Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

What you need, when you need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

My only play yesterday was adding some CLX when it was down over 7%.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AHITHFF/status/1233809528577114112

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Hit Man posted:

My only play yesterday was adding some CLX when it was down over 7%.

Sad to learn Purcell is private ;)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Hit Man posted:

I think we'll need to see quarantines, business shutdowns, everyone stay home strategies for the next leg down.

Right now we're at Democrat made hoax. My bet is Monday green

FYI, Trump was not calling the coronavirus itself a hoax. He was calling the criticism of his handling of the virus another "democratic hoax" in reference to everything he does being made into a scandal. I had to watch the video of his speech last night since I thought him denying the pandemic was a bit out there; even for him. Apologies for making you sit through the opening dribble of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TZ6fTYrsE

quote:

I don’t think it’s fully priced in. It may have been priced in for eventual spread to the United States in the next few months but the news that has come out in the past 16 hours since the markets closed indicates that there is community spread in 3 states and already post mortem cases being reported. This is how italy started reporting cases as post mortem / deaths and the number of italy cases exploded to over 1000 within a week. The fear is going to peak over the next week or two IMO.
Nothing has happened this weekend that I didn't expect to happen on Friday. The market was up into the close on Friday, and tech strongly outperformed the Dow which exhibits more risk tolerance to me. I am sure things will likely be hectic next week, but like I said I think it will have more buyers.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 1, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Nothing has happened this weekend that I didn't expect to happen on Friday. The market closed up into the close on Friday, and tech strongly outperformed the Dow which exhibits more risk tolerance to me. I am sure things will likely be hectic next week, but like I said I think it will have more buyers.

I had the same take. Not surprised that, despite every reason to the contrary, the market went up a bit at the end. Wouldn’t be surprised if it bounces Monday for the same reason. Especially tech companies.

I’m imagining a bunch of guys walk into the manager’s office saying “everyone is gonna stay home and play video games and use/buy computers while the virus is killing their neighbors in the street like LOTR orcs. tech is gonna kill it” and they all smash some buy buttons because of this very powerful DD.

Expecting rationality has gotten me burned enough that expecting a healthy amount of stupid is basically necessary at this point.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cheesemaster200 posted:

FYI, Trump was not calling the coronavirus itself a hoax. He was calling the criticism of his handling of the virus another "democratic hoax" in reference to everything he does being made into a scandal. I had to watch the video of his speech last night since I thought him denying the pandemic was a bit out there; even for him. Apologies for making you sit through the opening dribble of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TZ6fTYrsE

On the other hand, there are headlines this this. Various right-wing radio hosts have made similar claims.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

saintonan posted:

On the other hand, there are headlines this this. Various right-wing radio hosts have made similar claims.

Link doesn't work.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Link doesn't work.

Works fine for me

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Link doesn't work.

Here's TPM's coverage.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

quote:

It wasn’t the first time the word “hoax” was bandied about in Trumpland with regards to the coronavirus; White House Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney had complained earlier on Friday that the media was trying to tear down Trump with its coverage of the disease because the impeachment “hoax” had failed to do so. However, Mulvaney did not directly call the coronavirus itself a hoax.
This is exactly what I just said above. Hes referring to criticism of Trump's handling of the situation and not the virus itself. In reading this thread, there have been a half dozen references to this hoax comment with the implication that the president thinks the virus itself is a hoax.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This is exactly what I just said above. Hes referring to criticism of Trump's handling of the situation and not the virus itself. In reading this thread, there have been a half dozen references to this hoax comment with the implication that the president thinks the virus itself is a hoax.

The context of this conversation is what, if anything, the official government response this weekend will do to either calm or inflame financial markets. The person you originally responded to said that the administration is trying to downplay the crisis as politically motivated and not real. You responded with "well, technically...", to which I responded that other members of the cabinet were dancing on the same knife edge. You responded with another "well, technically...", which doesn't address the concept that the administration is currently addressing this crisis as made-up and exaggerated, which reinforces Hit Man's point that further tangential evidence will be needed for a next leg down to occur.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Counterpoint, Iranians are loving burning hospitals

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering WSB has gone completely bear I'm gonna assume we see an early Monday slight sell off followed by a late day / tuesday rally. Wednesday we will probably see a pull back with the fed releasing the beige book, followed by stonks going back up because shits weird

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
lol bought SPY puts last week before the massive selloff but only 2 contracts. Absolutely kicking myself for not being more bold.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Futures opening down 2.5%. Get ready for the interesting week ahead.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Even if this doesn't go Wuhan in one or more of our cities, the floor probably won't be in until at least after we get a few videos of people falling over in Walmarts.

Gonna be a real shock to the majority of people who haven't been paying attention and think this is just the flu.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Agronox posted:

I have to believe the Fed will not say anything but show action this week if they want to help reverse this.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I saw a really stupid post on /r/robinhood talking about buying UVXY calls (sure thing, can't go tits up, etc). So someone tell me how OP is going to lose all his money?

Or post your war stories about actually winning on VIX calls/puts.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

MetaJew posted:

I saw a really stupid post on /r/robinhood talking about buying UVXY calls (sure thing, can't go tits up, etc). So someone tell me how OP is going to lose all his money?

UVXY is an instrument designed to go to 0 via exponential decay. The further out that the call is it is the more likely to expire worthless. Basically a UVXY call is betting that things go to poo poo and stay lovely

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
he got a weekly lmaoe: just saw that it says queued, nothing quite like buying options at open with robinhood

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Asia rallying and futures green. Good to see the market priced in all the terrible news over the weekend and we get a nice continuation from the last 5 minutes of Friday

:capitalism:

Hit Man fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 2, 2020

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hit Man posted:

Asia rallying and futures green. Good to see the market priced in all the terrible news over the weekend and we get a nice continuation from the last 5 minutes of Friday

Dumbest market ever with the dumbest investors ever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least I'd be in a good position to sell my RSUs tomorrow if the market goes greener.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shammypants posted:

Dumbest market ever with the dumbest investors ever

Please do not be surprised by this anymore, and simply add it into your analysis. Accept that the primary guiding force in the market right now is strictly unexplainable market behavior as a function of complete, absolute idiocy and you will have a much more fun time gambling.

And if you’re actually investing and not gambling, never forget that there has never been a losing time to have invested in the US stock market in a 30-year buy and hold strategy. The absolute lowest % gains in any 30 year period was like 850% over that period. I think an article about it was linked in this thread, or the investment thread. Just fuhgedaboutit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hit Man posted:

Ugh just give me 15 min to exit my shorts on Monday you rat bastards

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MetaJew posted:

Tried to do VIX options the week before markets caught up to Corona. RIP my calls.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Agronox posted:

They're already in the green, even China is.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Tomorrow could very easily be a +5% day and no theres not a reason for it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

John F Bennett posted:

They're already in the green, even China is.

Yeah I'm up like 2.5% since Friday. WTF is even going on any more. Theres no way this virus poo poo is going to get any better.

I was starting to really freak out last week but I guess it's a good thing I didn't liquidate everything on Friday lol.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Why are you surprised? Even 2008 had massive up days during the sellof and with this volatility who knows where it will close at the end of the day?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
New PT for SPCE set at 31~, remember that the previous PT was set at 22 when it shot up the first time

At least this time the analysts are recommending “hold” (lmao like loving 2 weeks late)

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Futures are all trending negative now after being up early on :unsmigghh:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
You’ve got a massive deleveraging going on and big money is trying to find a safe spot by the day between pms, commodities, bonds, currencies, stocks... anything can bounce high or sell off big day by day as people rebalance. It’s not really irrational if SPY is up 3% one day, probably just means yen or something is selling off

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$DYAI looking like it’s going to be a vaccine meme stock. Up large premarket. I think they had a press release on the coronavirus last week. This thing may go to $25 from the $5s

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Fed is going to do what and when?
Is this coronavirus effect (#69 out of ??) expected or not expected?

There's no trade here guys, just noise. There are many different gambling analogies out there.

Any new money being put to work now should be long term oriented.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Just a 900 point overnight swing, oops.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I kinda wanna open a stra(dd|ng)le on SPY, but it's the loving worst position to judge an exit on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What the hell, this volatility is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Huge swing up. Then downside swong. Back to the up swing.