Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, tales of is just 'tales of' in katakana,「テイルズ オブ」シリーズ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nipponophile posted:

That's "monogatari".

Ah ok. That makes more sense then.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've probably seen a lot less anime than 90% of the people here, so most suggestions you give me I am unlikely to have seen.

Things I've really loved
Spice and Wolf - The interactions between Lawrence and Holo are super endearing. This is probably my number 1.
One Punch Man Season 1 - Total badassery. Awesome animation.
FLCL - Enjoyable story and animation.

Things I've liked
Made In Abyss - Really interesting world. I still want to know what the Abyss is.
Stein's Gate - Enjoyable story and fun character interactions, but I don't really venerate it like a lot of people seem to.
Overlord - Cheesy, but enjoyable.
Konosuba - Cheesy, but enjoyable.

Okay, I guess
Rise of Shield Hero - The first four episodes would probably go into 'loved it', but after that it fell off kind of hard with lolichicken and a lot of tropes. Also half of the characters were retarded.
Hataage - Started off amusing, but I felt like it lost focus. It never really felt like it was building towards anything of substance.
Death Note - I found the first half or so pretty gripping. I would say it peaked with L stealing Misa's cellphone. It kind of devolved into nonsense though.
My Hero Academia - Some enjoyable fights. I find Deku a little flat though. I can appreciate the quality of this one, but battle shounen probably just isn't my favorite genre.

Not that Interested
Elfen Lied - The violence didn't bother me, but Lucy must project a stupidity field or something. The characters don't seem to act with any semblance of logic.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

definitely try Mob Psycho 100 if you haven't seen it and like one punch man, it's the other series from the same artist and has similarly cool animation but also a stronger emotional core to it.

spice and wolf is kinda unique topically but Katanagatari is another historical adventure series with heavy banter between the leads

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tales of Woe posted:

definitely try Mob Psycho 100 if you haven't seen it and like one punch man, it's the other series from the same artist and has similarly cool animation but also a stronger emotional core to it.

spice and wolf is kinda unique topically but Katanagatari is another historical adventure series with heavy banter between the leads

Definitely second Mob Psycho 100 based on your interests so far.

I always recommend Monster to anyone who hasn't seen it, so there's that. If you liked the 1st part of Death Note I can't imagine you'd hate it but it can be a slow burn (worth it imo).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I'll also recommend Mob Psycho 100 as seemingly being right up your alley.

I'd also like to recommend Serial Experiments Lain as an intriguing, unique mystery series that leaves enough room open for the viewer's interpretation to really dig into and get a lot out of examination.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the suggestions gents. It sounds like Mob Psycho 100 has to go to the top of my 'to watch' list. I will also check out Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, and Katanagatari.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've probably seen a lot less anime than 90% of the people here, so most suggestions you give me I am unlikely to have seen.

Re: Zero - In the same "transported to a new world" category as KonoSuba, but serious instead of a comedy and much more dark. Revolves around the main character being able to retry events after dying.
TTGL - Giant robot battle anime by the same studio that mad FLCL. Known for escalating to frankly ludicrous levels.
Dorohedoro - A pair battling evil magic users in defense of their city/to get answers about the mysterious condition one of them has in a mystery turned conspiracy. The anime is still ongoing, and it is probably better read as a manga

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnoHito posted:

Dorohedoro - A pair battling evil magic users in defense of their city/to get answers about the mysterious condition one of them has in a mystery turned conspiracy. The anime is still ongoing, and it is probably better read as a manga

I read and enjoyed the manga but holy poo poo did they manage to make it even more of a confusing clusterfuck or are they just cutting tons of corners or something?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I think it's fine. I've been enjoying the anime so far and haven't read the manga.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I read and enjoyed the manga but holy poo poo did they manage to make it even more of a confusing clusterfuck or are they just cutting tons of corners or something?

As someone who hadn’t read the manga, the first episode or two were a bit confusing, but it seemed to settle down after that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Things I've really loved
Spice and Wolf - The interactions between Lawrence and Holo are super endearing. This is probably my number 1.

Things I've liked
Made In Abyss - Really interesting world. I still want to know what the Abyss is.
Stein's Gate - Enjoyable story and fun character interactions, but I don't really venerate it like a lot of people seem to.

Okay, I guess
Rise of Shield Hero - The first four episodes would probably go into 'loved it', but after that it fell off kind of hard with lolichicken and a lot of tropes. Also half of the characters were retarded.
Hataage - Started off amusing, but I felt like it lost focus. It never really felt like it was building towards anything of substance.
Death Note - I found the first half or so pretty gripping. I would say it peaked with L stealing Misa's cellphone. It kind of devolved into nonsense though.
My Hero Academia - Some enjoyable fights. I find Deku a little flat though. I can appreciate the quality of this one, but battle shounen probably just isn't my favorite genre.

Not that Interested
Elfen Lied - The violence didn't bother me, but Lucy must project a stupidity field or something. The characters don't seem to act with any semblance of logic.

Re;Zero is a cool 'isekai' anime in the same vein as Overlord, KonoSuba, or Shield Hero, but it's more of a mystery thing where the protagonist respawns every time he dies and he has to figure out how to avoid getting killed. Lots of emphasis on him learning to work with other people instead of just taking them for granted.

Kino no Tabi (2003) is an episodic travel anime about the protagonist showing up in a place, talking to the locals, figuring out its weird quirks, then basically just moving on. Sometimes they get involved in the local going ons, sometimes they don't. There's decent banter with their robot motorcycle, plus some interesting episode setups. It's not exactly the same thing as Spice and Wolf, but it gives me a similar vibe. There's a more recent series but it's not as good as the original.

Code Geass is kind of a similar thing to Death Note, where it starts out as a pretty tense thriller (this time with giant robots) but starts to lose itself a bit as it goes on. But I still find the characters pretty strong.

If you liked FLCL it's probably worth checking out all the other classic Gainax stuff, just because a lot of the same people worked on a lot of it. Panty & Stocking, Gurren Lagann, Evangelion are the top picks of that era, though Panty & Stocking is the one that's probably closest to FLCL.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Things I've really loved

Things I've liked

Okay, I guess

Not that Interested
Sounds like That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is right up your alley. Only 24 episodes for now. Nothing mindblowing but decent fun.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

ufarn posted:

Sounds like That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is right up your alley. Only 24 episodes for now. Nothing mindblowing but decent fun.
I actually totally forgot that I have seen that one. It was probably one of my favorite Isekai I've seen too. I liked the logical approach that Rimeru took to handling things, and will definitely watch a season 2.

Endorph posted:

Re;Zero is a cool 'isekai' anime in the same vein as Overlord, KonoSuba, or Shield Hero, but it's more of a mystery thing where the protagonist respawns every time he dies and he has to figure out how to avoid getting killed. Lots of emphasis on him learning to work with other people instead of just taking them for granted.

Kino no Tabi (2003)...
I'll check these out too. Sounds interesting, and I definitely haven't seen them.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 21, 2020

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I haven’t watched anime in forever but I would like to get back into it. I loved Berserk and of course Cowboy Bebop. I watched Trigun but didn’t really enjoy it. No horror.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xeras posted:

I haven’t watched anime in forever but I would like to get back into it. I loved Berserk and of course Cowboy Bebop. I watched Trigun but didn’t really enjoy it. No horror.

That's not a lot to go on, but if you're looking for recent serious action shows, I might try Mob Psycho 100, The Promised Neverland, or Vinland Saga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xeras posted:

If you liked Cowboy Bebop I'd suggest checking out Samurai Champloo (same director) or to round out the trilogy of 1998 space anime classics check out Outlaw Star.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xeras posted:

I'd definitely recommend Vinland Saga if you like Berserk. Mayyybe Attack on Titan, too, it's definitely operating in a similar vein even if it's a bit more for younger teens, it still catches some of the same vibe, especially early on. Anything you're especially looking for, tone/genre wise?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xeras posted:

If you liked Berserk but specifically don't want horror, Vinland Saga is 100% the way to go.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
wrong thread :(

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Finally watched Berserk and loved it. Even liked the three movies.

Perfect level of hosed upness and Lovecraftian horror.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Finally watched Berserk and loved it. Even liked the three movies.

Perfect level of hosed upness and Lovecraftian horror.

check out Kemonozume, it's a horror-romance from the director of Devilman Crybaby

structurally it's a very different kind of show, but when i was a baby anime nerd it was the perfect follow-up to the Berserk TV show's blend of interpersonal drama, violence, and hints of a secret world of monsters intruding into ours

(the other point of overlap is that both Berserk and Kemonozume are very obviously inspired by Devilman, which is part of why Yuasa getting to make a direct adaptation of Devilman was so exciting)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I'm only really giving anime a try for the first time right now after someone strongly recommended Eizouken, and honestly i'm really enjoying it. I've also been watching Haikyu and i've really enjoyed that too. What are some other shows I should check out? I'm not particularly interested in dark and moody stuff.

I'm probably gonna try My Hero Academia at some point soon too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rahzmataz posted:

I'm only really giving anime a try for the first time right now after someone strongly recommended Eizouken, and honestly i'm really enjoying it. I've also been watching Haikyu and i've really enjoyed that too. What are some other shows I should check out? I'm not particularly interested in dark and moody stuff.

check out A Place Further Than The Universe

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If you like Haikyu!!, I would recommend Run with the Wind from last year (and it’s a completed story, too!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rahzmataz posted:

The director of Eizouken, Masaaki Yuasa, has put out a fair amount of anime and they're all great so if you want stuff in a comparable style definitely look up his other stuff (I suggest Tatami Galaxy, personally).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rahzmataz posted:

Check out the Eizouken director's other stuff, yeah. Yuasa's pretty famous and has a decently sized body of work, even if he isn't world shatteringly huge. If you like Haikyu, you'll probably enjoy most well made anime sports stuff, so check out Kuroko's Basketball and Run With The Wind. If you want something slightly more off the beaten path that still fits into sports tropes, you could go for Chihayafuru, which is a series for girls focused on a weird old japanese card game/sport. Karuta's a very odd thing, but the anime explains it pretty well and gets you invested in it, and the sports drama itself is still great. Since it's for girls there's a bit more romantic drama in there, but it mostly works and gives it a different flavor to Haikyu-type stuff, and it doesn't overwhelm the series or anything.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just to sell Run with the Wind a little more than if you like Haikyuu you should watch it (even though that is 100% true) --

You get a similar "underdog team going up against big odds" feeling but part of their challenge is just becoming a team in the first place. On top of that the college setting and having stress and worries about stuff like getting jobs when they graduate gives it a different feeling than a high school sports show. Plus you get really fun drinking party scenes :3: Same folks made both shows as well so you get similar high-quality sports action!!

Watching what the boys overcome as they pull together and work to qualify is really rewarding and it's such a great show.

my shameful confession is I haven't watched the whole thing yet because I cry so much watching each episode I've had to space it out

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Just to sell Run with the Wind a little more than if you like Haikyuu you should watch it (even though that is 100% true) --

You get a similar "underdog team going up against big odds" feeling but part of their challenge is just becoming a team in the first place. On top of that the college setting and having stress and worries about stuff like getting jobs when they graduate gives it a different feeling than a high school sports show. Plus you get really fun drinking party scenes :3: Same folks made both shows as well so you get similar high-quality sports action!!

Watching what the boys overcome as they pull together and work to qualify is really rewarding and it's such a great show.

my shameful confession is I haven't watched the whole thing yet because I cry so much watching each episode I've had to space it out

The final 5 episodes are just ugly cry after ugly cry. In a good way!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Run with the Wind was loving excellent. You almost certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just saw MHA: Heroes Rising and thought it was great. What I'm looking for is anime with great team-up mechanics; none of this Naruto or Bleach one on one or lone savior bullshit. I need characters working in concert, understanding each other's abilities and just getting poo poo done together. Any recs?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just saw MHA: Heroes Rising and thought it was great. What I'm looking for is anime with great team-up mechanics; none of this Naruto or Bleach one on one or lone savior bullshit. I need characters working in concert, understanding each other's abilities and just getting poo poo done together. Any recs?

Symphogear's not bad at this, especially in later seasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hiddenriverninja posted:

Timely given that das Finale 2 just came out on BD but Girls und Panzer is this to the T while also being very funny and heartwarming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is great for this, albeit in a non-shonen genre; Every member of Section 9 has a specialized skillset, and almost of them get the chance to take the lead or just show off their skills in conjunction with the others at some point by the end of both seasons of the show. The only one who doesn't is Boma, and he's pretty much just the muscle anyway :v:. Well and the bomb-disposal guy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, GITS:SAC is excellent for that.

While it's not ALWAYS teamwork fights, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood often has the two brothers working together or with allies to take down stronger foes, and it's basically always gorgeously animated.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

World Trigger is almost entirely squad-based battles, only caveat being the manga is the preferred version since the anime was a fairly cheap Toei adaptation from what I've heard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Also maybe Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace and even Beck had decent elements of that but for music.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blood Blockade Battlefront has a pretty good team dynamic, as does Bungo Stray Dogs.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hiddenriverninja posted:

Soul Eater is an action shonen series about a school that trains pairs of students to fight against witches and other horrors, consisting of one student who can transform into a weapon/s and another, their Meister, who can harmonize their souls with each other and unleash the true potential of their weapon partners. In addition the pairs will sometimes team up as well to take on formidable opponents or to complete group missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jormugand
rescue wings