Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

And divert my attention away from my snowy granius companion/romance mod?

Truly an impossible choice is to be made here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Welcome moon and star, come to me through fire and shitposts.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 26, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

come nerevar, friend or foe, come :pervert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've been playing Morrowind again and it's wild all the extremely cool mods that have come out in the past couple years since I last played. I feel like it speaks volumes about how good MW is that modding is still so active and innovative after nearly 20 years. I don't pay quite as much attention to them but Oblivion and Skyrim seem pretty stagnant nowadays in that regard.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

skyrim still has a huge modding community i think its by far the largest on nexus

oblivion is pretty dead though yeah

it had a nice little renaissance around 2014-2015 when skyrim modders got kind of bored and went back for a bit

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skyrim still has a huge community but the number of quality and innovative mods is down. Morrowind is in the middle of its mwse renaissance which makes it a neat comparison. Numbers are only half the story

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love all the new MWSE mods, along with Intelligent Textures and MWSE grass. It makes my mod list much shorter and Mod Organizer 2 makes it so much easier to mod. I think I have my modding done for this playthrough, but it looks like Darknut's Dwemer greater ruins thing that's needed for the Dwemer Rebirth Project I've seen recommended doesn't have a Tamriel Rebuilt patch that's up to date with build 19.12. Anyone have any idea if not having that patch will gently caress up anything?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I love all the new MWSE mods, along with Intelligent Textures and MWSE grass. It makes my mod list much shorter and Mod Organizer 2 makes it so much easier to mod. I think I have my modding done for this playthrough, but it looks like Darknut's Dwemer greater ruins thing that's needed for the Dwemer Rebirth Project I've seen recommended doesn't have a Tamriel Rebuilt patch that's up to date with build 19.12. Anyone have any idea if not having that patch will gently caress up anything?

Which thing are you referring to

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Which thing are you referring to

This: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45331/

I'm not even sure if the .esp files are even needed or it's just the textures, etc. needed for Dwemer Rebirth Project.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I never actually beat morrowind, despite putting hundreds of hours into farting around. I just played some Fallout 4 and it's suckiness combined with the fantasy music made me think, maybe a good morrowind reinstall is in order, and it sounds like there are some excellent mods in the mix that are relatively new?

I remember historically enjoying Morrowind as a spellsword with a focus on restoration/alteration and swords/medium armor, so that's probably what I'd go with this time. in terms of mods is it just the MSWE and the top stuff on nexus? any advice for someone who never did the actual story or saw the expansion areas?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

So I never actually beat morrowind, despite putting hundreds of hours into farting around. I just played some Fallout 4 and it's suckiness combined with the fantasy music made me think, maybe a good morrowind reinstall is in order, and it sounds like there are some excellent mods in the mix that are relatively new?

I remember historically enjoying Morrowind as a spellsword with a focus on restoration/alteration and swords/medium armor, so that's probably what I'd go with this time. in terms of mods is it just the MSWE and the top stuff on nexus? any advice for someone who never did the actual story or saw the expansion areas?

Phone posting so I don't have the mod handy, but I have a mod that lets you cast spells with your weapons out, I'd call it pretty essential for a spell sword playthrough.

Medium armor is doable, but Light or Heavy is probably better. Long Sword is probably the easiest weapon skill.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

All armor is fine you'll be unkillable in an hour of playing so it's just there for dress up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I've been playing Morrowind again and it's wild all the extremely cool mods that have come out in the past couple years since I last played. I feel like it speaks volumes about how good MW is that modding is still so active and innovative after nearly 20 years. I don't pay quite as much attention to them but Oblivion and Skyrim seem pretty stagnant nowadays in that regard.

oblivion modding is dead because the engine is utterly shambolic

you can't design your mods exclusively for people who have done all of the obscure little tweaks necessary to make a heavily-modded oblivion stable, so there is only so much memory available. for all that morrowind is famously a bit temperamental about mods, the engine is not hard-throttled to the specs of the xbox like oblivion is throttled to the specs of the xbox 360. there is only so much you can do when the game is only half-able to recognize that it's running on a supercomputer by the standards of 2006.

plus if you put all of the good mods together that exist right now and are compatible with each other, oblivion literally starts to crash simply because of the number of mods. there's not a lot of room left on the modlist of the kind of person who's still interested in oblivion mods in tyool 2020. that's part of why maskar's is architected in the way that it is, as a single mod with a huge range of options instead of a bunch of mini-mods.

edit: and lol if you tried to create a MWSE equivalent for oblivion it would poo poo itself IMMEDIATELY. stability is why the script-y mods like deadly reflex never really took off.

what i'm saying is, open oblivion when

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2020

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Frog Act posted:

Good timing, I just updated the OP of the thread with a bunch of mods that came out in 2019. You'll definitely want the essentials there, plus MWSE. After that, you can pick and choose from the lists. I wouldn't recommend just using the top of the nexus, since while some of the top ones must-haves, there are better alternatives for some of them in the OP.

The expansion areas (in vanilla) have a lot of high-level enemies, so I recommend staying away until you're ready.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Good timing, I just updated the OP of the thread with a bunch of mods that came out in 2019. You'll definitely want the essentials there, plus MWSE. After that, you can pick and choose from the lists. I wouldn't recommend just using the top of the nexus, since while some of the top ones must-haves, there are better alternatives for some of them in the OP.

The expansion areas (in vanilla) have a lot of high-level enemies, so I recommend staying away until you're ready.

Dope! Thank you friend, I will take a look and see what I'm into. I don't mind some deviations from vanilla since I'm familiar with it so it's nice there are a lot of options

ed:

Skwirl posted:

Phone posting so I don't have the mod handy, but I have a mod that lets you cast spells with your weapons out, I'd call it pretty essential for a spell sword playthrough.

Medium armor is doable, but Light or Heavy is probably better. Long Sword is probably the easiest weapon skill.

also if anyone can remember the name of this mod please let me know, I can't seem to find one with just this effect anywhere

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

also if anyone can remember the name of this mod please let me know, I can't seem to find one with just this effect anywhere

Looking at my mod list and not being able to find it, google tells me it's included in the Morrowind Code Patch, which you should definitely be using to begin with

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/

quote:

Swift casting. Allows casting from any stance with the ready magic button. Ready spell stance is still available with the M key.

Basically, in vanilla Morrowind you had a spell slot and would hit R to ready that and then you'd cast the spell by clicking the mouse and you would hit F to ready your weapon and then attack by clicking the left mouse button, this makes it so instead, hitting R just casts whatever spell you had set up.

It's an optional component, so you might have to enable it in the MCP setup thingie.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

that's why I made
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45714
and
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036
!!!

they have been very well recieved

also, this is my (fantastic) successor to GCD/MULE
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47452

i'm not saying you *have* to put them in the OP but...... :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

that's why I made
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45714
and
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036
!!!

they have been very well recieved

also, this is my (fantastic) successor to GCD/MULE
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47452

i'm not saying you *have* to put them in the OP but...... :v:

I appreciate you made these and all your patches for old mods and changes like quickloot and pickpocket changes because they're all great. Do you still recommend a dark brotherhood delay mod? I know it still doesn't make sense story wise but if I can go to the expansions earlier it's not as big of a deal.

I'm not getting any errors without the TR patch for Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins so I'm gonna call it good for now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I appreciate you made these and all your patches for old mods and changes like quickloot and pickpocket changes because they're all great. Do you still recommend a dark brotherhood delay mod? I know it still doesn't make sense story wise but if I can go to the expansions earlier it's not as big of a deal.

I'm not getting any errors without the TR patch for Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins so I'm gonna call it good for now.
thanks! having people say "good job" is worth the effort i put into it lol

i recommend this over any other DB delayer (from the creator of Patch for Purists):
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47588

[put this in the OP over the old one as well!]

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

thanks! having people say "good job" is worth the effort i put into it lol

i recommend this over any other DB delayer (from the creator of Patch for Purists):
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47588

[put this in the OP over the old one as well!]

Alright, I'll use that one.

Is there a "best" housing mod or should I just stick with taking a house in Balmora from someone dead like I usually do?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

Alright, I'll use that one.

Is there a "best" housing mod or should I just stick with taking a house in Balmora from someone dead like I usually do?

faction strongholds are cool

i have a soft spot for mori mountain estate

there are literally hundreds of housing mods and they are remarkably hard to mess up (which is why there are so many) just browse on nexus and take your pick

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47135

this is one ive wanted to try for a while that adds houses all around vvardenfell

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've plugged morrowind abodes itt. Nice selection of houses, nothing too fancy aside from the Vivec one, but even that's just large and has plenty of storage. Absolutely nailed local architecture in each house. Sadly MW mod history is migrating to a new server and is currently down so I'm not sure where to get it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

every single time I reinstall morrowind after a hiatus I spend like 3 hours looking for a housing mod I want before just booting the CS up and making one myself

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Make sure you get patch for purists Better Expansion Implementation and Speed and Stamina Tweaked (on the nexus) and what vavrek says
Hmm, the only "speed and stamina tweaked" I can find on the nexus is https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43413. That mod only talks about tweaking some changes from a different mod made by a "rinoaff33".
Is this the correct one?

Edit: Found it - it was linked in the OP. Great search function you have there nexus!

Nektu fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 1, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nektu posted:

Edit: Found it - it was linked in the OP. Great search function you have there nexus!

with hindsight, running the nexus backend on gamebryo was a poor decision

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

perhaps a dumb question, but how do I use MGX with Mod Organizer 2? Should it be run from somewhere within the latter?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuligin posted:

perhaps a dumb question, but how do I use MGX with Mod Organizer 2? Should it be run from somewhere within the latter?

Next to the button that you press to run the game there's a button to determine which exe you're actually running, click that to run MGX, I can't remember what I did to get MGX to show up there, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless I'm forgetting, which is entirely possible, it should just be running the MGX exe from inside the MGX folder.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What is MGX

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BBJoey posted:

What is MGX

Morrowind Graphics Extender, among other things it lets you greatly increase draw distance.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Oh it’s shorthand for MGE XE. I’ve never seen it referred to by that acronym before.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BBJoey posted:

What is MGX

Not much, what's MGX with you?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Skwirl posted:

Next to the button that you press to run the game there's a button to determine which exe you're actually running, click that to run MGX, I can't remember what I did to get MGX to show up there, though.

thanks, that did the trick. Playing morrowind in 2020 with all the bells and whistles is a trip, almost feels like a luxury indulgence. i find these machine learning textures simultaneously fantastic and kind of uncanny

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Ok, so the big list that MBT posted and especially next generation combat triggered me to get my yearly morrowind modding spree done.

Some questions:
Ill go with intelligent textures and the mesh fixes in MBTs 2019 list.
Are the more mesh fixes/updates/changes that I should install?

For characters I guess Ill use better bodies/better heads. I want good looking character models that do not turn everybody into a barbi or ken doll though. Is that a good combination for that?

Do I need "Texture fix" (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46018)? It seems like it fixes an issues with the world layout that does not take into account a restriction of the engine, so I sounds like it would be useful in addition to the texture mod.

Regarding balance/gameplay:
I think I will just use MORTs levelling mod that got posted some pages ago.
Then I have the anti-cheese and Half11s Misc Mods. Then I add Tribunal/Bloodmoon Rebalance and beware the 6th house (the triggers for the expansions are "ExpansionDelay"ed).
The I add "Harder Barter".

Will this be playable or will I grind my rear end off to get anywhere?

Should I add "BTS's Game improvements" (http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-13679) from the OP to that? The description in the link is not complete, so its hard to tell what that mod actually changes in detail.

And the "one of a kind" mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44923/) seems interesting. However, "one spawn in the whole gameworld" per daedric weapon is incredibly rare considering the size of the gameworld.
How much will this gently caress me over at high levels?

Regarding character creation:
Can someone recommend a mod that lets me start in different places of the gameworld (including TR if that is possible). Bonus points if that mod is compatible with "Merlord's Character Backgrounds".

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh boy lets see if i can answer all of these
-better bodies/heads is good
-texture fix isn't necessary but I think it's fine if you install it before intelligent textures

-tribunal/bloodmoon make those expansions *easier* not harder. that is a capital G Good thing. If you're slowing your progression with a mod like Proportional Progression (recommended) then you won't be level 50 going into bloodmoon, you'll be like 30.

I like going to tribunal/bloodmoon early. I think the sixth house should be the last thing you ever do, its a true existential threat to tamriel so i made fighting them basically a death sentance for low level characters. it rules.

harder barter affects item prices on a log scale. items worth 100000 are cut by much more than items worth 10 (which aren't changed). you'll survive just fine

-BTB's game improvements oh nooooooooo, THAT is grindy and anti-fun. i really really do not like it at all. one of his improvements was preventing the player from EVER making constant effect enchants because "they're OP". gently caress that noise

-one of a kind is another one of mine and I think it's great. I include a text file with the locations if you're really antsy. My process was looking at an item like daedric claymores, and seeing that it has a few spawns, some of them just as random treasure in a tomb, and one of them STABBED INTO A PILE OF SKULLS

i kept that one and removed the rest. I do not invent new spawns out of nothing, so reading the uesp list of daedric items and checking every location will eventually get you all of them.

-https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44615
this is the best startmod, also merlord's character backgrounds are *kisses fingers italianly*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

-BTB's game improvements oh nooooooooo, THAT is grindy and anti-fun. i really really do not like it at all. one of his improvements was preventing the player from EVER making constant effect enchants because "they're OP". gently caress that noise

This is a hate crime.

I mean it's not, but maybe it should be!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, not being able to get OP in Morrowind is just....just..well it's Oblivion at that point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was more thinking that it's just a huge pain in the rear end to manage a bajillion active buffs every time you fight instead of just having constants. Nothing says riveting game play like 3 - click - 4 click - 5 - click 6 - click -- oh poo poo that wasn't the ring I thought it was, time to redo my hotkeys.

But that too I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
BTB's stuff is just poopsocking for morrowind. I used to use it, but then realized how unfun it actually made the game.