Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

The first series of Broadchurch was good! Except for the predictable ending. I just ignored him doing really stupid things to the cybermen, oh god

I didn't hate it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Remember that quite nice line in Twice Upon A Time where the First Doctor talks about wanting to live and die as himself

Remember the glimpse of the Doctor's childhood in Listen, where he was lonely and frightened and the adults talked about how useless he was

Remember all those lines about how the Doctor and the Master played together as children

How many moments from the show are now retroactively weird as gently caress because the character was actually a million billion years old and had burned through dozens of regenerations already

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Can someone please explain the Doctors 'magical destiny'.

Cause according to the episode she's a random smuck who fell through a portal, got experimented on, got her brain wiped repeatedly while working for the CIA then went traveling.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheKirbs posted:

Can someone please explain the Doctors 'magical destiny'.

Cause according to the episode she's a random smuck who fell through a portal, got experimented on, got her brain wiped repeatedly while working for the CIA then went traveling.

The Doctor is now one of the founders of Time Lord society, and all Time Lords are essentially her descendants. Regeneration isn't advanced Time Lord technology, it's something they stole from magic child, the Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Davros refers to the Daleks as his children, so the Doctor effectively being the genesis of all Time Lords makes her a thematic mirror to Davros. Of course, in Journey's End the Doctor was already a thematic mirror to Davros with the companions as his "children" but whatever

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think Chibnall can be summed up pretty well by the fact that he reused the end of The Rings of Akhaten, but replaced the fantastic monologue that is the emotional core of the character with the fun actor recap at the end of The Eleventh Hour, making a completely boring hollow moment that had no emotional resonance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The bit where she shorted out the matrix with her surge of memories and CLIP SHOW made me want to throw something at my tv.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

River Song can regenerate because she was conceived on the Tardis while it was in flight

quote:

DOCTOR: But she's human. She's Amy and Rory's daughter.
VASTRA: You've told me about your people. They became what they did through prolonged exposure to the time vortex. The Untempered Schism.
DOCTOR: Over billions of years. It didn't just happen.
VASTRA: So how close is she? Could she even regenerate?

This whole thing is either going to be retconned or revealed to be false as part of a bigger reveal in the next step in Chibnall's five year plan. It's too insane to just be what it looks like on the surface

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

marktheando posted:

The Doctor is now one of the founders of Time Lord society, and all Time Lords are essentially her descendants. Regeneration isn't advanced Time Lord technology, it's something they stole from magic child, the Doctor.

1)Not a magical destiny

2)The Doctor has all but been said to actually be one of Gallifey's founders for years now

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheKirbs posted:

1)Not a magical destiny

Are you really going to defend this tripe?

TheKirbs posted:

2)The Doctor has all but been said to actually be one of Gallifey's founders for years now

When was this? The 'Other' stuff from the Cartmell Masterplan never made it onto screen.

2house2fly posted:

River Song can regenerate because she was conceived on the Tardis while it was in flight

This whole thing is either going to be retconned or revealed to be false as part of a bigger reveal in the next step in Chibnall's five year plan. It's too insane to just be what it looks like on the surface

tbf that was also really stupid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

the Cartmell Masterplan

YOU SPOKE THE FORBIDDEN WORDS

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
The shame here is that in the last few episodes we've finally gotten scenes of ANGRY 13 and those really worked.

Honestly, the reveal was dumb for all of the reasons shared. Yet, I can't quite get as angry because it doesn't really mean anything in the long-run. We KNOW the Doctor is always going to regenerate for as long as the show is popular. We know there's still a cost to regenerations in the form of a new person walking away who is you but not you, so I don't think the Doctor would use it any more than already has been.

I feel like literally nothing important to the future of the show has changed because of this dumb retcon.

The Doctor is super-special now? The revival changed her from just a wandering explorer on the run from her own race to THE LONELY GOD. THE LAST OF THE TIME LORDS. The Doctor stopped being just another Time Lord the day the new series premiered.

Hell, at least this wasn't Moffatt literally killing the Doctor and having a trans-mat clone take her place going forward.

But yes, please, less Chibnall writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Destroying Gallifrey again was pretty goddamned stupid.

I'm also not really enjoying Space Joker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

YOU SPOKE THE FORBIDDEN WORDS

LOOMS LOOMS LOOMS LOOMS LOOMS LOOMS

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Let's go through it.

k I'm ultimately disappointed with this doctor who episode and the season as a whole.

But to be fair, it's more of a stepped on my foot, then ruined my dreams sort of thing.

Not a fan of the new Master. He's not even chewing the scenery properly and I have a benchmark for quality in this regard (Neal Mcdonough). He was just annoying. Not as bad as Paul Simms, but nowhere near as good as Missy.

Plus seriously cheesed that I heard Ace was supposed to be making a cameo this season and her lack of Ace will knock down my score.

But comparatively, I thought the acting was good, and watching the humans deal with cyberman was descent. Jodie Whittaker is doing a great job with the doctor and, Yaz is actually allowed to do things, and Graham is the greatest companion since the Pond's.

Now only they could could get somebody from big finish to write the scripts.

Events that annoyed me more in doctor who:

1. Let's go kill Hitler. You don't title this and then make it a river song focus peace. It made me hate the character with a passion and it's not her fault at all.

2. Clara - She was a mary sue upon mary sue character that was the third and worst version with two other examples that were way better concepts. She couldn't even die properly like Aldric (and worse followed up with a crappy galafrey episode).

3. The golden age destroyed by the 10th doctor - Prime Minister Harriet Jones is the greatest hero of nuwho and if Tennant's character hadn't been such a whiny person, we might actually have something interesting happening. Then he makes fun of queen victory in the next episode. There is a reason tennant annoys me as the doctor. Donna Noble with a rolled up newspaper couldn't come soon enough.

So yet another bad Galafrey episode that makes Trial of a Time Lord look amazing.

Last time I was mad when they took 18 months off (heck I think I even got a warning).

This time, I'm kinda glad we have the time.

Chibnall, stand in the corner and think long and hard of what you have done.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Destroying Gallifrey again was pretty goddamned stupid.

Seriously, if Chibnall didn't want the Time Lords around and interfering with the Doctor's hijinks...then just don't use them. It's not mandatory they make an appearance once per season or anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Heaven Sent takes place in a closed loop. It's not media literate to interpret it as "killing" the Doctor a billion times.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

GENERAL: It's delusional. The calculations alone would take hundreds of years.

DOCTOR: Oh, hundreds and hundreds. But don't worry, I started a very long time ago.
*all the Doctor's previous Tardises vworp in*
DOCTOR: You might say I've been doing this all my lives!
I might not say that any more!

DoctorWhat posted:

Heaven Sent takes place in a closed loop. It's not media literate to interpret it as "killing" the Doctor a billion times.
The Doctor's old body is destroyed when his new one is teleported in, consuming him as fuel to complete the process ("all you need for energy is something to burn") so even if you do see it as him being killed a billion times... he's being reborn from himself, a phoenix rising from his own ashes. He's basically just doing a Tennant hand thing and regenerating into himself

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 2, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't know how else the show would keep explaining the Doctors inevitable endless regenerations for years to come in future seasons and actors but her being the Timeless Child with (an apparently) limitless regenerations is a fine one with me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know how else the show would keep explaining the Doctors inevitable endless regenerations for years to come in future seasons and actors but her being the Timeless Child with limitless regenerations is a fine one with me.

Since this isn't a problem that would come up for ten more regenerations, I don't think Chibnall needed to address it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Steven Moffat erased the regeneration limit. It's gone. The last we ever had to hear of it was Rassilon saying "how many regenerations did we grant you?" a question that was never answered

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

marktheando posted:

Since this isn't a problem that would come up for ten more regenerations, I don't think Chibnall needed to address it.

Yeah. Say what you will about the Time of the Doctor, but it wrapped up the 'running out of regenerations' concept in a way that makes sense - restart the clock via the Time Lords when the Doctor is near perma-death. Imagine if 6 was written by Chibnall!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Show was always destined to go downhill once they peaked with Clara but holy moly this newest retcon is really making me think I've not missed much by not seeing any of the 13th doctor yet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It probably just isnt anything to work yourself into a froth about since nothing matters in Doctor Who until it does again.

The 15th Doctor finds Gallifrey is flourishing as a rogue band of Time Lords escaped Rassillion in the past and decided to come back now that the planet was truly dead. The Timeless Child? Sorry we dont know what that is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Show was always destined to go downhill once they peaked with Clara

lmao

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Show was always destined to go downhill once they peaked with Clara but holy moly this newest retcon is really making me think I've not missed much by not seeing any of the 13th doctor yet.

I rather liked the souffle making dalek so I have to agree with you. :)

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
Well, at least this means that Rowan Atkins and all of the others from Curse of the Fatal Death are now canon Doctors, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sieje posted:

Well, at least this means that Rowan Atkins and all of the others from Curse of the Fatal Death are now canon Doctors, right?

Absolutely.

But don't tell Moffat and RTD, they'll come up with stupid catchphrases for each one of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

People can cry all they want about Mary Sue in the show about Doctor Gary Stu but she was my favourite companion and I had no idea Whofans hated her (and I guess, kind of, everything?) until after she was gone. I liked her Doctors and the stories from their runs so idgi wrt the hate.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Rowan Atkinson's Doctor has a catch phrase, but it's in Slitheen. :p

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Khanstant posted:

People can cry all they want about Mary Sue in the show about Doctor Gary Stu but she was my favourite companion and I had no idea Whofans hated her (and I guess, kind of, everything?) until after she was gone. I liked her Doctors and the stories from their runs so idgi wrt the hate.

I don't hate her, she just isn't as cool as Amy and Rory or Bill, and her ending is really crap. But I'd watch any Clara episode over this last one, even Hell Bent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

I don't hate her, she just isn't as cool as Amy and Rory or Bill,

Donna Nobel knows no equal.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Donna Nobel knows no equal.

If "no equal" you mean roughly equivelent to Ace, Jamie, Sarah Jane and the Brigadeer. :p

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Next season: Chibnall reveals The Doctor's name, because how else could we enjoy the story if we don't know her real name?

Her real name ends up being Thedo C. Tor.

Now you may think that's stupid. But! You haven't considered what does the C stand for?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Sieje posted:

Also Shalka Doctor and Peter Cushing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shades of eternity posted:

If "no equal" you mean roughly equivelent to Ace, Jamie, Sarah Jane and the Brigadeer. :p

He only listed revival companions!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

2house2fly posted:

Remember that quite nice line in Twice Upon A Time where the First Doctor talks about wanting to live and die as himself

I really liked the bits in that episode where the Doctor is scared to go through with his first regeneration because it's such a life changing event for him, and the 12th Doctor feeling burnt out, but then deciding that it's worth going on by regenerating. Or even the Fifth Doctor being scared that he won't regenerate? Or the Second furious that they're going to make him regenerate? Such great character bits, retroactively undermined.

Is it just me, or does Gallifrey look a bit....small? How did the Master wipe out all the Time Lords, did he just punch them all until they ran out of regenerations - so it took the entire Dalek Empire using time power technology on a huge, abstract scale to defeat Gallifrey, but the Master did it by himself? And what about the other time lords who weren't in on the scheme? Wouldn't most Time Lords be unaware of the timeless child, if it happened in Gallifrey's distant past, and Rassilon's legacy has been white washed? And what about Rassilon?

Judgement of the Judoon teased great things, as did Spyfall, but that reveal made no sense.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He only listed revival companions!

Yeah I was just comparing Clara to other Moffat companions. Obviously none of them are as cool as Ace.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Cripes, what a train wreck. Totally burned up any goodwill they made this season.

What was everyone’s least favourite parts?

5) The Doctor escaping the Matrix by thinking hard.
4) The finale being a button press moment
3) Killing off the Half Cyberman after 2 1/2 episodes like a chump. Why did he make other Cyberman scream? What was the point of him grinding that one? Why was he a zealot before he was converted? Why was his master plan so lovely?
2) The Cyber Masters & The Master.
1) The Doctor being the timeless child & all the BS that came with it.

Like so many small parts that really sucked.

I was really enjoying the last two episodes and was really looking forward to the Ireland reveal, Yaz doing something and maybe seeing Jack again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So the Master should actually be well and truly dead now, right?

Just kidding, totally not dead yet.