Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, there probably won't be many pits in there (even when I was buying absurdly cheap ones from random street people in Chengdu they were pretty well cleaned), and if you miss a few it's not a huge deal. Any little round black balls are what you want to toss. You can pick off any little bits of twig too if you're real fancy, but nobody bothers in Sichuan. They're mostly used whole, not ground. Mapo tofu is the only thing I can think of offhand that involves grinding them but I'm sure there are some others. Typically you just add them with your dried chilis to the hot oil and cook them for whatever the appropriate time is given the level of heat you're working with. You can't really tell any difference with the Sichuan pepper, but you want your chilis to redden but not get dark before you add the next step (usually your ginger/garlic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I saw one recipe that called for straining them out after cooking them in the oil (and presumably flavoring the oil). I guess that’s not really necessary?

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thanks. I saw one recipe that called for straining them out after cooking them in the oil (and presumably flavoring the oil). I guess that’s not really necessary?

That's for massive wimps and babies and people from Shanghai. If you're trying to replicate real Sichuan you want mountains of the things and you eat them all. :getin:

But seriously you do build up a tolerance. My mouth would buzz all the time when I first moved there, now I have to literally just shovel handfuls directly into my mouth to get the numbness. The numb is part of the deal so you want to eat them.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

^^^hell yeah the numbing is the best bit. It's food cocaine

I have a bunch of numbing peppercorns that I want to use soon. What is the simplest recipe that focuses on Sichuan peppercorns? I have no issue with chilli and also have shitloads of dried red chillis. thinking something like Lasiji, if anyone has a good recipe

Edit: just saw I've stumbled into Sichuan peppercorns chat. Still I am chasing a simple recipe, I have no cooking chops

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 2, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Mapo Tofu is good for a novice because you don't really need a wok or to do any high heat cooking or frying. The Serious Eats recipe is good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

lilbeefer posted:

^^^hell yeah the numbing is the best bit. It's food cocaine

I have a bunch of numbing peppercorns that I want to use soon. What is the simplest recipe that focuses on Sichuan peppercorns? I have no issue with chilli and also have shitloads of dried red chillis. thinking something like Lasiji, if anyone has a good recipe

Edit: just saw I've stumbled into Sichuan peppercorns chat. Still I am chasing a simple recipe, I have no cooking chops

They don't numb me anymore. :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

lilbeefer posted:

I have a bunch of numbing peppercorns that I want to use soon. What is the simplest recipe that focuses on Sichuan peppercorns?
Make this. Very simple, shows off peppercorns pretty well.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It actually saddens me to learn this happens. It should be another flavour, like sweet, sour or spicy, but is clearly too good for this world :(

Human Tornada posted:

Mapo Tofu is good for a novice because you don't really need a wok or to do any high heat cooking or frying. The Serious Eats recipe is good.

Will try it, but with pork maybe? I was also thinking of mapo tofu but it requires buying a quite a bit of ingredients

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Make this. Very simple, shows off peppercorns pretty well.

This is what I'm chasing, thanks!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

lilbeefer posted:

Will try it, but with pork maybe? I was also thinking of mapo tofu but it requires buying a quite a bit of ingredients

Yes, it will be good with pork.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

Yes, it will be good with pork.

Rename thread.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get a Sichuan peppercorn tree, use them fresh. Green Sichuan peppercorns are a lot more numbing than dried.

Ok I got a big bag of Szechuan peppercorns. I know you throw away the insides right? Although these look opened and maybe sifted for that already? Mortar and pestle for grinding works best?
M&P works for grinding them and makes sense if you only cook with them occasionally. I just bought a dedicated pepper mill for them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

Get a Sichuan peppercorn tree, use them fresh. Green Sichuan peppercorns are a lot more numbing than dried.

This is like saying "not getting the same old buzz? Try freebasing!"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Magna Kaser posted:

You want this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Xian-Broad-Paste/dp/B00A9OF6NS/

Most Asian markets also sell it for a good deal less than Amazon, but one bag will last you a good long while so it's not a crazy expenditure.

Absolutely not the case in my house, I go through pounds of the stuff!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have this on my list to try since I am also looking for anything with szechuan peppercorns and pickled mustard greens

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9L9-QIHZY3/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have this on my list to try since I am also looking for anything with szechuan peppercorns and pickled mustard greens

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9L9-QIHZY3/

suancaiyu rules a lot and is not that hard to make.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I made my own chili oil and holy poo poo this stuff slaps.

my spicy food tolerance is pretty good and I don't think I've actually truly felt the numbing from any Chinese food before this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have some sliced pork belly and some jarred char siu sauce. How can I make a tasty thing? Should I braise the belly then stir fry with the sauce to glaze it?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I made really good hong shao rou with pork belly the other day.

https://thewoksoflife.com/shanghai-style-braised-pork-belly/

used this recipe as a base but i added a stick of cinnamon, some green sichuan peppercorns, a couple star anise and a few big slices of ginger to the pot while it braised cuz every other recipe i found called for them. most also called for a bay leaf or two but i didn't have any.

came out super duper good. highly recommend!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My attempt to make tea eggs, take 2.

Xander77 posted:

Does the second method here work?
This works for steaming eggs.

Poking a tiny hole at the bottom of the egg does make it easier to peel (and allows the marinade to form pockets under the shell).

However- I took the eggs out of the water a bit too early, and thought I might give them a few more minutes to boil in the simmering marinade. The result was extremely poor - about a third of the yolk had that tea egg quality, while the rest was just... hard boiled.

Question about boiling the eggs for several hours, as recommended here:

totalnewbie posted:

In the marinade. Don't know what you consider rubbery. I'm used to eggs boiled for so long.

https://tworedbowls.com/2014/01/21/tea-eggs/
Anyone else try this?

Would boiling the eggs entirely in marinade (instead of boiling them in water, taking them out to cool off and form cracks in the shell with a spoon before dumping them in the marinade) make a difference?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Xander77 posted:

Anyone else try this?

Would boiling the eggs entirely in marinade (instead of boiling them in water, taking them out to cool off and form cracks in the shell with a spoon before dumping them in the marinade) make a difference?

Oh, I soft boiled them and cracked the shells first before the marinade. But then I boiled in the marinade for hours and hours.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That didn't work at all. Like... at all. The marinade completely failed to penetrate the yolk, even after hours of boiling in marinade and an overnight stay in the fridge (even in those eggs I thought were cracked too much). Just hard boiled eggs with lightly marinated whites. Not recommended in the least.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, I soft boiled them and cracked the shells first before the marinade. But then I boiled in the marinade for hours and hours.

Wouldn't that cook the yolk to a really unpleasant state?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

first attempt at hong you chao shou from fuschia dunlop

i’m real slow at this

probably make 80-90 by the end

Hauki
May 11, 2010

final product:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Xander77 posted:

That didn't work at all. Like... at all. The marinade completely failed to penetrate the yolk, even after hours of boiling in marinade and an overnight stay in the fridge (even in those eggs I thought were cracked too much). Just hard boiled eggs with lightly marinated whites. Not recommended in the least.

That's what I usually get. This picture is what I got a few years ago but I've repeated it several times.

...wait, yolk? No, it's not going to get to the yolk. The egg whites are what get flavored. But it's not a very strong flavor like you would get like if you actually dipped it in soy sauce, for example, but it's definitely there of tea, etc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Wouldn't that cook the yolk to a really unpleasant state?
My first association was hard boiled eggs from my army days. All green and chalky inside.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So I made mapo dofu the other day

Threw some avocado in because I didn't have enough 'fu and it was mentioned earlier.

Anyway, that's not what this post is for, it's for what I did with some of the leftovers just now

(That's buttered brown bread. Sorry for the terrible picture, and for what I have done)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wild new moves in avocado toast.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This seems like a good place to ask: I have a friend who's very fond of fish (white, ocean fish particularly). Unfortunately, my knowledge of Chinese cooking skews heavily Sichuan.

Any recommendations?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This one's a simple classic, but the Sichuan fish dishes work fine with ocean fish too. https://thewoksoflife.com/cantonese-steamed-fish/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

suancai yu will prob be good with any fish.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Could always just do a simple steamed fish with scallions, ginger, soy sauce.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

https://thewoksoflife.com/sichuan-boiled-fish-shui-zhu-yu/ shui Zhu yu aka "a big bucket of mala and chili oil"?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Naw, it's just fish boiled in water :v:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The cantonese dish linked above is some variation of 清蒸鱼.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dzhay posted:

This seems like a good place to ask: I have a friend who's very fond of fish (white, ocean fish particularly). Unfortunately, my knowledge of Chinese cooking skews heavily Sichuan.

Any recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eSvtY9KMI

This seems easy and nice. I like this method of cooking the fish separately because it comes out very crispy without a deep fryer. Since you're cooking the fish separately from the sauce it's easy to pan fry fillets if you don't want to deal with a whole fish or a lot of oil.

just for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW41chCdtBs

I love the videos with his uncle because the old dude hanging out chillin under a tree just watching with his hands in his pockets makes you feel like you're really in China.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes I just watch his videos to see his uncle. Dude is absolutely great.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Can anyone tell where they're from?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zigong, Sichuan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Zigong is cool despite being a small city cuz it has:

1. a really good dinosaur museum cuz it's near some salt flat where a bunch of really well preserved dinos were
2. an inexplicably interesting museum about the salt industry cuz again, salt flats
3. probably the spiciest noodles in sichuan. people elsewhere in sichuan are afraid of these noods and speak of them in whispers (they're not that spicy and v. good)

anyway this is my zigong minute.