Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving lol

costco is one of the corps I'd actually expect to drum up disaster hype so they sell out of canned chickens in 1 day

I'd expect the opposite; Costco is one of the few high-performing corporations that Wall Street hates, because they do things like pay a livable wage to employees and implement a modicum of quality control on their products

Like when a big hurricane is forecast Costco is one of the few places that implement purchase limits on essentials (like water) to a reasonable per-family number, to help ensure that everyone has a chance to get supplies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

QuarkJets posted:

I'd expect the opposite; Costco is one of the few high-performing corporations that Wall Street hates, because they do things like pay a livable wage to employees and implement a modicum of quality control on their products

Like when a big hurricane is forecast Costco is one of the few places that implement purchase limits on essentials (like water) to a reasonable per-family number, to help ensure that everyone has a chance to get supplies
It dorsnt matter who they sell to, disasters turn stores upside down nomatter how many people shop there. The last 2 fires I experienced people lined up to get gas a mile down the road, literally drained reg and premium gas. Then mothing happened all was fine. The gas stations still made a giant profit from the hype

Costco is good people, their warehouse model is why disasters turn business to them bulk options for long term survival

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
What do you guys think about the german stores that have opened up?

I hear that Lidl and Aldi do pay OK wages, is that actually a chain someone would think of in the US tho?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does the American expansion of LIDL and ALDI at least let their cashiers still sit versus the North American standard that a retail employee should be standing and miserable at all times

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

less than three posted:

Does the American expansion of LIDL and ALDI at least let their cashiers still sit versus the North American standard that a retail employee should be standing and miserable at all times

Yeah they do

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

That's a good enough reason to shop there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving lol

costco is one of the corps I'd actually expect to drum up disaster hype so they sell out of canned chickens in 1 day

lol the only runs were on toilet paper and water. Actual food? Relatively untouched.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It dorsnt matter who they sell to, disasters turn stores upside down nomatter how many people shop there. The last 2 fires I experienced people lined up to get gas a mile down the road, literally drained reg and premium gas. Then mothing happened all was fine. The gas stations still made a giant profit from the hype

Costco is good people, their warehouse model is why disasters turn business to them bulk options for long term survival

How do gas stations make more money from that? Isn't that just a huge shifting of purchase time and now that everyone has a full tank of fuel and a bunch of cans full they simply won't be going to the gas station for a while?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

lol the only runs were on toilet paper and water. Actual food? Relatively untouched.

Big flats of rice bags too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t get the TP thing either. Toilet paper is like the one thing that definitely ain’t going to get its supply chain hosed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you're going to get the runs on something, tp is your best bet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Aldi is limited on selection, but I do indeed have less distaste for them because they pay better wages (still not great, but better), let their cashiers sit down (because they have no need to be standing) and make people bring their own reusable bloody bags.

They also have excellent prices, for the most part, but I only shop there intermittently because they simply don't offer a lot of things that, for me, are staples.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

poo poo and then immediately take a shower like a real American 🙄

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

less than three posted:

Unfortunately sitting all day at work has been linked to bad health outcomes. The ideal scenario would be to have the platform under the cashiers be height adjustable, with a removable chair, and a policy that the cashier is expected to stand by default, but when they get tired they can sit to rest.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

How do gas stations make more money from that? Isn't that just a huge shifting of purchase time and now that everyone has a full tank of fuel and a bunch of cans full they simply won't be going to the gas station for a while?

Former gas station manager here.

Our tanks were 7500 and 15000 gallons. If gas was cheap, we'd order to fill the tanks. If gas was expensive, we'd order to replace what we sold. Any time a storm hit, we'd sell out the tanks at market rate and make a huge profit on that gas, then keep selling and buying market rate gas until the crisis was over, at which point we'd buy cheaper gas (the market for wholesale gas bottoms out a couple weeks after a crisis) to refill the tank.

Basically if we were selling the bottom half of a tank at market rate basically any time we'd make good money, but when supply would get tight and market rate would rise we could sell the bottom half at 60 or 70% profit rather than the 25% we get for buying and reselling at market rates, and then only refill the bottom half of the tank when the market fell.

The entire system was automated, and would only bid on fills if the market was at a fairly remarkable low, so yes, every sell-out event is very profitable for gas stations that buy from the market.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

But what about Mom and Pop gas stations that are refining their own oil?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

human garbage bag posted:

Unfortunately sitting all day at work has been linked to bad health outcomes. The ideal scenario would be to have the platform under the cashiers be height adjustable, with a removable chair, and a policy that the cashier is expected to stand by default, but when they get tired they can sit to rest.
Or just have a stool there with a policy of "let the cashier decide to stand or sit".

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

less than three posted:

ALDI is a notoriously demanding place to work. They pay employees above-average for grocery, but they expect them to work their asses off, everything they do is timed, and they only have 2-3 staff at a time handling the entire store. They also expect high on-call availability because of the low staffing levels.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Plastik posted:

Former gas station manager here.

Our tanks were 7500 and 15000 gallons. If gas was cheap, we'd order to fill the tanks. If gas was expensive, we'd order to replace what we sold. Any time a storm hit, we'd sell out the tanks at market rate and make a huge profit on that gas, then keep selling and buying market rate gas until the crisis was over, at which point we'd buy cheaper gas (the market for wholesale gas bottoms out a couple weeks after a crisis) to refill the tank.

Basically if we were selling the bottom half of a tank at market rate basically any time we'd make good money, but when supply would get tight and market rate would rise we could sell the bottom half at 60 or 70% profit rather than the 25% we get for buying and reselling at market rates, and then only refill the bottom half of the tank when the market fell.

The entire system was automated, and would only bid on fills if the market was at a fairly remarkable low, so yes, every sell-out event is very profitable for gas stations that buy from the market.

Was this a smaller independent station?

I spent a while at a MajorStoreBrand/MajorOilCompany place and everything involving pricing and sales was pretty opaque to store level staff except for managers having to drive around and record competitor pricing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

OneEightHundred posted:

ALDI is a notoriously demanding place to work. They pay employees above-average for grocery, but they expect them to work their asses off, everything they do is timed, and they only have 2-3 staff at a time handling the entire store. They also expect high on-call availability because of the low staffing levels.
Sounds a bit like Costco: better than average pay/working conditions, but you gotta work really hard and staffing levels are definitely low relative to sales volume.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

In Europe, most cashiers sit. They have a movable height-adjustable chair and can decide on what they want. Companies shouldn't force weird esoteric stand-up desk beliefs on their employees.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Goast posted:

Was this a smaller independent station?

I spent a while at a MajorStoreBrand/MajorOilCompany place and everything involving pricing and sales was pretty opaque to store level staff except for managers having to drive around and record competitor pricing.

Nope, Wawa. In Florida, so none of the sweet gas deals they've cut up north.

We did the driving around recording gas prices, too, and could manually change our gas price if necessary, but yes it was handled centrally by the time I was was hired. We knew what the strategy was though, both because corporate loved cheerleaders and because the old, manual fuel system had never been decommissioned, and you could look at the value in the tanks, costs of deliveries, things like that. You couldn't order fuel anymore, as that was automated, but you could see everything, with histories up to a year.

I've been gone awhile, and I know they're changing their systems out, I wonder if that's still visible to a store.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I need to stop thinking that any employer in the service sector is even slightly better than any other. End of the day, they will work their employees to the bone and hire as few people as possible, even if it's to the detriment of those working.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I had a great experience my 5 years at Trader Joes but that was at a specific store so YMMV

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

cr0y posted:

poo poo and then immediately take a shower like a real American 🙄

A real American would poo poo in the shower and waffle stomp it down the drain, saves valuable minutes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I had a great experience my 5 years at Trader Joes but that was at a specific store so YMMV

Putting aside exploiting the proletariat, my personality is badly adapted to that kind of work. This is at least partially due to the fact that I have had to do it so often due to lack of options, so I am biased. I envy and yet am amazed/horrified by people who enjoy that sort of thing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JustJeff88 posted:

I need to stop thinking that any employer in the service sector is even slightly better than any other. End of the day, they will work their employees to the bone and hire as few people as possible, even if it's to the detriment of those working.

This is flat wrong. Majority of people work at small businesses and each can be very different in treatment. Ive neen in businesses run with employees first. It isnt a rarity when yiu look at more than was f500 does.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JustJeff88 posted:

Uh, I mean Costco for example really clearly treats their employees better.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, capitalism and all that, but some service employers are provably better than others

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
costco treats their employees "okay", not any good when compared to european countries though. now if you are deciding between target or walmart you go to the place that has the cheapest. as they are both horrible

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

No, not moving has been linked to bad health outcomes. You can sit at work all day, but if you move in your free time, that's perfectly fine. Trying to co-link health with not sitting is just another insidious way companies want to torture discomfort their employees a bit more, since comfortable people are surely lazy people. Unfortunately most people in the Western world move like 1000 steps in their free time and commute (and most of the between kitchen, couch and toilet), so if they additionally sit at work they don't get any movement and lovely, weak muscles that aren't able to support their spine well enough. But standing around isn't much better than sitting around, only less comfortable. Every few years there is a new "this is the big reason why everyone is so unhealthy (buy our stuff instead!)"-fad, like currently sitting, when the simple reason why everyone is so unhealthy is basically most often going down to two root causes for the last 70 years or so: Eating far too much and most of it full of fat and sugar to an overwhelming degree, and moving not enough (be it walking, strength training, hiking, running, biking...). Both are fixed with no money invested, but people are simply too lazy for either.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Decius posted:

No, not moving has been linked to bad health outcomes. You can sit at work all day, but if you move in your free time, that's perfectly fine. Trying to co-link health with not sitting is just another insidious way companies want to torture discomfort their employees a bit more, since comfortable people are surely lazy people. Unfortunately most people in the Western world move like 1000 steps in their free time and commute (and most of the between kitchen, couch and toilet), so if they additionally sit at work they don't get any movement and lovely, weak muscles that aren't able to support their spine well enough. But standing around isn't much better than sitting around, only less comfortable. Every few years there is a new "this is the big reason why everyone is so unhealthy (buy our stuff instead!)"-fad, like currently sitting, when the simple reason why everyone is so unhealthy is basically most often going down to two root causes for the last 70 years or so: Eating far too much and most of it full of fat and sugar to an overwhelming degree, and moving not enough (be it walking, strength training, hiking, running, biking...). Both are fixed with no money invested, but people are simply too lazy for either.

Putting aside the pretentious condescension of this "post", some people have additional issues. Right at the start of 2019, I started to have worrying pains in my lower back like I've never had before. Long story short is that I have a cracked 2nd lumbar vertebrae, and I can no longer stand for long periods of time. I was supposed to have a minor procedure for the pain, but due to my insurance loving me around for months and months and one phenomenally bad coincidence, I never had it. I am probably going to have to get a job to top up my wages while I am "off" during the summer. Putting aside the damage to my self-esteem, I don't know how I am going to find any work as the only jobs out there are bullshit service jobs that involve long hours being on my feet, which I can't do anymore.

I've heard a number of people talk about doing temporary office/government work, and I always wonder how they managed it. I've looked and looked for jobs like that, but every time I've had to resort to temporary work it always ends up being some kind of stand-up service-sector gig.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Decius posted:

This is a weird take, kind of biotruthy. All available research, including research by Harvard and The Mayo Clinic, indicates that hours spent sitting per day directly correlates with lumbar pain, poor cardiovascular health outcomes, and an increased risk for diabetes. Prolonged static sitting is not good, and as activities go it's one of the newer human ones so that's not super surprising.

Also, the exercise and diet issues you mention (overconsumption of sugars and fats) are a product of the types of food made easily available to the consumer. It's true that we should all read labels and cook as much as possible and exercise more, but it's deeply disingenuous to claim that it's reasonably possible when a historic number of Americans are working multiple jobs to stay in poverty. All of those things require a time investment, and eating food with a better macronutrient balance requires more money no matter how much anyone tries to deny that. The cheapest food available is absolutely awful, but if it's all you can afford then it's hard to argue with.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Please preach us more about the gospel of the standing desk and why retail workers don't deserve chairs. If we're being honest, retail workers should actually have to pay to be allowed to work, considering all the great exercise they're getting! The Mayo clinic said so!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

If you have time to lean you have time to clean!

Every hated retail manager, ever.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

Please preach us more about the gospel of the standing desk and why retail workers don't deserve chairs. If we're being honest, retail workers should actually have to pay to be allowed to work, considering all the great exercise they're getting! The Mayo clinic said so!

It's weird that you equivocate sitting all day being bad and standing desks becoming the norm, but they're not the same. Ideally you'd have an adjustable desk or a separate workstation where you could stand. The problem is butts in seats for hours, but I doubt that stationary standing for hours would be loads better.

And I'm confused, I thought you were mad about people selling you desks under false health pretenses and now standing desks are oppression?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Plastik posted:

Prolonged static sitting is not good, and as activities go it's one of the newer human ones so that's not super surprising.

Prolonged static standing probably fits in that category too, though. If you want to go biotruths about it, look at what animals do. There's activity, there's sitting (not on furniture specifically designed for it), there's lying down. There's no "dog chair" nor do dogs or any other animals just stand up straight and do nothing else for long periods of time.

I find standing basically motionless for a long period of time uncomfortable, but if I'm walking, or doing something that engages my muscles, it's no problem. I get tired, obviously, but it's not physically stressful the way long periods of just standing in one place would be. Sitting or standing, I don't think we're meant to be stationary or nearly stationary for long periods of time outside of sleeping.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PT6A posted:

Prolonged static standing probably fits in that category too, though. If you want to go biotruths about it, look at what animals do. There's activity, there's sitting (not on furniture specifically designed for it), there's lying down. There's no "dog chair" nor do dogs or any other animals just stand up straight and do nothing else for long periods of time.

I find standing basically motionless for a long period of time uncomfortable, but if I'm walking, or doing something that engages my muscles, it's no problem. I get tired, obviously, but it's not physically stressful the way long periods of just standing in one place would be. Sitting or standing, I don't think we're meant to be stationary or nearly stationary for long periods of time outside of sleeping.

I have that as well, and I'm sure that you are in much better shape than I am. Walking around is a lot less stressful for me and, while it will fatigue me, it's not nearly as bad as standing in place. It still will exacerbate my lower back pain given enough time, but it takes quite a bit longer than standing still.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you have time to lean you have time to clean!

Every hated retail manager, ever.

Well I haven't seen you do any loving cleaning, and I certainly don't see you doing any work, Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JustJeff88 posted:

I have that as well, and I'm sure that you are in much better shape than I am.

Maybe, maybe not. I have mild cerebral palsy, so I don't know if that affects it significantly or not. But realistically, that's an important point: lots of people are not in perfect physical shape, or have conditions which affect their mobility or ability to stand/sit long-term, and employers' expectations should ideally reflect the fact that what is best for one person may not be best for another person.