Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

twoday posted:

should be a fun day on the trading floor tomorrow, as brokers show up in hazmat suits to sell everything they have

stock futures are up uP UP since that news broke oddly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a.lo posted:

do you live in a mansion

i live in a modest house every working person should be able to afford, and used to be able to

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a.lo posted:

do you live in a mansion

he clearly lives in a pantry

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Agronox posted:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drinkfist posted:

So here is my current stockpile

I think I need more beans now that you all mention it. Post your true stocks boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JITC1fo2HA

Stock up on adderall (or related substances) and you'll have the double bonus of needing less food and being more alert during the crisis :madmax:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

twoday posted:

Berlin is one of the largest cities in Europe, it's spread there is a significant development

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1234267945318125568?s=19

this seems bad

Trump admin ordering an investigation... HILLARY DID IT!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

twoday posted:

should be a fun day on the trading floor tomorrow, as brokers show up in hazmat suits to sell everything they have

https://twitter.com/SRuhle/status/1234203064913088513

:getin:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Agronox posted:

the markets don't like uncertainty

now that they're certain the apocalypse is already here, number can go up again

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I have a team of contractors turning the dining room of the house I just bought into a mud room for washer/dryer with a massive walk-in pantry. Hope the stores aren't empty in a couple weeks so I can stock up for the end times

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

yeah the tourism industry is gonna collapse.

surely a similar thing happened during sars though?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

my cat likes the fact that ive been going shopping frequently lately, to stock up for survival

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

tomorrow is going to be insane

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

definitely emailing this to upper management in the morning so we can take similar steps

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't know how you plan to make bean chili out of mackerel, noodles and a cat but godspeed

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Starks posted:

yeah the tourism industry is gonna collapse.

i was planning on a summer overseas trip but its real hard for me to throw money down on reservations right now.

summer tourism season is gonna be devastated probably.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Chinatown posted:

i was planning on a summer overseas trip but its real hard for me to throw money down on reservations right now.

summer tourism season is gonna be devastated probably.

I’m planned to go to Berlin at the end of March and everything I booked is nonrefundable and I don’t have travel insurance. I’m a loving Idiot!

edit I guess if it spreads fast enough and it’s in every country then people will stop caring about not travelling maybe?

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 2, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/bymikebaker/status/1234294709146701824

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Reading the article, the other critical patients are all from the nursing home. RIP that place. gently caress

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

loving hell. My deepest condolences for their friends and family.

:cryingspaceneedle:

Someone please put the Space Needle in that Super Spreader gang tag, and give it to all the Seattlites in this thread.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

crossquoting from the doomsday economics thread because this is extremely relevant to current :mood:

Ronald McReagan posted:

I took an undergrad class in economic geography back in 2006 with a professor whose area of expertise was development in sub-Saharan Africa. Specifically, her research was on the impacts on various indicators of social and economic health in rural communities following the implementation of whatever neoliberal/NGO/World Bank scheme was being inflicted at the time.

She told us this story once about a rural community she worked with in Mozambique where every year, they planted two sets of crops -- one up in some highlands, the other down in a floodplain. In comes a bunch of NGO people to "develop" the area. They do a "study," and determine that the reason the community is "underdeveloped" is because of all the wasted effort planting crops in the highlands in an area that frequently suffers from drought conditions. They decide to bring in some microloan company (microloans were just the hottest new thing at the time) to throw a bunch of money at people in the community to "incentivize" them to stop planting crops in the highlands and instead start buying US-dumped clothes, beauty products, etc., and selling them to tourists and poo poo. So of course a bunch of people take this up, and no more crops get planted in the highlands.

Turns out, the reason crops were being planted in the highlands was because of the ~10% chance that it's not a drought year, in which case the floodplain crops get drowned when the river swells. So after a couple of years of restructuring the local economy around passing kitchy garbage from one set of white people to another, there's a season of torrential rains, and oops we have a famine. The solution? More microloans to purchase cash crops to sell and hopefully have enough leftover after interest to buy the actual food that they would have already had if these NGO vultures had never shown up in the first place. The eventual results of this cycle of poo poo were completely predictable -- the community was effectively destroyed, and its people, having nowhere else to turn, were assimilated into the perpetual destruction machine of global capitalism.

More than anything else I ever received in any classroom, this story pushed me down the road to leftism (the professor -- at the time at least -- was not herself a leftist, but was, obviously, highly skeptical of Western-led development efforts). I've thought about it probably weekly for the last 14 years. In the last month or so, I've been thinking about it almost daily. Capitalism has spent the last 50 years furiously wringing all redundancy out of the global economy wherever it can be found, whether it's crops being planted in the highlands in Mozambique or money and space being "wasted" maintaining inventory. All it takes is one thing going wrong, and everything and everyone touched by the supply chain in question can be catastrophically hosed. So incredibly stupid.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Don't worry, I'm covering all corporate losses with beans.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

buy them beans while they're on the shelves lol, the worst that can happen is some goon's gonna lol at you for being more prepared than him

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Starks posted:

I’m planned to go to Berlin at the end of March and everything I booked is nonrefundable and I don’t have travel insurance. I’m a loving Idiot!

edit I guess if it spreads fast enough and it’s in every country then people will stop caring about not travelling maybe?

Yeah in december I planned my first trip to Italy for May and figured, I have the time off, nothing could really happen that could get in the way of my trip, and I got everything non-refundable. Looks like a few grand down the drain.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bullfrog posted:

my cat likes the fact that ive been going shopping frequently lately, to stock up for survival

should have bought a watermelon or two small pumpkins

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Starks posted:

Yeah, I have a non refundable trip to Spain booked for June. Gonna suck to eat that if things continue but who the hell knows what three months from now will bring. The card I used for everything has travel insurance but it only kicks in if I'm to sick to travel, not if I might get sick from traveling.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Starks posted:

definitely an idiot, imagine how much cheaper you could get it now

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

GrimGypsy posted:

Disagreeing with hysteria is a gimmick!

Your repeated concern trolling is a gimmick, and it is not a good one. Haven't you noticed that barely anyone engages the content when you post this garbage, except to call you out on your style? It's too obvious you're arguing in bad faith when you directly insinuate cspammers are monstrous sociopaths who derive enjoyment from the suffering/distress/deaths of others.

Telling people what to do isn't really my thing, this is simply meant as sincere advice: if you want people to continue dismissing you as yet another boring idiot troll, just keep doing what you're doing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sarasota is on the bean menu boys.

https://www.yoursun.com/venice/cdc-sarasota-hospital-patient-tests-positive-for-covid/article_24845366-5c14-11ea-aa53-9bfb10c1431f.html

US, 10 new cases total today.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

How many beans do I need to survive the complete breakdown of western civilization while maintaining my current standard of living? I got a 6 lb bag, thats good right

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

definitely an idiot, imagine how much cheaper you could get it now

Yeah, that to. Tickets are gonna be super cheap this summer.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Don Pigeon posted:

Yeah in december I planned my first trip to Italy for May and figured, I have the time off, nothing could really happen that could get in the way of my trip, and I got everything non-refundable. Looks like a few grand down the drain.

Thank you for helping Number

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

silentsnack posted:

Your repeated concern trolling is a gimmick, and it is not a good one. Haven't you noticed that barely anyone engages the content when you post this garbage, except to call you out on your style? It's too obvious you're arguing in bad faith when you directly insinuate cspammers are monstrous sociopaths who derive enjoyment from the suffering/distress/deaths of others.

Telling people what to do isn't really my thing, this is simply meant as sincere advice: if you want people to continue dismissing you as yet another boring idiot troll, just keep doing what you're doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thoguh posted:

my S/O is supposed to come to LA from London at the end of March. We haven’t bought the ticket yet because wtf are we supposed to do?

It’s not impossible we see flights stop all together in the next 4-6 weeks if the US gets this bad enough and other countries tell us to gently caress off / the flight attendants strike.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

*lounging in rocking chair on porch, watching the silentsnack vs grimgypsy fight across the street with some interest*

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

We have plans to travel back home to the UK from Australia in May to visit our families for my mum's 80th birthday. I really wouldn't want to give her Covid-19 for her birthday. Plus my sister has just finished a course of radiotherapy for cancer so isn't the healthiest right now.
Airports and planes seem like incubators for the disease.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

my S/O is supposed to come to LA from London at the end of March. We haven’t bought the ticket yet because wtf are we supposed to do?

It’s not impossible we see flights stop all together in the next 4-6 weeks if the US gets this bad enough and other countries tell us to gently caress off / the flight attendants strike.

Not to be alarmist, but if it was my wife I'd have her on a plane this week. Better to take a small risk getting sick now than never knowing wtf will happen a month from now.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

signing up for the AARP cruise to get the whole drat boat to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Buy them a 10 foot boat, make some hardtack and sail the ocean blue home. 100% for sure way to get home w/o corona, and they'll be isolated so you can be sure they won't have it when they get home.