Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Says the person clearly not in the GMT timezone. 6am should be illegal

If their wrestling is any indication, the British isles should be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I Before E posted:

If their wrestling is any indication, the British isles should be illegal

I'm not sure our wrestling is really the greatest of Britain's sins but we probably should still sink the island

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JUST_TAP_OUT/status/1234113761738248193?s=19

Laughing that amidst every other fucker cancelling their shows for the coronavirus, TAKA announces a bunch of fan meetings with his roster.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1234322305649496064?s=19

Jun Akiyama to meet with Triple H ostensibly for a guest coaching spot in the Performance Center but Yahoo Japan speculates that it is actually the beginning of a "Third Power" in the Japanese wrestling scene to compete with Bushiroad and CyberAgent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jun Akiyama to meet with Triple H ostensibly for a guest coaching spot in the Performance Center but Yahoo Japan speculates that it is actually the beginning of a "Third Power" in the Japanese wrestling scene to compete with Bushiroad and CyberAgent.

All Japan sadly looked like they were in trouble before corona so this isn't unexpected :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What was it that changed during the Monday Night Wars that stopped WCW and WWE from working partnerships with foreign companies in the first place? Hubris? Looking at some of the WCW and WWE Cruiserweight/Light-Heavyweight titles and they were defended regularly and had title changes in Japan and Mexico

At this point WWE would rather try and kill out all competitors or indie promotions by starting their own overseas than working with anyone else.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno, the WWE cash probably looks real good but I suspect signing a working deal with WWE will piss off the remaining All Japan fans. Could also see the talent leave too (Kento getting crushed in NXT before he even makes it big world wide would be a major crime)

RealFoxy posted:

What was it that changed during the Monday Night Wars that stopped WCW and WWE from working partnerships with foreign companies in the first place? Hubris? Looking at some of the WCW and WWE Cruiserweight/Light-Heavyweight titles and they were defended regularly and had title changes in Japan and Mexico

At this point WWE would rather try and kill out all competitors or indie promotions by starting their own overseas than working with anyone else.

WCW had it's New Japan realtionship until the end IIRC and all through out the Monday Night wars, even if the New Japan got horrible booking in North America. Working the big New Japan shows probably was still good money for talent especially during the final years as while New Japan was in decline it hadn't hit freefall yet so the big shows still paid good money.

WWE was off and on in it's working relationships with Japan. It had some when business was lean or when Vince was just starting out (The last New Japan relationship actually helped Vince out while he waited for the first Mania cash to arrive in) but when business was real good Vince didn't see the need. And the downturn in Japanese business in the 2000's probably meant that Vince though he could probably run there for a few shows instead of working with another company

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

The WWF retook #1 and didn't want to work with anyone anymore. The WWF titles that were defended in Japan and Mexico were kind of a remnant of a previous time more than the WWF actively working with companies. They did work with foreign companies when they were losing, but it was rare for them to do so post Hulkamania. WCW hosed over their partners and no one wanted to work with them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God loving damnit Jun

The only positive here is that WWE can't get the tape library

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's honestly incredible how quickly WWE turned the idea of united world-wide and regional companies and massive tape libraries into the worst thing to happen in modern wrestling.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

God loving damnit Jun

The only positive here is that WWE can't get the tape library

Jun wants to get into a Hall of Fame okay!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is gonna end up with kento as okada’s third lieutenant in chaos

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is gonna end up with kento as okada’s third lieutenant in chaos

Better fate than catering or jobbing on the Largo Loop

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i was gonna add, thats probably the GOOD ending

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Man. Can't wait to see WWE using Suwama!

All Japan are a really good wrestling company. I've really gotten into them this year and have watched nearly every show on AJPW TV this year. But business is bad. Watching the house shows outside of Korakuen they are running small venues and drawing poorly.

Can understand why Jun might just want to give up. Hope it doesn't come to this though. Poor Ayato Yoshida if it means 2 failed chances in 2 years to get over with in a company more than 12 people watch for reasons entirely unrelated to him.

Cyberagent should break out the chequebook to get Kento in NOAH. Far preferable to New Japan

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Kento and other AJPW/Wrestle-1 invaders in NJPW and NOAH would be cool, I GUESS

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Is it possible it's a play at seeing if any japanese investors jump in after they talk to WWE? That's what happened with NOAH and CyberAgent, right?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kento Miyahara is one of the best wrestlers in the world and they still can't move business with him on top, which was a way bigger red flag than people made it out to be. They never got new stars over as credible challengers to Kento, and we're on like 3 years of him going through the roster on repeat, and as great as the matches are it's not hard to see why people stopped paying attention.

On further reflection I can't blame Jun if his only options left were "sell out to the fed" or "go out of business," especially after we just saw Wrestle-1 choose the latter.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If this happens, this should lead to the fourth and surely final AJPW exodus

God loving damnit Akiyama, Motoko Baba didn't die just for you to piss on her corpse like this

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Honestly, I can't wait to see NXT fans pretend they've been Kobashi and Misawa fans since the 90s.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Honestly, I can't wait to see NXT fans pretend they've been Kobashi and Misawa fans since the 90s.

Wonder which AJPW guy is going to end up a BSS style cop

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yoshitatsu, of course

They're gonna give him back his old theme and everything, and everyone'll be surprised when he's actually one of the best wrestlers in the company

Of course, he's gonna stab his comrades in the front

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Venomous posted:

God loving damnit Akiyama, Motoko Baba didn't die just for you to piss on her corpse like this

:chloe:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Oh man, remember that "Naito should go to AJPW" take? Imagine that, but for everybody in NJPW any time they lose a match.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Kento Miyahara is one of the best wrestlers in the world and they still can't move business with him on top, which was a way bigger red flag than people made it out to be. They never got new stars over as credible challengers to Kento, and we're on like 3 years of him going through the roster on repeat, and as great as the matches are it's not hard to see why people stopped paying attention.

On further reflection I can't blame Jun if his only options left were "sell out to the fed" or "go out of business," especially after we just saw Wrestle-1 choose the latter.

I couldn't give less of a gently caress about WWE, but the former definitely seems like the better option to me.

AJPW should've been dead and buried in 2014. That Jun was able to squeeze something out of the promotion over the last 6 years, much less Kento and a bunch of other really talented dudes, is p drat impressive IMO.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've only heard good things about AJPW on the wrestling front, but why did the NOAH exodus happen in the first place? Wikipedia says a lot of people didn't trust Motoko Baba's leadership--was she legit bad at it or was it all just drama? Would it have been prevented?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

as TLDR as possible:

After Giant Baba died, Motoko wasn't really interested in growing the company any further since it was still quite successful. Misawa (who was booking things at this time and constantly clashed with her) wanted to expand the company, pay the guys better, get them better medical benefits, etc. You can guess whose side most of the wrestlers took, especially since Mrs. Baba had historically always played the promotion's bad cop.

Misawa was able to rally Jumbo Tsuruta and most importantly NTV behind him shortly after Giant Baba's death, after they asked him to keep it quiet for about a year for PR reasons.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 2, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yoshitatsu will clearly be part of the resistance here; he's already experienced what they do and has no interest in doing it again.

Benne posted:

I don't think this is quite right: Kento is 100% a draw and clearly moves business. The issue is that no one else does; Kento is the only real draw they have and it sort of means that he needs to be in or around the title picture for them to draw numbers. They didn't do many Korakuens last year that didn't have a Triple Crown defence (and one of them was the Aoki tribute show which is special; as are the Carnival and Tag League finals) but there was a noticible drop when they did: like going from averaging 1400+ to maybe 1,000 if they are lucky. And they've come close to drying the well: they need something new and just aren't really getting it from anywhere else - Nomura was the hope but he got hurt right before they were going to give him his big Carnival win.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Part of the problem is that the booking kinda failed Jake Lee. He's not really got the fire to be a huge star but by the standards of what AJPW is rolling with he should have been built better. Accentuate the positives, but they didn't. And now it feels like that boat has well & truly set sail and they missed it.

Meanwhile with this new Ishikawa booking regime the way they instantly elevated Yuma Aoyagi for his Triple Crown match (which ended up being a bit of a disappoint for most people) was the sort of booking that Lee could have benefited from.

Also should be said that while it lasts I do quite enjoy the idea of the traditional big 3 companies in Japan all being booked by guys from indy backgrounds (Gedo obviously, NOSAWA in NOAH & Ishikawa now).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1234390097778368512?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

as TLDR as possible:

After Giant Baba died, Motoko wasn't really interested in growing the company any further since it was still quite successful. Misawa (who was booking things at this time and constantly clashed with her) wanted to expand the company, pay the guys better, get them better medical benefits, etc. You can guess whose side most of the wrestlers took, especially since Mrs. Baba had historically always played the promotion's bad cop.

Misawa was able to rally Jumbo Tsuruta and most importantly NTV behind him shortly after Giant Baba's death, after they asked him to keep it quiet for about a year for PR reasons.

Tbh she was kinda right about a few things, since NOAH kinda had trouble building up new stars for a while. Akiyama's first GHC title run wasn't that successful, KENTA/Marufuji is still one of the worst drawing Budokan main events in history (only earning iirc 7000 paid), and in their early years they generally relied on the Four Pillars to draw good gates, which tragically lead to Misawa's death in the ring. AJPW didn't need to expand too quickly to stay financially viable, as proven with NOAH.

That said, I really don't think it was reasonable to deny her talent higher wages and better medical benefits, especially since the style was so physically demanding, and Motoko really should have acquiesced to them on that regard for their long-term success. Additionally, AJPW's executive board really shouldn't have fired Misawa as president, because that kinda sealed the deal.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Been reading some of the Japanese opinions about Jun's WWE stuff and they're a lot more apprehensive than I'd expected. One guy said it was a "fate worse than death"

I do like this one guy who's been reading all of us opining on it and wondering why the foreigners are so negative (in a "there must be a good reason" way)

https://twitter.com/456SAKAKI/status/1234480663467704320?s=19

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
IIRC Misawa was absurdly under-paid in the 1990s, and I doubt others were making more. That was reason enough to bail. NOAH had an excellent run through 2005, then it went downhill. I don't think 2006 and the post-Misawa/Kobashi NOAH struggles vindicate Mrs. Baba.

hunnert car pileup posted:

AJPW should've been dead and buried in 2014. That Jun was able to squeeze something out of the promotion over the last 6 years, much less Kento and a bunch of other really talented dudes, is p drat impressive IMO.
Any promotion other than New Japan, DDT and maybe DG have been subject to steep long-term declines, and are often bankrolled by money marks (see Wrestle-1). All Japan is a shell of its former self. Nobody should be upset with Akiyama regardless of what happens to All Japan.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

What are the contract situations with All Japan? Any chance Kento jumps ship if AJPW gets sold to WWE?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Akileese posted:

What are the contract situations with All Japan? Any chance Kento jumps ship if AJPW gets sold to WWE?

All Japan has very few people under traditional full time, Kento would be one of them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akileese posted:

I'd imagine they're probably just paid for by dates given the size of All Japan and the concept of loyalty to the company that gave you your start is what is keeping talent there. Which would go away if the Company does get sold to WWE so I'd expect Kento to have a lot of offers

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ajpw had the third best average attendances last year. Only DG and obviously NJPW did better. Kento was extremely successful as a draw (well relative to what they were doing) but he is being tapped out. They had growth during 2017 and 2018 and declined a little in 2019.

They just dont have the money backing them. It makes them vulnerable to the wwe.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I imagine every company in Japan knows just how useful Kento is as an asset, which is why he should never go to the WWE

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Everyone: STOP THE KENTO
*monkey's paw curls*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Tbh she was kinda right about a few things, since NOAH kinda had trouble building up new stars for a while. Akiyama's first GHC title run wasn't that successful, KENTA/Marufuji is still one of the worst drawing Budokan main events in history (only earning iirc 7000 paid), and in their early years they generally relied on the Four Pillars to draw good gates, which tragically lead to Misawa's death in the ring. AJPW didn't need to expand too quickly to stay financially viable, as proven with NOAH.

That said, I really don't think it was reasonable to deny her talent higher wages and better medical benefits, especially since the style was so physically demanding, and Motoko really should have acquiesced to them on that regard for their long-term success. Additionally, AJPW's executive board really shouldn't have fired Misawa as president, because that kinda sealed the deal.

NOAH became the #1 promotion in Japan. Both promotions ended up in the same place, but NOAH had an incredibly successful run for half a decade while All Japan had a really good couple of years propped up by New Japan and then went into decline. After NOAH got over some early injuries they were able to take advantage of the weakness of New Japan to really take over Tokyo.

And the shake up was very badly needed. All Japan was very stale in 98 and got a needed jolt with Vader in 99, but that wasn't going to last forever.

It also wasn't just expanding, Baba had been good cop to his wife's bad cop, and much of the roster hated her because of it. It wasn't a relationship that was going to work.