Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

make sure by "air purifier" you don't mean an ozone generator, which is actually creating poisonous gas that can severely irritate asthma, because those are apparently a thing for some goddamn reason

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Thank you for the heads up, but I do mean an air purifier with a 2-stage charcoal filter and all that good stuff.

Seriously, it's nice to have everyone chipping in good info and trying to help, I really do appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, we got a large, Dalek-looking air purifier for allergy and wildfire seasons and while the air doesn't often get that bad in the peninsula, it still makes a huge difference.

As a bonus, it also helps whenever I sear a steak or smashed burgers with nothing but our lovely recirculating hood. :science:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've always preferred breathing O3 over diatomic oxygen

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I've always preferred breathing O3 over diatomic oxygen

I mean, you get 50% more oxygen per molecule, that's obviously increased efficiency.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
The striking UCSC graduate students were fired:

https://twitter.com/payusmoreucsc/status/1233495762538921984

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lmao violating long standing labor laws is a great look.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ratbert90 posted:

Lmao violating long standing labor laws is a great look.

Unfortunately. this was a wildcat strike; the local union was not involved.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The Trump Administration changed their classification of grad students last year, prior to the change grad students were both students and workers if they taught, graded, did research, etc. but now they are just students, so grad students can do a card check to say they intend to form a union, but if the university does not choose to voluntarily recognize the union, the grad students can not ask the National Labor Relations Board to hold an election. That means that grad students that are already union are still union and any grad student union that a university chooses to voluntarily recognize can form a new union, but if the university chooses not to voluntarily recognize a grad student union, those grad students are just students and can never legally become a union and gain the legal protections for retaliation against union workers.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

This isn't from that; UCSC grad students are part of UAW 2865, which is a NRLB recognized union. Essentially, the UCSC students think the contract UAW 2865 negotiated (and was ratified in a vote across UC grad students in 2018) sucks and want to try to renegotiate it, UAW 2865 leadership doesn't want to/can't legally do that.

NLRB rules doesn't allow employees to drop out of an existing union and form a new one in the middle of an existing contract (+/- a bunch of exceptions that don't apply). The existing contract essentially says "in exchange for this wage scale/benefits, the union won't call a strike+no protections for anyone who does strike". The law allows trading away freedom to call a strike for benefits, and the current union did so, so UCSC students don't have any legal leg to stand on till the contract runs out in 2022. They're trying to get concessions via wildcat strike, but they won't get any legal protections or support from the union.

In happier news, turns out voting works. After electing a better DA, San Francisco prosecutors office has new policies:
- Decline to file charges for anything found during a pretextual traffic stop. If the police pull someone over for a bullshit reason, no charges for anything they find when searching a card
- Recommended sentences will ignore 3 strikes law
- Recommended sentences will ignore 'gang association' enhancement

(Police union is predictably being whiny babies about it)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Every UC Provost that isn’t plowing tens of millions into subsidized apartment housing for grad students right the gently caress now is basically committing malpractice. If it isn’t already an issue it will be in 5-10 years.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kill Bristol posted:

Every UC Provost that isn’t plowing tens of millions into subsidized apartment housing for grad students right the gently caress now is basically committing malpractice. If it isn’t already an issue it will be in 5-10 years.

Gotta make more housing for freshmen! gently caress them after one year!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Foxfire_ posted:

This isn't from that; UCSC grad students are part of UAW 2865, which is a NRLB recognized union. Essentially, the UCSC students think the contract UAW 2865 negotiated (and was ratified in a vote across UC grad students in 2018) sucks and want to try to renegotiate it, UAW 2865 leadership doesn't want to/can't legally do that.

NLRB rules doesn't allow employees to drop out of an existing union and form a new one in the middle of an existing contract (+/- a bunch of exceptions that don't apply). The existing contract essentially says "in exchange for this wage scale/benefits, the union won't call a strike+no protections for anyone who does strike". The law allows trading away freedom to call a strike for benefits, and the current union did so, so UCSC students don't have any legal leg to stand on till the contract runs out in 2022. They're trying to get concessions via wildcat strike, but they won't get any legal protections or support from the union.

uaw2865 repeatedly submitted requests to bargain with UC over cola. uc ignored these requests, instead trying to (illegally) meet with the strikers. if the union were to support the wildcat strikes otherwise they'd probably be sued into oblivion. union members can individually support them/attend rallies on personal time etc though, and many do, especially after the firings. uaw5810, a sister academic union, has drafted/submitted a letter of support for 2865's requests to bargain. would also add that no strike clauses are bullshit but they're also extremely common in union contracts, my history isn't great but I thought that convention came in around the same time as single union shops etc

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 2, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Fuckin bosses

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kill Bristol posted:

It's not a UC, but I know that was the plan for USC, atleast before the billion scandals hit. No clue where they are on the fundraising for that, but it was the next planned step after the major expansion they finished a few years ago.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

(Police union is predictably being whiny babies about it)

God they whine about every loving thing. It's so painfully clear that they want free reign to be psychotic bullies with Judge Dredd powers.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

slicing up eyeballs posted:

uaw2865 repeatedly submitted requests to bargain with UC over cola. uc ignored these requests, instead trying to (illegally) meet with the strikers. if the union were to support the wildcat strikes otherwise they'd probably be sued into oblivion. union members can individually support them/attend rallies on personal time etc though, and many do, especially after the firings. uaw5810, a sister academic union, has drafted/submitted a letter of support for 2865's requests to bargain. would also add that no strike clauses are bullshit but they're also extremely common in union contracts, my history isn't great but I thought that convention came in around the same time as single union shops etc

Existing contract explicitly says neither side has any obligation to consider renegotiating terms. Legally, the strikers aren't a union, they're individual employees acting for themselves (which is why UC's NRLB complaint against UAW 2865 is also going to fail). No-strike clauses are just the flip side of management not being able to unilaterally cancel the contract either. If you're negotiating a fixed term agreement, both sides are bound by it. If you're negotiating something open ended, either side can cancel at will. You could change the law so a union isn't allowed to give up strike ability, but offering predictability is worth a lot in negotiations.

I can't think of what a good process would be for recovering a situation like this one where one side commits to something stupid and untenable. The business half could do chapter 11 bankruptcy to force renegotiation, but I don't think there's a mirror process for labor (and especially not here where it's only a subgroup of the bigger union)

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

Kill Bristol posted:

Worth noting, UCSC has been trying to build a new 3000 bed housing complex for several years now (as well as new family student housing to expand the stock to 140 units), but the city/alumni/landlords have been fighting tooth and nail to block it. It's currently stuck in court under a California Environmental Quality Act lawsuit, which is apparently a highly abused environmental law used by community groups to kill infill and public works projects. The housing situation is dire enough, but people are actively trying to make it worse.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Just to add some context to the whole graduate student strike thing. For some reasons the numbers are easier to find for UCLA, but it is representative.

TA and RA salaries are here.
Cost of on-campus housing is here.

During the school year you are only allowed to work 50% time. So a brand new TA earns $2435/month ($$1950 after taxes) and pays $1400/month in rent. Paying more than 50% of gross pay is considered extremely rent burdened. This number does include utilities, so it isn't perfect, but having $500 a month of the rest of life is going to make things challenging.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/DocMellyMel/status/1234477243260272641

Also vote for Rachel Rossi

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

https://laist.com/latest/post/20200302/district-attorney-gun-protesters-jackie-lacey-husband-black-lives-matter

The LA DA race is going well!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Sounds like the LADP is investigating

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

I voted for Rachel Rossi! - probably the only race that really mattered on my ballot outside of the dem primary (+1 to Sanders)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It was a real treat listening to Michael Krasnee's dumbass guests this morning discuss the primary. They were:

1. A Never Trump republican
2. A DNC guy there to boost Biden
3. Random reporter who's lived in California one whole year offering anecdotes from visiting California Trump country. Surprise- white people along highway 33 didn't care for Bernie Sanders!

lots of good faith conversations

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

It was a real treat listening to Michael Krasnee's dumbass guests this morning discuss the primary. They were:

3. Random reporter who's lived in California one whole year offering anecdotes from visiting California Trump country. Surprise- white people along highway 33 didn't care for Bernie Sanders!

Hand really on the pulse of the California electorate

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tarezax posted:

I voted for Rachel Rossi! - probably the only race that really mattered on my ballot outside of the dem primary (+1 to Sanders)

California DA might be the second most important race in the country.

DA holds immense power in who is prosecuted and how the County determines how it prosecutes and what alternatives to incarceration they use. A strong reformer could have drastically positive ramifications not just for LA but the country, as LA and California help sets trends for the rest of the country.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Michael Krasnee is such a dogshit journalist. I have a friend who has interacted with Krasnee socially (he's got family that works at KQED) and his assessment is that as soon as you meet Krasnee you can immediately tell that he thinks he got a bit of a bum deal by being the journalist asking interview questions, and that he should really be on the other side of the mic, holding forth as one of the Great Minds of his Generation. It explains everything about his interview style and the way he's always interjecting his own dumb ideas into a conversation.

He's strictly only ever had this face in photos for over 20 years:

He's the worst.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

The Iron Llama posted:

Worth noting, UCSC has been trying to build a new 3000 bed housing complex for several years now (as well as new family student housing to expand the stock to 140 units), but the city/alumni/landlords have been fighting tooth and nail to block it. It's currently stuck in court under a California Environmental Quality Act lawsuit, which is apparently a highly abused environmental law used by community groups to kill infill and public works projects. The housing situation is dire enough, but people are actively trying to make it worse.

Yeah the UCSC strikers are unquestionably in the right overall, but the one area I think they’re wrong is evidently one of the same organizations behind the strike opposed the construction of new housing on campus (this is from the UCSC reddit, could be totally wrong).

But yeah. CA NIMBYs and the million goddamn vetoes they have over new housing, and the immense incentives they have to do so, are easily one of the biggest problems that the state faces at the moment.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh hey if you're voting in contra costa vote yes on measure j or else your roads are gonna turn to poo poo

the previous measure is set to expire soon, this basically extends the extant funding

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh hey if you're voting in contra costa vote yes on measure j or else your roads are gonna turn to poo poo

the previous measure is set to expire soon, this basically extends the extant funding

or alternatively maybe don't fund infrastructure with sales taxes, which are regressive
how about a nice lovely property tax on mansions, or a luxury tax on expensive cars, or poo poo, just a plain old income tax at the state level to pay for transportation projects all over the state

(I voted for measure J but it annoys the poo poo out of me that voting against it would have been taken as "no don't fund transit" rather than "gently caress off with the regressive taxes" so I was holding my nose while I voted)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA DSA has a full voter guide out, with analysis btw.

https://www.dsa-la.org/2020_primary_voter_guide

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I get an application error when I try and check if my mail in ballot was counted. Thank you riverside county, very cool.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Kenning posted:

Michael Krasnee is such a dogshit journalist. I have a friend who has interacted with Krasnee socially (he's got family that works at KQED) and his assessment is that as soon as you meet Krasnee you can immediately tell that he thinks he got a bit of a bum deal by being the journalist asking interview questions, and that he should really be on the other side of the mic, holding forth as one of the Great Minds of his Generation. It explains everything about his interview style and the way he's always interjecting his own dumb ideas into a conversation.

He's strictly only ever had this face in photos for over 20 years:

He's the worst.

I met Krasnee a bunch of times for events I used to run when I was working at a bookstore in SF and the dude definitely thinks he should haventhe national prominence and reputation of like Saul Bellow or something. Super high on his own farts. BUT he also once read a really brutal email I wrote about Joyce Carol Oates to her on air and then was like 'oops sorry out of time so you can't respond' which was funny as hell until she came into the store later for an event and put it together and yelled at me, lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I used to listen to Krasny (actual spelling) on KQED until I heard him interviewing someone from the CIA or something and basically being like 'yes it is good that we bomb all of these countries'.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kill Bristol posted:

I get an application error when I try and check if my mail in ballot was counted. Thank you riverside county, very cool.

I got a 403: Forbidden. I think the universe is trying to tell us something (that's not good)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Probably less opposition to transit and more opposition to making already high sales taxes even higher. We can't keep funding infrastructure on the backs of the poor via regressive tax policy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Probably less opposition to transit and more opposition to making already high sales taxes even higher. We can't keep funding infrastructure on the backs of the poor via regressive tax policy.

Well the bond measure for schools is also losing/is a close vote so what are the other options for paying for things?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Well the bond measure for schools is also losing/is a close vote so what are the other options for paying for things?

Class war

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
In positive news, looks like the Mountain View measure to weaken rent control went down in flames, and also looks like Shahid Buttar will be running against Pelosi in November, having beaten out the Republican for second place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sincx posted:

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1235073311861698560

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1235082029626204160

Not a good night.

I wonder if the much publicized SB50 "transit=density" provisions scared people into voting against transit.

How the gently caress do people suppose that we're going to address the housing crisis without increasing density?