Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It doesn't actually matter what you say as long as you say something but this new guy at work says "swinging" instead of "behind" or "corner" and it's slowly driving me insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd argue it does matter what you say. I'm listening for 'Corner', 'Behind', 'Hot' and 'Sharp'.

Though after a few days it probably wouldn't matter anymore.

Edit: I forgot hot.

The General fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 19, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

pile of brown posted:

It doesn't actually matter what you say as long as you say something but this new guy at work says "swinging" instead of "behind" or "corner" and it's slowly driving me insane

Every place I've worked at swinging meant you were bringing something to the window to plate so if you were in that area you would know some hot poo poo was coming and you need to get out of the way.

Might be a regional thing I dunno

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Every place I've worked at swinging meant you were bringing something to the window to plate so if you were in that area you would know some hot poo poo was coming and you need to get out of the way.

Might be a regional thing I dunno

Yeah, swinging hot, totally a thing

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The way everyone around here uses it is that "swinging" means you're carrying something that's taking up some space, so the person must account for that plus your body passing behind/around them. "Reaching" is when your body isn't moving but your hand and potentially something else will be.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

At a hotel I worked with a kitchen so spacious during normal non-banquet service the cooks would frequently go entire shifts without actually being near each other. Lead to some of them getting lazy about call outs, until the chef noticed and promised to see about getting free-post-shift beers if he heard them getting back in the habit of proper call outs.

They got into the habit of yelling loud monologues about how anyone who got in the way of them and their hot/sharp/heavy/melt your skin off boiling sugar would die really quick.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Always fun having a guy in your kitchen who used to work in a place like that. Coming down the line with hot fryer oil yelling "I WILL BURN YOU AND I WILL LAUGH".

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

The General posted:

I'd argue it does matter what you say. I'm listening for 'Corner', 'Behind', 'Hot' and 'Sharp'.

Though after a few days it probably wouldn't matter anymore.

Edit: I forgot hot.

I'm big and tall so people were always asking me to move vats of boiling pasta and soup for them. I'd always yell "hot and heavy!".

I'm writing a research paper on the future of age discrimination in the food service industry. Any thoughts?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Weird news everyone. I got hired in radio again so I’m slightly reducing my restaurant hours until I get offered that sweet sweet salary again at the station (hopefully).

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Weird news everyone. I got hired in radio again so I’m slightly reducing my restaurant hours until I get offered that sweet sweet salary again at the station (hopefully).

:hfive:

I worked my first close last night and had a bit of a breakdown around 1. I was not prepared to be on line by myself. No disasters as far as putting food out, but I was real down on myself for not getting to all the cleaning and just had to throw in the towel at 2:45. Cried the whole way home and for a while after. I get why most cooks are alcoholics/addicts now.
Four days sober though!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Clean as you go as much as possible and don't be a slob flinging poo poo everywhere.
It'll not only be easier to clean up st night it makes you look more professional.
Time to lean time to clean!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TVsVeryOwn posted:

:hfive:

I worked my first close last night and had a bit of a breakdown around 1. I was not prepared to be on line by myself. No disasters as far as putting food out, but I was real down on myself for not getting to all the cleaning and just had to throw in the towel at 2:45. Cried the whole way home and for a while after. I get why most cooks are alcoholics/addicts now.
Four days sober though!

Good on you for being sober!

Do you have to run a full line by yourself at that hour, or does your pub go to "bar food, limited fried snacks after 11pm [or whatever]"? I've been the last (wo)man standing on some shifts and if the people on salad/grill/pasta didn't have their poo poo correct before they left when their stuff was off the menu, hooo-boy you best believe chef would be hearing about it the next day. I'd give those stations a cursory wipe-down, but gently caress if I'm staying until 2:45 to detail their mess.

edit: the worst was at one place when cooks would high-tail it out as soon as possible, leaving grunt-me to wrap all their stuff, clean the cutting boards, wipe down their low-boys, etc. on top of taking out garbage, mopping the floors, pick crap out of the floor drain, do dishes, and everything else closing entails. Then I'd finally get out at 1:30 am, and I'd see them sitting at the bar of our own store. Those guys can gently caress my sand-filled vagina.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 21, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Good on you for being sober!

Do you have to run a full line by yourself at that hour, or does your pub go to "bar food, limited fried snacks after 11pm [or whatever]"? I've been the last (wo)man standing on some shifts and if the people on salad/grill/pasta didn't have their poo poo correct before they left when their stuff was off the menu, hooo-boy you best believe chef would be hearing about it the next day. I'd give those stations a cursory wipe-down, but gently caress if I'm staying until 2:45 to detail their mess.

edit: the worst was at one place when cooks would high-tail it out as soon as possible, leaving grunt-me to wrap all their stuff, clean the cutting boards, wipe down their low-boys, etc. on top of taking out garbage, mopping the floors, pick crap out of the floor drain, do dishes, and everything else closing entails. Then I'd finally get out at 1:30 am, and I'd see them sitting at the bar of our own store. Those guys can gently caress my sand-filled vagina.

We hard close at 2, last food at 1:45. "Limited" menu from 10 on but I still have to do fiddly bullshit like feature salads and nachos.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Good on you for getting sober. It's a hard thing to do in this line of work

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Who the hell orders a feature salad after 10

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

Who the hell orders a feature salad after 10

don’t doxx me

we work long & weird hours and it’s often the only reliable way to get vegetables when I’m traveling

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I eat salads for breakfast, so I would totally order a salad late night and if it's too hard for your staff, dont put it on a late night menu.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Has anyone seen the T-Mobile commercial that lauds someone taking shifts off the clock in a food truck to "jump start her career"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Has anyone seen the T-Mobile commercial that lauds someone taking shifts off the clock in a food truck to "jump start her career"

I haven't but it definitely reminds me of Lyft's "Everyone needs a side hustle!" Like...I guess so. But they really shouldn't.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

I think you misheard it. Here's the commercial, and the audio is pretty clearly "picking up shifts on the clock"

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Z_F4/metro-by-t-mobile-rule-your-day-daniela

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Owners vs BOH, a tale as old as time.

(It's Oglaf, but it's a SFW one)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Owners vs BOH, a tale as old as time.

(It's Oglaf, but it's a SFW one)

The next page is not SFW but is a satisfactory conclusion to the story, if anyone was wondering.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Trying real hard not to take my hours getting shredded personally. 0 last night, 0 tonight, tomorrow is my last scheduled shift for the week and I'll be lucky if I book 4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Trying real hard not to take my hours getting shredded personally. 0 last night, 0 tonight, tomorrow is my last scheduled shift for the week and I'll be lucky if I book 4.

Take that poo poo personally. The ability to buy food and pay rent is really loving personal.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Take that poo poo personally. The ability to buy food and pay rent is really loving personal.

It's not that dire. I get a disability cheque that pays for rent and most of my grocery bill. It just means that getting out from under my credit cards is gonna take that much longer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

It's not that dire. I get a disability cheque that pays for rent and most of my grocery bill. It just means that getting out from under my credit cards is gonna take that much longer.

You're on disability and they're cutting your hours? I was gonna say that might be a violation of the ADA but you spelled check with a q so I think you might be in Canada, if they have a thing like the ADA maybe talk to a local disability lawyer.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You're on disability and they're cutting your hours? I was gonna say that might be a violation of the ADA but you spelled check with a q so I think you might be in Canada, if they have a thing like the ADA maybe talk to a local disability lawyer.

Nothing federally as strong as the ADA. I'll start looking into BC's laws, but it's all pretty toothless.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope you can work something out though friend. That sucks.

I've got today and tomorrow off as my weekend, for my birthday.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

I hope you can work something out though friend. That sucks.

I've got today and tomorrow off as my weekend, for my birthday.

Happy Birthday, Manny!

(And a Merry Unbirthday to all my other goons!)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Tartine is running scared.

https://twitter.com/tartineunion/status/1232134197600509952?s=21

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
To add a litte levity to the thread I though everyone might enjoy the meltdown someone had in the gbs reddit thread deciding to argue over what is and is not appropriate to do when serving alcohol to over intoxicated people.

Noslo posted:

She definitely right if it's told as is, but the story has some red flags to question the narrator

And I think the story was written the day after, for the exact reason you said that someone that drunk wouldn't be so coherent

But restaurants can, will and should cut someone off who has had too much to drink

the smart thing is to just make the drinks virgin and comp them to keep the customer happy

Que ~2 pages of back and forth with this poster getting progressively more unhinged in a truly steller example of Dunner-Kruger as they both proceed to both invent a strawman to attack and wildly backpedal on their initial idea to offer another that is just as illegal and dangerous while stroking their own ego over how hard they are taking down every other poster.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
See y’all? I don’t just stir up poo poo in this thread! I do it in all the threads on this dead comedy hell site!

Also, Twitter.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Lol at the idea that a bar would hesitate to cut someone off and 86 them if they got belligerent

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

pentyne posted:

Que ~2 pages of back and forth with this poster getting progressively more unhinged in a truly steller example of Dunner-Kruger as they both proceed to both invent a strawman to attack and wildly backpedal on their initial idea to offer another that is just as illegal and dangerous while stroking their own ego over how hard they are taking down every other poster.

Wait how is giving a drunk person who orders a Jack and Coke a free regular Coke instead illegal or dangerous?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Wait how is giving a drunk person who orders a Jack and Coke a free regular Coke instead illegal or dangerous?

Go read the thread so babbys doesn't have to do this all over again

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lol, I was there when that poo poo went down. I didn't pipe up, but (please excuse my terrible 90's joke) BABBY's got my back.

So let's start another internet fight,* instead! Thanks to a friend hooking me up, I just met with the owner and the chef of a reaaaalllly swank place in town. Like, charging $12 for a cold beet salad swank. I hit it off nicely with both owner and chef, and chef asked me if I could come in tomorrow night. Essentially: come see how service runs, help out on dish/prep, maybe show 'em what I've got. in the knife skills department. So, like, a casual one night stage, I guess.

I am NOT looking to start yet another slapfight about paid vs unpaid stages, I'm looking at this as a one-night working interview, to see if this kitchen and I are a good fit. What didn't get discussed today was what my pay would be should I get hired.

Do I go high --- which $15/hr would be, in my area, even though that's now min wage in some cities --- or shoot for something like $10-12, which is what starting cooks generally/realistically get around here? I NEVER know how to to answer that when asked. I don't wanna ask $15 and get laughed out of the place, but I don't wanna undersell my worth and mumble "oh, um, $10, maybe?" while fidgeting with my hands, which is what I'm likely to do.

Gimme strength, thread. I need the work, so I'll take it at $10/hr; but if I can go higher, obviously, I'd like that. And with their menu pricing, I think they can afford it. I just have no clue how to negotiate this without shooting myself in the foot while introducing myself, so to speak.

*(please do not start another stupid internet fight, I'm stressed out as it is and Liquid Communism ain't got time for that poo poo)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aim for 15, friend. You're worth it. Start high, negotiate if you must.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Start high. The worst that can happen is they say no. But then you’ve started negotiation from the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Does your friend work there? if so ask them what they make.