Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

get hype for The Funko Reborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rand in the sky at Falme but it's funkpops

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Al'Thor in the sky at Falme

(Sing it)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Man all that old art is so bad. Like the newer kindle art is so much better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Man all that old art is so bad. Like the newer kindle art is so much better.

I updated the Audible app recently and all the books went from glorious terrible 90's cover art to the new minimalist ebook covers. I was very disappointed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My favourite piece of Mat related art is from those cool ebook covers they did where they hired a different artist for each one. Book 4 I think. Those covers were super good and I wish they’d used them for the paperbacks as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just like how Mat thinks back on Couladin as 'goddamn that dude was good with a spear I have no idea how I came out on top'

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If the show is successful, I predict no less than three Kickstarters: one skirmish miniatures game; one cooperative board game, possibly card or deck building; and an isometric RPG that over promises and misses the predicted release date by three years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like how that picture makes Mat look like he has a stache.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s astounding nobody on team good shanked Rand in TGS just out of pure frustration or terror

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean that's kinda what the borderland monarchs were planning.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

If the show is successful, I predict no less than three Kickstarters: one skirmish miniatures game; one cooperative board game, possibly card or deck building; and an isometric RPG that over promises and misses the predicted release date by three years.

I would be down with Total Wheel War tbh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ah poo poo I don't like playing those games and so would I.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, that'd be great. I mean, non-Warhammer Total War usually had a lovely unit roster (twelve variants of spearmen, one or two of each sword, bow and cavalry units, some siege units.) Now you can finally play a Total War fan's dream nation: The Aiel, a faction that only uses spearmen!

Just kidding, I'd genuinely love a Total Wheel War. The Aiel would probably be an off-map nation anyway, together with the Seanchan (and perhaps the forces of the Shadow?). You could set it in one of the earlier ages, playing Hawkwing's conquest of the Wetlands for example. That would also give you a bit more freedom with the unit roster. Or set it around five years before Rand's birth, where you have Whitecloak wars and fights between Illian and Tear, etc. The the Aiel crossing the Dragonwall could be a kind of late game Mongol invasion.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm getting really excited for a Total Wheel War. Too bad it will never happen :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m sure someone could always make a mod for another game. Wasn’t there a wheel of time total conversion mod for something ages ago? I think it might have been mount and blade.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just gonna make a small plug for Total Warhammer as well, I have spent way too much goddamn time on that game recently

gently caress Wood Elves forever though. No archers should ever be that good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone who is not Forsaken refer to the Dark One's Power as the "True Power"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does anyone who is not Forsaken refer to the Dark One's Power as the "True Power"?

I don't remember...lews Therin just says "we can't use that... that's...him!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing, because OF COURSE they would all yell THIS IS TRUE POWER

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Seems like Rand first thinks of it as the True Power in his internal dialogue in KoD:

quote:

That was the only time we ever met. He was using their so-called True Power. It had to be that.

but that's all until AMoL, and there as far as I can tell it's only Rand right up until Ch. 35 and Cadsuane outta left field at Shayol Ghul, when she's explaining to Aviendha how Graendal is Traveling in their backfield mercing their channelers without them spotting the weaves:

quote:

Aviendha looked as if remembering something. “Ah … yes. Then they are channeling the Dark One’s power?” “It is called the True Power,” Cadsuane said. “The accounts say that Traveling by True Power works in the way you have seen this woman move. ..."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Welp I just finished Eye of the World and I'm starting The Great Hunt

Guess I'm part of this dumb club now

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

One of us one of us. Now pull your braid and straighten your skirt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

welcome

also on the subject of games, i'd always thought that mod nations for dominions 5 would be a great way to implement wheel of time armies. the magic system has paths for all 4 elements, and spirit could be subbed out for astral, so channelers would be easy to portray. there's also death magic, which an army of shaitan and/or shadar logoth would be able to use. nature could be used for a manetheren-themed army. there's also blood, but i'm not sure entirely how to fit that in, if at all. it'd absolutely be on an evil nation, though.

there's also a 'communion' mechanic where a spellcaster can utilize other spellcasters to boost their own power and share the load of the fatigue, which covers aes sedai linking up perfectly. there's also mechanics for forcing the communion relationship between certain spellcasters and designating certain ones as the 'master' in the communion, so a seanchan nation could very easily be represented with damane.

ultimately some stuff would need to be fudged a bit, unsurprisingly, but i think it'd genuinely be a SUPER fitting setting to represent multiple nations from the series.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

COOL CORN posted:

Welp I just finished Eye of the World and I'm starting The Great Hunt

Guess I'm part of this dumb club now

cool, i wish i could go back and read those first six books for the first time again

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand wouldn't go AI after losing a big battle.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

How are u posted:

Rand wouldn't go AI after losing a big battle.

he'd be a great pretender god chassis, honestly

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

he'd be a great pretender god chassis, honestly

Ta'veren trinity god :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

How are u posted:

Ta'veren trinity god :getin:

actually kinda curious if that'd be able to work out in a relatively faithful way. i don't know how the magic path calculations work behind the scenes when parts of the trinity are apart, but ideally rand would be the one with most, if not all, of the magic. also probably the means to recall the others to him as a representation of traveling. probably some other poo poo that i'm not thinking of offhand that could be represented in game terms. perrin could maybe have some nature magic along with a personal pack of wolves accompanying him and maybe even the means to autocast howl whenever a battle starts to bring in more wolves from the sidelines. mat would probably have gold generation to represent his luck with gambling/betting, a personal host of ghost warriors, fuckhuge magic resistance, and probably every luck-related effect under the sun

it'd end up being a lot of wild poo poo, most likely, but maybe balanced by the fact that they'd literally be humans with poor hp values and all that entails. dominions 5 works REALLY well for representing wheel of time, the more i think about it. i'm already envisioning a shaitan nation being able to summon the forsaken kind of like the grigori. maybe even an ogier faction, somehow. they'd be hard to fully visualize, maybe, but possibly lumped in with manetheren as like a side-army?

i wish i knew literally anything about modding or making sprites because this would be a dope project.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

There's even a great insanity mechanic that would work well for male channelers

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Welp in the middle of CoTs Elayne slog. I understand why people dislike it. I think I’m going to skim a bunch of it. I think the problem is that there is no consequences to her political maneuvering. Even if she doesn’t become queen, so what? She’s a sorceress with immense power. Even if she was thrown out in the streets with no clothes she would be just fine.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the thrust of it was meant to be that she was saving her nation from the bad people who wanted to rule it instead. I just don't think it really came off that way, it just came off as her being entitled.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From memory it became apparent maybe in KoD that the opposition was being aided by a Dark sister or something, or maybe my memory is hosed

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dyelin would have made a good ruler but she didn't want to and the rest of them were uh. Look at the leaders of the other camps

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I remember there being something about one of them. A pedo, maybe?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, most of the big nobles left are the dregs of Andor anyways since Rahvin cleaned house of most of the good or competent people during the time he was controlling Morgase.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Eh the third faction of anybody but trakand please dyelin can you do it please, seemed okay though with stupid fixations on middle of the road please everybody...poo poo they're neoliberals.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ok someone help me out here. The boys are always pulling on coats. I don't *think* they mean like trenchcoats or overcoats because it seems implied that they work the fields in them, but if not then I'm baffled as to what they refer to. Do they mean like a heavy shirt or something?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've always pictured sort of a jacket kind of deal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ok someone help me out here. The boys are always pulling on coats. I don't *think* they mean like trenchcoats or overcoats because it seems implied that they work the fields in them, but if not then I'm baffled as to what they refer to. Do they mean like a heavy shirt or something?

I mean they explicitly take them off when working because they're hot and like half the commentary about the coats is how sweltering it always is with them on.

People in Randland are just really into wearing a ton of layers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They're just a sort of decorative formal coat that's worn because walking around in shirtsleeves is lower class, like some kind of fantasy sport coat or whatnot. Here's Rand in the sort of fancy embroidered coat he's always complaining about in the early books.