Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yes, and she has no actual eyebrows, it was a super unflattering photo (imo not at all by accident).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its an ocd thing i think. she looks way better in that new pic

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

She has alopecia, that's a better photo/better makeup :shrug:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rosiegray/katie-mchugh

e: this is not a critique of her appearance (at least on my part) she literally does have alopecia and the hair/eyebrows are makeup and a wig

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
oh

also did she ever express remorse for the people that she hurt, or is she still just whining about how she ruined her own life by being a piece of poo poo

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

baw posted:

is she the eyebrows one

did we ever find out wtf was up with the eyebrows
I would guess the line between eyebrow patch and skin is hidden by makeup under normal lighting, but photo lighting/color correction/whatever inadvertently made it visible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

baw posted:

oh

also did she ever express remorse for the people that she hurt, or is she still just whining about how she ruined her own life by being a piece of poo poo

she's real sad about not having a high paying job in media :qq:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gwen goes off.

https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1234539375012253697

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who is this and why does this read like a kyoon post?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Siljmonster posted:

I mean she literally introduces herself in the thread

Which is a pro click fyi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

katie mchugh dropping the bombshell revelation that breitbart lacks journalistic integrity

https://twitter.com/sorrynotsorry/status/1234123653169766400

Surely this will end Miller’s career

Ah well nevertheless

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pookel posted:

I mean she literally introduces herself in the thread

Which is a pro click fyi

Can you break it down to like 3 tweets tops. 100+ tweets goddamn

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Siljmonster posted:

Read it to the end. She is legit (I know her through Nosotros and Indymedia here in Greece), had no idea until some months ago that she even had twitter tho.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Alan Smithee posted:

Can you break it down to like 3 tweets tops. 100+ tweets goddamn

It's a great story though

The gist of it is: if you let newbie white boys run your movement and coddle their frail egos by refusing to hold them accountable for their behavior, you will end up attracting a bunch of dirtbag dipshits, many of whom will happily switch sides when they get tired of being asked to do actual work and behave like adults.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

pookel posted:

The gist of it is: if you let newbie white boys run your movement and coddle their frail egos by refusing to hold them accountable for their behavior, you will end up attracting a bunch of dirtbag dipshits, many of whom will happily switch sides when they get tired of being asked to do actual work and behave like adults.

I feel like I wouldn't need to read a 100-tweet thread to know and understand this, though.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LonsomeSon posted:

I feel like I wouldn't need to read a 100-tweet thread to know and understand this, though.

Well sure but this is the alt-right thread and she gives a pretty cool inside story on how the Occupy movement got co-opted. You might want to invest the...10' sometime in the future, it's worth it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pookel posted:

is this the thread whose inciting action is the sentence "the New York Times had a billionaire heiress do a piece on Chapo Trap House that wasn't flattering, and this is a serious problem for the Left"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

pookel posted:

If only she could have told this story without clout-chasing a podcast.

"The left doesn't gatekeep enough" is a hell of a take.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1234522434029719552?s=20

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its funny how many people are trying to pin white supremacy to chapotraphouse

Dante80 posted:

Well sure but this is the alt-right thread and she gives a pretty cool inside story on how the Occupy movement got co-opted. You might want to invest the...10' sometime in the future, it's worth it.

its not good sorry

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

he was probably going to lead a breakout session

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

is this the thread whose inciting action is the sentence "the New York Times had a billionaire heiress do a piece on Chapo Trap House that wasn't flattering, and this is a serious problem for the Left"
This is the thread where Chapo fanboys are pretending that if the NYT criticized Chapo for something, then anyone who has a problem with Chapo is a liberal, QED, yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol that nyt piece was pretty choice, just absolutely no understanding of left ideology so she lumps 3 podcasts together and says they're horrible because they don't have a manager to complain to

Anybody who supports the healthcare status quo is a far more monstrous human being than Amber, no matter how many times she calls the Maltese the teacup poodle of ethnicities

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

If only she could have told this story without clout-chasing a podcast.

"The left doesn't gatekeep enough" is a hell of a take.

narcissists going on rants about how all the other narcissists are ruining the movement is always a fascinating read, because they're fantastic at identifying their own weaknesses as demonstrated by others. i have absolutely no doubt that the things she describes happening to her personally happened. occupy was a shitshow, and as she's intimately familiar, there's no shortage of people who view stuff like this as just an extension of their personal #brand. but you read enough of these rants, and you start to notice a pattern. the manifesto inevitably climaxes with the real crime, the real problem, the true blasphemy: how dare someone else get recognition from this thing that is MINE. how dare they profane this space, which my effort has made sacred, with their presence.

what makes these filth think they are my equals.

it is grimly funny to compare late-stage Milo rants to Melissa McEwan rants. you get some real spicy takes out of people who are afraid they are losing control of what they think is theirs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be fair, she's a real professional activist, while McEwan thinks activism is reading the news and blogging about it.

pookel posted:

This is the thread where Chapo fanboys are pretending that if the NYT criticized Chapo for something, then anyone who has a problem with Chapo is a liberal, QED, yes.
Nah, the problem with people who don't like Chapo is that it's impossible for them to just dislike something. They have to go on an unhinged rant about it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

pookel posted:

Can't help but mention the patreon. It's always about cooking up some witchhunt based on false accusations of racism and misogyny because they feel passed over and unappreciated. gently caress her for even thinking about siding with the water oligarch debutante.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pookel posted:

nah, she's not a liberal. she cares. she's trying. and she got really badly hurt by how Occupy was run, and how it collapsed, and reacting to trauma by cultivating a safe, enclosed space where no outside forces can harm you is a time-honored tradition. and for some people it helps.

when someone in your political movement starts talking about how it's better conceived of as a church, and that the unfaithful must be purged before their infection can spread?

something has gone wrong

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dmitri-9 posted:

Can't help but mention the patreon.
LOL, did you try to follow the patreon link

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Epic High Five posted:

Anybody who supports the healthcare status quo is a far more monstrous human being than Amber, no matter how many times she calls the Maltese the teacup poodle of ethnicities
It's possible to support universal health care AND not do slurs, is the thing.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Well there is one thing that narcissistic rant got correct. There are going to be a ton of left tourists jumping ship as soon as the pendulum swings back right. Alienated people want to be part of an energized movement, and when the right wing adjusts (they're much better at it) you're gonna see a lot of white people want the dual fruits of social programs AND privilege.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's a "left tourist?" Is it anyone who votes for Sanders without becoming a left activist? That's most of his voters.

Anyway. If you want to write an essay about white male privilege on the Left, using Occupy as a case study...well, first, don't do it on Twitter. Second, maybe don't start off by framing it in terms of a podcast you don't listen to and know nothing about, especially if, as you claim, it has a large and defensive fanbase.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What's a "left tourist?" Is it anyone who votes for Sanders without becoming a left activist? That's most of his voters.

Anyway. If you want to write an essay about white male privilege on the Left, using Occupy as a case study...well, first, don't do it on Twitter. Second, maybe don't start off by framing it in terms of a podcast you don't listen to and know nothing about, especially if, as you claim, it has a large and defensive fanbase.

PMC, usually.

the kind of people who like the cultural aesthetic of a movement but aren't, how you say, ideologically committed.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that thread sucked, not pro click at all

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PMC, usually.

the kind of people who like the cultural aesthetic of a movement but aren't, how you say, ideologically committed.

so, liberals?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Hi I'm an organizer but I don't want to do anything about all of these people in my orbit they are just locusts. Go away white man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PMC, usually.

I don't think the potsmoking Occupy bros she's talking about are PMC, though. And the cultural aesthetic of the left is the worst part about it. Volunteering is invigorating; being part of the conversation is dispiriting.

Gwen Snyder posted:

See, the DSA and Jacobin clique didn't start with you, or with Bernie.

They've been in the wings yearning for Ye Olde Days of class reductionism since women and POC started making inroads being like nah, actually, sexism/racism/etc is about more than just our paycheck.
mentions 26/

Women and POC have been fighting that snide poo poo and winning space, getting punished, winning space, getting punished since before you were born.

We were getting punished for winning justice and demanding to be heard long before Marx was a twinkle in his Daddy's eye.
Women and POC activists were fighting the "Jacobin clique" in 1817? Does she mean the actual Jacobins? This is a fever dream.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

there is such a thing as a committed liberal. I know, strange but true.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

This was Occupy's messaging by the way

A lone prima ballerina rising above the struggle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Juul-Whip posted:

that thread sucked, not pro click at all
As a detailed admission that Occupy Philly was organized like poo poo, it's very entertaining. A bunch of grifters and scam artists came in, hosed up everything to the point that it threatened the nonprofit status of the actual orgs involved, and her big takeaway is to beware of the dreaded White Bro.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pookel posted:

I agree with this sentiment 100% but omfg that is some loving obnoxious poo poo to try to read. Not even much to do with the twitter format, it just drips with arrogance and 2cool4schoolness.

pookel posted:

nb: I'm not a fan of Chapo either

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

As a detailed admission that Occupy Philly was organized like poo poo, it's very entertaining. A bunch of grifters and scam artists came in, hosed up everything to the point that it threatened the nonprofit status of the actual orgs involved, and her big takeaway is to beware of the dreaded White Bro.

tbf being wary about a white person with dreads is pretty good advice