is so good I'm literally going right back to it after watching the rest of the PPV.

Going WMOTYC for Cody/MJF because almost everything about that match kept me from getting into it. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't treat this one similarly to Miz/Fiend (although, lol) since they were both blood feuds where the face didn't come out like a house on fire to beat the poo poo out of the heel.

And then Pac/OC :allears: I was watching this alone in my house and yelling at the TV during OC's comebacks. I legit want him to get a title push someday (soon?).

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

HM: Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin, AEW
Revolution, 29/02

AEW is pretty good, you guys.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rarity posted:

I am honestly surprised by this. Are you SURE?, Even with the cucking storylines, Mandy, and and and..

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

AEW got on base so WWE could knock it out of the park

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

extradite THIS! posted:

HM: Viktor Tykki vs The San, 2/29 FCF Myrskyvaroitus

I didn’t have massively high expectations because The San has never really wowed me in the ring that much, but Viktor Tykki is just an incredibly solid pro wrestler who’s apparently able to have a fantastic match with anyone. Dude could be a big deal anywhere in the world... and I hope he is a few years down the line.

2nding this. Tykki is a star.

Outside of the main, the show was decent-ish. In-ring wasn't that special (basically a rookie/undercard show) although I thought Pekko/McMetal was solid.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

2nding this. Tykki is a star.

Outside of the main, the show was decent-ish. In-ring wasn't that special (basically a rookie/undercard show) although I thought Pekko/McMetal was solid.

Yeah, not their best show at all. Good spot to get some of the newer/less utilized wrestlers some experience, but especially the first few matches were well on their way to ”pretty bad”. What on earth are they doing with Mieto? Is this weird comedy stuff what he learned from Shibata at the NJPW LA Dojo?

And yeah, that might actually have been the best McMetal match I’ve seen. He had his working boots on. I just generally don’t like the guy (doesn’t help that he’s apparently a big time rear end in a top hat in real life) but he can be a pretty effective heel when they let him. Pekko is incredibly good for how young/green he is, though. Dude was running rings around a guy who’s been wrestling for most of the time Pekko has existed as a human being

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With Jericho vs. Mox getting the votes to upgrade from HM to MOTYC, AEW now has a total of 12 MOTYCs for the year so far, only one behind New Japan. The New Japan Cup was supposed to have started today and New Japan would have probably pulled into a clear lead again as a result, but with all the shows canceled due to coronavirus fears, there's a chance that for the first time in years New Japan will soon not be leading the count in terms of MOTYCs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God Jerusalem. You just made me remember Naito vs Hiromu should be happening in less than 24 hours and now I'm sad.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
HM: Jon Moxley vs. Chris Jericho, AEW Revolution, 29/02

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Going WMOTYC for Cody/MJF because almost everything about that match kept me from getting into it. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't treat this one similarly to Miz/Fiend (although, lol) since they were both blood feuds where the face didn't come out like a house on fire to beat the poo poo out of the heel.

I wouldn't call it a WMOTY but it's hosed up that Cody came out with less intensity against MJF than Darby did against Sammy. It eventually got to that blood feud energy but didn't feel like a "here's a match Cody had walked through fire to get" encounter.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wouldn't call it a WMOTY but it's hosed up that Cody came out with less intensity against MJF than Darby did against Sammy. It eventually got to that blood feud energy but didn't feel like a "here's a match Cody had walked through fire to get" encounter.
it sort of makes sense given that he has arn there trying to keep him cool and not get too fiery. but logic isn't as good as stuff that looks cool and pops the crowd. he should have been like when austin used to just toss the belt when he was halfway down the ramp, slide in and start whooping rear end

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

jesus WEP posted:

it sort of makes sense given that he has arn there trying to keep him cool and not get too fiery. but logic isn't as good as stuff that looks cool and pops the crowd. he should have been like when austin used to just toss the belt when he was halfway down the ramp, slide in and start whooping rear end

I think the story they were trying to tell was that Cody endured all the stipulations and finally had MJF where he wants him, and he knows he can beat him in the ring. That's why he didn't chase into the crowd at beginning. It's an interesting attempt, but yeah fell flat.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 3, 2020

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
MOTYC: Hangman Page/Kenny Omega vs Young Bucks - AEW Revolution

Greatest tag team match I've ever seen, this just had everything. All four played their parts expertly and lol at Hangman throwing Nick into the corner to tag Matt. There were several fake outs on heel turns, Hangman hot tag getting an immense pop, Rolling Northern Lights up the ramp, Matt giving a "what have I become??" Just perfect and my favourite AEW match so far

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Momo Watanabe vs Mayu Iwatani from Stardom 1/19.

A packed house and a tremendous match. Go watch it, it's up now!

This match aired on Stardom's TV show so they've put it up on YouTube (along with Bea/Jamie vs Jungle/Konami which was also very good) so watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZM_ikd5bdw

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

I think the story they were trying to tell was that Cody endured all the stipulations and finally had MJF where he wants him, and he knows he can beat him in the ring. That's why he didn't chase into the crowd at beginning. It's an interesting attempt, but yeah fell flat.

Yeah, Cody was treating it as a victory lap, and after realizing it I kind of dig the match more.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Look, what I'll say about Omega/Page v. Bucks is that it would be a better match if it had five less minutes of spots and ended on the OWA...

...but it's still the best match I saw this year and I finally get Hangman now so

Also nhting these:

Sammy and Darbin are the future and OC has struck gold with his gimmick, he does a move, any move and everyone goes wild.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Kairi Sane vs Shayna Baszler, WWE RAW 3/2/20

The match itself was fine from a wrestling standpoint (no real botches or anything), but Shayna's style absolutely does not mesh well at all with the main roster audience. She got THIS IS BORING chants, and the only time the crowd fired up was when Kairi was on offense. Combine that with Becky being absolutely god awful on commentary, and yeah.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

DarkstarIV posted:

The match itself was fine from a wrestling standpoint (no real botches or anything), but Shayna's style absolutely does not mesh well at all with the main roster audience. She got THIS IS BORING chants, and the only time the crowd fired up was when Kairi was on offense. Combine that with Becky being absolutely god awful on commentary, and yeah.

2nd this. What dogshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Rey Mysterio and Humberto Carrillo vs. Angel Garza and Andrade - WWE Raw 3/2

These guys are so good that they managed to make this a standout match in spite of the constant commercial breaks. All four would be big stars elsewhere (I mean, Rey would be ANYWHERE obviously).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Volador Jr vs Templario, CMLL Arena Puebla 3/2.

Highly recommend you check this out, these guys went above and beyond the typical Puebla main event. Great match.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dias posted:

Look, what I'll say about Omega/Page v. Bucks is that it would be a better match if it had five less minutes of spots and ended on the OWA...

To be fair, there wasn't much after the OWA - double buckshot lariats and the pin. Then again, when the half hour announcement went up I was amazed it hadn't been longer, the whole thing was so enjoyable it flew by

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Remember when they had some pretty good matches for the NXT Women's Championship back in the day?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Is it Shayna's fault that WWE audience members are idiots?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mfcrocker posted:

To be fair, there wasn't much after the OWA - double buckshot lariats and the pin. Then again, when the half hour announcement went up I was amazed it hadn't been longer, the whole thing was so enjoyable it flew by

Oh, I'm just nitpicking at the end of the day, you could even argue that ending on the OWA wouldn't work because the story is still "Hangman is getting tired of the Elite's bullshit" and despite me thinking it could be shorter and better off for it, it never felt exhausting either, it's just a personal thing about nearfalls and diminishing returns when you need A Finisher to end everything.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It had to finish with the Buckshots so that the win was 100% Hangman's. If he won with OWA then it would have always meant he'd had to rely on someone else's finisher to get the job done

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

It had to finish with the Buckshots so that the win was 100% Hangman's. If he won with OWA then it would have always meant he'd had to rely on someone else's finisher to get the job done

I think I'd have done OWA into an immediate Buckshot, but yeah, I get it. Hangman is a real good tag team wrestler.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dias posted:

I think I'd have done OWA into an immediate Buckshot, but yeah, I get it. Hangman is a real good tag team wrestler.

Well, he got to learn from one of the best, Yujiro

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dias posted:

Oh, I'm just nitpicking at the end of the day, you could even argue that ending on the OWA wouldn't work because the story is still "Hangman is getting tired of the Elite's bullshit" and despite me thinking it could be shorter and better off for it, it never felt exhausting either, it's just a personal thing about nearfalls and diminishing returns when you need A Finisher to end everything.

Oh I found it entirely exhausting, but in a good way. That match was beautifully relentless

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW Anniversary Show (Taichi Stream), 03/03

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW Anniversary Show (Taichi Stream), 03/03

So many Destinos..... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

So many Destinos..... :stare:

I'm counting this as an nth :colbert: