Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I want to see a quarterback with Cole McDonald's tendencies and Yao Ming's body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Is it bad that I want to see a Voltron qb composed of Cole McDonald and Gardner Minshew?

So cutoffs and dreads?

I'm good with this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

don't forget the mustache

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Becton and Wirfs are jut freaks. Especially Wirfs, dude moves like a defensive tackle at 6'5", 322 lbs and has the biggest quads I've ever seen on a man. Both men definitely improved their stocks, I feel like Wirfs has a pretty good chance to go in front of Becton even because he was damned impressive. Just watching him move was incredible.

Becton is the larger and more impressive specimen though. Could depend on exactly what teams are looking for and what kind of run game they like. Jedrick Wills, Andrew Thomas and Austin Jackson put in really good performances as well, same with some other guys but Becton and Wirfs seemed to differentiate themselves, at least in the athletic testing. Seems like a strong class this year at tackle especially at the top

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1233527013647974400/photo/1

Play fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 29, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Jonathan Taylor finally differentiated himself by beating my perfect Appy boy Darrynton Evans in the 40

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Appy boy Darrynton

Yall gettin wild with these Andy Dalton alternate spellings

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Trey Adams confirmed micro-penis haver

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9KP8kSBB2N/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Jonathan Taylor finally differentiated himself by beating my perfect Appy boy Darrynton Evans in the 40

I like the look of Darrynton. Not as a high pick or anything but he's interesting and could be a good piece in the backfield. Disappointed that JK Dobbins wasn't able to participate, I really wanted to see him and think he could be the best RB in the group. Cam Akers raised his stock for sure by performing well athletically and getting people to take another look at his tape. He's fast, well-sized, catches passes well and still found success behind a pretty questionable O line. Not sure what to think of Jonathan Taylor but he certainly helped himself by getting the fastest 40. Swift looks good but doesn't excite me as much as some commentators.

Overall a kind of plain and average running back class. Fewer interesting guys than usual, a lot of averagely sized guys right around 5'10 and 5'11, 210-220 lbs with a few smaller quick guys like Edward-Helaire and Raymond Calais, who ran fast and could be a nice later round pickup. I'm not positive that any running backs will go in the first round but if it does happen I think it'll be pretty late

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Isaiah Simmons is fast.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Simmons is a freak but the question is can he actually cover or even really rush the passer for that matter. He really turned it on this year in the pass rushing regard but that was just because he was an absolute bullet down gaps. He won't see as many free lanes in the NFL and the tape we do have of him getting stood up isn't that great. He's not positionless in a good way. He's really got to learn how to play football and I think it's pretty evident that he's an off ball LB, probably on the strong side. Only problem is that position asks for a lot of coverage so uh oh on that for a bit for whoever drafts him.

There's so many loving projects this draft it's going to be such a crap shoot.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

Simmons is a freak but the question is can he actually cover or even really rush the passer for that matter. He really turned it on this year in the pass rushing regard but that was just because he was an absolute bullet down gaps. He won't see as many free lanes in the NFL and the tape we do have of him getting stood up isn't that great. He's not positionless in a good way. He's really got to learn how to play football and I think it's pretty evident that he's an off ball LB, probably on the strong side. Only problem is that position asks for a lot of coverage so uh oh on that for a bit for whoever drafts him.

There's so many loving projects this draft it's going to be such a crap shoot.

My issue is with Simmons is that he's not that physical. I'm not talking in the context of a linebacker, either- he's not a physical as say, Xavier McKinney is at almost 40 pounds lighter. IMO Simmons is 100% a strong safety that you're willing to be very flexible with and orient your defense around.

I don't see the coverage stuff, he needs some work in underneath zone coverage, but the guy is out here in man coverage against slot receivers pretty frequently and you can sit there and watch him get to the ball on passes outside of the hashmarks in single-high coverage.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
When the Saints had Vaccaro, they played a lot of 3 safety sets with Kenny either playing in the slot, as a SS, or as a nickel linebacker. I don't see why that couldn't work for Simmons and it would be hard for him to be less effective than Kenny was

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shaking the foundations of everything we believe in in the TFF NFL Draft Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAz-MS0lvs

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eh he compared hand size to QBR which tells some of the story I guess. I think a better thing to do is just run some t-tests comparing hand size to velocity. Only problem with that is the population is very small so even finding significance wouldn't really set out a law that says smaller or larger hand sizes are better.

My guess is smaller fingers = less distance for releasing the ball. It could also mean more torque. Also there's something to be said about blood flow in long fingers as many of the taller athletes have problems with their hands stiffening up after long periods of exercise due to oxygenated blood being distributed to muscles instead. Either way all speculation over something that doesn't matter that much in the long run. There's so many other factors that can sink a QB besides tiny hands.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I think there's something in the idea that just like long arms interferes with a basketball player's ability to shoot 3s with tons of accuracy, there could be something going on similar here. More likely it's just small sample size and random data that doesn't mean much, but it's funny that the numbers, at least in this sense, totally fail to bear out the idea that small hands are bad. Although I thought the original idea was that small hands leads to fumbles which could still be true.

Anyways

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1234282272246902784

E1 and E2 are pretty good

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I suspect there's a minimum size needed to be able to grip more than 180 degrees of the ball and then everything else is overkill.

As I say, I have tiny hands and cannot throw for poo poo as the ball always slips out and I can't get and torque on it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh man i was feeling an egg sandwich and i crushed it. 2 eggs, 2 slices of ham, slice of cheddar on the eggs after i flipped them. eggs came out perfect over medium, moderate amount of sriracha, cajun seasoning before i flipped the eggs. toasting bread always kinda saps the moisture from the bread but i wrapped it in a paper towel to steam the bread a bit and it worked

e: lmao this is not the chat thread

hifi fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 2, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hifi posted:

oh man i was feeling an egg sandwich and i crushed it. 2 eggs, 2 slices of ham, slice of cheddar on the eggs after i flipped them. eggs came out perfect over medium, moderate amount of sriracha, cajun seasoning before i flipped the eggs. toasting bread always kinda saps the moisture from the bread but i wrapped it in a paper towel to steam the bread a bit and it worked

I hope the Falcons draft your sandwich.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hifi posted:

Ah, a Sandwich Montoya.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Who combined the hardest?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

The punter.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

It’s the Brady Bunch but instead a montage of football player vinegar strokes.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
a3 is my fav

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

e2 wins

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Half of them look like they are taking massive dumps

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When someone shows you 2G1C for the first time.

C5 awakening some R. Kelly vibes from it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gatts posted:

Top combiners to move this thread away from the stupid face tweet:

40 yard dash:
1. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama - 4.27
2. Javelin K. Guidry, DB, Utah - 4.29
3. Quez Watskins, WR, Southern Miss - 4.35
4. L'Jarius Sneed, Safety, Louisiana Tech - 4.37
5t. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor - 4.38
5t. Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane - 4.38

Bench Press:
1. Netane Muti, OG, Fresno State - 44
2. Simon Stepaniak, OG, Indiana - 37
3. John Simpson, OG, Clemson - 34
4. Jake Hanson, Center, Oregon - 33
5. Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State - 33

Vertical Jump:
1. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan - 44.5"
2. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU - 42.0"
3. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama - 42.0"
4. Dante Olson, OLB, Montana - 42.0"
5. Kyle Dugger, Safety, Lenoir-Rhyne - 42.0"

Broad Jump:
1. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan - 139.0"
2. Jeremy Chinn, Safety, Southern Illinois - 138.0"
3. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU - 138.0"
4. Willie Gay Jr., OLB, Mississippi State - 136.0"
5. Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State - 135.0"

Three Cone Drill:
1. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor - 6.66
2. K'Von Wallace, Safety, Clemson - 6.76
3. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton - 6.78
4. Myles Bryant, CB, Washington - 6.81
5. Alohi Gilman, Safety, Notre Dame - 6.81

20 Yard Shuttle:
1. John Reid, CB, Penn State - 3.97
2. Myles Bryant, CB, Washington - 4.02
3. JaMycal Hasty, RB, Baylor - 4.03
4. Alohi Gilman, Safety, Notre Dame - 4.08
5t. Isaiah Hodgins, WR, Oregon State - 4.12
5t. Chris Miller, Safety, Baylor - 4.12

Big Winners of the combine: Tristan Wirfs, Jeff Okudah, Denzel Mims, Henry Ruggs III, John Reid, C.J. Henderson, Jonathan Taylor, Darrynton Evans, Isaiah Simmons, Willie Gay Jr., Dante Olson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, both ND safeties, Justin Herbert, Jedrick Willis, Jeremy Chinn, Andrew Thomas, Jordan Love (sadly), Mekhi Becton (sadly), Chase Claypool, Adam Trautman, Khalil Davis, Kyle Dugger, Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman Jr., Jalen Hurts (sadly), Ezra Cleveland, Kenneth Murray.

Thoughts: LBs were supposed to suck this year now we have a bunch that are flirting with the top 50. Dante Olson and Willie Gay Jr. slaughtered the combine, competing with way more athletic positions like it was nothing. Kenneth Murray is gonna be a stud. DBs didn't show up at all outside of Reid, Henderson, and Okudah. I think Fulton had an awful combine but drafniks are loving it for some reason?? He looked stiff in drills and had awful change of direction. Same with Bectons lame rear end drills. You run a 40 fast and people crown you but that's the combine for you. The fact that Raegor ran a 'subpar' 4.47 is ridiculous. WRs are as deep as people expected though. Tons of great testers combined with fantastic gauntlets and positional drills, both in WR and QB drills. Justin Jefferson looks like the leader of the pack. Safeties were supposed to be weak too and now we see a ton of great testers that blew the CBs out of the water. Might see some people move to LB though, like Kyle Dugger. I've never watched a Lenoir-Rhyne game, nor did I know the college existed, but he looks a little big for a safety. TEs popped up out of no where. There were supposed to be some solid top 100 guys this draft but you're going to see guys like Adam Trautman jump into the top 50. A bunch of tackles and OGs had a tough time even though it was supposed to be the deepest position. Bunch of stiff looking guys like Trey Adams or John Simpson although it feels like he's still hurt from the Senior Bowl. Still though Tristan Wirfs looks like one of the best OTs to ever get in the combine. If that translates to the field, woo boy. Despite that Jedrick Wills might compete with him. Two guys that weren't expected to be as fluid in the pass blocking drills but looked beautiful in them. Becton got his rear end kicked in the pass blocking drills but he's not a pass blocker. Biggest combine fallers might be the DEs as a group. Poor A.J. Epenesa went out there and lost millions of dollars. He was never a tester, poor big fella. Same with D'Andre Swift. He's going to see his stock drop just because he's not a pop out tester. The RBs showed up pretty well as a group but it's kinda stupid that Dobbins and Swift are getting stuck behind A.J. Dillon who has perhaps the worst hips in the history of the NFL. Swift looked fantastic in the positional drills, just so much faster and more fluid than anyone else. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is not good, calling it now. He looked so terrible in the drills and the announcers were just sucking him off the entire time. MJD needs to stop being a guest commentator when RBs are testing. Finally QBs. You're gonna hate this but Eason looked great. Effortless throws in the deep sideline drills and looked decent in the short yardage situations. Jordan Love sucked the entire time, I don't understand why he's getting love. He sucks on the field, he sucks in the combine, why is he getting attention? Herbert's 40 time is solidifying his top 25 status. He barely scrambled at Oregon and I think a bunch of GMs are salivating about him. Cole McDonald getting attenion is funny too. He's got nice touch and Hawaii used him well in RPOs but the guy has no power on his throws. He throws like a HS QB. Jalen Hurts couldn't hit anyone in short yardage drills and is getting raised up the draft boards which is concerning because his short game was supposed to be his only strength, especially considering he regressed into Checkdown Charlie midway through the season.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Reagors 40 was only subpar because he was getting hyped as a 4.2 runner. He'll likely make his way back up boards by FA.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He's not a 4.2 guy that's stupid draftnik poo poo. He's a flyer on the field but it's more from his great change of direction and football IQ. The change of direction definitely showed up in the other drills. Every year I get hyped for the combine and every year I get disappointed from how much stock is put into the 40. It's literally the most worthless drill, more worthless than the 60 yard shuttle which no one chooses to participate in.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

You're gonna hate this but Eason looked great. Effortless throws in the deep sideline drills and looked decent in the short yardage situations. Jordan Love sucked the entire time, I don't understand why he's getting love. He sucks on the field, he sucks in the combine, why is he getting attention?

I keep seeing people talk about how Jordan Love can throw from all these awkward angles and positions which leads them to make Mahomes comparisons lol. I will be so disappointed if we draft him.

And yeah, I'm still on the Eason bandwagon. My QB rankings from a month ago haven't changed!

1) Burrow
2) Tua
3) Eason
4) Herbert
5) Love

I might even drop Love out entirely in favor of lovely Jake Fromm just to make a point :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

I keep seeing people talk about how Jordan Love can throw from all these awkward angles and positions which leads them to make Mahomes comparisons lol. I will be so disappointed if we draft him.

And yeah, I'm still on the Eason bandwagon. My QB rankings from a month ago haven't changed!

1) Burrow
2) Tua
3) Eason
4) Herbert
5) Love

I might even drop Love out entirely in favor of lovely Jake Fromm just to make a point :colbert:

1. Tua
2. Herbert
3. Burrow
4. Eason
5. Love

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just saw ESPN / McShay mocking Love to the Chargers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
McShay is a moron

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Totally agree with almost all your combine conclusions Doltos. Nice and concise but shows clearly who really helped themselves and who didn't. Also agreed that MJD needs to just gently caress off in general. That dude is such a lame and never has anything interesting to say

Just as a thought experiment, I've been thinking about the various position groups and how they compare to the average. 5/10 would be a completely average year for the position in this rating scheme.

Quarterbacks: Reasonably strong. No matter what you think about the players themselves, there's a lot to choose from and think about in this class. An obvious number one pick backed up by a few potential first round picks (albeit ones with questions). 6.5/10
Tight ends: really nothing to get excited about. Didn't see any tight ends that seemed to compare very favorably to top guys in previous years. There's some depth but overall 3/10
Receivers: you've already heard this but this receiver class is insane. Really top notch especially at the top and in the middle. I'll bang the table for CeeDee Lamb as much as I have to 9/10
Running backs: kinda boring, honestly. Some solid talent especially on day two. Last year I thought was a slightly down year for running backs and this one, despite having a strong mid round group, is more of the same. The top RB won't get picked until late in the first or the second 4/10
DL: Kinda weak or at least average. Behind Chase Young the edge talent is just okay in this draft. I feel the same about defensive interior, overall. May be some hidden gems 5/10
DBs: When you take them as a whole, decent. Maybe less blue chip players than some previous years, but a decent middle round group as well as some promising safeties. 6/10
Off Ball Linebackers: Pretty strong. The combine really brought some guys into view and demonstrated their speed, which is what this class of linebackers seems to be all about. I think this group will end up overachieving 7/10

Play fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 3, 2020

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

kiimo posted:

Just saw ESPN / McShay mocking Love to the Chargers

Anyone going to the Chargers is going to get mocked

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but the punter had 25 reps.

No, I don't know his name and I won't learn it if you tell me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I like the combine because I like the players

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like every year people poo poo on the quarterbacks.

Then they turn out to be right.

Except in 2012 when Luck, Griffin III, Tannehill and Weedon were surefire picks in the "best QB class everrrrrr" and Russell Wilson was stated as "He compares favorably, both in terms of tools and measurables, to Seneca Wallace and should be able to put together a similar career."

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Eason is kind of an interesting prospect. He's the typical big body, big armed guy that GM's typically love. Him getting forced out of Georgia by Jake Fromm is a major ding against him, but Kirby Smart is a certified moron. So, I don't know that you should really hold that against him. His college numbers aren't great, but they aren't terrible either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a neat cape posted:

McShay is a moron

Good news, so are the Chargers