Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doomykins posted:

Glad to help, a sweep of devo shrines and a few point respecs and you should get a big boost to survival. I think expac bosses are a lot more dangerous than vanilla ones so low defenses will get you in trouble eventually, my worst risks were in the last tenth of Malmouth and Gods.

I picked up an extra devotion point or two but haven't done a full sweep yet, though I did rearrange a few points (I can't use word of arms since that requires a 2h), and killed Elite Krieg with 1 death. Despite being a ranged character, facetanking worked a lot better; I think that's because it stops him from doing the aether shotgun. Also I do a lot more damage up close because of Flame Torrent and Aura of Censure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Whoops my mistake on Word of Arms. And nice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Darkrenown posted:

My Pet Necromancer is now level 42. I just ran into the Death's Vigil faction so of course I choose to sign up for them, but for a Necromatic faction they really don't seem to offer much in the way of Necromancer armour, even looking at the higher rep gear :(

Necromancer was only released with the first expansion so all its poo poo is basically in the expansion factions.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have so many buttons to push and i'm an autoattack character lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

e-

given the above with facetanking, I wonder if I should switch to a bladedancer's talisman and go dual-wield melee, instead?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

triple post how in the world

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Infinity Gaia posted:

Necromancer was only released with the first expansion so all its poo poo is basically in the expansion factions.

Sure, but they could have patched it in. Plus part of their "join us" pitch was Pet damage and there's hardly anything which offers it. I saw this:

when I googled about the faction gear, but it seems to have had the Pet damage removed ingame, so they're clearly not adverse to changing their loot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

update: switching to melee has been pretty effective

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Right so some time ago I started this game, played for ~15 hours, decided it was good but put it down for a while, then bought Wolcen which turned out to be a giant dumpster fire, but it finally inspired me to get deeper into GD. A hundred hours later I have a level 81 nightblade/occultist dual wield melee shredder, who is probably wildly unoptimal but hey at least I'm only dying once in a while and most things I come across die pretty quick.

At the moment my main problem is that I'm very torn between carrying on and starting a new toon to make use of all the cool poo poo I have lying around in my rapidly filling stash.

In closing, I'd like to say that this game owns. Dreeg bless.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I see a lot of posters thrashing Wolcen ITT, can anyone summarise why it's bad so I don't have to wade through the 40+ pages of the dedicated thread?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

szary posted:

I see a lot of posters thrashing Wolcen ITT, can anyone summarise why it's bad so I don't have to wade through the 40+ pages of the dedicated thread?

Very buggy and unbalanced, with bad loot and a lot of questionable design choices. Seems like it could be okay after a few dozen patches

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

szary posted:

Mostly it's just that it's real fucken buggy, but also a lot of people in the thread seemed to be expecting a POE-like forevergame when in reality the post-campaign is pretty underbaked and unbalanced. Running through the story is pretty fun because it's got the best combat and graphics of any ARPG but even as somebody who's mostly enjoyed the game I would absolutely suggest waiting for it to be patched up.

E: Oh yeah and the loot does kinda suck.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

Very buggy and unbalanced, with bad loot and a lot of questionable design choices. Seems like it could be okay after a few dozen patches
introduced bugs that weren't in the early access version, notably.

also they can only put out one patch per week for Reasons.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

forhorglingrads posted:

I ended up doing this as my first character, going into this game totally blind. Any chance of an update on this build/gear/devotion..etc?

I'm 63 atm, just wondering if I'm going to get to a point where this build will no longer work, or isn't worth investing in beyond 85.

Yeah, let me take a look.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Wolcen definitely has potential. The combat is super fun and in these games combat is like 70% of the game IMO. You spend a lot of time doing it. Like others have said though, the game is pretty bad once you get out of the story mode and into mid and end game. 3/4 of the active skills dont scale well, 1/4 of the passives on the tree dont work, Including +% spell damage. There is pet builds in the game, but no way to scale pets, as the gear has no +%pet scaling on it. So this just leaves a few decent builds right now that can push the end game. Not to mention the end game consists of only a few set maps that you run over and over again. Servers and net code are poo poo. Im not even sure this company even has the know how to fix this game.

One thing coming from Wolcen to other arpgs, is im already missing the space bar dodge rolls.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Wolcen needed at least six more months in the oven. Releasing it with a hefty price tag was a mistake as well, but I bet the reason for both is that they ran out of money. Strange thing to note; several people who played the early access builds claim that the game seemed way more polished and stable than what we got at launch. Maybe they borked everything up while rushing to cram in the campaign? Who knows? What we do know, is that the game is a complete clusterfuck right now. The potential for a great ARPG is there, but it's highly doubtful that the team is going to pull it off anytime soon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Didn't they only have Act 1 in early access? Then they added everything else for the release and surprise, the untested content was buggy and unbalanced.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

Didn't they only have Act 1 in early access? Then they added everything else for the release and surprise, the untested content was buggy and unbalanced.
I didn't even get through act 1, I'm talking about stuff like "sometimes loot on the ground doesn't get picked up when you click it" and "the inventory pane can lose focus" and "sometimes items aren't sold/transferred to the stash when you click them in your inventory"

it's very weird that these bugs were introduced in the release version

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The worst thing about Wolcen right now is that you can't actually make any builds because the balance is too bad. There's just a few correct ways to kill things and everything else is ineffectual and that's kinda sad.

The loot being bad is also real problematic and I'm a bit miffed about that because the very first unique I found was a bow that gave you +1 projectiles fired which was pretty cool. It made me think the other uniques might also have some impactful modifiers but NOPE.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It was pretty helpful that I had two blue axes to use when I switched over to melee, and now I've been able to push more, kill cronley deathless, and generally improve most of my gear. Flashbang->rush into spam on cooldown has been pretty effective, and I just sunk a point into the blackwater cocktail modifier and am gonna start pumping it for shred so we should see improvements there. Started filling out uluzin's torch, too, so once I deal with shrines that will get the damage up as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Agent355 posted:

The worst thing about Wolcen right now is that you can't actually make any builds because the balance is too bad. There's just a few correct ways to kill things and everything else is ineffectual and that's kinda sad.

The loot being bad is also real problematic and I'm a bit miffed about that because the very first unique I found was a bow that gave you +1 projectiles fired which was pretty cool. It made me think the other uniques might also have some impactful modifiers but NOPE.
I think some of the passive tree nodes still don't work or don't work correctly, at that. Trying to make builds is a wasted effort because poo poo might work differently in a couple patches. Game's just straight up not done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, that +1 projectiles is also a passive tree node. In fact, everything unusual like that I've seen on a unique (mostly from screenshots of them) is something I recognize as a passive tree node.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
It is worth it to play the game on Veteran for a fist time player for the 10% XP bonus? Or will it just be an unfug slog?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chaitai posted:

It is worth it to play the game on Veteran for a fist time player for the 10% XP bonus? Or will it just be an unfug slog?

I wouldn't say it's an "unfun slog" if you do the recommended thing and pump one skill hard to start with.
But the general consensus is that you'll kill things more than 10% faster on Normal, so you may as well go for that unless you want a more challenging start.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chaitai posted:

Well, you can always try it and disable it if things get too rough. I switched it on soon after starting the game because things felt a bit too easy, then turned it off at the very end of the campaign when I started dying a bit too often for my liking. Most of the time the challenge it added felt just right.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

forhorglingrads posted:

I ended up doing this as my first character, going into this game totally blind. Any chance of an update on this build/gear/devotion..etc?

I'm 63 atm, just wondering if I'm going to get to a point where this build will no longer work, or isn't worth investing in beyond 85.

I tooled around a bit, and if I made the character today, it would probably look something like this: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOBKJoZ

That's a ton of passive regen and spell life leech. Probably can facetank everything in the game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Chaitai posted:

As someone who just recently started playing but has a few dozen hours under my belt now, skip Veteran and don't look back. So yeah my vote is "unfun slog" since I tried that myself using the old advice before they rebalanced it to be dumb hard on a new character.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'd skip Veteran until you've got a character through the game with all the exalted reps and then faction blueprints. The components you can build from them are pretty good. Mandates and Clarity potions are also very nice to have on Vet, as well. I've been derping around freehanding a Cold Spellbreaker on Vet and having a ton of fun, but I know it would be a slog if I wasn't burning Clarity potions and wearing a relic and full components.

Ultimate Alt Cheese Leveling Strat for Ballers with lots of Money and Mats

-Roll up your character.
-Jump into Crucible to access your Stash
-Get your Lokarr/XP suit + Clarity Pots + Ult Rock + Mandates + at least 1 Aether Shard(I set these up in their own shared stash tab, so I don't forget anything)
-Load up Campaign in Normal and burn your Ult Rock + Mandates.
-Go to Conclave of the Three, and find 5 lore notes.
-Go to Coven's Refuge. Trista's Diary and Whispers from Beyond are both in chests.
-Go to Barrowholm and find 2 lore notes. Aurin's Recipe is in a chest.
-If you want, you can go to the Basement Laboratory waypoint in Act 1, and snatch two more Creed journals just North of the portal.
-Heading toward the bridge into the first zone, there's a round cage on the left. You can walk your character into a little niche next to it, rotate your camera, and pick up the scrawled note from inside the prison.
-Quit to the menu, and swap to Ultimate.
-Drink a Clarity pot and read all of your lore notes. This should net you several levels. I suggest pumping an attack skill for the next part. You're going to hit Lv10 very quickly, so pick whichever mastery you have planned with the best direct attack, even if it's not going to be your primary. The easier to kite with, the better. You can take back the skill points later if you don't plan on keeping that skill.
-From here, rush the first zone.(If you die, don't forget the Clarity pots) You can find the Harbormaster's note, a couple of Creed Journals, and when you loot Francis' gun, you get his note. If your attack skill is ranged compatible, this is a great weapon. If not, there's also a guaranteed 2h Green in this zone.
-Rescue the guy in the Northwest house.
-Rush the Reanimator. This is where you want that attack to be boosted, or you'll be here forever. KIIIIIIIIIITE! Kill him. If you manage to clear to it, you can restore the Shrine for an Aether Shard and net more XP.
-Portal back to Devil's Crossing
-Turn the quest in to Bourbon to get access to the prison.
-Grab Scrap for Barnaby and some Aether Crystals for Kasparov
-Talk to the Spirit Guide lady.
-Talk to the guy you rescued.
-Take and turn in Kasparov's quest.
-Take and turn in Barnaby's quest.
-Read any lore notes you haven't yet.

Depending on your kills from start to Reanimator fight, this will get you from Character Creation to ~lv30 in 45ish minutes. From there, you can easily rush shrines in Normal to make yourself even more OP.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

What I'm kinda wondering is what to do now that I'm near the end of FG quests after beating the main story in Ultimate. Some of my stuff is from twenty levels ago but the stuff I'm seeing for my build (vit coniurer) requires endgame secret boss stuff and I dunno if I can handle stuff like Morgoneth. I appreciate the item database but it seems finicky at times when trying to narrow stuff down, or I don't know enough about what stats are good on what slots to make my own alternate setup in the meantime. I guess I can run Packla over and over for an upgrade to the 60s Skins I've been wearing for forever and hope some other good Wendigo stuff drops too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What I'm kinda wondering is what to do now that I'm near the end of FG quests after beating the main story in Ultimate. Some of my stuff is from twenty levels ago but the stuff I'm seeing for my build (vit coniurer) requires endgame secret boss stuff and I dunno if I can handle stuff like Morgoneth. I appreciate the item database but it seems finicky at times when trying to narrow stuff down, or I don't know enough about what stats are good on what slots to make my own alternate setup in the meantime. I guess I can run Packla over and over for an upgrade to the 60s Skins I've been wearing for forever and hope some other good Wendigo stuff drops too.
Morgoneth and the other key dungeon bosses aren't really that tough. The Ugdenbog dungeon's boss is kind of an rear end in a top hat because he spawns shotguns and has a giant firebreathing tree in the center of the room, but even he's manageable as long as you pay very keen attention to positioning and movement.

Here's my handy quick advice for beating key dungeon end bosses:
  • Alkamos: Watch out for the blue fire, move around every 5-7 seconds so he can't trap you in it.
  • Gargabol: Try to keep moving and stay as far to the outside as you can in phase 2 to give yourself the most space against the flamethrower tree.
  • Morgoneth: Just beat the poo poo out of him. Make sure you have at least one good AoE in your rotation to kill adds.
  • Shar'Zul: Tank him next to the spikes in the center if you really need to avoid his wave of fire and such. I usually just facetank it.
  • Valbury Council: Hallos spawns aether traps and has a damaging aura, so kill him first. Then kill Van Aldritch because he drops meteors. Just focus fire each one and keep moving as much as you can to avoid getting nailed by traps and meteors.
Also getting key mats isn't that tough so you may as well do them at least once just to see what they're like. Some of them (i.e. not loving valbury) are pretty fun.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

Morgoneth and the other key dungeon bosses aren't really that tough. The Ugdenbog dungeon's boss is kind of an rear end in a top hat because he spawns shotguns and has a giant firebreathing tree in the center of the room, but even he's manageable as long as you pay very keen attention to positioning and movement.

Here's my handy quick advice for beating key dungeon end bosses:
  • Alkamos: Watch out for the blue fire, move around every 5-7 seconds so he can't trap you in it.
  • Gargabol: Try to keep moving and stay as far to the outside as you can in phase 2 to give yourself the most space against the flamethrower tree.
  • Morgoneth: Just beat the poo poo out of him. Make sure you have at least one good AoE in your rotation to kill adds.
  • Shar'Zul: Tank him next to the spikes in the center if you really need to avoid his wave of fire and such. I usually just facetank it.
  • Valbury Council: Hallos spawns aether traps and has a damaging aura, so kill him first. Then kill Van Aldritch because he drops meteors. Just focus fire each one and keep moving as much as you can to avoid getting nailed by traps and meteors.
Also getting key mats isn't that tough so you may as well do them at least once just to see what they're like. Some of them (i.e. not loving valbury) are pretty fun.

I've run Valbury actually, don't remember much about it since I was following a map and going kill-run-kill-run the whole time, and I think it was in Normal. Damage floors aren't that annoying as it keeps the fights less about mashing rotation, but some of those aetherfire patches are extremely fuzzy on where the border is, especially around invisible walls. Most of my damage floor deaths have been from standing next to a wall not in fire and dying to fire anyway because I guess they just painted it all the way to the wall but the art fill-in doesn't match that, which sucks for gameplay.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Damage floors will wreck your poo poo if you do anything but run through them, including stopping to kill anything (unless you have a boatload of life steal). It's especially awful in Valbury for exactly that reason, and also that the game really gets hung up on anything involving a z-axis. In normal the floors aren't too bad but in elite/ult you will straight up die without (pick two) mirror, aether clusters, healing skills, and potions.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Oh yeah I'm in Ultimate trying to farm the Dark One set atm, and yeah I don't sit around in them but at least they don't immediately kill you for stopping. Having max aether res, potions, and being a vit caster helps.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If I'm remembering right, aether corruption ignores your aether resistance. You just soak it with HP, no matter what you're playing.(pretty sure it ignores armor too!)

Locke Dunnegan posted:

For your first character, start looking for stuff you can reliably farm. MIs and such. In key dungeons there will be a vendor with purple gear blueprints. They're expensive, but some of them great to wear while you're looking for your BiS to drop. The faction gear in Ultimate can also be really good for the time being. Don't sleep on it. If there's a legendary that really makes your build, ask in Discord if anybody's got one to trade/spare. If it's a set item, you can ask if someone has the helm blueprint so they can make you some transmute fodder. Nobody in Discord will shame you if you ask me for a key piece that 'fell off of a truck' either. Endgame farming is not tuned for clownsuits. That first farm character is a bitch to put together.

Don't feel like you have to roll up some boring tank to do it, though. The best spec for farming is the one you have fun playing. My first character was a DW melee vit/poison Witch Hunter. I farmed Edge of Reality for that Dark One set in some rough gear! gently caress those rocks! It's not an SR stud, but it still wrecks all campaign content, shits on key dungeon bosses and nemeses, and reliably kills Ravager and Lokarr(ya want that alt suit!).

Clitch fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 4, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Clitch posted:

If I'm remembering right, aether corruption ignores your aether resistance. You just soak it with HP, no matter what you're playing.(pretty sure it ignores armor too!)

Poison water, aetherfire and I think one other thing are literally just coded as percent health drain with no resistances.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Clitch posted:

For your first character, start looking for stuff you can reliably farm. MIs and such. In key dungeons there will be a vendor with purple gear blueprints. They're expensive, but some of them great to wear while you're looking for your BiS to drop. The faction gear in Ultimate can also be really good for the time being. Don't sleep on it. If there's a legendary that really makes your build, ask in Discord if anybody's got one to trade/spare. If it's a set item, you can ask if someone has the helm blueprint so they can make you some transmute fodder. Nobody in Discord will shame you if you ask me for a key piece that 'fell off of a truck' either. Endgame farming is not tuned for clownsuits. That first farm character is a bitch to put together.

Don't feel like you have to roll up some boring tank to do it, though. The best spec for farming is the one you have fun playing. My first character was a DW melee vit/poison Witch Hunter. I farmed Edge of Reality for that Dark One set in some rough gear! gently caress those rocks! It's not an SR stud, but it still wrecks all campaign content, shits on key dungeon bosses and nemeses, and reliably kills Ravager and Lokarr(ya want that alt suit!).

Honestly I am only interested in multiplayer if it's actually playing with people. I know I can just use a trainer and get whatever I want but skipping that progression would kill a lot of the game for me. Seeing my character begin to come together over time is what makes these sorts of games fun. I wish the Devotion system was less clunky and brain burning but if that makes it a bit harder to min-max then I'm fine with it I think.

Also I didn't realize Ravager was a super tough boss, so when I found one of the helms while searching on grimtools I was like "sure I am handling ultimate pretty well let's try it" and welp

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Honestly I am only interested in multiplayer if it's actually playing with people.
Get in discord, hang out with us and we'll play a thing. I'm generally down for killing SR, crucible, key dungeons, and/or whatever else you wanna murder as long as I'm not busy with anything else (e.g. tonight I have a D&D game).

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

hey those aforementioned untargetable statues in edge of reality sure can suck the poo poo right out of my rear end in a top hat

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I turned Veteran difficulty on and it's not much harder, so I'd say give it a shot, new players. There's more enemy heroes and bigger packs so there's more loot drops and base XP gain on top of the 10% XP modifier. Sometimes I take damage and have to disengage briefly or have to resummon my pets, but I can still charge through areas while my army murders everything.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Did anyone else's reputations get hosed up on the most recent patch? I had a couple of characters get rolled back from revered to honored (thankfully it was to ~24000 but still kind of a pain) with friendly factions like Devil's Crossing and Black Legion, though the enemy reps got left untouched and idk what happened. I'm running no mods so it wouldn't be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I dunno but earlier it seemed like the first rep gain for each faction after the patch had the "You have reached [x] standing with [y]". It threw me off because I thought I was nearly maxed on Dreeg but I saw Honored pop up and thought I got hosed out of the rest of that stage but it's still there so :shrug: